The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #421  
Old 12-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Honestly, you are comparing apples to oranges her. Guardian is a Republican leaning paper to begin with and the DF is the DF. Their commenters aren’t even all British citizens.
Your comments on media commentary are also a little naive. Guardian readers are often republicans, yes. The Daily Mail is a newspaper. A very widely read and popular newspaper. Don't write them off simply because you don't like the views they print. Look at the commentators. Take them seriously, even if you believe them to be the minority. A few will absolutely be bots or paid comments but add together the Guardian readers, the Sun readers, the Telegraph readers, the Daily Mail readers, the Morning Star readers, the Times readers, the Indie readers, the Spectator readers....and what do you have? You have at least some indication of a general view. Not the majority view, I stress that. But a view which nonetheless exists and must be taken seriously. Then will you budge and accept that this issue with Meghan's sister might be worth giving a little bit of thought to in the future?

Ish makes a good point. Yes, this could happen to any member of the Royal Family and not just Meghan. You make several good points - it may never happen. This might be all she has and now it's gone, she'll fade away into obscurity. But the ostrich approach is a dangerous one. The monarchy absolutely cannot withstand any more "minor issues" or major scandals for that matter once there's a change of government. Looking long term, Meghan will have to find a way to deal with this sort of thing to minimise the damage if something bigger comes out in her sister's book that makes the front pages. It's about damage control. Today, it's easy. Harry shouldn't have provoked Samantha in this way. It was a silly comment to make. But what about in 6 months or a year when the book is out and it's not so easy to ignore in a political climate that has run out of patience?
__________________

  #422  
Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
In Twitter world (that I'm seeing) about this half sister the majority of folks think she's just out to cause trouble.

FB is trending the same way on the threads I'm seeing about it. Samantha needs to go away and stop trying to cause trouble is the general consensus.


LaRae
__________________

  #423  
Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
In Twitter world (that I'm seeing) about this half sister the majority of folks think she's just out to cause trouble.

FB is trending the same way on the threads I'm seeing about it. Samantha needs to go away and stop trying to cause trouble is the general consensus.


LaRae
I'm seeing the same, so I think that is definitely a more representative view. But my argument is that we can't just write the opposing view off as if it doesn't exist or isn't important.
  #424  
Old 12-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
In Twitter world (that I'm seeing) about this half sister the majority of folks think she's just out to cause trouble.

FB is trending the same way on the threads I'm seeing about it. Samantha needs to go away and stop trying to cause trouble is the general consensus.


LaRae
I'm seeing the same. To every 'pro' Samantha comment, there are 15-20 'have some shame and stop cashing on your sister' comments.
  #425  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
The monarchy isn't going anywhere unless the majority of the folks under said monarchy desire it.

There's always going to be people who don't like what the monarchy does because they don't like the monarchy.



LaRae
  #426  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
I hardly doubt Meghan has done anything that would be on a scale to affect the lives of millions in a country that she wasn't living in at that time. Samantha Markle isn't worth giving time to by Meghan or Harry.
  #427  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
As I said before, I hope you're right in that. And I hope you're right when you say that she has nothing else to say of any consequence. I really do hope so.
  #428  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
As I said before, I hope you're right in that. And I hope you're right when you say that she has nothing else to say of any consequence. I really do hope so.
It makes me wonder why you are afraid that there *is* more that she has to say. You seem to be afraid that this is only the beginning, why the fear?
Why assume the worst?
  #429  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:35 AM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Meghan Markle: Family and Background

Why not? Better to be prepared for worse to come and be pleasantly surprised than to say itís nothing and then have to rush to defend it when it occurs. I donít know that there is more, you donít know that there isnít. But I tend to take Baden Powellís advice: be prepared.
  #430  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
If there was anything deep/dark and serious the folks who vetted Meghan when Harry started dating her would of already found it out. Not to mention the media who have no ethics at all when it comes to these things. They've had almost 2 years to dig up something...nada.


LaRae
  #431  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Why not? Better to be prepared for worse to come and be pleasantly surprised than to say it’s nothing and then have to rush to defend it when it occurs. I don’t know that there is more, you don’t know that there isn’t. But I tend to take Baden Powell’s advice: be prepared.
Look, we are all prepared that the next time there is news from Meghan and Harry, Samantha would be bringing herself out to chat about it. And likely, when the wedding rolls around, she'll be crying poor me when she doesn't get an invite to the wedding. However, after a year of alternating between trashing and praising her half-sister, and admitting to not having any contact in almost 10 years, there is little facts offered by her because she, quite frankly, just isn't part of Meghan's life and hasn't been in a long time. I highly doubt that's going to change.
  #432  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
If there was anything deep/dark and serious the folks who vetted Meghan when Harry started dating her would of already found it out. Not to mention the media who have no ethics at all when it comes to these things. They've had almost 2 years to dig up something...nada.


LaRae
That's true. Though any good journalist worth his salt knows a story will have far more of an impact after the marriage than it will before.

Quote:
However, after a year of alternating between trashing and praising her half-sister, and admitting to not having any contact in almost 10 years, there is little facts offered by her because she, quite frankly, just isn't part of Meghan's life and hasn't been in a long time. I highly doubt that's going to change.
I've conceded that point twice before now. I doubt it too. But just as I can't say it definitely will be an issue, you can't say it definitely won't be. The truth is, only Meghan and Samantha know what Meghan and Samantha know. It'll be upto Samantha to share anything more as and when she chooses and for Meghan to be prepared for that.
  #433  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Why not? Better to be prepared for worse to come and be pleasantly surprised than to say it’s nothing and then have to rush to defend it when it occurs. I don’t know that there is more, you don’t know that there isn’t. But I tend to take Baden Powell’s advice: be prepared.
Why not? Why yes may be the better question. It seems an exhausting way to take things and surely not one for me, but if it is convenient for you then good for you.
I was just wondering as you have stated that the BRF can't take any more storms or scandals. If that would be so -and if there would be reason to expect that any might yet come- then the institution would be really fragile, which it's not.
They have seen much worse than a jealous half-sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Look, we are all prepared that the next time there is news from Meghan and Harry, Samantha would be bringing herself out to chat about it. And likely, when the wedding rolls around, she'll be crying poor me when she doesn't get an invite to the wedding. However, after a year of alternating between trashing and praising her half-sister, and admitting to not having any contact in almost 10 years, there is little facts offered by her because she, quite frankly, just isn't part of Meghan's life and hasn't been in a long time. I highly doubt that's going to change.
I agree. And, *if* something would come up, no one other than Meghan would be prepared to deal with it. I really don't think she and Harry have not discussed this yet, so I really don't expect anything "tragic" to occur.

She is not to be held responsible for the actions of a relative that she hasn't seen in ages. Anyone with a sound mind would think the same, I assume.
  #434  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
I've conceded that point twice before now. I doubt it too. But just as I can't say it definitely will be an issue, you can't say it definitely won't be. The truth is, only Meghan and Samantha know what Meghan and Samantha know. It'll be upto Samantha to share anything more as and when she chooses and for Meghan to be prepared for that.
A leopard doesn't change it's spots. One thing I can say is that some people aren't that difficult to read. Samantha isn't the type to keep her trap shut and highly driven by emotions. If she had any dirt, it'd out by now.
  #435  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Why not? Why yes may be the better question. It seems an exhausting way to take things and surely not one for me, but if it is convenient for you then good for you.
I was just wondering as you have stated that the BRF can't take any more storms or scandals. If that would be so -and if there would be reason to expect that any might yet come- then the institution would be really fragile, which it's not.
They have seen much worse than a jealous half-sister.
I think you're reading the odd line from my posts and making a conclusion that I've stated several times over is not my argument. So for the sake of repeating it again....

1. I have said that at present, the Royal Family is in a good and stable position. It has been aided in overcoming recent issues with the help of a friendly government. It may not have that asset for much longer.

2. I said that IF that is the case, and the government does change, then in that situation the Royal Family would be put under a far harsher scrutiny which means it cannot risk any more scandal or gossip to undermine the institution.

3. I said (about 6 times) that I really hope this issue with Samantha will go away in time and that the Palace are prepared for anything bigger which may come in the future via a book or a new series of interviews or articles. But I should have thought it prudent to be prepared for that possibility rather than to write it off completely as nonsense.

These three points have been written into every post I've made on this issue and keep being overlooked because there's a worrying trend in any thread connecting with Meghan that anyone who raises a doubt or a concern somehow dislikes her or is against this marriage. It's lovely to see people want to protect Meghan but these are all things that have been discussed with almost every Royal marriage and I don't see the harm in speculating in order to be prepared for a future that may be unstable - whether that instability comes from within or outside of the Royal Family itself and their relations.
  #436  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,326
It's best to just ignore Samantha. To attempt to buy her off will just give credence to her nastiness.

She can say whatever she wishes, but if it is known that Meghan has no contact with her, there will be a limit to any allegations she can make.

The more distance between them, the better for Meghan.
  #437  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
I think you're reading the odd line from my posts and making a conclusion that I've stated several times over is not my argument. So for the sake of repeating it again....

1. I have said that at present, the Royal Family is in a good and stable position. It has been aided in overcoming recent issues with the help of a friendly government. It may not have that asset for much longer.

2. I said that IF that is the case, and the government does change, then in that situation the Royal Family would be put under a far harsher scrutiny which means it cannot risk any more scandal or gossip to undermine the institution.

3. I said (about 6 times) that I really hope this issue with Samantha will go away in time and that the Palace are prepared for anything bigger which may come in the future via a book or a new series of interviews or articles. But I should have thought it prudent to be prepared for that possibility rather than to write it off completely as nonsense.

These three points have been written into every post I've made on this issue and keep being overlooked because there's a worrying trend in any thread connecting with Meghan that anyone who raises a doubt or a concern somehow dislikes her or is against this marriage. It's lovely to see people want to protect Meghan but these are all things that have been discussed with almost every Royal marriage and I don't see the harm in speculating in order to be prepared for a future that may be unstable - whether that instability comes from within or outside of the Royal Family itself and their relations.
I'm not disagreeing with you because I like Meghan. In fact, I consider you as someone that does like Meghan. There are posters that does make comments to purely shed Meghan in a negative light. I don't think that you are one of those. I'm disagreeing you because I just don't see where the facts of this worry come from and we have varying degrees of what is considered a scandal and what is not.

The truth is, non fact based gossip will always be around. Things like Samantha Markle being bitter isn't going to make a difference. What will make a difference is bad acts from members of the royal family or those advising them, which aren't any right now. Samantha Markle bitching about her half-sister, a woman who herself has not done anything reckless (other than maybe agreeing to marry into this family, but that's a different issue) after tabloids have turned over every stone. And not having Samantha's book published is easy, tie it up in litigation. Let's try not to make mountains out of molehills.
  #438  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
I think you're reading the odd line from my posts and making a conclusion that I've stated several times over is not my argument. So for the sake of repeating it again....

1. I have said that at present, the Royal Family is in a good and stable position. It has been aided in overcoming recent issues with the help of a friendly government. It may not have that asset for much longer.

2. I said that IF that is the case, and the government does change, then in that situation the Royal Family would be put under a far harsher scrutiny which means it cannot risk any more scandal or gossip to undermine the institution.

3. I said (about 6 times) that I really hope this issue with Samantha will go away in time and that the Palace are prepared for anything bigger which may come in the future via a book or a new series of interviews or articles. But I should have thought it prudent to be prepared for that possibility rather than to write it off completely as nonsense.

These three points have been written into every post I've made on this issue and keep being overlooked because there's a worrying trend in any thread connecting with Meghan that anyone who raises a doubt or a concern somehow dislikes her or is against this marriage. It's lovely to see people want to protect Meghan but these are all things that have been discussed with almost every Royal marriage and I don't see the harm in speculating in order to be prepared for a future that may be unstable - whether that instability comes from within or outside of the Royal Family itself and their relations.
I have not read the odd line from your posts, I have read them all. That's why I asked where your fear comes from. It's not wrong to be cautious, but you want to be prepared for the possible worst. That is your right, I just think it's unnecessary and possibly unhealthy.

I see the future on a brighter scale than you do, but as you are probably used to watching things with (slight) trepidation, go ahead
  #439  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you because I like Meghan. In fact, I consider you as someone that does like Meghan. There are posters that does make comments to purely shed Meghan in a negative light. I don't think that you are one of those. I'm disagreeing you because I just don't see where the facts of this worry come from and we have varying degrees of what is considered a scandal and what is not.

The truth is, non fact based gossip will always be around. Things like Samantha Markle being bitter isn't going to make a difference. What will make a difference is bad acts from members of the royal family or those advising them, which aren't any right now. Samantha Markle bitching about her half-sister, a woman who herself has not done anything reckless (other than maybe agreeing to marry into this family, but that's a different issue) after tabloids have turned over every stone. And not having Samantha's book published is easy, tie it up in litigation. Let's try not to make mountains out of molehills.
Are you my ghost reader? You phrase it more precise than me.
  #440  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Sunnystar's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon, United States
Posts: 593
As far as the hacks who write these articles with quotes from her, I really have to wonder how they restrained themselves from not laughing in her face when she claimed that Meghan's nephew would crash the wedding if he didn't get an invitation. Even of they are a bunch of yellow journalists they still know just how impossible it will be for anyone to crash a royal wedding. This isn't some soiree at the Beverly Hills Hilton, after all.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, meghan markle, royal family


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events 1: November 2017 - May 2018 soapstar Current Events Archive 832 05-20-2018 06:28 AM
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018 Cocoasneeze Current Events Archive 1431 05-20-2018 06:25 AM
Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018 JessRulz Archives 2048 05-19-2018 03:22 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography birth britain britannia british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice doll dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree fashion and style general news thread george vi gustaf vi adolf highgrove house of windsor jack brooksbank jewellery king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince constantijn prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen maxima queen victoria royal ancestry spain speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×