Meghan Markle: Coat of Arms Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's more likely to be the Rose and/or Poppy.

LaRae

Peonies are right for the wedding. Or for a gift for his bride. But they aren't really suited for the coat of arms. The symbolism is more of a wedding. The coat of arms is permanent.

I think we will likely see very similar to what we have seen on this. The poppies and roses are a wonderful mix of where she comes from.

The instrument of consent has been released.

"The Instrument of Consent, signed by the Queen to approve #harryandmeghan's union. Handwritten and illuminated on vellum, it shows a red dragon, rose, thistle and shamrock for the UK, plus a rose for the US and golden poppies for California"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dc_wCvNX4AAONsL.jpg:large

https://www.royal.uk/instrument-consent

The Instrument of Consent is drafted by the Crown Office and is, in the case of Prince Harry's marriage, hand-written and illuminated on vellum by one of a panel of scrivener artists retained by the Crown Office. Vellum is used only for important State documents.

The design to the left of the text incorporates a red dragon, the heraldic symbol of Wales, together with the UK's floral emblems – the rose, thistle and shamrock. It also features Prince Harry’s Label, including three tiny red escallops from the Spencer family Arms.

The design to the right of the text also includes the rose, as this is also the national flower of the United States. To either side of the rose are two golden poppies – this being the state flower of California, where Ms. Markle was born. Between the flowers is the Welsh leek, together with Prince Harry’s Label. Beneath the Label are olive branches, adopted from the Great Seal of the United States.

To the left, underneath the two main designs, is the coronet for Prince Harry. On the lower right side of the document is the Commonwealth symbol.

Why was a Commonwealth flag included on Meghan's side of the document, given that the United States is not a Commonwealth member? Was it due to her years living in Canada?

https://www.royal.uk/instrument-consent

Why was a Commonwealth flag included on Meghan's side of the document, given that the United States is not a Commonwealth member? Was it due to her years living in Canada?

That would be my guess. I think while Meghan being American is an important part of her background. Canada is also extremely important to her as her adopted home for the last seven years. I remember reading from the royal correspondents' twitter that she stood up clapping when Team Canada was announced at the IG opening ceremony. And of course, she's always spoken about Canada and her time there with great affection.

I think the positioning of the flag was just to balance it out. Harry's coronet was on the left, so they put the flag on the right.

I think it is a mix of both of them. It represents Meghan working in Canada. But also Harry's new position as a commonwealth youth ambassador. I have a feeling Meghan will likely be involved as well. I think in the position we will likely see them both do quite a bit of travel in years to come.

And what about a Ragland family coat of arms?

As there is no Mr. Ragland that is able to prove ancestry as a British subject/citizen, its an impossibility. Familial coat of arms are passed down through the male holder of the coat of arms. ;)

As there is no Mr. Ragland that is able to prove ancestry as a British subject/citizen, its an impossibility. Familial coat of arms are passed down through the male holder of the coat of arms. ;)

If there a Markle coat of arms, it should say something like "Nemo Me Impune Laccesit."

Those know literature will know that one.

LOL.

Motto of Scotland...nice touch there.

LaRae

Did NOT knows that!!!!! Explains a lot!!!!!!! Just looked it up and you're right!!!!

I assume you know I was referencing Poe and "The Cask of Amontillado."

I'm an English major and could not help it----sorry. Also, ironically, it fits right in the events of this past year or so, don't you think? LOL. ?

Since Poe's adoptive father was of Scottish descent and Poe had a turbulent relationship with the man, it makes sense about the motto. :sad:

Montresor is said by some critics to be a portrait of Poe's adoptive father, anyway. Thanks for letting me learn something new. :flowers::flowers:

I am not a huge Poe fan (I have a DIL that is though) it's been a long long time since I've read any of his work.

All I can remember from Poe is The Telltale Heart! That's been a few years!!

Perhaps Meghan should adopt this one.

I also like the motto for Clan Fraser (Je Suis Prest) and Clan MacKenzie (Lucero Non Uro).

LaRae

I am not a huge Poe fan (I have a DIL that is though) it's been a long long time since I've read any of his work.

All I can remember from Poe is The Telltale Heart! That's been a few years!!

Perhaps Meghan should adopt this one.

I also like the motto for Clan Fraser (Je Suis Prest) and Clan MacKenzie (Lucero Non Uro).

LaRae

Good choices, LaRae. :flowers::flowers:

Motto: Luceo Non Uro (I shine, not burn)

I really like that.

And Clan Mackenzie is associated with lands in Ross-shire in the Scottish Highlands....hmmm it's making a lot of sense to me :lol:

Can't wait till Saturday!

LaRae

Daily Fail is ridiculous with that header. Snub? After everything the Markels have pulled in the last 7 months? Nah. Meghan will get one with Harry and that'll fine.

I don't think any of us here really ever expected Tom Sr. to be graced with a Coat of Arms.

In fact, I would begin to think that the Queen was a tad bit off her rocker had she granted him one. :D

Has Meghan's CoA been announced?

It will probably not be seen until Harry and Meghan's conjoined coat of arms is released. If I'm not mistaken, it was quite a while after W&K's wedding when their conjoined coat of arms went public.

It will probably not be seen until Harry and Meghan's conjoined coat of arms is released. If I'm not mistaken, it was quite a while after W&K's wedding when their conjoined coat of arms went public.

Thank you, Osipi! :flowers:

And I think it wasn't until November 2012 that an official image of Catherine's individual arms as William's wife was released. There wasn't as much mystery since almost all of it was already known (the arms of her father and husband were already known), but one of the supporters was a surprise.

And I think it wasn't until November 2012 that an official image of Catherine's individual arms as William's wife was released. There wasn't as much mystery since almost all of it was already known (the arms of her father and husband were already known), but one of the supporters was a surprise.

Her individual arm as the daughter of Michael Middelton was known since it was on the back of the official wedding programme
http://www.toledoblade.com/image/2011/04/22/Royal-Wedding-Program.JPG

Hopefully Meghan will get a new Coat of Arms of her own and it will be unveiled in the next few weeks.

Has Meghan's CoA been announced?

I am not sure what the delay is in the announcement of the Duchess of Sussex's new coat of arms. The Middleton Arms (granted to Michael Middleton for the benefit of the Duchess of Cambridge) were announced in advance of the wedding in April 2011. See this link.

https://www.royal.uk/new-coat-arms-miss-middleton-and-her-family

And the Cambridge conjoined arms were announced in September 2013, view this link.

https://www.royal.uk/new-conjugal-coat-arms-duke-and-duchess-cambridge

I am hopeful that the College of Arms is currently working on a design for the Duchess. Perhaps it will be another gift from HM QEII in the coming days or weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom