Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't say they are the first family she's had. Close to her parents isn't the same as having a bustling large family like this.

This is pure common sense ?

He could have worded it differently. Like it's been mentioned, she is not an orphan, grew up being loved by her parents and I guess other family members we probably don't even know about.

I can kinda understand though. I come from a very large family that is only getting larger and my brother's ex is an only child with a schizophrenic father who has been in clinic for over a decade before he died. To her, we were the kind of family she never had. The brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews etc. and it's a big loss for her now their relationship has ended.

Like I said, could have worded it differently and KP threw some major shade.

It’s quite clear Harry wasn’t referring to Meghan’s parents. He has met, likes and respects Doria. He is is also aware as most, that Meghan is an ONLY child of her mum & dad together. She also refers to herself as an only child. I think people should respect that. ?

The half brother wants his 15 minutes now. No direct quote from the father, but the press will hunt him down for comment. Jr. and Sammy have proven Harry's point to a degree; these two know they won't be invited to the wedding and they are lashing out and collecting any payouts from the tabloids. No word from Doria and her side of the family; but anyone who sold Meghan out should expect to watch the wedding on TV from their living room couch.

Exactly.

Meghan is an only child and her parents are decent, you won’t ever catch them yapping off to the press with fake tales for coin. That’s the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan has lived as an only child most of her life. There were not these annual joyful holiday get togethers with her half siblings, this big happy family. It was she and Doria after her parents divorced.

Harry's not done anything wrong...his family, a big group of them, get together every year..it's not something she's ever had. Most likely it is something she might of wanted...which I hear sometimes from friends who are 'only' children. The big family at the holidays.

Folks need to chill out. I'm sure Meghan understood what Harry was saying and if she didn't then that's for them to work out between them.

LaRae

It’s quite clear Harry wasn’t referring to Meghan’s parents. He has met, likes and respects Doria. He is is also aware as most, that Meghan is an ONLY child of her mum & dad together. She also refers to herself as an only child. I think people should respect that. ?

That’s kind of the kicker. If Meghan has referred to herself as an only child it certainly implies that she doesn’t consider her half-siblings to be close family.

I don’t think Harry misspoke at all. Meghan seems to be a woman with a close relationship with her mother, a good relationship (albeit not particularly close) with her father, and not much of a relationship with her extended family. Harry, on the other hand has a brother and sister-in-law he’s very close with, a father and step-mother he’s on good terms with, cousins he’s close with, uncles and aunts who he sees fairly frequently, and grandparents who he has a good relationship with. That is all completely unlike what we know about Meghan’s family.

Absolutely nothing about Meghan’s family makes it seem like she has anything comparable to the somewhat close extended family within the Queen and DoE’s children and grandchildren. And that’s not considering the fact that the Queen’s niece and nephew, her cousins, and all their families get together a few times throughout the year - which is something very unlike most families; after all, how much contact does the average 30-something have with their parents’ cousins, or their grandparents’ cousins?

This brother is estranged from his own sons and his father..her sister is estranged from her children and her mother. They did not grow up with Meghan. Her sister lived in Florida and brother in Oregon during Meghan's formative and teenage years. Bouncing a baby on knee is not the same as growing up with it. The baby has no memory of this . Her brother was 16 and sister was 18 when she was born and they lived with grandmother. I am convinced that Meghan's half siblings are bad eggs.

This is pure common sense [emoji2]
This right here. I adore my parents they are my world; I am an only child and have only spent Christmas with them. Never had one where it was grandma grandpa nieces nephews cousins 2nd cousins, brother, sister, cousins of grand parents etc which is what Harry has every year and what he introduced Meghan to.

Last edited:
Even Meghan's nephew says he wishes he had stayed close to Meghan but a falling out between Tom Markle Jr. and Tom Markle Sr caused a great divide. Nephew says both his father,Tom Jr. and aunt Samantha are crazy.
Meghan has a niece,Ashleigh, she is close to who is 31.Ashleigh is a lawyer. Her mother Samantha did not raise her or brother Christopher and they are estranged from her. Judge felt children better off with their dad.
Sister remarries and divorces again. Had daughter Noel who left home at 14 to live with maternal grandmother because abuse from Samantha's ex-convict boyfriend who still lives with her. Harry was right!

Meghan has referred to herself a few times as an only child. That says a lot. There is nearly 2 decades between her and her siblings. They don't know each other and this bitterness they spewing is pathetic.

Last edited:
She is so far apart in age from her half-siblings that she may as well be an only child.

One thing for sure is that with Meghan's family, they're entertaining to watch and see what comes out of their mouths next. Could say they put the fun in dysfunctional. :D

I don't believe Harry misspoke either.

That’s kind of the kicker. If Meghan has referred to herself as an only child it certainly implies that she doesn’t consider her half-siblings to be close family.

I don’t think Harry misspoke at all. Meghan seems to be a woman with a close relationship with her mother, a good relationship (albeit not particularly close) with her father, and not much of a relationship with her extended family. Harry, on the other hand has a brother and sister-in-law he’s very close with, a father and step-mother he’s on good terms with, cousins he’s close with, uncles and aunts who he sees fairly frequently, and grandparents who he has a good relationship with. That is all completely unlike what we know about Meghan’s family.

Absolutely nothing about Meghan’s family makes it seem like she has anything comparable to the somewhat close extended family within the Queen and DoE’s children and grandchildren. And that’s not considering the fact that the Queen’s niece and nephew, her cousins, and all their families get together a few times throughout the year - which is something very unlike most families; after all, how much contact does the average 30-something have with their parents’ cousins, or their grandparents’ cousins?

Thank you.:flowers:

Pooky what the heck!!!! Are you serious with that background report? Samantha has 3 kids and at some point lost guardianship of all of them? I feel so sorry for this little Noel. I don't want to engage in giving attention to Samantha but I want to learn more about this.

What this does show though is that on Harry's side, we see a family that all comes together as one at Christmastime. On Meghan's side, since she was very young, she lived with a splintered family that probably never came together as a united family. Ever.

Its just the way things go. All families are unique unto themselves with different ways of doing different things. So, IMO, yes, Harry's words of ‘It’s the family, I suppose, that she never had.’ ring true. It most likely was a very first experience for Meghan.

Even Meghan's nephew says he wishes he had stayed close to Meghan but a falling out between Tom Markle Jr. and Tom Markle Sr caused a great divide. Nephew says both his father,Tom Jr. and aunt Samantha are crazy.
Meghan has a niece,Ashleigh, she is close to who is 31.Ashleigh is a lawyer. Her mother Samantha did not raise her or brother Christopher and they are estranged from her. Judge felt children better off with their dad.
Sister remarries and divorces again. Had daughter Noel who left home at 14 to live with maternal grandmother because abuse from Samantha's ex-convict boyfriend who still lives with her. Harry was right!

Somehow it doesn’t seem to right to rubbish anyone who is related to Meghan while a few are wanting attention there is others and no doubt young children involved. It doesn’t seem right to discuss them here in fact I’m surprised some haven’t been deleted

I'd be appalled if my future husband spoke in public in detail about my family, its not his business to do so in the first place. Even worse in Harry's case, whose family is not exactly role model in many regards.

I tend to agree; though he may have thought his comment was innocent, but it came across to many as an insult. Or maybe Prince Harry just was thinking at all about how it may hurt Meghan's blood family regardless if she is close to them or not.

If I were a parent and my daughter's fiance made a comment like Prince Harry's I would find it hurtful as if our family wasn't good enough.

If I were a parent and my daughter's fiance made a comment like Prince Harry's I would find it hurtful as if our family wasn't good enough.

Maybe. But a mature parent, secure in a relationship with the child, would not think twice. I expected the remark would cause a stir, but I really doubt that it has caused a stir with anyone who matters to Harry or Meghan.

As others have pointed out, the number of people who not only gather in the same house with their first and second cousins for Christmas is vanishingly small. Most houses won't fit that many people comfortably (there were 31 family members at the Windsor Christmas Lunch this year and it could be as many as 35 next year -- who here can sit that many to dinner?).

Meghan's half siblings are focussed on the fact that *they* were part of Meghan's family. But that doesn't seem to me to be how Harry's defining "family".

Is there any indication that Meghan even knows any of her great aunts or uncles, or her second cousins, let alone regularly spent Christmas with them?
Or that even one of her grandparents would host a family luncheon with all of Meghan's great-great-grandparent's descendants?
*That's* the type of family Harry was talking about, IMO.

It's actually interesting and instructive to consider Harry's comments in the light of the commentary he and others made in the "Elizabeth at 90: A Family Tribute" documentary from a few years ago. (It's currently on Netflix) Some quotes from Harry:

It can be a nightmare with everyone under one roof. But it's also fantastic because you just never know what's going to happen.
I always say to both my grandparents, "Why do you keep doing it at this age? Why do you have your whole family under one roof? It must just exhaust you." But they love it, they absolutely love it. At least that's what they say.

Note that Sarah, David, and their kids are gathered into "your whole family". Not "why do you have your whole family and Margot's too?".

Maybe. But a mature parent, secure in a relationship with the child, would not think twice. I expected the remark would cause a stir, but I really doubt that it has caused a stir with anyone who matters to Harry or Meghan.

Hm, interesting perspective.

I'm very close with my family and I do believe my parents would be hurt of one of their children's soon-to-be husband or wife made a comment like Prince Harry did.

Maybe your right. Meghan and Harry may not care what Meghan's family thinks nor cares about their feelings regardless if they are close or not.

I always assumed Prince Harry was an empath, but I suppose now I was wrong.

Harry very openly praised Doria, and Meghan said she talks with her dad all the time, and Harry has talked with him too. I don't think Meghan's parents took any issue with what Harry said, the know what he meant.

If any of her estranged family are hurt, and run to the tabloids to sell them a story about just how hurt they are, well, they're estranged for a reason. They clearly aren't Meghan's family, in a non DNA shared sense.

Another way to put it in perspective is that although Tom and Doria have an amicable relationship, they do not form a family. Divorce did that. Tom and Meghan have a personal father/daughter relationship same as Doria and Meghan have a personal mother/daughter relationship. There just isn't really a family since Meghan's parents divorced.

What we have is a blood relationship between children of Tom's ex-wife from his first marriage and Tom's ex-wife from his second marriage. We're talking blood and genetics here and not a family unit.

I am blood related to two people I have never known or never met and most likely they are/were related to a whole bunch of other people. I most certainly would not consider them my "family". The family I do have and am close with are no blood relation but every bit my family. They are the people I cannot imagine my life without.

Somehow it doesn’t seem to right to rubbish anyone who is related to Meghan while a few are wanting attention there is others and no doubt young children involved. It doesn’t seem right to discuss them here in fact I’m surprised some haven’t been deleted

Honestly, if they wish to put themselves out in the tabloid to cash in on their 15 minutes of fame and expose their own family problems. I’m not sure why people here can’t talk about it. All of this pookey mentioned are released by Samantha and Tom JR’s own family after they cashed in with the exception of Samantha’s older children being raised by their grandparents. And I don’t think that is saying anything bad about Samantha’s older children.

Now, I think the opposite. I think it was a wise move for KP to issue an official statement saying "Harry's statement speaks for itself".

Mark your calendar Osipi because this is a very special day!

You and I are going to agree to disagree. (I believe this might be the first time.):ohmy::lol:

I was afraid that his comment would invite further comment from the Markles and apparently Tom Jr. has now joined in the conversation.

I'm hoping that Tom Sr. can exert some influence and ask his older children to stop with the comments and then he can have a chat with Meghan privately.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with his original comments. What I didn’t think was good or helpful was the statement made by KP. It didn’t come across as particularly dignified but rude and unnecessary. It was ridiculous and beneath a press office of the royal family. They aren’t celebrities who need to comment on everything said in the media. I think it’s better not to comment and maintain the same line they’ve always used on not commenting on private matters. This issue is between Meghan and her family not something for the media to be involved in. It just leads to more gossip and media speculation. It takes away from important issues and the work they do as royalty. I don’t understand the point.

I'm very close with my family and I do believe my parents would be hurt of one of their children's soon-to-be husband or wife made a comment like Prince Harry did.

Maybe your right. Meghan and Harry may not care what Meghan's family thinks nor cares about their feelings regardless if they are close or not.

I think that’s blowing things out of proportion a bit to say he’s not an empathy because of this or they don’t care what those Meghan is close to think. Obviously if they have close contact with the couple, as we believe her parents are, then they’d understand what Harry truly meant. Which is no one has quite had a family like his, which is true. To feel like he’s saying you aren’t good enough is a bit dramatic and immature. As for the family that she doesn’t speak to that is selling her out. Well I would say not talking for about 10 years kind of confirms they are only family in the sense of DNA, doesn’t it.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with his original comments. What I didn’t think was good or helpful was the statement made by KP. It didn’t come across as particularly dignified but rude and unnecessary. It was ridiculous and beneath a press office of the royal family. They aren’t celebrities who need to comment on everything said in the media. I think it’s better not to comment and maintain the same line they’ve always used on not commenting on private matters. This issue is between Meghan and her family not something for the media to be involved in. It just leads to more gossip and media speculation. It takes away from important issues and the work they do as royalty. I don’t understand the point.

I don’t see anything wrong with what was said. This isn’t between Meghan and her family. This is about estranged family who has felt the need to constantly comment on the couple since the beginning as if they are involved, and they aren’t. Harry stands by his comment, which except for some dubious need to twist it, isn’t wrong.

I was afraid that his comment would invite further comment from the Markles and apparently Tom Jr. has now joined in the conversation.

I'm hoping that Tom Sr. can exert some influence and ask his older children to stop with the comments and then he can have a chat with Meghan privately.

Tom Jr’s Comments have nothing to do with KP statement. In fact, I don’t believe many outlets have ran with the statement even. The article didn’t mention this. It was on the original statements. They just got to him later whereas Samantha tweeted her comments without being asked.

And I don’t think Tom Sr will be able to work it out. If he has any influence over his older children, Meghan wouldn’t have to had to deal with all this public humiliation caused by them in the last year.

I agree that the huge family Christmas lunch and then the large family Christmas was probably unlike Meghan's previous Christmases.
Hel, Cocoasneeze and Osipi made some excellent points in their posts. There is a difference between relatives and family. It seems like Meghan has relatives, but not much family.
Royal Rob wrote-"Somehow it doesn’t seem to right to rubbish anyone who is related to Meghan while a few are wanting attention there is others and no doubt young children involved." I don't think there are any young children involved here-Meghan's nieces and nephews are adults, mostly only a few years younger than she is. They don't have a relationship with their dysfunctional parents (Meghan's half sister and half brother) either.

I don’t see anything wrong with what was said. This isn’t between Meghan and her family. This is about estranged family who has felt the need to constantly comment on the couple since the beginning as if they are involved, and they aren’t. Harry stands by his comment, which except for some dubious need to twist it, isn’t wrong.

How is it not an issue between her and her family? This is not a matter for public discourse. Why comment? Meghan is not unique. Everyone who has married into royal families have had people including families make comments. The response from KP came across as petty, messy and has not helped anything. Its just added more fuel to the fire the media love it but who else and what’s the point? Harry would have stood by his comment regardless. There was no need for their spokesperson to respond that way. Of course her family was going to respond.

The thing though is only ones "offended" are the estranged siblings who don't have a real relationship with her anyways. Harry praised Doria. Meghan is close to her parents. I have zero doubt they called them and made sure they understood what he meant. KP put out a statement so Meghan was aware and had her approval to comment. Samantha and Thomas Jr being bitter is not of their concern. Their feelings don't really matter.

Mark your calendar Osipi because this is a very special day!

You and I are going to agree to disagree. (I believe this might be the first time.):ohmy::lol:

Thomas Jr hasn't spoken to Sr in years apparently. Samantha and Jr both have trashed the other and spoken about how they are estranged with each other and Meghan. That is why them ranting on publicly is so insane. None of these people are close whatsoever.

How is it not an issue between her and her family? This is not a matter for public discourse. Why comment? Meghan is not unique. Everyone who has married into royal families have had people including families make comments. The response from KP came across as petty, messy and has not helped anything. Its just added more fuel to the fire the media love it but who else and what’s the point? Harry would have stood by his comment regardless. There was no need for their spokesperson to respond that way. Of course her family was going to respond.

Except her family didn't respond only her estranged relatives did--the half siblings she hasn't had any contact with for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom