Meghan Markle: Coat of Arms Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to grab an old book in heraldry I had, but I think for supporters the assumptions is they're holding the shield so you wouldn't describe that.

As for the songbird being gorged (crown around the neck), a lot of other dukes have their supporters drawn the same way. I think it has to do with the animal.

Reactions: hel
I like Meghan's coat of arms and monogram (which is particularly simple and stylish). I'm pleased that the Californian poppies were included as it would have been surprising if a tribute to America hadn't been included.

Hi All,

I think Meghan's CoA design is so lovely and well thought out. I agree re the significance of the quills (M's love of calligraphy, handwritten notes, and her career as a communicator -- which encompasses her training in International Relations, her diplomacy-related U.S. Embassy internship, her Tig lifestyle website, and her acting career). The white songbird supporter with outspread wings looks quite perfect conjoined with the British royal lion supporter.

I agree with those who have already commented about too much being queried and read into Meghan's CoA design and reveal. ?

As Thomas Woodcock, Garter King of Arms has said: "The Duchess of Sussex took a great interest in the design. Good heraldic design is nearly always simple and the Arms of The Duchess of Sussex stand well beside the historic beauty of the quartered British Royal Arms."

Simplicity is key, @wyevale. It surely would have been too much and quite unnecessary to try and include too many symbolic features, such as the County of Sussex-related martlets you referenced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martlet

Meghan's CoA design is simple, straightforward and wonderfully representative. Some have have commented about the crown seeming to 'choke or strangle' the songbird. I like Osipi's way of looking at it. In any case, we should remember that one of the charitable initiatives of the Royal Foundation is Heads Together! No choking or sundering is involved. ;) Plus, upon closer inspection, it seems to me that the crown is not fitted in a tight fashion that resembles choking. It's simply lovingly adorning the neck of the fair and lively songbird, whose voice will indeed be heard methinks. :D

A couple of humorous asides: The stuck-out tongue of the heraldic lion reminds me of young Harry inside the car naughtily sticking his tongue out at the ubiquitous press cameras. He's also famously shown doing that in a photo on BP balcony while being held in his mother's arms. Of course, I know it's simply a coincidence because the lion as represented is the way it was designed long ago to represent British royalty.

Also re the songbird supporter, I recall in their engagement interview that Harry teased Meghan about her inability to carry a tune. :lol: OTOH, the songbird beautifully represents Meghan's strong and confident femininity, as well as perhaps the creative theatrical aspect of her career (in lieu of the awkward actor's mask). In addition, the songbird serves wonderfully as a representation of Meghan speaking out on behalf of women and girls.

Last edited:
I've been having such fits w/my Net Service, I'm amazed when I have it sad to say. It's through a dish on our roof & w/the winds we've been having lately, wondering if it's been shifted somehow. Anyway...It's working now so catching up....

I love Meghan's Coat of Arms. They're beautiful & so very her. I didn't know Meghan does/did Calligraphy. I've always wanted to try it & have always been fascinated by the artistry in records from the past. I'll bet Meghan would have been beyond interested in the creation of the Instrument of Consent thanks to her interest in it.

I wonder just what part the Wintersweet played in their Relationship for it to be represented the way it has. It was in her Bouquet, on her Veil & now her CoA. It has to mean something very very special to Meghan & I think it's lovely how she's used it both in the Wedding & here in the CoA.

The College of Arms really did a lovely job w/the design & the symbolism of it all. [emoji4]

Simplicity certainly is the key. In mediaeval times Arms were used on the battlefield to designate troops. Later it became en vogue to have cluttered arms, showing how immensely royal or noble one is

I wonder just what part the Wintersweet played in their Relationship for it to be represented the way it has. It was in her Bouquet, on her Veil & now her CoA. It has to mean something very very special to Meghan & I think it's lovely how she's used it both in the Wedding & here in the CoA.

If I'm not mistaken, the wintersweet was included because it grows in the garden of Nottingham Cottage where Meghan and Harry spent a lot of time during their courtship. It symbolizes most likely the coming together of their relationship? That's my guess anyways. :D

I wonder just what part the Wintersweet played in their Relationship for it to be represented the way it has. It was in her Bouquet, on her Veil & now her CoA. It has to mean something very very special to Meghan & I think it's lovely how she's used it both in the Wedding & here in the CoA. [emoji4]
Likely symbolizes home to them.

Can Meghan's CoA be put on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex thread, the same for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom