The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
What Alliec76 said.

Tom Sr. has certainly made a mess of things, but he didn't have a heart attack at Meghan, or set out to ruin her wedding, create controversy, and spoil the fantasy for all of us fascinated observers.

I think TMZ is terrible, but the one mildly ethical thing they have done is not reveal where Tom Sr. is. Hopefully he can have his procedure, and recover quickly, and resume his preferred life of obscurity.
For a man who prefers obscurity, he has certainly become quite comfortable with having TMZ as his spokesperson despite the incredible embarrassment and PR nightmare this is causing his daughter and the Royal Family.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
In their video statement TMZ stated the reporter had been texting Mr. M and being helpful to him. To me, that sounds like the reporter was trying to create an in with Mr. M. It sounds a lot like how predators "groom" their victims. I'm not saying the reporter was that devious and perhaps he really does have Mr. M's best interests at heart. It just seems to me that Mr. M didn't just arbitrarily call up TMZ to report on his situation - rather he felt he was talking to someone who had been kind to him.
This makes sense, and is fairly typical with a certain type of reporter. It blurs the lines in a what is really an exploitive relationship, so that the target (in this case Thomas Markle Sr.) begins to think of the relationship as a personal one. It wouldn't work with a press-savvy target, but Tom Sr. is a private person, was clearly under a lot of stress, and must have been an easy mark.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If it is a stunt or a lie, then Tom Sr has just made things worse to himself and his image. I don't think he is lying though. I expect KP now to release a statement confirming Tom won't attend due to surgery. It is actually the most convenient solution to end this media crisis.
Yes, in fact, it's a bit too convenient...
Old 05-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I haven't watched but in case someone was interested.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
For a man who prefers obscurity, he has certainly become quite comfortable with having TMZ as his spokesperson
It is remarkable how financial incentives can change long held preferences...
Old 05-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post

And when he gets caught all the different excuses......just a pig in suit, oh pardon me, sweatsuit.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Courtier

I'm sorry to say this, but that Meghan Markle came with a difficult family "baggage" (including her own divorce) was clear from the start. I'm not sure what could have been done to prevent this ridiculous, embarrassing circus since the days when the RF could veto spouses for its members are (more or less!) over, but I feel this is getting completely out of control. It will take a lot of effort to steady this ship. After the wedding, which will be unfortunately forever marred by this pantomime, they should really lay low, roll their sleeves up, stay away as much as possible from the press and focus on real, gritty work. I'm honestly not a fan of either PH and MM (I personally think they represent a flightiness and lack of depth so typical of their generation), and beyond the glamour and joy that a royal wedding brings I see them as having a very steep learning curve to climb. But, again, this is my very personal opinion.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's interesting how it's easy to forget that he has turned tens of thousands of dollar down and TMZ has made it clear they aren't paying him. Do I agree with what he did? No. But to act like this is about money isn't accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
I'm sorry to say this, but that Meghan Markle came with a difficult family "baggage" (including her own divorce) was clear from the start. I'm not sure what could have been done to prevent this ridiculous, embarrassing circus since the days when the RF could veto spouses for its members are (more or less!) over, but I feel this is getting completely out of control. It will take a lot of effort to steady this ship. After the wedding, which will be unfortunately forever marred by this pantomime, they should really lay low, roll their sleeves up, stay away as much as possible from the press and focus on real, gritty work. I'm honestly not a fan of either PH and MM (I personally think they represent a flightiness and lack of depth so typical of their generation), and beyond the glamour and joy that a royal wedding brings I see them as having a very steep learning curve to climb. But, again, this is my very personal opinion.
NO ONE comes with more family baggage than BRF.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But to act like this is about money isn't accurate.
Enlighten me, then as to his motives and theirs ? Is he 'helping' them [make money] out of charity ?
It is WHOLLY unbelievable that Money 'hasn't changed hands' in this deeply tawdry and dishonourable episode..
Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Yeah. We have pages and pages of discussion on here not to add other forums, social media etc, about how much Meghan has to change to fit in Harry's royal family. She's been judged for her clothes, hugging people, smiling, basically anything she does. There is the much talked unwritten royal protocol she has to follow. She has to curtsey some people. Well, all of it. Added the paparazzi, press intrusion etc. If THAT is not package, I don't know what is.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Enlighten me, then as to his motives and theirs ? Is he 'helping' them [make money] out of charity ?
It is WHOLLY unbelievable than Money 'hasn't changed hands' in this deeply tawdry and dishonourable episode..
Look, while the TMZ guys aren't the most moral people on Earth, they are lawyers. They might try to omit certain facts sometimes, but they are careful with how they state facts if they come out and say it's a fact. And trust me when I say some people have the ability to just screw things up even more when they think they are clarifying things.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I haven't watched but in case someone was interested.
Ok, I actually just watched this - she's not as stupid as I thought she would be and she can be quite articulate. Clearly, she wants the attention, she's done more harm than good, etc. etc. but I'm surprised when she said she was in fact "contacted" and asked by (I imagine) KP not to speak to the press early in the year (btw, not sooner??). Wouldn't it have been better if Meghan had talked to her personally? This is odd. I would be upset, too if a "representative" instead of your half-sibling would call me. I don't know I see so many poor choices made all around...and to see them played out in public is just sad. What a spectacle.

Quote:
True!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Commoner

At this point, any statement KP makes will be used against them. It's akin making a move on a chessboard, and KP isn't going to play that game.

Samantha is a [...] narcissist. Having dealt with these people in a family situation, I can tell you that the best way to deal with them is....not to have any contact at all. Say nothing. It's akin to dealing with terrorists-you don't negotiate. Anything you say can and will be used against you. Narcissists are extremely clever at using character assassination.

Also, having had heart surgery, I can tell you Mr. Markle Sr. is not going to be in any shape to communicate with the press for at least 48 hours, if his surgery is today. That goes for texting, too. Even for day surgery, he'll be getting some morphine or strong pain meds that will sedate him for a bit.

If I see anything from TMZ saying they have spoken directly with him today, or texts being sent directly from Mr. Markle, I am going to be inclined to think this heart trouble is a farce.

Poor Meghan....I feel so badly for her I simply cannot stand it. Thank God her Mother is now there with her, along with her best friend. I'm praying that all this drama will end and wind down now. However, with Samanatha's propensity for drama, somehow I dread thinking she has saved her best, for last.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ok, I actually just watched this - she's not as stupid as I thought she would be and she can be quite articulate. Clearly, she wants the attention, she's done more harm than good, etc. etc. but I'm surprised when she said she was in fact "contacted" and asked by (I imagine) KP not to speak to the press early in the year (btw, not sooner??). Wouldn't it have been better if Meghan had talked to her personally? This is odd. I would be upset, too if a "representative" instead of your half-sibling would call me. I don't know I see so many poor choices made all around...and to see them played out in public is just sad. What a spectacle.
Why would Meghan talk to her personally? They haven't spoken to each other in years, and she has been gunning for Meghan since this relationship came to light. Any advice from KP is a courtesy. Sometimes it is a bad idea to actually have those involved contact if you want to just deal with the facts. Emotions tend to run high and people do things and complicate matter more than it needs to. I highly doubt Samantha would just say ok, that's fine if Meghan contacted her to give this advice.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Why would Meghan talk to her personally? They haven't spoken to each other in years, and she has been gunning for Meghan since this relationship came to light. Any advice from KP is a courtesy. Sometimes it is a bad idea to actually have those involved contact if you want to just deal with the facts. Emotions tend to run high and people do things and complicate matter more than it needs to. I highly doubt Samantha would just say ok, that's fine if Meghan contacted her to give this advice.
Why? Because she's asking a favour: "Please, I know we're not in good terms, but I would really appreciate if you could refrain from speaking to the press. It would greatly upset both our father and I, thank you. If there's anything I can do for you in this matter, please, let me know. If you're speaking to the press for monetary gain, let me know, and we'll help you arrange something with a reputable publication which will portray all of us in a good light" (like that has not been done before...). I don't think KP gave advice, I think they asked NOT to speak to the press,hardly a piece of advice.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its actually better that any correspondence or communication right now with any of the Markle family is done through KP. KP is Harry's and soon to be Meghan's offices and to communicate this way, shows that this isn't personal, family business communication but more on an "official" level where copies are kept and filed away. KP is their middle man. KP speaks on behalf of Harry and Meghan in a non personal way.

It also prevents any kind of quote being attributed to Meghan or any one person.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
In their video statement TMZ stated the reporter had been texting Mr. M and being helpful to him. To me, that sounds like the reporter was trying to create an in with Mr. M. It sounds a lot like how predators "groom" their victims. I'm not saying the reporter was that devious and perhaps he really does have Mr. M's best interests at heart. It just seems to me that Mr. M didn't just arbitrarily call up TMZ to report on his situation - rather he felt he was talking to someone who had been kind to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
This makes sense, and is fairly typical with a certain type of reporter. It blurs the lines in a what is really an exploitive relationship, so that the target (in this case Thomas Markle Sr.) begins to think of the relationship as a personal one. It wouldn't work with a press-savvy target, but Tom Sr. is a private person, was clearly under a lot of stress, and must have been an easy mark.
I think this makes more sense than Sr suddenly deciding to blab all to the media after months of silence.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I definitely don’t agree with your assessment of Harry and Meghan nor the idea of them going into hiding. It’s just not that deep. Is it embarrassing? Yes. The BRF dealt with bigger and badder. They need to just keep doing what they normally do. Glad they have an engagement a few days later. Change the narrative though most don’t have negative feelings towards the couple. Most see the drama for what it is.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why? Because she's asking a favour: "Please, I know we're not in good terms, but I would really appreciate if you could refrain from speaking to the press. It would greatly upset both our father and I, thank you. If there's anything I can do for you in this matter, please, let me know. If you're speaking to the press for monetary gain, let me know, and we'll help you arrange something with a reputable publication which will portray all of us in a good light" (like that has not been done before...). I don't think KP gave advice, I think they asked NOT to speak to the press,hardly a piece of advice.
I think this is an awful idea. Unless a legal team is involved, there should be no contact between that woman (Samantha) and anyone at KP or in the BRF.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Meghan wouldn’t nor shouldn’t talk to someone like Samantha in an unofficial way. It has been proven more than once how much she hates Meghan. So going through KP was wise. Not that it mattered as Samantha clearly didn’t care and really wants her little fame.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, meghan markle, royal family