Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[...]

Question: I’ve reading a couple things but what career did Meghan’s father have?

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Meghan's father, Thomas Markle, was a lighting director for a number of television shows in Hollywood, including General Hospital and Married With Children. Meghan used to spend time on the Married With Children set after school. She used to help the craft services staff prepare food, and she's indicated that's where her foodie passion and love for hosting parties comes from. In addition, Meghan's Mom, Doria, has had a variety of careers, including make-up artist, travel agent, yoga instructor, and social worker. Meghan said that she and her Mom used to travel frequently (when Doria was working in the travel industry). That experience gave Meghan the bug for travel adventures. As a result, food, travel, lifestyle and beauty were all important parts of her Tig blog.

Last edited:
Question: I’ve reading a couple things but what career did Meghan’s father have?

He’s a lighting director. He has won at least one Emmy and has done lighting for Oscar Awards.

[...]

That’s interesting about her father. I haven’t seen a lot of information on his life. What did her father do after those shows? How did he end up in Mexico?

[...]

That’s interesting about her father. I haven’t seen a lot of information on his life. What did her father do after those shows? How did he end up in Mexico?

He retired and decided to retire to Mexico. :flowers: He lives over the border down the coast from San Diego. Not far away from the U.S. in an ex-pat community. (If I recall aright, don't want to be spreading inaccuracies).

He retired. I think he was working until recent years on General Hospital. He won an Emmy for it in 2011. Mexico border is quite close to Southern California and living expenses down there are cheaper I believe. He lives in a small house over a cliff that overlooks the ocean. It saddens me that I know this thanks to the recent stalking of him, but nevertheless, we do know.

Its kind of cool when we think about it. No one can look at Meghan's past and say she has a lack of work ethic. I think this will carry over into her public life as a senior working royal too. She seems to be able to adjust to just about anything that life throws at her and with doing royal engagements, she'll not only feel comfortable doing them but actually enjoy them as much as Harry seems to. This couple is going to be amazing out and among the people IMO.

How do you know that she has great customer service skills? I've met lots of fastfood works who lacked those skills. Having had a job doesn't necessarily mean someone was good at it (especially side jobs for teenagers; they are mainly doing it to earn some money).

I don't see a reason to think that Meghan was a sloppy worker nor that she was 'great' and 'such a hard worker' when she just did what millions of teenagers do. It might be uncommon in her new environment but nothing special outside.

How do you know that she has great customer service skills? I've met lots of fastfood works who lacked those skills. Having had a job doesn't necessarily mean someone was good at it (especially side jobs for teenagers; they are mainly doing it to earn some money).

I don't see a reason to think that Meghan was a sloppy worker nor that she was 'great' and 'such a hard worker' when she just did what millions of teenagers do. It might be uncommon in her new environment but nothing special outside.

In this particular interview the Manager commented as such. Also Meghan’s previous elementary school teachers & college professors have spoken about her interpersonal skills.

I’ve also watched how she relates to others in numerous interviews. It’s something that Meghan’s fans prior to her relationship with Harry appreciate.

Usually in the teen years, a person will get a fast food job or a somewhat menial job to, as you state, earn their own money. Its a learning experience in becoming independent and of course, in the teen years, there are distractions that exists such as homework, love lives and frankly, just being a teenager.

Meghan's teen jobs, to me, show that she wasn't handed everything on a silver platter and breezed through her teen years without a care in the world. We also know that she did have a lifestyle that many teens did not have such as traveling. We've seen pictures of Meghan as a teen sitting outside Buckingham Palace (ironic isn't it?!?). The jobs she had shows that she was pretty much a well balanced teenager as far as teenagers can be well balanced.

Tom and Doria raised a pretty good kid I think. :D

In this particular interview the Manager commented as such. Also Meghan’s previous elementary school teachers & college professors have spoken about her interpersonal skills.

I’ve also watched how she relates to others in numerous interviews. It’s something that Meghan’s fans prior to her relationship with Harry appreciate.

Thanks! I missed the interview itself, just read about the job. Fits in with the other things we know about her.

I fully agree with Osipi that Meghan clearly was privileged in certain ways but all in all had a balanced upbringing.

Usually in the teen years, a person will get a fast food job or a somewhat menial job to, as you state, earn their own money. Its a learning experience in becoming independent and of course, in the teen years, there are distractions that exists such as homework, love lives and frankly, just being a teenager.

Meghan's teen jobs, to me, show that she wasn't handed everything on a silver platter and breezed through her teen years without a care in the world. We also know that she did have a lifestyle that many teens did not have such as traveling. We've seen pictures of Meghan as a teen sitting outside Buckingham Palace (ironic isn't it?!?). The jobs she had shows that she was pretty much a well balanced teenager as far as teenagers can be well balanced.

I agree. She has always been focused since she was very young and it seems her parents made sure to remind her that despite the fact she was privileged in a lot of ways that she easily could not be. Both her folks grew up with not a lot. Meghan father came into money and spent it most of it on her education which was a major blessing. I also suspect the fact Meghan was kind of surrounded by rich kids growing up when she wasn't really as rich as them which is also an interesting experience. I was the same. The scholarship kid at an elite private school. It can definitely shape you in ways you don't realize until older. Meghan knows both worlds and I think that will help her and the BRF in the long term.

I agree. She has always been focused since she was very young and it seems her parents made sure to remind her that despite the fact she was privileged in a lot of ways that she easily could not be. Both her folks grew up with not a lot. Meghan father came into money and spent it most of it on her education which was a major blessing. I also suspect the fact Meghan was kind of surrounded by rich kids growing up when she wasn't really as rich as them which is also an interesting experience. I was the same. The scholarship kid at an elite private school. It can definitely shape you in ways you don't realize until older. Meghan knows both worlds and I think that will help her and the BRF in the long term.

She most certainly was surrounded by kids making a whole lot of money just by going to "dad's work". The actor and actresses that played the Bundy kids in "Married With Children" didn't work for a pittance. Nor did any of the cast of characters.

That's the beauty of how Meghan was raised. She has the inside scope of experience with people from all walks of life and of all shapes and sizes and all different status in the world. Yet she seems to take each person for who they are and not because of what they are or who they know. Kind of reminds me of Harry in that respect. No matter they mesh so well eh?

This girl is a worker! Meghan worked after school and at weekends at a fast food and frozen yoghurt store in her mid teens. Apart from staff at KP few would have that kind of work experience.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...ly-Yasmine-Bleeth-Baywatch-engagement-wedding

It’s not just KP staff, many of the other spouses have done some type of retail/restaurant work in their high school, or college years. Autumn put herself through school by working as a waitress. I believe Kate waitressed during one of her summers, Mike Tindall sold fish and chips while in high school, Sophie worked as a waitress during her teen years. Even Diana and Sarah had a jobs. Diana worked at a daycare and Sarah says she worked at restaurant when she was 18.

Last edited:
Traveling is not uncommon, even for people from more modest backgrounds. I am the same age as Meghan, and when I was in high school, there was always school trips during spring break that you could take. They were affordable compared to most travel (student discounts). I never did, but I know my cousin did. She raised the money doing her after school jobs. My sister who is a teacher has actually gone as the teacher chaperone on a few.

Reading this article and previous you really get a sense she had a balanced life. Though she was raised with money, and on sets of tv shows with dad, there was more to life. She talked about volunteering in soup kitchens and such as well. Its great her parents gave her a sense of work ethic and the value of money even when they had their own.

Working minimum wage in high school is a bit of a right of passage. While many teens do it, many teens would not have a glowing review for doing it. Their other 'obligations' and I don't mean school and studying (dating, clubs, activities) often take priority in their minds. Nice to see she is remembered fondly.

It seems from an early age she was good with working with others. And with connecting with the public. Both in high school and college. This speaks well to her future in the royal family.

But indeed soapstar, she isn't the only member of the family who has worked less then white collar jobs to support themselves. Maybe not minimum wage fast food for some, but certainly not glamorous or 'royal' careers.

-Autumn was a bar tender and a promotional model to pay for college, and she did some bit acting as well
-Mike only made 10,000 a year when he first started playing professional, and to cover the bills he worked in a food truck selling fish and chips
-Sophie trained as a secretary before she got into public relations and waitressing
-Gary Lewis is a construction worker
-Camilla worked as a secretary in her day, and receptionist

The extended royal family of course lives very private lives, and have careers. The heirs of Kent and Gloucester are married to a doctor and to a college professor. There is quite a broad range of people for her to meet at Christmas parties, and I am sure she will find some to hit it off with. I am sure she will get along with the family, but even in the closest families, there are those you hit it off with better then some, those you gravitate to talking to.

The Earl of St Andrews is a former diplomat. Sophie Winkleman is an actress like Meghan. I am sure she will find things in common with others.

The constant strand we have seen from Meghan is that she is a worker and someone who has big goals in mind. I think if that attitude carries over into royal work, that would be a huge asset for the RF. As I have said before, I do not find the younger royals to have the same work ethic as their elders. I think Harry comes close just because of the creative force of his projects and how big they are, but even he could do more.

And I came from a poorer/working class family and I traveled in HS just because I worked several jobs and saved. I imagine the same is true for Meghan. Her parents seemed to be the find to help her by providing opportunities (i.e. paying for schooling), but it seems they otherwise largely expected her to make her own way and work for her goals.

What parent wouldn’t be proud...even at a very early age she understood one person can make a difference (referring when she wrote company to change ad). She seems to have an incredible zest for living and giving back. It is ironic Osipi when you see that pic. Together, this couple is going to be a wonder to watch!

Traveling is not uncommon, even for people from more modest backgrounds. I am the same age as Meghan, and when I was in high school, there was always school trips during spring break that you could take. They were affordable compared to most travel (student discounts). I never did, but I know my cousin did. She raised the money doing her after school jobs. My sister who is a teacher has actually gone as the teacher chaperone on a few.

Reading this article and previous you really get a sense she had a balanced life. Though she was raised with money, and on sets of tv shows with dad, there was more to life. She talked about volunteering in soup kitchens and such as well. Its great her parents gave her a sense of work ethic and the value of money even when they had their own.

Working minimum wage in high school is a bit of a right of passage. While many teens do it, many teens would not have a glowing review for doing it. Their other 'obligations' and I don't mean school and studying (dating, clubs, activities) often take priority in their minds. Nice to see she is remembered fondly.

It seems from an early age she was good with working with others. And with connecting with the public. Both in high school and college. This speaks well to her future in the royal family.

But indeed soapstar, she isn't the only member of the family who has worked less then white collar jobs to support themselves. Maybe not minimum wage fast food for some, but certainly not glamorous or 'royal' careers.

-Autumn was a bar tender and a promotional model to pay for college, and she did some bit acting as well
-Mike only made 10,000 a year when he first started playing professional, and to cover the bills he worked in a food truck selling fish and chips
-Sophie trained as a secretary before she got into public relations and waitressing
-Gary Lewis is a construction worker
-Camilla worked as a secretary in her day, and receptionist

The extended royal family of course lives very private lives, and have careers. The heirs of Kent and Gloucester are married to a doctor and to a college professor. There is quite a broad range of people for her to meet at Christmas parties, and I am sure she will find some to hit it off with. I am sure she will get along with the family, but even in the closest families, there are those you hit it off with better then some, those you gravitate to talking to.

The Earl of St Andrews is a former diplomat. Sophie Winkleman is an actress like Meghan. I am sure she will find things in common with others.

Good post. And I didn't know that Camilla worked as a receptionist.

All what I've seen posted about here cements 2 things about her, to me.

She's always worked to support herself. Even from young age she's earned her own pocket money. She's also very good at jobs, that require interacting with people.

And she's always looked for ways to help others, and to make an impact, be it from stepping up to bullies, or organising other girls to get prom dresses, or giving her own hand warmers to someone with cold hands.

These are big part of her personality, and will serve her well in her role in the RF.

This might have been asked before so sorry for the repeat... is Meghan's legal name Rachel or did she never change it legally? I ask bc I would have assumed they would have mentioned her full name in the engagement announcement if it were the case. Harry's real name Henry was mentioned. Maybe that would have been way too many official and unofficial names in one announcement LOL

This might have been asked before so sorry for the repeat... is Meghan's legal name Rachel or did she never change it legally? I ask bc I would have assumed they would have mentioned her full name in the engagement announcement if it were the case. Harry's real name Henry was mentioned. Maybe that would have been way too many official and unofficial names in one announcement LOL

My understanding is her full legal name is Rachel Meghan Markle. However she has always gone by Meghan and that is how she registered as an actress, Meghan Markle. So I don't think anything was ever changed. I could be wrong though. I think it's a little different with Henry/Harry, as Harry is a nickname. Meghan is her actual name, but it's just her middle name. It seems to be they've decided to continue using her professional name from here on out.

My understanding is her full legal name is Rachel Meghan Markle. However she has always gone by Meghan and that is how she registered as an actress, Meghan Markle. So I don't think anything was ever changed. I could be wrong though. I think it's a little different with Henry/Harry, as Harry is a nickname. Meghan is her actual name, but it's just her middle name. It seems to be they've decided to continue using her professional name from here on out.

You are absolutely correct. Except Meghan isn’t just a professional name. It’s what she’s always known by. She has never gone by her given first name of Rachel except on official documents.

And even in those (official) cases she went by 'Rachel Meghan Markle'. I don't think she ever presented herself as 'Rachel Markle'.

As stressed before, in some cultures it is rather common to use your second name in daily life. Many of my Peruvian friends go by their middle name (many times officials will even use your middle name when calling you) and only for some of them I know their formal first name.

In the Dutch royal family both daughters of the late prince Friso and princess Mabel go by their second name. I hope nobody is arguing that they should be called Emma and Joanna instead of Luana and Zaria (which is what their parents decided).

"Meghan Markle" is more alliterative and memorable than "Rachel Markle."

My son decided in fourth grade that he would start using his middle name as his first name. The name my ex and I originally included only to appease my mother, suddenly became his principal name. This is pretty common in the US, particularly in the South.

And even in those (official) cases she went by 'Rachel Meghan Markle'. I don't think she ever presented herself as 'Rachel Markle'.

As stressed before, in some cultures it is rather common to use your second name in daily life. Many of my Peruvian friends go by their middle name (many times officials will even use your middle name when calling you) and only for some of them I know their formal first name.

In the Dutch royal family both daughters of the late prince Friso and princess Mabel go by their second name. I hope nobody is arguing that they should be called Emma and Joanna instead of Luana and Zaria (which is what their parents decided).

Even in cultures where it’s not common, it still happens on occasion. Look at the BRF itself; Queen Victoria, Albert Victor, Queen Mary, Edward VIII, and Mary, Princess Royal all went by names other than their first name.

Meghan has been going by her middle name her entire life. I don't see that changing. On the wedding day we will hear "Rachel Meghan" but that will be it. KP announced her as Meghan so that is how she will be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom