Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why we are emphasizing that Thomas and Samantha are her half siblings. A sibling is a sibling in my eye but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

IMO it would be better if they were described as estranged siblings cause that's what they are. Like many, I find it ironic that both Samantha and Thomas speak about Meghan and their father as if they spoke every day. It appears that haven't had a relationship in over five years!

IMO if Thomas walks Meghan down the aisle, than hopefully they would meet before the wedding.

In the States while its common for the father to walk the bride down the aisle, its also not uncommon to see the bride walk herself, have both parents walk her down the aisle or her mother (or some other family member).

What say my TRF UK members? How would any of the situations look if Thomas Sr. didn't walk Meghan down the aisle.

Last edited:
Seeing as how Meghan apparently refers to herself as an only child because her parents only had her, I think it is appropriate to stress that these are her half siblings.

Seeing as how Meghan apparently refers to herself as an only child because her parents only had her, I think it is appropriate to stress that these are her half siblings.

And that is a very valid point!

ETA: That to me is the key. I don't like the term half siblings when they tend to be raised together or they have close relationships. To me, it shows that some might not value the relationship.

But in Meghan's case, where there is a significant age difference, they were not raised in the same house and currently there is no relationship, than YES, I can see why the term half sibling is used.

Last edited:
I don't see why we are emphasizing that Thomas and Samantha are her half siblings. A sibling is a sibling in my eye but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

IMO it would be better if they were described as estranged siblings cause that's what they are. Like many, I find it ironic that both Samantha and Thomas speak about Meghan and their father as if they spoke every day. It appears that haven't had a relationship in over five years!

IMO if Thomas walks Meghan down the aisle, than hopefully they would meet before the wedding.

In the States while its common for the father to walk the bride down the aisle, its also not uncommon to see the bride walk herself, have both parents walk her down the aisle or her mother (or some other family member).

What say my TRF UK members? How would any of the situations look if Thomas Sr. didn't walk Meghan down the aisle.

Hi, there’s a HUGE difference between full siblings and agnate siblings IMHO. But yes you are right, people will have their own views on this.

I’m not sure Meghan’s dad walked her down the aisle the first time around so I don’t know if she will feel it necessary this time around. Her wedding is going to be nice regardless.?

My question is when is Thom Markle Sr. going to meet his future son-in-law? Two weeks or so before the wedding takes place?

Meghan's relationship with her father may be cordial, but I don't see how it could be very close if Harry hasn't even met him.

(I could just imagine the look on my own father's face, if I were to tell him I'd gotten engaged to a man he hadn't ever met!) :eek:

IMO it would be better if they were described as estranged siblings cause that's what they are.

Not emphasized all the time, but the fact is they only share a father is one of the reasons there is a large age difference and limited shared experiences while Meghan was growing up.

Meghan's relationship with her father may be cordial, but I don't see how it could be very close if Harry hasn't even met him.

(I could just imagine the look on my own father's face, if I were to tell him I'd gotten engaged to a man he hadn't ever met!) :eek:

Yeah that's been something I've wondered about all along. Harry's met Doria several times. In almost 2 years he never met her father. Money is not an issue (flights etc). So I also question how close they actually are (Meghan and her father).

LaRae

My kids are half-siblings, born almost 10 years apart, and they are very close. I cannot imagine one of them would sell out the other in a similar circumstance, knowing that it would cause their sibling pain and embarrassment.

But my kids were raised together, share a lot of common experiences, and know they are responsible for one another. While they are technically half-siblings, no one seeing them together would ever guess they were anything but full siblings.

I don't think Meghan has that kind of relationship with her siblings. At all. Her sister has been bad-mouthing M for years, they weren't raised together, and do not seem to have ever been close, indeed the older half brother and sister are backstabbers, so it's going to be difficult to think of them as run-of-the-mill siblings.

Yeah that's been something I've wondered about all along. Harry's met Doria several times. In almost 2 years he never met her father. Money is not an issue (flights etc). So I also question how close they actually are (Meghan and her father).

LaRae

Maybe I can shed some light on this. Some times it’s about time and habits. I love half way across the world from my dad. We talk, but I don’t see him very often. There is a 15 hour flight, but it’s still relatively affordable except obviously in summer. He’s never made a trip here, it’s always been me going back in the past. I have friends that have similar situations, and at least two of them did marry without their father having met their husbands in person first. One met when the parents made the trip for the wedding. The other still haven't met because they didn’t have a wedding.

I don’t think Meghan goes to Mexico often either. Or at least even when she was posting on IG, she posted much about it. Even the one time she was in Mexico on vacation, we didn’t see any post about her dad. Sometimes people get used to a certain way of life. It’s I’ll see you when I see you, but in the mean time we catch up by phone (at one point, I called my dad daily) or FaceTime. I think the only time Meghan has posted about seeing her dad in 2016 was thanksgiving when he came back to LA. It might just be the way they are used to. Plus, Harry has spoken to her father several time on the phone. Yes, I know it’s not the same as meeting in person, but again it goes back to a way of life.

Last edited:
However, if it had been important to them they would have made it happen, way of life or not. As resources isn't the issue, it's about priority. The fact that Harry hadn't met her father before his daughter decided she wanted to marry him and because of that completely change the course of her life would have warranted at least a visit or meeting had they truly been close. Her mother to whom she apparently is close even visited the Invictus Games!

As others before, I am not saying they don't have a good relationship but from the outset it is really hard to call it 'close' as their actions speak against that.

However, if it had been important to them they would have made it happen, way of life or not. As resources isn't the issue, it's about priority. The fact that Harry hadn't met her father before his daughter decided she wanted to marry him and because of that completely change the course of her life would have warranted at least a visit or meeting had they truly been close. Her mother to whom she apparently is close even visited the Invictus Games!

As others before, I am not saying they don't have a good relationship but from the outset it is really hard to call it 'close' as their actions speak against that.
Again, it’s just the way that dynamic is at this point. And I don’t think it’s faie to say any of our fathers aren’t important to us. With modern technology the way it is these days, it’s more common than people thinks. And I don’t think Tom Markle is the type of parent that will be up his daughter’s business all the time even if he loves her and is proud of her. Meghan certainly is a very independent person in her own right. Her mom visits because that’s the dynamic there. And her mom does seem to be more adjustable to Meghan’s life even before the Harry thing.

Oh the flip side, if they aren’t close, I doubt Harry would’ve asked for his blessing before proposing.

Families are all unique. We all differ in how we interact. When I was posted to the Nth Island "my mother was admitted to hospital six weeks after I left. I applied for leave (no problem there) but my boss was perplexed as to why I needed to see her when I had seen her so recently. I said "this is different" and he looked blank. Then I asked him when he'd last seen his parents and he said: "Christmas two years ago", and my jaw must have hit the floor.

A lot of families stay in touch by phone or letter or probably email these days. They don't see each other for years on end and yet they consider that totally normal. Not only that but if you asked if they were estranged from them they would be highly insulted because they aren't. That's just the way they are, not close and prefer distance.

Tom Snr sounds like someone who is next to a recluse. He is retired and chooses to live in another country and obviously feels that is close enough to a family that he may find not only exasperating but exhausting. His idea of the best Christmas may well be on the beach, on his own, enjoying the solitude. Not every family is close, not every family is estranged if they are not close and some are not physically close, but still love and care for their family.

As to meeting his daughter's fiance, Harry said they had spoken so that is good enough for all of them I think. But remember, SKYPE is a wonderful tool.

Again, it’s just the way that dynamic is at this point. And I don’t think it’s faie to say any of our fathers aren’t important to us. With modern technology the way it is these days, it’s more common than people thinks. And I don’t think Tom Markle is the type of parent that will be up his daughter’s business all the time even if he loves her and is proud of her. Meghan certainly is a very independent person in her own right. Her mom visits because that’s the dynamic there. And her mom does seem to be more adjustable to Meghan’s life even before the Harry thing.

Oh the flip side, if they aren’t close, I doubt Harry would’ve asked for his blessing before proposing.

It probably is semantics as I explicitly stated that the relation could be good (more than enough reason to ask for his blessing) without being close and a far cry from saying that her father is not important (I don't believe anyone used those words) - so far, Meghan's actions seem to suggest she is closer to her mother and not as close to her father. Moreover, your own words of being proud of his daughter and loving her are also far from defining a close relationship.

As I stated before, I am very well aware of the possibilities of technology as I am living abroad as well. We talk on skype and make sure to visit (and our close family members and some friends visit us as well) as that makes a difference! When our siblings started dating while we already love abroad we made sure to spend time with my now in-laws as we wanted to get to know the people that were important in the lives of our siblings (that's for siblings not even your own child or parent). So, not making meeting your future father/son in law a priority in about a year and a half in a relationship that clearly goes in the direction of marriage doesn't fit at all in the 'Meghan is close to her father' narrative. She clearly isn't estranged like (to) some of her other relatives but there is a large area in between.

Last edited:
Whatever the word you want to use to describe Meghan’s relationship with her father, close isn’t it.

Mr Markle is retired and and all Harry has to do is jump on a Lear jet and be there in hours.

For most families a marriage is a big deal for the parents. I can’t imagine why they haven’t met face to face.

Families are all unique. We all differ in how we interact. When I was posted to the Nth Island "my mother was admitted to hospital six weeks after I left. I applied for leave (no problem there) but my boss was perplexed as to why I needed to see her when I had seen her so recently. I said "this is different" and he looked blank. Then I asked him when he'd last seen his parents and he said: "Christmas two years ago", and my jaw must have hit the floor.

A lot of families stay in touch by phone or letter or probably email these days. They don't see each other for years on end and yet they consider that totally normal. Not only that but if you asked if they were estranged from them they would be highly insulted because they aren't. That's just the way they are, not close and prefer distance.

Tom Snr sounds like someone who is next to a recluse. He is retired and chooses to live in another country and obviously feels that is close enough to a family that he may find not only exasperating but exhausting. His idea of the best Christmas may well be on the beach, on his own, enjoying the solitude. Not every family is close, not every family is estranged if they are not close and some are not physically close, but still love and care for their family.

As to meeting his daughter's fiance, Harry said they had spoken so that is good enough for all of them I think. But remember, SKYPE is a wonderful tool.

That I fully agree with. Many families are totally fine not seeing each other for long periods of time or not even talking that regularly. Many still have good relationships and enjoy it when they do see each other. However, if they would insist they are close, I would question that.

It seems like we both agree there is a large area between close and estranged. And my assessment so far is that Meghan is close to her mother and her father is a little further down the line of closeness.

I think we have different opinion on what is close. For me, knowing what is going on in each other’s life regularly is close enough. And if she says she talks to her dad regularly, I’ll take her word for it.

Last edited:
I also think we need to keep in mind logistics which would complicate Harry and Tom Sr. meeting. Due to age, health, and/or financial situations it might be difficult for Meghan's dad to make the trip to London. It's also possible that Tom Sr., Harry, and Meghan didn't want to deal with the immense preparations required for the couple to visit her father in Mexico. Mr. Markle seems like a private guy, who wouldn't want to deal with the fuss of RPOs and the potential of the press finding his house and camping out, as they did after the engagement broke. Maybe the three agreed to keep their conversations to phone/ video chat, and all feel fine with the situation? If it works for them, who am I to judge?

Generally people use the term "step" - sister, brother, father, mother etc - I even use the term step-uncle and step-grandma. I guess it's up t the people involved themselves to determine how they refer to one another.

As for Meghan's father walking her up the aisle, I would find it odd if he didn't - especially if he was attending the wedding.

If there is an issue of his walking her up the aisle, I would imagine the next likely scenario would be for Meghan and harry to walk up the aisle together. Of-course, if Meghan's mother walked her up the aisle it would be unusual but not un-heard of here in the UK.

Dealt with how? Samantha talks and the tabloids print it. Even if a friendly word is had with the British press, it will do nothing to stop the international press.

Sam Grant just needs to stop, that's all. Harry said nothing wrong. As KP commented, Harry's words "speak for themselves." He was simply enthusiastic about sharing Meghan with his family at Christmas, which was something Harry was unable to do in December 2016. Obviously, Harry's off-hand words were latched onto in a negative way by the press. This is exactly the reason why the royals are so circumspect in the first place about everything they say. It's just difficult to always perfectly edit oneself in the midst of a casual conversation. This isn't the first time something offhand, minor and harmless that Harry said in connection with Meghan has been latched onto in a negative way.

Some people understandably aren't aware of the vicious vindictiveness with which Sam Grant initially lashed out at Meghan as soon as news that H&M were dating broke last November. Sometime in March 2017 Grant was still bitterly stirring up lies in the media and ranting and raving online in an effort to discredit Meghan. Grant's blatant lies and haranguing prompted H&M to give Meghan's friend Lindsay Roth the go-ahead to speak to the media about Meghan's true character:
Megan Markle's Best Friend Shares the Star's Personal Motto | PEOPLE.com
I believe Lindsay Roth, not Sam Grant!

It's all kinds of ridiculous that Grant is now trying to claim Meghan when she was trying very hard to slander her initially in the hopes of breaking up the H&M relationship. Fat chance, Samantha! And there's absolutely no chance you will ever be invited to Meghan's wedding. Grant simply needs to stop insinuating and instigating. She's obviously been using Meghan as a cash cow. Both she and Tom Markle Jr. keep spilling self-important guff to the media, for profit. Meghan extricated herself from these two leeches a long time ago. And seemingly Tom Markle Sr. has nothing to do with these two older disappointments either.

The bitterness that Grant and Tom Jr. exude deligitimizes any 'family' claim they are trying to assert they have with Meghan. That ship left the harbor a long time ago, and it's as if any connection they ever had with the young Meghan never mattered, because they obviously never had any significant, lasting or meaningful value and influence in Meghan's life. By some point, they both became jealous and bitter of Meghan's close relationship with Tom Markle, Sr. That's painfully obvious. The media also need to stop giving these bitter older half siblings an opportunity to screech about nothing for big bucks. Their screeching only serves to show up their own very sad shortcomings and miserable lives.

Last edited:
Generally people use the term "step" - sister, brother, father, mother etc - I even use the term step-uncle and step-grandma. I guess it's up t the people involved themselves to determine how they refer to one another.

As for Meghan's father walking her up the aisle, I would find it odd if he didn't - especially if he was attending the wedding.

If there is an issue of his walking her up the aisle, I would imagine the next likely scenario would be for Meghan and harry to walk up the aisle together. Of-course, if Meghan's mother walked her up the aisle it would be unusual but not un-heard of here in the UK.

They are half siblings, not step siblings.
Prince William and Tom Parker-Bowles are step brothers.

Step and half are not synonomous for each other. It would be wrong to call Samantha and Tom Jr her stepsiblings :ermm:

Step means that you share no blood. Example prince William and Laura and Tom PB. Their parents may be married but they share no blood.

Half siblings refers to sharing one biological parent. Samantha, Tom Jr, and Meghan are half as they share a dad.

I don't take Meghan not being walked up the aisle previous as any sign either 1. of problems/not close with dad 2. of sign of things to come. The last wedding was a casual beach event. Destination weddings are commonly far less formal. Its not unusual that she would not have been given away by her dad, or other formal traditions at such a wedding. That doesn't mean that during a big church wedding her father wont be included.

As for Harry not meeting him yet, again not a sign they aren't close. Its not a simple matter of Harry jumping on a jet and meeting him. We see the criticism when the royals do just that. His schedule to be considered as well. Unlike Doria, Tom seems to have had some financial issues as well. He has chosen to live quietly in Mexico away from the eyes. Just because he doesn't want to be on show at IG like his ex wife, doesn't mean he isn't part of it. I am sure in time Harry and Tom will have a sit down.

Step and half are not synonomous for each other. It would be wrong to call Samantha and Tom Jr her stepsiblings :ermm:

Step means that you share no blood. Example prince William and Laura and Tom PB. Their parents may be married but they share no blood.

Half siblings refers to sharing one biological parent. Samantha, Tom Jr, and Meghan are half as they share a dad.

I don't take Meghan not being walked up the aisle previous as any sign either 1. of problems/not close with dad 2. of sign of things to come. The last wedding was a casual beach event. Destination weddings are commonly far less formal. Its not unusual that she would not have been given away by her dad, or other formal traditions at such a wedding. That doesn't mean that during a big church wedding her father wont be included.

As for Harry not meeting him yet, again not a sign they aren't close. Its not a simple matter of Harry jumping on a jet and meeting him. We see the criticism when the royals do just that. His schedule to be considered as well. Unlike Doria, Tom seems to have had some financial issues as well. He has chosen to live quietly in Mexico away from the eyes. Just because he doesn't want to be on show at IG like his ex wife, doesn't mean he isn't part of it. I am sure in time Harry and Tom will have a sit down.

I agree with everything, except just to point out that we don’t know if Tom walked Meghan down the aisle last time.

I looks like if a wedding is formal than somebody (father/brother/uncle/friend/friend's father/etc.) always walks the bride down the aisle.
If Thomas Sr. cann't do this, Meghan's uncle can do this instead of Thomas Sr.

Because Margaret's father had passed away years earlier, her brother-in-law Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, walked her down the aisle instead.
Last year The Prince of Wales gave away Alexandra Knatchbull.
In 2012 Michael Middleton walked Thierry Kelaart, a family friend, down the aisle.

Last edited:

A step sibling has no blood relationship. Half siblings share one parent. My brother-in-law has three children with his ex-wife. His 2nd wife already had a son when they married, this boy is his biological childrens' stepbrother. His ex-wife remarried and had two more children with her 2nd husband. These are half siblings to my brother-in-law's biological children.

Last edited:
I looks like if a wedding is formal than somebody (father/brother/uncle/friend/friend's father/etc.) always walks the bride down the aisle.

Because Margaret's father had passed away years earlier, her brother-in-law Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, walked her down the aisle instead.
In 2012 Michael Middleton walked Thierry Kelaart, a family friend, down the aisle.

Hereditary Duchess of Luxembourg was given away by her oldest brother.
Stepmother of the Duchess of York - by her son.
Senator Edward Kennedy gave away all his fatherless nieces.

I think we have different opinion on what is close. For me, knowing what is going on in each other’s life regularly is close enough. And if she says she talks to her dad regularly, I’ll take her word for it.

Thanks, looks like it is indeed semantics: my definition of close is narrower than yours. I don't think anyone has dismissed or not believed Meghan's word about that she talks to her dad regularly (which could range from daily (not very likely but some adult children do) to weekly to once every (few) month(s)). The only thing several of us have questioned is whether that could be considered a close relationship and that is where each one's interpretation of what constitutes 'close' comes in.

That picture (of someone else than her parent walking her down the aisle) would look rather bad - unless there is a very good explanation why he physically wouldn't be able to do it and her mother didn't want to for some reason. If the bride's father is no longer alive it would be seen as touching if he is alive it would be interpreted differently. And who would formally 'give away' the bride during the ceremony?

As a side note, the walking down the aisle is a cultural thing, remember the outcry that Victoria wanted it while it is no longer common in Sweden and considered old-fashioned (by some in a negative light).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm I have been thinking over this whole "family she never had" dust up for a few days. It really rubbed me the wrong way when I initially heard it, so I wanted to sit with it a few days before commenting, so I could think it through, read some other interpretations and not jump to any conclusions. I have to say, it still rubs me the wrong way. I honestly don't think Harry meant anything by it. I don't think he was subtly throwing shade, or sending some kind of veiled message to her family. I just think they asked him a question, that he originally tried to answer in a very general way, then the host pushed a little, so he tried to be a bit more specific and said the first thing that came to mind. Nothing intentional or malicious. But I do think it came across rather thoughtless. If I were her family (and her family includes more than the two loud mouth half siblings) my feelings would be a bit hurt. I wouldn't go running to the media to yell about it, but I could understand feeling slighted.

Meghan herself has said that she had a very happy upbringing. Even when her parents divorced she has stressed that they made sure things stayed the same for her. They had family dinners, trips etc. Again this is what Meghan had said in interviews about her own upbringing. She has talked about how she was close to her grandmother and wore her charm bracelet as part of her costume as Rachel on Suits. We saw she was in family weddings, family get togethers, especially on her mom's side. I'm uncomfortable with suggesting that because her parents were divorced, somehow she didn't have a "family unit". There are plenty of children of divorce who would say they grew up in a secure family unit. Also as an only child I can say, I had loads of large, rowdy, happy family holidays. Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, great aunts and uncles. Even the occasional person you weren't sure how they were related to you but they always came around! LOL! I was truly blessed.

And can we not pretend that the BRF is some shining example of family togetherness and functionality? They are no worse than any other family, so I won't put that on them, but they are certainly no better than any other family. They have their dysfunctions and scandals and falling outs, just like any other family. The family dynamics and traditions might be different than what Meghan is used to (and actually, I think this is what he really meant, because he was answering a question about introducing Meghan to family traditions), but to say "we're the family she never had I suppose" sounds like saying she didn't come from a family, at least not a very good one. It's one thing to say "different", that can mean anything. (Bigger, more structured, etc). "Never had", means it didn't even exist. And that is jut not accurate based on Meghan's own words. A family is not determined by size.

Like I said, I don't think Harry meant that, and I'm sure because he is a very caring person he made sure Doria and Tom knew that. And I'm sure they told him, "no offense taken". It's not the end of the world, and the press will move on. And I would not discount seeing some of Meghan's family, especially the Ragland side, being in attendance. We know they exist, but accept for the married in uncle we haven't heard from them. And the Markel side is more than the two half siblings.

I recently heard that Meghan has an uncle (Alvin Joffrey Ragland) on the Ragland side who is two years younger than Meghan (her maternal grandfather's son from his second marriage). He may be at the wedding, and also Sam Grant's two older children, Ashleigh and Christopher, who were raised by their father's parents, thankfully! I agree with you that Harry's comment was ripe for being latched onto in a negative way, but clearly he was searching for the right words and he didn't mean anything negative toward Meghan's immediate close family members. There are non-famous large closeknit extended family clans, but I would say that's somewhat rare in this day and age of disparate and isolated family units. Still there are some families who manage to remain fairly close with reunions, etc. There is obviously no family like the British royal family. :D :crown5:

It's helpful to realize that being royal is the only existence Harry has ever known, and the royals are a very unusual and historic family who lead a fishbowl life. It can be problematic growing up under those circumstances, despite the wealth and the tremendous perks. The pressures are something we can only imagine. At times, he obviously has wished to escape the royal fishbowl, and surely he has found some of the traditional rituals and 'boring'* formal dinner parties a chore. Certainly Diana managed to nurture both her boys in a way that helped them grow up as unspoiled as possible.

It's clear that Harry loves his father, and deeply respects his grandmother and has a loving relationship with her. As he has matured, Harry has likely come to understand and cherish both sides of his family. And of course he's spoken recently about coming to a realization and appreciation of how his royal status can serve as a platform for him to give back to others and to make a difference in the world.

Part of Meghan's appeal for Harry has to be her normal middle-class upbringing in L.A., which was also unique in the sense of her coming from variant ethnic backgrounds (even though there's a tiresome over-focus our culture has on making the offspring of so-called 'black/white' unions somehow seem exotic and caught between two choices they are often challenged to make). In addition, Meghan partly growing up on the set of a Hollywood television series makes her background very intriguing.

In the engagement interview, Harry enthusiastically spoke very highly of Meghan's Mom, so Harry supposedly looking down on Meghan's immediate close family members is not true. Meghan is by nature a positive person who emphasizes the positive. Yet, we are all three-dimensional human beings, so I do not believe everything was always fine and jim-dandy between Meghan's parents. It's clear that they worked together to nurture Meghan and they both doted on her, but I doubt that Meghan's parents always got along with each other. There are normal tensions in every family. But fortunately, Meghan did not experience any significant trauma as a child of divorce.

The divisiveness and unrest among the Markle side appears to have escalated over time. In general, Meghan has apparently escaped a lot of anguish and drama growing up, that some children of divorce experience. She was probably somewhat confused about the culture's issues with racism and how she personally fit in with her so-called 'mixed' background. But once again even on that issue her parents appear to have grounded her and given her support and encouragement to create her own strong identity, which is definitely a blessing.

My gut feeling is that Meghan took a great deal of strength from her maternal side via her mother Doria, grandmother Jeanette, and even her great-grandmother Netty, whom Meghan never met. From all reported evidence these were three hardworking, independent and strong women who carved out lives for their children without having husbands always by their side. I think these three matriarchs are the source of Meghan's strong feminist identity, as well as her striving to make a fulfilling and meaningful life for herself while also giving back to others. It's rather interesting that there are also strong matriarchs in the Windsor family.

OTOH, Meghan doesn't appear to have a very strong black identity. And the white side of her family was obviously nothing to celebrate either. To me she clearly identifies more with what people see her as being: white, even though she also fully embraces what she terms as her 'bi-racial' heritage. I get the feeling that despite her parents giving her a stable upbringing and nurturing her sense of self, Meghan likely felt at times somewhat caught between two families whose members did not get along well. Also, Meghan was an only child and there was not a large extended family unit.

After Meghan went off to college and later became successful on Suits, she began to develop nurturing friendships which have been very important in her life. I believe that Meghan has likely shared some unpleasant Markle vs Ragland family details with Harry that we wouldn't know about. And the other way to look at what Harry said is simply an expression of his great joy at being able to finally celebrate Christmas with Meghan and to have her fully accepted by his family. That's obviously extremely important to Harry.

Another thing I sense in H&M's remarkable union is the fact that Harry probably is viewing his royal life and status with new eyes through the lens of sharing with Meghan royal family events and traditions that he may have previously dismissed or taken for granted at times. From all reports, Meghan has had an important, calming influence on Harry. Now the petty 24/7 media and the Markle half-sibs need to back off big time.

*In a 2012 interview, a reporter asked Harry what it was like to attend formal dinner parties at the palaces growing up: Harry somewhat humorously dismissed the question, by saying, "Yes, I've had to attend a lot of boring dinner parties..." ;)

Last edited:
Hereditary Duchess of Luxembourg was given away by her oldest brother.
Stepmother of the Duchess of York - by her son.
Senator Edward Kennedy gave away all his fatherless nieces.

The difference being in those cases there was a reason. Stephanie's was physically unable to walk her down the aisle, hence her brother doing the honor. In the other cases the dad being deceased.

For Meghan to choose a male family member other then her dad would raise some serious questions. Unless he has a health issue and cant walk her down.

:previous: Thanks for your extensive account. The only thing I wonder is if Meghan primarily identifies as white. My impression is that especially growing up but most likely up until this moment she identifies as biracial - it's a topic that she has discussed many times (sometimes prompted such as during the engagement interview but other times she seemed to have wanted to raise awareness to the issues related to it herself) and one that also impacted her career (being to white for black roles and to black for white roles - if I'm expressing that correctly). She even famously created her own category on a form that didn't allow for that option (with the encouragement of her father).

According to Meghan her relationship with her father is much more than cordial. They are very close.

Anyway, it's weird that the two still have yet to meet and all this wedding planning is happening and Harry, a man he's never met is about to marry his baby, his youngest child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom