Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone is enamored with where they grew up. Southern California has it’s fans, but there are downsides, like the traffic, the smog, the mind numbing sameness of never ending tract homes interspersed with near identical shopping venues, the lack of seasons. I’m reminded of Gertrude Stein’s description of Oakland whenever I’ve spent time down there (I’m a native of northern CA) ‘there is no there there.’
I think it’s telling that Meghan doesn’t seem to have returned to SoCal very often after she moved to Toronto for Suits.
It’ll be interesting to see what the couple does for the holidays going forward, unlike the Middletons, Meghan’s parents don’t have living situations that would easily accommodate Meghan, Harry, their children and the RPOs.
Exactly.

To be fair I have seen a few pics of Meghan back in the States since she moved to Canada. But I have seen more (via Instagram / press) of her in other places, too. ?

Daily Mail is reporting Meghan's nephew and mom ( Tom Jr's ex wife) have not received invitations to the wedding, but they will be guests of Good Morning Britain at Windsor. The comments are none too kind and I think the public see the Markles as opportunists. Rightfully so.

Just on a whim and for something to do while drinking my morning coffee, I let my fingers do some walking and from what I've found, it seems like the Daily Fail may just have their facts twisted in regards to Tom Jr's ex-wife and Good Morning Britain. This is what I found. It it recent and only posted today.

https://www.mcduffieprogress.com/li...cle_3dd9c2d9-9be2-5e96-9f98-3f1151c63cf1.html

Meghan spent a bit of time back in LA and when she did it was usually staying with the close girlfriends. Meghan didn't post many pictures of her with them but they would of her on their own personal IG accounts as it was in their home with their kids. Meghan likely didn't feel comfortable posting that kind of stuff to her followers. But that just goes to show that likely when she does go back to LA that she will be extremely careful in how she goes about it. I do suspect Doria will find herself in London more than Meghan will be in LA.

As for the Markles? They are disgusting and not even surprised they are exploiting it. I did get a laugh when the interview flat out called them out on the fact they were expecting an invite after not seeing someone for 20 years. Pathetic is an understatement. But to fly out to cover a wedding of a woman who probably can't even remember your name? Lowest of low and shame on GMB!

Last edited:
These distant, estranged relatives just continue to embarrass themselves. Someone who hasn't seen Meghan in 20 years has the audacity to go on and do an interview and even hint, that they expected a wedding invitation. Seriously?! And the nephew hasn't talked to Meghan for more than 3 years, hasn't seen her in six. What are they on, what's feeding their delusions? I highly doubt rolling these people into their studio for wedding commentary will bring in any viewers. Shame on GMB, tbh.

The press knows that these people have no current contact with Meghan and they have not spoken in years. They just want to use these shameless money hungry people to shame Meghan. Its funny how the daily fail tried to paint Meghan's mother as a gangster which was a blatant lie, yet the OTHER side is the only one speaking.

No problem with diversity in London or Birmingham. I think the school Prince George attends the students speak over 19 languages.

The Sussex children certainly won’t grow up only see white kids.
Diversity isn't just about skin colour.
It's also about class, income, cultural background, religion etc... which, I'd say, is a challenge to any member of a royal family - how do you give your child a top education and at the same time expose them to other people than those in an elite milieu.

Last edited:
Perhaps I should call around to the TV stations and offer my services as correspondent. I'm sure if I dug hard and long enough, somewhere in my ancestral family tree I'm related to Meghan somehow. :lol:

I seriously don't think any TV station worth their salt that will be covering the wedding find any of the Markle estranged family worth talking to. I also, for the life of me, can't see all these TV stations having their correspondents right smack dab there in Windsor. I can, however, see them bringing in these little known bit players into a time slot that is either done in the studio or even by a video feed from the comfort of their own homes.

All I know is that if *any* TV station is looking at these people, they're scraping the bottom of the barrel and wasting their money.

OH! I just had a thought. Perhaps the media in financing and paying for Markle rejects on the invitation list are bringing them to Windsor and setting them all up in their own little section just to broadcast the "rejected family" to the world.
Wouldn't put it past the tabloids. What do rejects wear to a royal wedding anyhow? :D
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The press knows that these people have no current contact with Meghan and they have not spoken in years. They just want to use these shameless money hungry people to shame Meghan. Its funny how the daily fail tried to paint Meghan's mother as a gangster which was a blatant lie, yet the OTHER side is the only one speaking.

I agree that this is likely the root of all the publicity given to these folks. :sad: But I doubt they are getting a scale of money that satisfies 'money hungry'. More complicated motives afoot from both sides methinks.

No problem with diversity in London or Birmingham. I think the school Prince George attends the students speak over 19 languages. The Sussex children certainly won’t grow up only see white kids.

Not sure why my comments would necessitate a 'defense' of London's diversity. :sad: My waxing lyrical regarding LA was not then a diss of London. Had me flummoxed there for a bit with your response.

Really interesting to see the responses. :huh:

I find the rationales given for the stated expectations regarding how they live their private lives chilling. Harry lost two previous girlfriends because of public hounding (there were likely other reasons but public hounding played its part). The public making overmuch of personal decisions related to Meghan's foreign roots could well be a wedge that causes disruption in the marriage into the future. Not saying it will but it certainly could.

I stand by my view that Meghan will likely want to expose her children to her American sensibilities. Having a home base in LA makes sense for a whole raft of reasons and I hope they do it. :flowers: There are other royals, and have been other royals, who own properties outside of Britain, so why Harry and Meghan should be penalized in public opinion for doing the same is a puzzle to me.

Last edited:
I don't know if Meghan will want to keep a home in LA as she didn't do that while living in Toronto. She certainly had enough time off to keep a second home in LA if she wished. I'm sure any children they might have will visit for vacations, but I don't know if that'll be enough for them to decide if they want to maintain a permanent home rather than renting out a place in a secure neighborhood when they do visit.

I would question the outcry if they want to privately fund a second home. After all, unless something changes drastically, the children will be born as dual citizens. And once they are grown up, I wouldn't be so sure they'll renounce as they'll be private citizens and might find living in US easier than in UK.

Diversity isn't just about skin colour.
It's also about class, income, cultural background, religion etc... which, I'd say, is a challenge to any member of a royal family - how do you give your child a top education and at the same time expose them to other people than those in an elite milieu.

Easy. By example. Actually families like William and Kate with their children have the advantage of setting an example. When mommy or daddy go to "work", the kids get a general idea of what mommy and daddy are doing. Hence, I disagree that a royal family has a challenge when it comes to experiencing and teaching their children about diversity.

An prime example is how Charles and Diana raised their boys. They had the very best in education and affluent home life but were also exposed to the everyday world at times like with Centrepoint. The days of little royals living secluded behind palace walls and sheltered away at "elite" school away from the hoi polloi are just about over.

I don't know if Meghan will want to keep a home in LA as she didn't do that while living in Toronto. She certainly had enough time off to keep a second home in LA if she wished.

As a single person it didn't make sense to maintain two households when she could stay at her mother's easily enough when she visited, or with friends. JMO. She was renting in Toronto. Why buy in LA? Who knows where her next gig might have taken her? Atlanta, Georgia. Romania. Never know. :flowers: In her case her next gig has turned out to be London. ;)

I'm sure any children they might have will visit for vacations, but I don't know if that'll be enough for them to decide if they want to maintain a permanent home rather than renting out a place in a secure neighborhood when they do visit.

True enough. :flowers: It will depend on what they find most comfortable. I was positing a house purchase mainly for the sake of Doria. Just an idea.

There is another option and that is to have access to the home of wealthy friends on a regular basis. That certainly could be arranged and would give continuity and security for the children. Tumbling about for children is never good in the long haul. (It's why some celebrities choose to have houses in various locales in my experience).

I would question the outcry if they want to privately fund a second home. After all, unless something changes drastically, the children will be born as dual citizens. And once they are grown up, I wouldn't be so sure they'll renounce as they'll be private citizens and might find living in US easier than in UK.

Agree. :ermm: Especially given other royals have owned and do own properties outside the UK. It would seem a double standard is operating.

Last edited:
expose them to other people than those in an elite milieu.

This IS a genuine issue, but has [in the past] been addressed by 'gap year' periods for some of the Princes, in the Commonwealth, or [equally valid and useful] in the armed forces, where persons of EVERY 'station' are to be found.
I myself was educated at an 'elite' school in England, and the 'social' [altho' NOT 'racial'] mix WAS narrow. The only time some boys experienced 'another life' was when their Father went Bankrupt and they promptly left for a less expensive milieu.

This IS a genuine issue, but has [in the past] been addressed by 'gap year' periods for some of the Princes, in the Commonwealth, or [equally valid and useful] in the armed forces, where persons of EVERY 'station' are to be found.
I myself was educated at an 'elite' school in England, and the 'social' [altho' NOT 'racial'] mix WAS narrow. The only time some boys experienced 'another life' was when their Father went Bankrupt and they promptly left for a less expensive milieu.

Wyevale do you mind me asking if your family it titled? If you'd rather not say that's okay :flowers:

LaRae

I agree that this is likely the root of all the publicity given to these folks. :sad: But I doubt they are getting a scale of money that satisfies 'money hungry'. More complicated motives afoot from both sides methinks.

Not sure why my comments would necessitate a 'defense' of London's diversity. :sad: My waxing lyrical regarding LA was not then a diss of London. Had me flummoxed there for a bit with your response.

Really interesting to see the responses. :huh:

I find the rationales given for the stated expectations regarding how they live their private lives chilling. Harry lost two previous girlfriends because of public hounding (there were likely other reasons but public hounding played its part). The public making overmuch of personal decisions related to Meghan's foreign roots could well be a wedge that causes disruption in the marriage into the future. Not saying it will but it certainly could.

I stand by my view that Meghan will likely want to expose her children to her American sensibilities. Having a home base in LA makes sense for a whole raft of reasons and I hope they do it. :flowers: There are other royals, and have been other royals, who own properties outside of Britain, so why Harry and Meghan should be penalized in public opinion for doing the same is a puzzle to me.

Which bits did you find chilling? I find the opinions posters have given so far, fair and reasonable. People marrying into BRF or royalty in general understand what that would entail particularly in this modern era. Of course certain boundaries have to be adhered to, but conversely there are also opportunities to be had, as in, bigger platforms to engage in charitable work. Something that interests Meghan greatly and which this happily in love couple share in common, amongst other things. That to me, outweighs any political restriction, negatives, a great deal.

Before Meghan, Harry had a couple of serious on/off very volatile relationships. And with one he seemed too young to settle down, anyway. Being hounded by the press goes with the territory when one is engaged in a high profile relationship or career. The other has since gone into acting, a media/press-publicity-driven world riddled with paps a-plenty, so publicity/hounding couldn’t have been that much of a problem then.

Harry has now met the right woman in Meghan and likewise she, him. My opinion is that he previously hadn’t met someone he was genuinely willing to commit to plus he had issues which has now been dealt with. These two have both matured and experienced the world, learned from past mistakes I’m sure and know what they want. This will certainly put them in good stead.

Personally I find the ‘extreme culture shock’ some have spoken of and this “unsuitability” “incompatibility” predicted of this couple far exaggerated. And rather odd. Meghan is well traveled and adapts easily plus she is living here now and doing just fine. She has friends here and has visited several times before. One of her close compatriots is married to an Englishman and lives here as well as do many North Americans. Granted, they aren’t all married into British royalty, but there is one and she seems to be handling it just fine.

You did mention Mary of Denmark, well she has a much bigger role as a future queen and she’s come all the way from down under. I don’t need to point out the various other similarities on the continent. These ladies have taken to royalty like ducks to water.

Her Majesty has given Meghan her support, so as HRH Prince Charles, and of course her loving fiancé and I’m sure several other members of the RF. That is what counts. And I must say Meghan excels herself ‘shutting out the noise’?

Last edited:
Samantha, Tyler and his mom are invited over as guests for these shows to be punching bags. These shows know how the public feels about them and I think they are being set up for viewers to tear into them on live TV and put up live mean Tweets as to get their reactions. One of the late night shows in the US has a segment called Mean Tweets. The target is a celebrity and that person reads the tweet about him or her (and they have been vicious) in front of a studio audience, broadcasting live. These shows are competing for viewers on that day. The GMB host just laid the groundwork.

Its been years since I've watched a late night "talk" show or programs like Good Morning (whereveryouare) and from what I've just read, I'm not missing anything at all worthwhile.

All I know is that I'm going to be selective in where I watch and stream the wedding on May 19th. I prefer wedding coverage and not a gaggle of talking heads trying to get the focus on themselves.

About Meghan’s background, her mum divorced the dad when she was six and she primarily lived with her mum afterwards. I think I read somewhere that she moved out with her mum when she was two yrs old as that was when her parents actually separated. The official divorce occurred when she was six. That is not to say she did not spend anytime at all with her dad. She did and she says so herself. She spent time after school on an acting set with the dad. And there were those occasions she spent time with his extended family. But she primarily lived with her mother. And brought up by her mother particularly during her formative teenage years. Which is a very important time growing up. And does determine certain influences.

Now, if we are to believe Samantha’s version of her OWN living arrangements, she says she’d been living with her dad since she was 12yrs old. That is more than enough time for her dad to make up for whatever shortfalls of parenting people like to claim she missed out on. Her important formative teenage years were spent growing up and living around/with her father.

The post on the CoA thread was off topic so I am pasting it here.

Greed, hate, jealousy in their extremity are a very powerful combination particularly in those two who know deep down in their hearts of hearts they will never be one and the same as Meghan (as much as they love to pretend otherwise). She may have had bits of other influences in her life besides her mum’s. But Doria’s BLOOD/love/nurture/ethic, and more importantly her guidance - burns strong and runs right through her only child’s very being. And it shows. They are different from Meghan and don’t they just know it.

Sharing a surname cannot mitigate that. CoA or no CoA.

Last edited:
About Meghan’s background, her mum divorced the dad when she was six and she primarily lived with her mum afterwards. I think I read somewhere that she moved out with her mum when she was two yrs old as that was when her parents when her parents actually separated. The official divorce occurred when she was six. That is not to say she did not anytime at all with her dad. She did as as she says so herself. She spent time after school on an acting set with the dad. And there were those occasions she spent time with his extended family. But she primarily lived with her mother. And brought up by her mother’s particularly during her formative teenage years. Which is a very important time growing up. And does determine certain influences.

Now, if we are to believe Samantha’s version of her OWN living arrangements, she says she’d been living with her dad since she was 12yrs old. That is more than enough time for her dad to make up for whatever shortfalls of parenting people like to claim she missed out on. Her important teenage formative years were spent growing up and living with her father.
Actually, Meghan pretty much split her time in between the parents. In fact, in one in-depth piece that was done I believe after the engagement, it said she lived with her father primarily while Doria worked as a flight attendant. By her own accounts, her mother and father were both heavily involved in raising her.

As for Samantha, I have no idea what happened to her, but clearly something went down the wrong path at some point.

Well I read differently to yours and there are many varying reports flying about. Yet it is still undisputed that she primarily lived with her mum. I have not read it confirmed by Meghan that her mum worked as a flight attendant. And I never said she hadn’t spent part of her childhood with the dad. In fact I stated she did spend time with him as well as members of his family including his other children. And her mother’s family too.

Two 50 year old children who don't have close relationships with their OWN children or their own mother. Who have had little or no contact with Meghan but where the first ones to speak constantly to the press. Thomas was caught going to KP trying to extort money in order to set up a business.

Meghan owes them NOTHING, if their own children can't stand them, then why is Meghan obligated to them.

Well I read differently to yours and there are many varying reports flying about. Yet it is still undisputed that she primarily lived with her mum. I have not read it confirmed by Meghan that her mum worked as a flight attendant. And I never said she hadn’t spent part of her childhood with the dad. In fact I stated she did spend time with him as well as members of his family including his other children. And her mother’s family too.

It should be noted that the story regarding Meghan's mother comes from noted liar Samantha.

Last edited by a moderator:
The post on the CoA thread was off topic so I am pasting it here.

Greed, hate, jealousy in their extremity are a very powerful combination particularly in those two who know deep down in their hearts of hearts they will never be one and the same as Meghan (as much as they love to pretend otherwise). She may have had bits of other influences in her life besides her mum’s. But Doria’s BLOOD/love/nurture/ethic, and more importantly her guidance - burns strong and runs right through her only child’s very being. And it shows. They are different from Meghan and don’t they just know it.

Sharing a surname cannot mitigate that. CoA or no CoA.

Nicely summed up, Lady Reem. :flowers: Very true.

In fairness to Tom Sr he married young and clueless and that first family did not benefit from his constant presence or care in the same way that Meghan did. We already know that Tom Sr gave Meghan important life guidance which she was likely able to 'hear' because of Doria, and because of the sensitivity being bi-racial demanded of Meghan. In sum, just a very different life experience created a very different woman. Message to everyone: look carefully before you leap into making babies with anyone! :ermm:

What contact does Meghan have with her paternal uncle Frederick Markle and his family?

According to this article, Meghan was primarily raised by her mother:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a16405569/meghan-markle-mother-doria-ragland/

Another article from the Daily Mail states Doria worked as flight attendant "after separating from her husband, Thomas Markle, when Meghan was young."

How Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle's mums are similar | Daily Mail Online

All I have to say is Doria did an excellent job. Just compare Meghan to her half-siblings. And unlike other family members, both Doria and Thomas Sr. have displayed the utmost dignity by keeping their mouths firmly shut.

BTW I have always been told (and been of the opinion) that most aspects of character/personality have been set in motion by the teenage years. :ermm: By the time a child reaches 13-14 any issues have to be sorted out by the individual themselves. If they are fortunate they meet with beneficent influences that they are able to receive but by the teenage years they have to have that opening or it's a tough row to hoe. JMO. ;)

It should be noted that the story regarding Meghan's mother comes from noted liar Samantha.

At one point she was claiming she had raised Meghan as a child ???

Come on, I mean she is after all renowned for her exemplary parenting :lol:

At one point she was claiming she had raised Meghan as a child ???

Come on, I mean she is after all renowned for her exemplary parenting :lol:

We are to believe that? so who was raising her oldest children who are only 5 years younger than Meghan?
Save

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom