Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems ridiculous to me to speculate on the relationships that exist within her family. I don’t think any of us can really determine her their relationship is or has been. If her family members feel offended, I think they need to talk to Meghan and Harry not put it out for the media to run with but I also think the couple themselves need to be careful not to engage them or respond. It doesn’t do anything. That’s the issue I have. There was no need to comment. Just say ‘no comment’ or ‘that’s a private matter’ or ‘we don’t comment on...’ whatever but this is childish to me and petty.

And I referring to KP responding not Prince Harry’s comments.

Except her family didn't respond only her estranged relatives did--the half siblings she hasn't had any contact with for years.

They are her family, estranged or not.

The whole saying, you cant choose your family, you can only choose your friends. We all have family, or likely most of us, we wish we didn't have. Fortunately most of us aren't public figures and the dirty laundry isn't aired for the world to see. I could only imagine the hideous skeletons that would come marching out of my family closet if I married a public figure.

On the flip side, you can choose what family to associate with. What we will see with the wedding invites :flowers:

Why I once again reiterate what I have said about Meghan being as close to friends as Harry may be to his brother or other family. For many who don't have the close siblings, or the strong family fabric (beyond her parents) you form those bonds with others. Friends are the family you chose for yourself.

I agree that the huge family Christmas lunch and then the large family Christmas was probably unlike Meghan's previous Christmases.
Hel, Cocoasneeze and Osipi made some excellent points in their posts. There is a difference between relatives and family. It seems like Meghan has relatives, but not much family.
Royal Rob wrote-"Somehow it doesn’t seem to right to rubbish anyone who is related to Meghan while a few are wanting attention there is others and no doubt young children involved." I don't think there are any young children involved here-Meghan's nieces and nephews are adults, mostly only a few years younger than she is. They don't have a relationship with their dysfunctional parents (Meghan's half sister and half brother) either.

Correct. Meghan actually has a decent relationship with Samantha's daughter who is in her 30s herself. She is not much older than her nieces and nephews. I remember Meghan promoted her niece on her IG during her early stages of dating Harry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIYAh_Wg14X/?taken-by=meghanmarkle

Also Thomas Jr's son spoke out about how his father made it difficult to stay close to Meghan and his grandfather over the years. So not like Meghan has abandoned all the Markle side. She just cut the toxic out her life. And it is not lost that Samantha and Tom Jr's mother says they both are full of it and this woman has no connection to Meghan at all.

Last edited:
I think that’s blowing things out of proportion a bit to say he’s not an empathy because of this or they don’t care what those Meghan is close to think. Obviously if they have close contact with the couple, as we believe her parents are, then they’d understand what Harry truly meant. Which is no one has quite had a family like his, which is true. To feel like he’s saying you aren’t good enough is a bit dramatic and immature. As for the family that she doesn’t speak to that is selling her out. Well I would say not talking for about 10 years kind of confirms they are only family in the sense of DNA, doesn’t it.

Sorry if my opinion offended you and you believe that I am dramatic and immature.

I just joined in the conversation and gave my opinion on the situation. I realize now that my sentiments are not welcome or worthy enough to participate in this discussion.

Hmmm I have been thinking over this whole "family she never had" dust up for a few days. It really rubbed me the wrong way when I initially heard it, so I wanted to sit with it a few days before commenting, so I could think it through, read some other interpretations and not jump to any conclusions. I have to say, it still rubs me the wrong way. I honestly don't think Harry meant anything by it. I don't think he was subtly throwing shade, or sending some kind of veiled message to her family. I just think they asked him a question, that he originally tried to answer in a very general way, then the host pushed a little, so he tried to be a bit more specific and said the first thing that came to mind. Nothing intentional or malicious. But I do think it came across rather thoughtless. If I were her family (and her family includes more than the two loud mouth half siblings) my feelings would be a bit hurt. I wouldn't go running to the media to yell about it, but I could understand feeling slighted.

Meghan herself has said that she had a very happy upbringing. Even when her parents divorced she has stressed that they made sure things stayed the same for her. They had family dinners, trips etc. Again this is what Meghan had said in interviews about her own upbringing. She has talked about how she was close to her grandmother and wore her charm bracelet as part of her costume as Rachel on Suits. We saw she was in family weddings, family get togethers, especially on her mom's side. I'm uncomfortable with suggesting that because her parents were divorced, somehow she didn't have a "family unit". There are plenty of children of divorce who would say they grew up in a secure family unit. Also as an only child I can say, I had loads of large, rowdy, happy family holidays. Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, great aunts and uncles. Even the occasional person you weren't sure how they were related to you but they always came around! LOL! I was truly blessed.

And can we not pretend that the BRF is some shining example of family togetherness and functionality? They are no worse than any other family, so I won't put that on them, but they are certainly no better than any other family. They have their dysfunctions and scandals and falling outs, just like any other family. The family dynamics and traditions might be different than what Meghan is used to (and actually, I think this is what he really meant, because he was answering a question about introducing Meghan to family traditions), but to say "we're the family she never had I suppose" sounds like saying she didn't come from a family, at least not a very good one. It's one thing to say "different", that can mean anything.(Bigger, more structured, etc). "Never had", means it didn't even exist. And that is jut not accurate based on Meghan's own words. A family is not determined by size.

Like I said, I don't think Harry meant that, and I'm sure because he is a very caring person he made sure Doria and Tom knew that. And I'm sure they told him, "no offense taken". It's not the end of the world, and the press will move on. And I would not discount seeing some of Meghan's family, especially the Ragland side, being in attendance. We know they exist, but accept for the married in uncle we haven't heard from them. And the Markel side is more than the two half siblings.

How is it not an issue between her and her family? This is not a matter for public discourse. Why comment? Meghan is not unique. Everyone who has married into royal families have had people including families make comments. The response from KP came across as petty, messy and has not helped anything. Its just added more fuel to the fire the media love it but who else and what’s the point? Harry would have stood by his comment regardless. There was no need for their spokesperson to respond that way. Of course her family was going to respond.
When I say it’s not between Meghan and her family, it’s her half siblings I’m talking about. And it’s not between them because it’s clear there isn’t a relationship there. They do their thing and Meghan does hers. Their worlds don’t interact. KP merely said Harry’s comments speaks for itself, which it does. You can’t really say no comment due to private matter as Harry’s commented on it. Her actual family, like her mom and dad, has not responded. Her relatives, whom she has no relationship with, responded. There is a difference.

ETA: I am also the type that if my boyfriend puts his foot in his mouth like this, I’m gonna let him explain himself to my parents. I didn’t say it, and I’m not going to explain it for him. He needs to fix any problems he might have caused.

Last edited:
Once again I don’t think we should be talking about this family this way . the ones that want publicity should be ignored and the innocence’s should not be talked about at all. I’m very disappointed in this forum right now.

Yes it is. Regardless of their relationship or lack thereof, the issue over Harry’s comments and how Meghan’s family members took them is something that should be talked about between them in private. I don’t see how KP has anything to do with their private relationships. If Meghan didn’t like there comments, then say so to then not to the media. They are related to her and I’m not about to draw some line between family or not. It has no bearing on the issue and does not justify their official statement to the press. We have no right to even comment on their relationships or make that distinction. It’s not our business or right. We don’t know even of them.

Also, Harry is her fiancé. How does that not involve their private life and relationships? It would be the same if it was a friend, acquaintance, or some random person from college. Just don’t comment. Now, the press will be expecting comments on minor issues like this and they will make a bigger deal out of it all because KP commented. It’s pointless, useless discourse and beneath them. Sometimes the best thing to same is nothing at all. Don’t stir the pot or invite conversation. We wouldn’t even continue to talk about this if not for KP’s comment.

Last edited:
No, as I said in an earlier post they are relatives, not "family."

I was responding to this statement--

Not all family are relatives. All relatives are family :ermm:

Your relatives are your extended family. The only difference between the terms, relatives refer to people who are related by blood or marriage. Those people you adopt as your family, are family but not relatives.

Again we may all have family we wish we didn't have. We may never speak to them again. Doesn't change they are family.

Your relatives are your extended family. The only difference between the terms, relatives refer to people who are related by blood or marriage. Those people you adopt as your family, are family but not relatives.

Again we may all have family we wish we didn't have. We may never speak to them again. Doesn't change they are family.

I agree and I also agree with royal rob that we shouldn’t be talking about their relationships or status as family or not. We don’t have that right nor are any of us qualified to make these judgments. Besides, that has nothing to do with the actual issue, at least for me.

See, I believe the reverse. I have lots of relatives but they are not all my family.?

I don't call anyone family whether they are blood or not but I respect not all feel this way.

I think this is just about semantics. Meghan's older siblings are apparently nuts, as evidenced by the fact that their children have said so. The sister is apparently a real piece of work, farming her kids out to relatives around the time when they became teens. The two nieces and nephew seem to have productive lives, and they seem sane and supportive of Meghan.

Yes it is. Regardless of their relationship or lack thereof, the issue over Harry’s comments and how Meghan’s family members took them is something that should be talked about between them in private. I don’t see how KP has anything to do with their private relationships. If Meghan didn’t like there comments, then say so to then not to the media. They are related to her and I’m not about to draw some line between family or not. It has no bearing on the issue and does not justify their official statement to the press. We have no right to even comment on their relationships or make that distinction. It’s not our business or right. We don’t know even of them.

Also, Harry is her fiancé. How does that not involve their private life and relationships? It would be the same if it was a friend, acquaintance, or some random person from college. Just don’t comment. Now, the press will be expecting comments on minor issues like this and they will make a bigger deal out of it all because KP commented. It’s pointless, useless discourse and beneath them. Sometimes the best thing to same is nothing at all. Don’t stir the pot or invite conversation. We wouldn’t even continue to talk about this if not for KP’s comment.

We talk about them here because they’ve talked about it. Mods have deleted posts that called them names in the past, and I expect the same in the future. However, saying we can’t restate facts that came from them or their families is just odd. It’s out there, is it just supposed to be the elephant in the room no one addresses? Some of us refrain from bringing their comments to here when we see them, but once they’ve been brought here, I do think we should give context. They subjected themselves to scrutiny when they invited the media into their homes for money. I’m not sure how Meghan is going to speak to her half siblings about this without expecting them to run to the tabloid about it and thus giving them more material to work with. Meghan has faced all the public humiliation they’ve dealt her this past year with silence and holding her head up high. That’s to her credit, but certainly not something family does to those they love.

And no KP’s comment isn’t causing that much wave. In fact, it hasn’t even been picked up by many media sources. The comments from her half siblings in response to the original comment from Harry is what has caused the media storm. From most of the segments on I’ve seen on different shows, most outlets have been dismissive of their comments. That’s not anything Meghan or Harry did, that’s entirely attributed to their own behavior in the last year.

Last edited:
You all,

Meghan's relationship with her relatives close or distant are none of our business whatsoever and KP should not have even posted the comment they did. It's not their business either!

If Meghan has issue with whatever Harry said or meant, that is for her to address with Harry in private as well as her mother and father if they have issue with whatever he said and meant. It's not our business, not KP and not the media.

Last edited:
You all,

Meghan's relationship with her relatives close or distant are none of our business whatsoever and KP should not have even posted the comment they did. It's not their business either!

If Meghan has issue with what Meghan said or meant, that is for her to address with Harry in private as well as her mother and father if they have issue with whatever he said and meant. It's not our business, not KP and not the media.

This. I completely agree. To me, this is the real issue to discussion not relationships we know nothing about.

Of course it is none of our business. None of this really is our business but if they are going to publicly comment on it then it will get discussed. They are the ones who put it out there. They didn't have to willingly give their private matters to the media. No one forced them. They literally run to the media.

All I can say is that there are some relatives of Meghan's who are downright willing and able to bring all their discontent and disparaging remarks and their feelings of being "slighted" into the public arena. For money no less.

We are not intruding on their private familial relationships, they're bringing it to our attention and putting it in our face and the media is cackling with glee. Over and over and over.... ad nauseum.

I expect to hear a lot more from this corner from now until May. Then we'll hear how absolutely awful it was that Meghan didn't include them in her special day. After all, they are family.

I’m confused by the idea that Meghan’s family should not be discussed here. All married-in royals have separate threads for their families. There are pages and pages about Mary’s, Maxima’s, Sofia’s, Catherine’s, etc. families on this forum. Why is Meghan’s family any different?

Just to make it clear, I’m strongly against insulting comments, but moderators remove those.

I wonder what the official Royal strategy is for dealing with the outspoken members of her family. I'm sure there's a plan.

It might be to let them rant and rave for a few months until the common tabloid press sense boredom and disinterest in their readership. By wedding time, they might cease to be an interesting source for insight.

Last edited:
You all,

If Meghan has issue with what Meghan said or meant, that is for her to address with Harry in private as well as her mother and father if they have issue with whatever he said and meant. It's not our business, not KP and not the media.
By that definition, Meghan was none of our business during the time they were dating as she was a private individual. Yet we discussed her on a daily basis for the past year.

I have no problems with leaving private family members alone and not discuss them or speculate on them much. I was appalled when paparazzi harassed Doria and Tom Sr. As they clearly had no desire to speak to the press about their private lives or relationship with their daughter. However, her half siblings have made the choice to open themselves up for public scrutiny. That’s their choice purely. If they had taken the same strategy as Meghan’s parents, I’d agree with you. However, I’m not understanding why we can’t discuss it if they’ve discussed it publicly. You can’t invoke privacy when we are stating facts they put out there themselves. We know they haven’t talked for almost 10 years because Samantha chose to put it out there that last time they were together was in 2008. And KP didn’t comment on her family, they said Harry’s statement speaks for itself.

I wonder what the official Royal strategy is for dealing with the outspoken members of her family. I'm sure there's a plan.

It might be to let them rant and rave for a few months until the common tabloid press sense boredom and disinterest in their readership. By wedding time, they might cease to be an interesting source for insight.

There isn’t much they can do until they get into territory of defamation. And unfortunately calling your sister names is an opinion and not fact. And hopefully people will see, by the lack of contact, that they have no insight to Meghan or her life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get how this is between Meghan and her estranged siblings, and should be dealt between them in private, when Samantha and Meghan haven't been in any contact for nearly a decade, and Samantha was one of the worst Meghan attackers when the dating news became public. Meghan hasn't had a need or want to be in contact with Samantha for 9 years, and Samantha has felt the need to gives tens of interviews about Meghan, many of them degrading and insulting about Meghan. But somehow Harry's comment about 'family she never had' and KP responding 'Harry's words speak for themselves.' Were out of line, and it should be dealt with privately? I'm confused as why. Why should Meghan now contact Samantha when she hasn't done so for years and years?

Same goes for Tom Jr. He hasn't spoken with Meghan for 6 years, but for some odd reason Meghan should reach out to him now? Why?

Her family does seem to be a mixed bag - so its not surprising that she'd limit her time with some of them. But I have an uneasy feeling about how she seems to have left so many broken relationships in her wake. Other than her mother, who from her life of even a few years ago is she still close to?

Meghan: Volunteering at Skid-Row at 13-
Meghan Markle volunteered on Skid Row when she was 13 | Daily Mail Online

The more I read of some of her interviews, the more I am impressed.

Meghan may have been raised with priviledge, but its obvious her parents have given her a sense of all walks of life. The fears of a 13 year old going into a bad neighborhood like that is quite natural, but she faced them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her family does seem to be a mixed bag - so its not surprising that she'd limit her time with some of them. But I have an uneasy feeling about how she seems to have left so many broken relationships in her wake. Other than her mother, who from her life of even a few years ago is she still close to?

Other than her siblings, exes, and childhood friend... she seems to still have relationships with her past. As pointed out she close to her neice. She still very close to her college friends. Her family except the estranged siblings arent talking. So hard to claim she has broken relationships. Seems more she removed the fakeness out her life.

My question is when is Thom Markle Sr. going to meet his future son-in-law? Two weeks or so before the wedding takes place?

Prince Harry was perfectly within his right to comment on how his bride-to-be felt spending her first Christmas with him and her new family. He said nothing bad. Nevertheless I’ve no doubt Meghan herself would have given him the complete lowdown on all aspects of her life.

And that includes the impact Meghan may have suffered from negative elements that surrounded her life in a distant past as a child, as well the joyful memories of her experiences from the positive people around her.

Heck, Meghan and her fiancé have probably had deep discussions with her mother too, and we know the Prince has a fond admiration for his future mother in law, he admitted as much himself and it was clear to see. I’d say he has a better perception and knowledge of who Meghan regards as family than any of us. And she still is the only child her parents had together, and more importantly she refers to herself as an only child.

I find it bizarre beyond belief that an estranged agnate HALF SIBLING like Samantha (who constantly touts herself as Meghan’s “sister” and “family” to any that would care to listen and who is almost two decades older than her) would take offence at a fairly innocuous festive comment about Meghan. Particularly when she herself has said hateful comments about Meghan to the press and on SM not that long ago. Of course Meghan & Harry are about to marry and she has since changed her tune.

The KP statement was perfect and I’m glad they didn’t issue the standard ‘no comment’ or ‘private family matter’. Their intent was clear, the Prince’s ‘comments speak for themselves’.

Last edited:
I hope we will find out long after it happened, when they meet. Thomas Markle Sr clearly enjoys his privacy, doesn't want the press intrusion and drama they bring, so I'm hoping Meghan and Harry will be able to sneak around the tabloid frenzy and meet him in complete privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom