Meghan Markle: Coat of Arms Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the meet and greet of the families, do you think Meghan's coat of arms will be revealed? I don't think the Markles will get a C of A because I think Tom Sr is going to turn it down. Only Meghan will get one.

Sam is trying to bigfoot into the Windsor homeless situation?

One of the Royal reporters said that at the briefing they were told that next weeks info dump will include the stuff about the coa

If it's made official that Meghan gets a C of A and the Markles don't Sam will wig out.

As for the uncles that complained about no invites, including the diplomat, I don't feel sorry for they made it public and try to get their brother Tom Sr to demand answers from the queen. They were so certain that Sr would tell them if he got an invitation and Sr told them he didn't know about their invites. I believe Sr knew all along what was the state of play for the wedding and just didn't share.

Maybe the Queen can Charm Mr Markle into accepting a Coat of Arms. I think he will enjoy and soak up the whole week of activities. The Queen is adept at making people feel comfortable. That is important to her.

I thought about this on the coat of arms: the Markle family C of A is afforded to every Markle right? Sr's grandsons the Dooley's, the owners of a weed farm, could make the C of A as part of their business logo. Their business may be legal in Oregon, but the embarrassment factor is just too high (no pun intended) and the media would feast on it for days. It would cheapen the honor.

I thought about this on the coat of arms: the Markle family C of A is afforded to every Markle right? Sr's grandsons the Dooley's, the owners of a weed farm, could make the C of A as part of their business logo. Their business may be legal in Oregon, but the embarrassment factor is just too high (no pun intended) and the media would feast on it for days. It would cheapen the honor.

A bona fide, issued by the College of Arms coat of arms is essentially a British thing. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for all and sundry on the American side of Meghan's family to have and use and display a coat of arms.

To be honest, if any of the Markles really wanted one, there are plenty of places around that do heraldry independently. I found a coat of arms and family surname history for my brother and it is framed above his fireplace today.

I just don't see any reason why Thomas Sr. would even think of applying to the College of Arms at all. Its just not something I would associate with him or his lifestyle. Now, his other children is a different ball of wax and as you pointed out Madame Verseau, the misuse of it would be to stroke their own egos.

No word on the coat of arms. Are they waiting for Sr to show up to make the formal presentation?

waiting for Sr to show up to make the formal presentation?

Why would they ? He won't be getting one...

No word on the coat of arms. Are they waiting for Sr to show up to make the formal presentation?

We will learn of it after the wedding. Apparently this was discussed in the meeting last week. Emily Nash said on the On Heir podcast that they were informed the Coat of Arms info will come soon after they are wed. It made them suspect it just will be a joint one for them and not involving her father at all.

Maybe the Queen can Charm Mr Markle into accepting a Coat of Arms. I think he will enjoy and soak up the whole week of activities. The Queen is adept at making people feel comfortable. That is important to her.

Why would she want to do that? Just for his children and grandchildren to misuse a royal-related CoA when they themselves were purposefully not invited to the wedding?

We will learn of it after the wedding. Apparently this was discussed in the meeting last week. Emily Nash said on the On Heir podcast that they were informed the Coat of Arms info will come soon after they are wed. It made them suspect it just will be a joint one for them and not involving her father at all.

That's an interesting bit of information. If it only comes after the wedding it might indeed mean that she won't get her own one. Or will she be only eligible for one after marriage if not through her father? What would that mean for the joined one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read in the Wikipedia article you can get a C of A upon marriage. It could be revealed the same time the title is revealed - on the day of the wedding. I wouldn't be surprised if a family C of A is not awarded because certain Markles love to wild out in front of the media.

I think the simple explanation of why there is no Markle family coat of arms is the simple reason that Thomas Markle, Sr. didn't apply for one.

Kate's family coat of arms was revealed before the wedding as it was her father that received the family coat of arms and along with that, Kate, as a daughter, was entitled to use it. It was then incorporated into William and Kate's conjoined coat of arms.

Meghan, however, does not have a family coat of arms that was for her sole use as a single woman. Her coat of arms will first appear as part of the conjoined coat of arms for both Harry and Meghan.

I read in the Wikipedia article you can get a C of A upon marriage. It could be revealed the same time the title is revealed - on the day of the wedding. I wouldn't be surprised if a family C of A is not awarded because certain Markles love to wild out in front of the media.

Nail/head. I fear you are right :sad:

Unlike the Duchess of Gloucester’s dad, Markle Sr’s ancestry can and has been traced back and his ancestors were subjects of the Crown. Meaning he is eligible to have a CoA. Now, whether or not he falls short of meeting the full criteria due to conduct of behaviour from the Markles remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Duchess of Gloucester's arms show what her father's arms were? Wikipedia is a bit unclear on that one.

I'm thinking what's happened with Meghan is that her father isn't eligible to get his own arms (not being a British citizen - according to the College of Arms' website, only honourary arms can be granted to Americans), nor technically is Meghan (again, American citizen), but post-wedding might be a different attitude. She'll get her own arms, instead of her father getting one that she uses.

The Duchess of Gloucester, as a non-British citizen to marry into the BRF without her own coat of arms already, is a logical precedent for Meghan.

Last edited:
That's an interesting bit of information. If it only comes after the wedding it might indeed mean that she won't get her own one. Or will she be only eligible for one after marriage if not through her father? What would that mean for the joined one?

Not sure. They spoke of it and they both (Emily Nash and Emily Andrews) were under the impression that it would just be issued to Meghan and then there would be a joint one (?). I assume? Whatever the case, the fact it coming after the wedding, as instructed, gave them that idea.

Not sure. They spoke of it and they both (Emily Nash and Emily Andrews) were under the impression that it would just be issued to Meghan and then there would be a joint one (?). I assume? Whatever the case, the fact it coming after the wedding, as instructed, gave them that idea.

I believe W&K’s joined one wasn’t released until a long while after their wedding. Does this mean we would get to see it earlier given the special circumstances?

Very pretty! Amazing how they do this.

LaRae

Beautiful. So now I have a feeling that the U.S. olive branches and the California poppies will be a part of Meghan's Coat of Arms.

This is the coat of arms of the duchess. Her coat of arms is in the center because it is not a family coat it is just hers alone. I just researched this. Ha

https://aroyalheraldry.weebly.com/uk-royal-heraldy.html#PhotoSwipe1526102194568

I guess you will have to scroll through the others to get to hers. Sorry

Edit: you can compare her's to the Duchess of Kent to see the difference.

Thanks! That makes sense, so most likely not two halves with Harry's to the left and hers to the right but Harry's in the background and an escutchon representing her own background (still curious what that part will look like).

Beautiful. So now I have a feeling that the U.S. olive branches and the California poppies will be a part of Meghan's Coat of Arms.

Very likely indeed! And probably the US roses that are mentioned/included.

Last edited:
I also like the Commonwealth Flag on the side. Another emphasis on how much that will be their new role.

I'm so happy to see this. I think it's beautiful. And agree, I believe California poppies will also be on Meghan's Coat of Arms. Love the US rose and Commonwealth flag as well.

Meghan can be given her own COA that she moves forward with;it does not need to represent her "wild" family.

Although, the BRF and many other families with COA have lots of "wild" behavior in their history. I've always thought scope of influence a far larger determinate in the awarding of COA, tartans and other trappings of nobility. JMO.

Is the application for coat of arms for an American only if descent is from the paternal line? My English ancestry is on my mother's side. Her direct ancester was a puritan who arrived in 1630. There even is an ancient one that could be redone like Sophie's family did. My father's paternal line goes back to Moravia.

I am guessing that Mr. Markle's direct line goes to Denmark.

Is the application for coat of arms for an American only if descent is from the paternal line. My English ancestry is on my mother's side. Her direct ancester was a puritan who arrived in 1630. There even is an ancient one that could be redone like Sophie's family did. My father's paternal line goes back to Moravia.

I am guessing that Mr. Markle's direct line goes to Denmark.

I wouldn't think so. I believe as long as the individuals can prove "descent" no matter paternal or maternal.

The Instrument of Consent is so artist and beautiful!
I love the inclusion of poppies and olive leaves.
Are they always delivered in a briefcase?
I'd love to see an exhibition of all the Instuments of Consent ever issued.
Does anyone know if there is a register of public display somewhere?

It's my guess that any Coat of Arms for Meghan will feature roses, poppies and possibly a camera and an olive branch.

Last edited:
I'm so happy to see this. I think it's beautiful. And agree, I believe California poppies will also be on Meghan's Coat of Arms. Love the US rose and Commonwealth flag as well.

Too bad there's no grizzly, though!

I love the design on the Instrument of Consent. The rose, the poppies and the olive branches represent her American heritage. This may be part of her crest. I noticed the upside down coronet around the flowers. Does it represent she will be the wife of a British prince? The scallops in the coronet shows the tie to the Spencers by marriage.

For the conjugal CoA the supporter for Meghan could be a grizzly bear for California or the bald eagle for the US.

I'm still hoping peony also makes an appearance on her crest as it symbolizes romance, prosperity, good fortune, and a happy marriage among other things. And they are her favorite flowers and will be featured in the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom