Meghan Markle: Citizenship and Religious Conversion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they have to "opt", but rather just choose to apply for it. "Opting" implies to me that they would have to give up any other nationality they may hold, which is not the case, see the following link .

The right to citizenship itself is acquired by birth if one of the parents is a native Argentinian, but you are right that it is not automatic as it is incumbent upon the interested person to claim that right by choice and, apparently, at any age.

Bad translation of 'optar' in that case. They indeed have the right to apply but haven't done so and are not expected to do so. Their mother's case was different as she was not able to give up her citizenship.

However, in general the Dutch policy is that people that choose a different nationality will loose their Dutch nationality. This seems to apply to the princesses as well unless their right to apply for it is considered as 'born with the second nationality'. The king could become Argentinian without loosing his Dutch nationality as he is married to an Argentinian :flowers:

All in all, it would be an extremely bad move if the princesses would apply for Argentinian nationality.

Again, sorry for this off-topic message.

Last edited:
My guess is Meghan's citizenship will be fast tracked the moment a pregnancy is announced if it's not already in progress. I just can't see them wanting to deal with that with all the foreign red tape with the future children. It takes 5 years to officially become a British citizen. I have no doubt they will have children in the time frame. Dual citizenship with the US is going to be interesting enough with Meghan come tax time.

Not everybody gets pregnant at the drop of a hat and not everybody has a problem-free pregnancy. Just ask Sophie, Zara, Masako, Charlene, Stephanie, Sonja, etc. While I hope Meghan and Harry can have kids in the next couple of years, it is by no means a sure thing. It could take Meghan and Harry several years until they have a baby, so there’s no point in rushing the citizenship before an actual baby is on the way.

I expect they’ll keep mum on the subject for now and when Meghan is in her second trimester they’ll just announce she’s been granted citizenship so the baby wouldn’t have dual citizenship.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Let's move on from the pregnancy speculation. Thanks.

Thanks hel. How interesting. I know Kate was confirmed at the Chapel at St James and thought that was where Meghan would be too. It's lovely that this little Chapel has been rededicated.

It will be great if Meghan's father can come to the ceremony. I'm sure Harry and he will get on like a house on fire once they get to know each other.

I feel so badly for her dad. The way the media has treated him is appalling. He hasn't done or said anything to deserve it. It's his other kids who keep saying stupid things to the press. I'm so happy to know he will be there. I want to see him walk her down the aisle too.

I'm hoping someone can help me - just to fully understand the workings of the CofE. The Queen is a Prodestant but I see Anglican referred to so much as well - but they're not the same? I fully admit while I know quite a bit about the royals, religious affairs in all matters are not something I know a lot about. I'm definitely a CEO.... Christmas and Easter only.

I'm hoping someone can help me - just to fully understand the workings of the CofE. The Queen is a Prodestant but I see Anglican referred to so much as well - but they're not the same? I fully admit while I know quite a bit about the royals, religious affairs in all matters are not something I know a lot about. I'm definitely a CEO.... Christmas and Easter only.

The Queen belongs to the Church of England, also known as the Anglican Church. Officially, it is a reformed Catholic church, meaning that it isn’t Catholic (or Orthodox), but also technically isn’t Protestant.

That said, while it has a lot of the form of the Roman Catholic Church, it adheres more to the teachings of Protestant denominations, and traditionally has been more aligned with Protestant denominations while England asa whole was staunchly anti-Catholic.

Ok, that greatly clears things up, thank you! I think the part that got me confused today was a story in the DM that spoke about 'Why Protestantism reigns in England' and the Queen's strong faith. So Ms. Markle will now be Anglican?

:previous: Yes, right. It's the same way we do not get to see glimpses of Meghan coming and going in public unless it's a public outing. We are unlikely to see her parents, I would assume.

The only way we would is if it's decided for them to enter the church's front entrance, which as others have commented, is highly unlikely. They are all more than likely to be whisked in and out via a private entrance. The security for Meghan and her family is going to be quite high in England for some time to come. I wonder if her parents are receiving some kind of round-the-clock protection too in California and Mexico (by private security services paid for by Harry).

I feel so badly for her dad. The way the media has treated him is appalling. He hasn't done or said anything to deserve it. It's his other kids who keep saying stupid things to the press. I'm so happy to know he will be there. I want to see him walk her down the aisle too.

Melanie Bromley of E-news said that she suspects both of Meghan's parents will accompany her down the aisle. That would be interesting. But knowing how Meghan feels about her Mom and Dad, it would not be surprising.

The Queen belongs to the Church of England, also known as the Anglican Church. Officially, it is a reformed Catholic church, meaning that it isn’t Catholic (or Orthodox), but also technically isn’t Protestant.

That said, while it has a lot of the form of the Roman Catholic Church, it adheres more to the teachings of Protestant denominations, and traditionally has been more aligned with Protestant denominations while England as a whole was staunchly anti-Catholic.

One of the articles I read mentioned that Meghan's Dad is Episcopalian, which is the Americanized version of Anglican (unsurprising as Thomas Markle, Sr.'s ancestry can be traced back to England to the court of Henry VIII).

I don't believe that Meghan previously had any very strong 'one religion vs the other' beliefs. Her mother Doria grew up Protestant. However, Doria has been described as a free-spirit, which means a free-thinker. Doria appears to be interested in Eastern religions and practices, as she became involved with yoga in the 1970s and she and Tom Markle Sr. were married in a Buddhist Temple in LA. Therefore Meghan seems to have embraced and been exposed to all religions: she had Moslem friends growing up; she attended a Catholic high school and was mentored by her nun teachers; she married and later divorced her Jewish boyfriend; her parents wed in a Buddhist Temple, but her mother grew up attending Baptist churches (Doria's father was a Baptist minister); Tom Markle Sr. comes from an Episcopal background, yet his brother is head of an Eastern Orthodox Catholic ministry.

With Meghan now joining the Anglican Church, it all seems to be coming full circle, in many ways back to her father's English roots.

Last edited:
Glad she was able to do it without media intrusion. Wish her mother had been able to be with her.

Nice to see that her future in-laws, the PoW and DoC were present yesterday.?

Yes, nicely private and discreet. Trust the Fail though to refer to it as 'secret' as though it was some hole in the corner thing done behind people's backs. Gosh, they're an awful rag!

Sounds like a lovely ceremony. Nice that Charles and Camilla where present to offer support. Although we do not know if her parents where present, I would think that given how the press has intruded in their lives that their presence would be a heavily guarded secret at least until they are able to leave the UK and go back home.

I do know that one of her close girlfriends did fly to London and her other BFF splits time living there. So the spa day and baptism is not that far fetched. Her mother could have been there. I agree with the poster upthread who said even if she was they would likely protect that info as much as possible.

Yes, nicely private and discreet. Trust the Fail though to refer to it as 'secret' as though it was some hole in the corner thing done behind people's backs. Gosh, they're an awful rag!
Yes! It seems as though they regard it as something shameful to be hidden away.
:sad:

I'm not understanding why saying the ceremony was secret is a bad thing. The ceremony was a secret, plus the media described Kate's confirmation the same way. For example: Kate confirmed in secret church service

Yeah I don't think it is a secret. We all knew it was happening at some point. It is more private than secret, IMO. And neither is a bad thing. Should be private.

I'm not understanding why saying the ceremony was secret is a bad thing. The ceremony was a secret, plus the media described Kate's confirmation the same way. For example: Kate confirmed in secret church service
IMO secret implies that there is something unsavory or illicit however private means that it is not open to the public.

:previous: Yes, right. It's the same way we do not get to see glimpses of Meghan coming and going in public unless it's a public outing. We are unlikely to see her parents, I would assume.

The only way we would is if it's decided for them to enter the church's front entrance, which as others have commented, is highly unlikely. They are all more than likely to be whisked in and out via a private entrance. The security for Meghan and her family is going to be quite high in England for some time to come. I wonder if her parents are receiving some kind of round-the-clock protection too in California and Mexico (by private security services paid for by Harry).

Melanie Bromley of E-news said that she suspects both of Meghan's parents will accompany her down the aisle. That would be interesting. But knowing how Meghan feels about her Mom and Dad, it would not be surprising.

