Meghan Markle: Coat of Arms Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty! Only thing about the coat of arms...I'm worried about the bird. It appears to be strangled by the crown!

Perhaps a different way to look at it is to see the crown being worn as a choker as many royal ladies do rock those pearl chokers. Especially Camilla. :D

Another way is to see the crown encircling the throat through which, as a royal and member of the Firm, she will use her voice for the greater good of Crown and Country.

Have been waiting for this and hoping it wouldn't be too much longer. I do like this very much, the blue for California, its poppies, the songbird signifying communication, all very appropriate and lovely.

I have to say I'm a wee bit disappointed that there's nothing of Canada there, as it did play an important role in Meghan's life, but you can't have everything, and the whole design is very attractive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps a symbol of Canada was left out because actually, although Meghan lived there and worked there for years, she never actually was a Canadian. The coat of arms reflects her immediate roots and her personal talent.

I'm so happy that we are seeing this so quickly. It's very graceful and appropriate to both her background and her intention, going forward, to be a positive force in the world. And the combination of the poppies and the wintersweet is very sweet and a bit sentimental, something you don't usually think of with a coat of arms.

Well done!

Yes, lovely Coat of Arms for The Duchess of Sussex!

This is beautiful! Love the symbolism behind it and how it shows who Meghan is.

Not disappointed at all that there are no Canadian symbols - she has done much to emphasis her connection to the Commonwealth elsewhere, and I don’t think it’s necessary for her to do so everywhere.

Pretty! Only thing about the coat of arms...I'm worried about the bird. It appears to be strangled by the crown!

Um, have you seen Kate's, Camilla's, and Diana's?

I love that the songbird was chosen and the meaning. The duchess has great communication skills and the Queen recognizes that.

Uhm. Hello! I'm really curious about Meghan's coat of arms that it's impaled with Harry's coat of arms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a wife's coat of arms is impaled if the arms is not hers personally rather it is her paternal coat of arms. If it is her personal coat of arms, it is shown as an inescutcheon. However, her father was not granted a coat of arms. Perhaps, the grant for her father's coat of arms is still pending? Or perhaps, she is not yet a British citizen?

Uhm. Hello! I'm really curious about Meghan's coat of arms that it's impaled with Harry's coat of arms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a wife's coat of arms is impaled if the arms is not hers personally rather it is her paternal coat of arms. If it is her personal coat of arms, it is shown as an inescutcheon. However, her father was not granted a coat of arms. Perhaps, the grant for her father's coat of arms is still pending? Or perhaps, she is not yet a British citizen?

Her father wouldn't be getting a coat of arms. The announcement made it very clear this is granted to the Duchess of Sussex.

Does the crown around the neck indicate they are marrying into the family, not being a blood princess/royal?

I notice Kate's is the same etc.

LaRae

Take a look at the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester's Coats of Arms. The Duchess was granted her own for various reasons.

I'm loving the Duchess's new Coat of Arms. I love the references to nature, stretching from the ocean and poppies of CA all the way to the wintersweet of NottCott. I also like the allusions to her love of a hand-written letter and her calligraphy background (the quills), as well as another confirmation that she plans to use her voice (songbird) in her new role as a royal.

The whole thing is very well thought out and looks lovely impaled with Harry's CoA. I can't wait to see the hi-res digital version of it.

Her father wouldn't be getting a coat of arms. The announcement made it very clear this is granted to the Duchess of Sussex.

Take a look at the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester's Coats of Arms. The Duchess was granted her own for various reasons.

Still curious though. Since the Grant of Arms was awarded to the Duchess of Gloucester herself, she can use it as an inescutcheon on top of her husband's coat of arms. But Meghan's was not granted to her father or any family members but her yet it is impaled.

As s non-British citizen, can the Duchess of Sussex be given a coat of arms ? Will the announced design become official only when she becomes a citizen ?

I love that it emphasizes the idea of communication. A very nice design.

Tom Markle is not getting his own arms - he’s not a British citizen. The only reason why Meghan is getting one is because she married a British Royal. Had circumstances been different, her father would have gotten the arms, so it looks as if the arms she’s been granted are essentially acting as if her father got them, even though he has not.

Meghan is not at this time a British citizen.

So maybe it's because they (Harry/William) are male? All females use the crown/neck symbol?

LaRae

Certain animals get the Crown around their neck instead of on their head - birds, unicorns, etc. The unicorn supporting Harry’s arms also has the crown around its neck.

I suspect it’s an aesthetic thing - if it looks good on the head it goes on the head, but if it doesn’t look as good there it goes around the neck.

Still curious though. Since the Grant of Arms was awarded to the Duchess of Gloucester herself, she can use it as an inescutcheon on top of her husband's coat of arms. But Meghan's was not granted to her father or any family members but her yet it is impaled.

I don’t get it either. Some people on Twitter picked up on it and are asking reporters.

A reporter is trying to get the answer to that.

Tom Markle is not getting his own arms - he’s not a British citizen. The only reason why Meghan is getting one is because she married a British Royal. Had circumstances been different, her father would have gotten the arms, so it looks as if the arms she’s been granted are essentially acting as if her father got them, even though he has not.

So it does pertain to her citizenship. Thanks!?

A reporter is trying to get the answer to that.

When I saw the coat of arms, the first thing I thought is why it is impaled. Then I looked whether her father was granted one, but he was not. I thought I was the only one who noticed it since I couldn't find any article explaining it.

Does anyone remember if Duchess of Gloucester was granted her own first, and then combined with her husband's? Or is it the same way, and it was just the married one?

I like this very much. I like the use of the quill as Meghan is a proud calligrapher and laments the loss of pen and paper communication. I read that in her blog or another publication. I cannot remember which, but I liked the message. A true loss in our digitalized world.

When I saw the coat of arms, the first thing I thought is why it is impaled. Then I looked whether her father was granted one, but he was not. I thought I was the only one who noticed it since I couldn't find any article explaining it.

You’re exactly right. If her father wasn’t granted a personal coat of arms there’s nothing to impale. Kate’s family coat of arms was impaled with William’s royal arms.

Last edited:
Well, presumably the College of Arms knows what it's doing. They are the ones who designed the Coat of Arms and released it.

For what it is worth

In English, Scottish and Northern Irish heraldry, a woman may bear arms by inheritance from her father[5] or by grant to herself. When unmarried, she displays her arms on a lozenge (a diamond shape) or on an oval or oval-like shape. Traditionally, a woman does not display her arms on a shield, as the shield originated with knights and warfare, and is thus viewed as fitting for a man, but not a woman.

When married, a woman has the option of uniting her arms with those of her husband in what are called marital arms; their arms are impaled, meaning they are placed side by side in the same shield, with those of the man on the dexter (left, as seen from the front) and those of his wife on the sinister (right, as seen from the front).[6] If one spouse belongs to the higher ranks of an order of chivalry, and is thereby entitled to surround his or her arms with a circlet of the order, it is usual to depict them on two separate shields tilted towards one another, this is termed "accollé

Source wikpedia

Certain animals get the Crown around their neck instead of on their head - birds, unicorns, etc. The unicorn supporting Harry’s arms also has the crown around its neck.

I suspect it’s an aesthetic thing - if it looks good on the head it goes on the head, but if it doesn’t look as good there it goes around the neck.

I've been looking...yet to find a female CoA with a coronet on the head. I would think at least some of them would have the 'right' animal to warrant a coronet on the head.

LaRae

Well, presumably the College of Arms knows what it's doing. They are the ones who designed the Coat of Arms and released it.

I am going to go along with this.

Thank you very much Alvinking. Useful info.

Harry doesn't have the Order of the Garter or Thistle etc yet, (Order of Chivalry) and so that's presumably why Meghan's C of A is impaled in the way shown above.

The Duchess of Gloucester may have received hers before marriage, but (as Osipi put it in an earlier post,) the Palace was alive to the Markle family circling around like vultures and so left the issue of the C of A for Meghan until AFTER her marriage.

Last edited:
or by grant to herself. When unmarried, she displays her arms on a lozenge (a diamond shape) or on an oval or oval-like shape. Traditionally, a woman does not display her arms on a shield, as the shield originated with knights and warfare, and is thus viewed as fitting for a man, but not a woman./QUOTE]

I'm going to take a feminist stance that this should be obsolete because women now do take up arms in warfare. Perhaps that is why we see a difference and Meghan's shield is joined side by side, equally with Harry's.

I have to say that I am pleased with it all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom