The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 12-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,260
Social class in Britain is not what it was thirty or even twenty years ago, IMO. Accents matter less and less, the ascent upwards (and down) has become much more fluid. The class indicator below shows the divergence, the emerging of at least seven different social classes. This has been much discussed in Britain.

Huge survey reveals seven social classes in UK - BBC News

Plus, there have been interesting surveys conducted in the US since 2011 that have shown that those struggling at the lower levels there are finding it harder to rise. An article in the New York Times a while ago stated that studies have shown that, against the common perceptions, it's actually easier to get ahead in Britain socially and economically than in the US over the past few years.
__________________

  #222  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I believe Iíve read he is 6í3Ē. So he is quite tall.
__________________

  #223  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Meghan is about 5'7 from what I have read...her mom looks a bit shorter. Her dad is around Harry's height.



LaRae
  #224  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
I havenít seen this interview of Meghan before. It was on Water Day 2016 I believe. She talks about her work with World Vision here.

  #225  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,260
I hadn't seen that clip before. Very impressive in the commitment to clean water in Rwanda and throughout the Third World. Do you have a link, please?
  #226  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,217
Great interview. Although my one critique is that I found her to be slightly dismissive of the awful plight of folks in Flint whose children will be dealing with the impact of polluted water for the rest of their lives and where many people cannot afford to leave. On the flip, I am happy to hear her draw some connections there.

Interesting that she states she has been connected to WV for a while. Don't think I knew she was connected to them before her ambassadorship.
  #227  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Great interview. Although my one critique is that I found her to be slightly dismissive of the awful plight of folks in Flint whose children will be dealing with the impact of polluted water for the rest of their lives and where many people cannot afford to leave. On the flip, I am happy to hear her draw some connections there.

Interesting that she states she has been connected to WV for a while. Don't think I knew she was connected to them before her ambassadorship.
I don't find her dismissive at all about the ordeal in Flint. She mentioned them, which she didn't need to, considering she was there promoting world vision. Simply mentioned that the US has a structure and frame work to deal with it. As horrible to say as it is, that people need to buy bottled water, there is the option. There is the resources to deal with the issue, and though it took time, the levels are at adequate now.

Unfortunately for people in Africa, they don't have the option to 'buy bottled water' nor simply 'boil the water'. These people walk miles for water, and they don't have the option. That was her point.

Meghan mentioned being involved. Many people are involved. I am involved in world vision. As a sponsor. You sponsor children and the money you donate goes to them as well as their village. Its a very common donation in Canada, a lot of people do.
  #228  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I don't find her dismissive at all about the ordeal in Flint. She mentioned them, which she didn't need to, considering she was there promoting world vision. Simply mentioned that the US has a structure and frame work to deal with it. As horrible to say as it is, that people need to buy bottled water, there is the option. There is the resources to deal with the issue, and though it took time, the levels are at adequate now.

Unfortunately for people in Africa, they don't have the option to 'buy bottled water' nor simply 'boil the water'. These people walk miles for water, and they don't have the option. That was her point.

Meghan mentioned being involved. Many people are involved. I am involved in world vision. As a sponsor. You sponsor children and the money you donate goes to them as well as their village. Its a very common donation in Canada, a lot of people do.
I still found her quote off putting as someone who has been on the ground in Flint pretty recently, and I can tell you its hardly something I would call dealt with or at level. But I obviously take your point that there is different levels of response in Flint versus Rwanda or other places which face water insecurity.

I am very aware of WV's reach as I interned with them during college focusing on the their ME peace work I had just never heard Meghan mention being involved with them prior to the water campaign in a personal way, and I was pleased to hear she did have a personal connection going back a while.

Speaking of connections to faith groups, Catholic News Service ran a piece on Meghan! Meghan had apparently called one of her theology teachers from HS a great inspiration for her and the Catholic Social Justice theology an incredible foundation for her later work. She stated this in a book she took part in last year I guess. It is very cool to see how so many different communities are connecting with Meghan and her journey. You need a subscription to read the article. I only got to read it because my aunt is a subscriber and found it and thought she would share it with given my Markle Mania lol I will try to pull the text for folks too.

Catholic high school teacher inspired Meghan Markle's outreach
  #229  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Honestly, I didnít find her dismissive because she was giving examples of water problems in the developed world and it really doesnít compare to the situation in Africa. I also think sometimes being boots on the ground gives a different perspective on different situations.

Anyways, I hope to share this not only because Meghan, but it also highlights a issue around the world. I think itís good for us that lives in the western world (or at least me) to see situation like this. I donít think most people think twice about how lucky we are to have easy access to clean water and how that small thing we think about actually holds others back so much when they donít have it.
  #230  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 AM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: maidstone, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,189
I thought she was 5'4
__________________
Ashelen
  #231  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,260
There's probably no problem with the Meghan news commentary in your country Zaira because you don't have to put up with tabloids pointing offensively to dreadlocks and 'straight outa Compton' and 'exotic blood' about which Harry was so annoyed.
However, it's heartwarming to read, as I did the other day, that Nigerians and other Commonwealth citizens from African nations are now taking a keen interest in this romance.
  #232  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
There's probably no problem with the Meghan news commentary in your country Zaira because you don't have to put up with tabloids pointing offensively to dreadlocks and 'straight outa Compton' and 'exotic blood' about which Harry was so annoyed.
However, it's heartwarming to read, as I did the other day, that Nigerians and other Commonwealth citizens from African nations are now taking a keen interest in this romance.
Yes, it was quite weird reading about how she'll thicken the royal blood line. It's like, does she have starch in her blood or something? I think that comment can from Boris Johnson's sister too.
  #233  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,260
Yes, she was one of the so-called journalists at the time who, when their words were thrown back at them, pretended to not know what people were objecting to.
  #234  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
I was just reading an article about something Meghan said when she was talking about The Tig well before she met Harry. She was talking about she hopes the site will highlight some of the issues in society. She said there will be superficial things, like clothes and makeup and such, that will attract an audience, but she hopes that that type of thing will inadvertently also bring attention to the social changes.

If you take The Tig out of it. Isn't this what the royals basically do? They highlight issues, but part of it is also because the glamour attracts attention, and by being there, they bring the attention along with them. It still blows my mind how Harry ended up finding such a perfect woman for him and his role. She was doing this type of stuff even before she met him, not just fall into it because she met him. Life doesn't work out like that for everyone.
  #235  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,124
But when it does look out world.
  #236  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SL, United Kingdom
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I was just reading an article about something Meghan said when she was talking about The Tig well before she met Harry. She was talking about she hopes the site will highlight some of the issues in society. She said there will be superficial things, like clothes and makeup and such, that will attract an audience, but she hopes that that type of thing will inadvertently also bring attention to the social changes.

If you take The Tig out of it. Isn't this what the royals basically do? They highlight issues, but part of it is also because the glamour attracts attention, and by being there, they bring the attention along with them. It still blows my mind how Harry ended up finding such a perfect woman for him and his role. She was doing this type of stuff even before she met him, not just fall into it because she met him. Life doesn't work out like that for everyone.
I agree. Not sure this is the right thread for it or if it has been posted before but the video demonstrates just some of her good deeds. Start from the 9.55 point
  #237  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,196
Please note that posts relating to the height of Ms Markle and members of the royal family have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2034853 thread.
__________________
JACK
  #238  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
The Mirror finally tracked down Meghanís dad

Meghan Markle’s father breaks silence to say he would love to walk his daughter down the aisle at her wedding to Prince Harry - Mirror Online
  #239  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,124
Thank you Rudolph. He didn’t say much but what he said is all I needed to hear!
  #240  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
I just hope he can handle the attention because the British tabloids won’t leave him alone. Some people can and others can’t. Meghan’s mom seems comfortable so far but I don’t much about this guy.

His days of being ‘anonymous’ in Mexico are over though.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, meghan markle, royal family


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events 1: November 2017 - May 2018 soapstar Current Events Archive 832 05-20-2018 06:28 AM
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018 Cocoasneeze Current Events Archive 1431 05-20-2018 06:25 AM
Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018 JessRulz Archives 2048 05-19-2018 03:22 AM




Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism birth britain britannia british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice doll dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf highgrove history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank jewellery książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal jewels prince constantijn prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen maxima queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spain speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan tradition uae customs unfinished portrait united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×