One of the articles I read mentioned that Meghan's Dad is Episcopalian, which is the Americanized version of Anglican (unsurprising as Thomas Markle, Sr.'s ancestry can be traced back to England to the court of Henry VIII).

I don't believe that Meghan previously had any very strong 'one religion vs the other' beliefs. Her mother Doria grew up Protestant. However, Doria has been described as a free-spirit, which means a free-thinker. Doria appears to be interested in Eastern religions and practices, as she became involved with yoga in the 1970s and she and Tom Markle Sr. were married in a Buddhist Temple in LA[\b]. Therefore Meghan seems to have embraced and been exposed to all religions: she had Moslem friends growing up; she attended a Catholic high school and was mentored by her nun teachers; she married and later divorced her Jewish boyfriend; her parents wed in a Buddhist Temple, but her mother grew up attending Baptist churches (Doria's father was a Baptist minister); Tom Markle Sr. comes from an Episcopal background, yet his brother is head of an Eastern Orthodox Catholic ministry.

With Meghan now joining the Anglican Church, it all seems to be coming full circle, in many ways back to her father's English roots.

Sigh. The Self-Realization Fellowship in L.A. where her parents were married is NOT and was NOT ever a Buddhist Temple.

Yeah I don't think it is a secret. We all knew it was happening at some point. It is more private than secret, IMO. And neither is a bad thing. Should be private.

I agree, private is a more accurate word than secret.

Why would her parents miss something like that though? It just doesn't seem right. They should have been there.

My parents weren't there when I was baptized or confirmed ...job/distance etc. Plus not everyone agrees with those type of ceremonies. Her parents didn't appear to really raise her in a Church.

LaRae

:previous: Just because she wasn't baptized doesn't mean that she didn't have some religious upbringing. Or went to church with them at times. I highly doubt they missed it in protest of not approving of her being baptized. :ermm:

Her father isn't in the greatest health and make the trip for her baptism may have been too much. Her mother works still, and mid week, she may have not found it possible to come.

Shame it couldn't have been done when her mother is there for her bridal shower, if the rumors are true of a bridal shower and hen party, and that Doria is coming.

Why would her parents miss something like that though? It just doesn't seem right. They should have been there.

Maybe they just didn’t want too. I don’t think we will ever see them going to church like the Middleton’s. I’m not going to judge them on whatever they do.

I really don't think it matters at all who was there when Meghan was baptized. Other than the officiating cleric and a few witnesses, this is a sacred covenant between Meghan and her God and not a spectacle.

Her parents will be there for the wedding and that is what really matters.

Sigh. The Self-Realization Fellowship in L.A. where her parents were married is NOT and was NOT ever a Buddhist Temple.

Yeah right. Thanks for pointing that out. It's not a Buddhist Temple, so I stand corrected. However, the founder of the congregation is Swami Paramahansa Yogananda who was a disciple of Swami Sri Yuketeswar, a late 19th-century/ early 20th-century East Indian yogi who was a scholar of the Bhagavad Gita (700 verse Hindu scripture) and of the Bible.

Swami Yogananda founded the Self-Realization Fellowship Hollywood Temple in 1920 to further meditation and yoga well-being and enlightenment practices in the west. Although the L.A. Temple's practices are not directly connected to either Hinduism or to Buddhism, there are some indirect connections to both of those belief systems.

Last edited:
The Fail may have gotten in wrong about Meghan's parents being there, or it simply does not know. Charles and Camilla were there which was nice and two people close to Meghan were her sponsors. The Fail said 18 guests were at the brunch.

DM said Meghan was baptized with water from the River Jordan. I thought such water was used for those who were born Royal. By using this water is this a way of signalling Meghan will be officially Royal upon marriage? It explains the 5000+ comments on DM. I didn't bother to read because it would be the usual drill, some still in denial that this wedding is happening.

DM said Meghan was baptized with water from the River Jordan. I thought such water was used for those who were born Royal. By using this water is this a way of signalling Meghan will be officially Royal upon marriage? It explains the 5000+ comments on DM. I didn't bother to read because it would be the usual drill, some still in denial that this wedding is happening.

Use of water from the Jordan river is common for baptisms and anyone can be baptized themselves at the actual site. It is not something only for royalty. I guess it just makes it a bit more special to use this water in royal baptisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom