Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More money than a book deal would bring in one imagines. Thanks for your post, I have no idea how the US legal system works so it seems unlikely a book could be published without a huge struggle.

At the end of the day, it's going to be depending on what she puts in there. While there is the freedom of speech and press, but if she just starts making up stuff, there are ways to stop it. She can't even find a publisher right now. But in generally, US does like exercising our rights in the courtroom. :lol:

Last edited:
At the end of the day, it's going to be depending on what she puts in there. While there is the freedom of speech and press, but if she just starts making up stuff, there are ways to stop it. She can't even find a publisher right now.

Would there be a publisher anyway who would be willing to strike a deal with her?
You can't read their minds, of course, but I don't know how that works (in the US).

At the end of the day, it's going to be depending on what she puts in there. While there is the freedom of speech and press, but if she just starts making up stuff, there are ways to stop it. She can't even find a publisher right now.

I imagine a publisher will expect to see something a) news worthy, b) exclusive and c) with enough evidence to avoid a legal challenge. With a decent team of lawyers and publishers she could pull it off but I doubt she has that. If someone else with an interest funds it? That’s different but at this stage it would have be someone with a huge grudge and something big to gain. Doesn’t rule it out but it’s very unlikely.

She could self-publish through Amazon, but that would take some work on her part. I wonder if she's running around saying she's writing a book in order to entice some publisher or ghost writer into collaborating with her.

At this very moment it makes me wonder just what Meghan has done for Samantha to be so jealous of her. Would that be about Harry?

She could self-publish through Amazon, but that would take some work on her part. I wonder if she's running around saying she's writing a book in order to entice some publisher or ghost writer into collaborating with her.

That's likely the case. If she tries to self-publish through Amazon, that means she wouldn't have a team of lawyers behind her to fight against any of the lawyers at the royal family's disposal. It makes life easier for those at the Palace.

At this very moment it makes me wonder just what Meghan has done for Samantha to be so jealous of her. Would that be about Harry?

From what other family members have said, she's just been in general jealous of Meghan even before this. The gist I got from all of the chatty family members is that Meghan has worked hard and made something of herself, even before Harry, and Samantha just never did. She tried modeling and acting as well when she was younger, but obviously nothing came of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all we know, Samantha could be popping up in the media with the ulterior motive of saying "remember me?" I'm the long lost sister and I *am* family. You're going to have this huge, wonderful wedding and I want to be included.". Of course she's going about it the wrong way and even with flip flopping, she's just making things worse for herself.

No matter what is in Meghan's past, it was all BH (Before Harry). Just as what happened in Vegas was BM (Before Meghan). I seriously doubt that anything Samantha could write (how much does she actually know about Meghan's day to day life if she's been estranged for years anyways?) that Harry wouldn't know about. Anything remotely scandalous or deemed inappropriate would have already been discovered.

Like ants at a picnic, they're surefire to be there but the smart people spray the area with Yard Guard or take measures to assure they're not bothered. To even *acknowledge* Samantha's rantings and ravings gives Samantha the satisfaction that she's riled a few feathers and will go for the slaughter. Especially if she isn't invited to the wedding.

I'm in the don't poke the bear and let sleeping dogs lie camp.

From what other family members have said, she's just been in general jealous of Meghan even before this. The gist I got from all of the chatty family members is that Meghan has worked hard and made something of herself, even before Harry, and Samantha just never did. She tried modeling and acting as well when she was younger, but obviously nothing came of it.

Ah, so it appears that Meghan must pay for Samantha's failure and the latter takes the easy way out by complaining?

I am inclined to agree, which is one reason I was a bit dubious about Meghan.. she seems to have a lot of things that are "new" and may add an element of "celebrity" to the RF's image. Being an actress, not being British or familiar with Britain, being a career woman in job which tends to demand self promotion.. and her family has clearly got problems with this sister. Its not Meg's fault but it does not help. It may indeed put off older fans of the RF who are part of its "loyal fanbase". Of course every family has embarrassing members.
But I can't really see what can be done to shut the woman up other than quietly payng her to sign some kind of "stay quite" agreement.. and even tehn I suspect she might not abide by it...
In short I think that Meghan will have to work really hard to seem ultra proper and to do a good job as a Royal duchess....

And presuming she knows nothing of Britain. You don't have to be British to know about British culture and history. You commonly study the history in school. She has also visited the UK over the years as well. Its not like she is marrying into some little known country some may never have heard of.

Her career wasn't as much about self-promotion as promoting the show she was on. And why is that a bad thing? Being a royal is very much the same thing. Royals are very much public figures/celebrities. Their role in life is to promote the royal family and the charities/country they represent. Understanding public image, and the affect it can have to bring attention to needed causes, are skills actually key to being successful as a royal.

If Samantha produces a book...

...there is nothing to prevent it being published. US law does not allow prior restraint unless national security is involved. So, unless Meghan is a double super secret spy(;)), Samantha can write a book and may be able to get it published. If it is untruthful and defamatory, then it can be pursued through the courts.

And presuming she knows nothing of Britain. You don't have to be British to know about British culture and history. You commonly study the history in school. She has also visited the UK over the years as well. Its not like she is marrying into some little known country some may never have heard of

Again, I don't see anybody suggesting that. It is true however that you can study a country all you like but living there is a very different kettle of fish, especially in the unique role Meghan will have to play nationally. I don't doubt that she'll do it very well indeed but it'll be a learning curve. The British people are fickle types and sometimes surprise people. For example, the Americans tend to be encouraging and celebrate their achievements openly, the British don't and tend to be more subdued. And just as someone figures that out, we change the rules and boast a little leaving the person totally perplexed. Thank goodness she'll never have to master a revolving door in the UK when we apologise to the person in front, the person behind, ourselves and the door.

Her career wasn't as much about self-promotion as promoting the show she was on. And why is that a bad thing? Being a royal is very much the same thing. Royals are very much public figures/celebrities. Their role in life is to promote the royal family and the charities/country they represent. Understanding public image, and the affect it can have to bring attention to needed causes, are skills actually key to being successful as a royal.

This is where I absolutely agree with you. The Royals don't self promote. They have no need to. As you rightly say, what they do is promote a brand - that brand being the United Kingdom. There's only room for one star of the show and that's the Queen. Every member of the Royal Family promotes their own causes and builds unique relationships with charities and organisations that last a lifetime. But at all times, there's absolutely no time for individual successes or praise. Look at Meghan's future father-in-law. It's taken years for anyone to say "Well done" on his environmental work or even the Prince's Trust. And even then, he'd never have expected such praise. Meghan might find that approach hard to adjust to at first. Being a celebrity does require a little self-promotion outside of promoting a recent TV show or movie so I think she has had to push herself forward in the past. But I also don't get the impression this was a big deal to her. I think she seems to have enjoyed her work more than the limited fame that came with it. So as you say, her skills will be an asset.

But I think what Denville was saying (and what I agreed with) was that the Royal Family are never ever celebrities. They might appear globally in gossip columns next to and with celebrities but they are not celebrities. Precisely for the reason you mention: they're working for others, not themselves. That's the distinction. Being a minor celeb will help Meghan prepare for her new life I've no doubt but it ends now. She is no longer a celebrity. She's famous and always will be. But she will now be a member of the British Royal Family and that comes with a whole different rule book. Celebrities share alot of themselves, they covet fame and success, they seek rewards. Royalty doesn't. It's when people see elements of celebrity creep in (It's a Royal Knockout, Fergie on QVC) that they panic a little. The institution only works when it's at the top of the food chain. Anyone can become a celebrity, hardly anyone becomes royalty. If anyone could have what they have and do what they do? We'd be a republic and we wouldn't be chatting about the future Princess Henry of Wales at all.

It's best to just ignore Samantha. To attempt to buy her off will just give credence to her nastiness.

She can say whatever she wishes, but if it is known that Meghan has no contact with her, there will be a limit to any allegations she can make.

The more distance between them, the better for Meghan.

Indeed, the only true scandal I can think of is if they started paying Samantha to keep her mouth shut as that would suggest there is something to hide and she needs to be bribed to keep quiet (which I doubt would be effective but that's a different matter).

I imagine a publisher will expect to see something a) news worthy, b) exclusive and c) with enough evidence to avoid a legal challenge. With a decent team of lawyers and publishers she could pull it off but I doubt she has that. If someone else with an interest funds it? That’s different but at this stage it would have be someone with a huge grudge and something big to gain. Doesn’t rule it out but it’s very unlikely.

It's far harder to get publishing deals than it used to be (although it's never been all that easy), but the main thing a publisher is going to be looking for in an "insider's view" of a royal is marketability. It can be old news or fake news as long as they can sell it. But Samantha Grant herself is a liability on that count. She changes her tune every time she opens her mouth. She's told her quite juicy proposed title to everyone who will listen, but then she's turned around and denied that it would be a tell-all. She's complained rather bitterly about Meghan, but then praised her to high heaven. Marketing in tandem with her would be a nightmare. She'll only get the deal if a publishing house happens to have an executive in the PR department who is excited by the challenge of trying to keep her on a single track while they promote the book.

Again, I don't see anybody suggesting that. It is true however that you can study a country all you like but living there is a very different kettle of fish, especially in the unique role Meghan will have to play nationally. I don't doubt that she'll do it very well indeed but it'll be a learning curve. The British people are fickle types and sometimes surprise people. For example, the Americans tend to be encouraging and celebrate their achievements openly, the British don't and tend to be more subdued. And just as someone figures that out, we change the rules and boast a little leaving the person totally perplexed. Thank goodness she'll never have to master a revolving door in the UK when we apologise to the person in front, the person behind, ourselves and the door.

This is where I absolutely agree with you. The Royals don't self promote. They have no need to. As you rightly say, what they do is promote a brand - that brand being the United Kingdom. There's only room for one star of the show and that's the Queen. Every member of the Royal Family promotes their own causes and builds unique relationships with charities and organisations that last a lifetime. But at all times, there's absolutely no time for individual successes or praise. Look at Meghan's future father-in-law. It's taken years for anyone to say "Well done" on his environmental work or even the Prince's Trust. And even then, he'd never have expected such praise. Meghan might find that approach hard to adjust to at first. Being a celebrity does require a little self-promotion outside of promoting a recent TV show or movie so I think she has had to push herself forward in the past. But I also don't get the impression this was a big deal to her. I think she seems to have enjoyed her work more than the limited fame that came with it. So as you say, her skills will be an asset.

But I think what Denville was saying (and what I agreed with) was that the Royal Family are never ever celebrities. They might appear globally in gossip columns next to and with celebrities but they are not celebrities. Precisely for the reason you mention: they're working for others, not themselves. That's the distinction. Being a minor celeb will help Meghan prepare for her new life I've no doubt but it ends now. She is no longer a celebrity. She's famous and always will be. But she will now be a member of the British Royal Family and that comes with a whole different rule book. Celebrities share alot of themselves, they covet fame and success, they seek rewards. Royalty doesn't. It's when people see elements of celebrity creep in (It's a Royal Knockout, Fergie on QVC) that they panic a little. The institution only works when it's at the top of the food chain. Anyone can become a celebrity, hardly anyone becomes royalty. If anyone could have what they have and do what they do? We'd be a republic and we wouldn't be chatting about the future Princess Henry of Wales at all.

Denville also suggested that Meghan knew Nothing about the UK. There is a difference between learning curve of moving to a new country, and being ignorant about the country.

Royals are celebrities. In that they are public figures, public figures who use their high profile status, to promote things. Celebrities don't just do self promotion. They promote charities (Meghan has numerous charities) as well as their work they do. They all work hard to promote themselves and their charity work. Its not going to help any charity work that they do

The way the media have gone after Meghan's life leaves me to believe if they had anything viable they would have used it by now. I also have zero doubt the BRF have done their needed research against her as well. I doubt she has anything more scandalous than what they have had to deal with themselves.

Not sure it this goes here so please ignore if not appropriate .....I was flipping through channels on the TV at 3pm here and whoa, up pops Harry and the loud mouth sister and how she tells that Meghan has a huge family on the Inside Edition show........watched it and there is nothing new, yes Meghan has family as we all know yet just different as we all know. It did show her dad and the doll house with the 2 parents and 2 dolls that were one of each color which was really thoughtful of him I thought. Other then that nothing new from Sam who is out to make a huge buck on this. Wonder if Inside Edition paid her and how much? She is using this to make money no doubt about it and will continue to do so until the last buck stops coming.

Be born? She the second family and from what we know Meghan benefitted from the lottery win with expensive schooling. I'm sure she felt some kind of way that her little sister was given opportunities she wasn't despite the claim otherwise. She has gone off to have a successful career and now marrying a prince. I'm sure she been bitter all her life that her father doted on his new daughter.

Harry should have thought the comment through. I don't think he meant Doria but Samantha trying to cash in. Speaking of Sammy, the more serious American press and now running this story and she is not coming off too well. Newsweek tried to reach her for comments and she's hiding from them. Samantha doesn't want to face solid journalists in an interview because they will challenge and fact check everything she said; and worse, the serious press may unearth no so flattering things about her that have not been published.

Harry should have thought the comment through. I don't think he meant Doria but bums like Samantha trying to cash in. Speaking of Sammy, the more serious American press and now running this story and she is not coming off too well. Newsweek tried to reach her for comments and she's hiding from them. Samantha doesn't want to face solid journalists in an interview because they will challenge and fact check everything she said; and worse, the serious press may unearth no so flattering things about her that have not been published.

Remember when the radio host hung up on her?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/521649...e-sister-samantha-grant-radio-4-christmas/amp

Most of the media are running the story right now. So far just has them talking to her but mocking her as well. She been doing this for over a year. Same nonsense. No one takes her seriously.

A Kensington Palace spokesperson has responded to the press regarding Ms. Grant's remarks.

Meghan Markle's sister responds to Harry's family comments - BBC News

IMHO I'm a bit surprised that the KP spokesperson didn't reply with the standard "We do not comment upon private family matters."

I was surprised too. I think it was a mistake of KP to comment on this. All it is going to do is stoke the fire. What happened to "never complain, never explain."? Now it looks like they are subtly engaging in an argument with Samantha, and all she will do is milk it for all she can get out of it.

Now, I think the opposite. I think it was a wise move for KP to issue an official statement saying "Harry's statement speaks for itself".

It shows that its not Meghan firing back at her half sister but it shows that everyone around Meghan that really and truly know her have issued a statement from the offices of Kensington Palace (Harry, William, Kate and soon to be Meghan) that they are in full support of Harry's fiancee and stand behind Harry's words. Kind of like an elephant speaking out against a little mouse that roared.

It also, to me, indicates that on Meghan's side of things, they're very aware of what Ms. Grant is doing and not to expect any kind of an invitation to the wedding as she is a persona non grata.

I feel sorry for Meghan that she has this sister in the wings. She will be the new Andrew Morton Paul Burrell and James Hewitt; pushing herself into every story related to the BRF despite their 15 mins being up.

I was surprised too. I think it was a mistake of KP to comment on this. All it is going to do is stoke the fire. What happened to "never complain, never explain."? Now it looks like they are subtly engaging in an argument with Samantha, and all she will do is milk it for all she can get out of it.

I don't think so--KP issued a very succinct, flat statement. They didn't engage or go into any discussion.

Now, I think the opposite. I think it was a wise move for KP to issue an official statement saying "Harry's statement speaks for itself".

It shows that its not Meghan firing back at her half sister but it shows that everyone around Meghan that really and truly know her have issued a statement from the offices of Kensington Palace (Harry, William, Kate and soon to be Meghan) that they are in full support of Harry's fiancee and stand behind Harry's words. Kind of like an elephant speaking out against a little mouse that roared.

It also, to me, indicates that on Meghan's side of things, they're very aware of what Ms. Grant is doing and not to expect any kind of an invitation to the wedding as she is a persona non grata.

I agree. They know what's going on and said as much. There was no apology (nor should have been) and making it known that Samantha is actually proving a point in his worlds in a way. I'm glad they commented on it in a very direct way. Harry said it and stands by his own words. The end.

I don’t think KP’s comment is explaining or complaining. They can’t really say we don’t comment on private matters because Harry commented on it. They aren’t commenting on Samantha, they are saying Harry’s comments speaks for themselves and left it at his comments.

Y'know, after Samantha's dig at how Meghan already had a family in response to Harry's statement, the KP official release of the statement proves another point. Samantha is speaking out and writing against Meghan. The KP statement proves that the family that she's marrying into stands behind her and protects her in a "one for all and all for one" manner.

Think about it, what does real family do? :D

Y'know, after Samantha's dig at how Meghan already had a family in response to Harry's statement, the KP official release of the statement proves another point. Samantha is speaking out and writing against Meghan. The KP statement proves that the family that she's marrying into stands behind her and protects her in a "one for all and all for one" manner.

That’s true. Honestly, seeing her interacting with Wales branch of the family and inviting her to Christmas showed that the BRF is being very welcoming to her.

Meghan Markle: Family and Background

I don't think so--KP issued a very succinct, flat statement. They didn't engage or go into any discussion.

Agreed. All they did was was reiterate that Harry said what he said. They didn’t defend, debate or argue anything and left nowhere for this to go.

Last edited:

I did not think about it that way, but that does make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom