Meghan Markle: Citizenship and Religious Conversion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is Princess Charlotte's birth certificate and Diana's passport for reference.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6447698-1x1-940x940.jpg

http://theroyalpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/img_1685.jpg

I assume Meghan would be recognized the same way. Her title would still be used and recognized regardless but her legal name is also included in the passport. Seems it was her maiden name.

Looking at Diana’s passport, it seems to name her as Diana Frances née Spencer, not Diana Frances Spencer; I’d assume that Kate is recognized the same way now. Their legal names are simply their first names, no surname, but they note what surname they used when they last had one.

Thanks. So, her legal name remains the same but as spouse of she can use his titles.

What would be preferred by the British peopke, that she keeps her legal name as is or thst she changes it to Mountbatten-Windsor?

Main difference is that Catherine is a British citizen and Meghan is not, so it will be interesting to see which name they would put on a birth certificate as her legal name will be RMM unless she changes it.

I don’t think what the Brits want is going to be a big play on whether or not Meghan legally changes her surname in the US; I doubt the Brits care enough for it to be more than a story in one news cycle. It’s more likely to depend on how Meghan feels about taking her husband’s name, and the hassle to do so given as neither of them live in the US anymore.

For birth certificates (or drivers licenses or any other legal documents), I expect to see her being listed as Rachel Meghan Markle (or Rachel Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor) HRH The Duchess of Wherever, so long as she’s not a UK citizen. But I could be wrong.

She doesn’t need to be British for Britain to recognize her title and a member of the royal family. Members of royal family do not use a last name and when required uses Mountbatten Windsor, but that’s so rarely in Britain to need it.

Again, two different things. Unlike previous British Royals, Meghan is not a UK citizen, and thus has a legal name that does not necessarily conform to the British Royal system. I would add that we have seen British royals use a surname in Britain in the past - the Queen’s marriage certificate, for example, lists her full name as Elizabeth Mary Alexandra Windsor.

Looking at Diana’s passport, it seems to name her as Diana Frances née Spencer, not Diana Frances Spencer; I’d assume that Kate is recognized the same way now. Their legal names are simply their first names, no surname, but they note what surname they used when they last had one.

I could be reading it wrong but I saw it as née Diana Frances Spencer. As in that was what she was formally known as. The whole name not just her last.

So Kate would have been née Catherine Elizabeth Middleton on hers.

ACO, looking at the pic again, you are correct.

Looking at

I d

Again, two different things. Unlike previous British Royals, Meghan is not a UK citizen, and thus has a legal name that does not necessarily conform to the British Royal system. I would add that we have seen British royals use a surname in Britain in the past - the Queen’s marriage certificate, for example, lists her full name as Elizabeth Mary Alexandra Windsor.

the British wont care as Meghan will use her husband's title. She's not going to use her own name..

Princess Marie of Denmark and the former Princess Alexandria of Denmark both were granted citizenship upon marriage, so clearly that had nothing to do with marrying crown princes. The bottom line is, she is going to be carrying out duties representing the monarch for the rest of her life unless something drastic happens. It's a bit odd. And I'm not sure how the people would feel about the grandchildren of a monarch to carry dual citizenship until they are 18. I actually think it's better for any children they might have to have that option if they prefer to pursue a more private life in US once they are old enough. Any trust set up for them can just be kept in US to avoid British taxes and FBAR disclosures. But then again, I'm American.

Brilliant answer jacqui. ?

Roya Nikkhah is reporting in tomorrow's Sunday Times that Meghan will be baptized and confirmed this month (and possibly this week) at the KP chapel, and that both of her parents will be travelling to witness it.

Last edited:
Lovely. All I want is one official picture of the couple, the archbishop and Meghan's parents.

I don’t think we’ll get any photos. We didn’t for Catherine’s confirmation.

IIRC this is considered a private (as it should be) event.

LaRae

Lovely. All I want is one official picture of the couple, the archbishop and Meghan's parents.

Well you won’t get it. It’s private or should be it would be a terrible slip up to make it a photo call

Yeah there will be no media from this and it shouldn't. Meghan must be exhausted. She clearly has been very very busy. Probably counting down until the honeymoon.

Well you won’t get it. It’s private or should be it would be a terrible slip up to make it a photo call
No one is asking for a photo call
just one official photo will suffice.

The BRF don't release official photos for these type of private events, so we won't be seeing one from Meghan.

There isn’t a photo for everything royals do privately something some people will have to get use too. And don’t plan on seeing monthly photos of little babies either. Doesn’t happen

In case anyone is interested, there's a wee bit about the Kensington Palace Chapel on the website of BCA Consulting, who did a refurbishment of it in the early 2000s.

Built in the 1830s, it had apparently been converted to accommodation use, but was restored to reflect its original use and was rededicated in 2002.

There are a couple of pictures on the company's website, though they're very small.

Kensington Palace Chapel case study by BCA Consulting

It's nice that her parents are coming. That conversation between Harry and Tom Sr should be interesting.

Thanks hel. How interesting. I know Kate was confirmed at the Chapel at St James and thought that was where Meghan would be too. It's lovely that this little Chapel has been rededicated.

It will be great if Meghan's father can come to the ceremony. I'm sure Harry and he will get on like a house on fire once they get to know each other.

Again, the difference is that Máxima was Dutch when her children were born... To me it makes a big difference if you use the custom of the country of your citizenship (of course that prevails) or the country that you are only 'living in' while not a citizen (in that case, I'd say her legal name should be used - so that is unless they speed up her process, which I think would be the wise thing to do).

Having Dutch kids is irrelevant in determining if or not one can hold a Dutch title, and in any case Maxima still holds Argentinian citizenship as she wasn’t allowed to renounce regardless of her fast tracked Dutch one. So the Dutch have an Argentinian as its Queen which is fine in my book (progress & all that.)

Her children are also half Argentinian, are they automatically Argentinian citizens as well? Children born to Prince Harry and Meghan will have both British and American citizenship obviously.

Having Dutch kids is irrelevant in determining if or not one can hold a Dutch title, and in any case Maxima still holds Argentinian citizenship as she wasn’t allowed to renounce regardless of her fast tracked Dutch one. So the Dutch have an Argentinian as its Queen which is fine in my book (progress & all that.)

Her children are also half Argentinian, are they automatically Argentinian citizens as well? Children born to Prince Harry and Meghan will have both British and American citizenship obviously.

In regards to Harry and Meghan's children, yes they will. Thank you for pointing this out.

Her children are also half Argentinian, are they automatically Argentinian citizens as well?

That is actually a good question. Like many countries in the American continent, Argentina adopts the principle of jus soli under which any person born in Argentinian territory automatically acquires Argentinian citizenship by birth, unless his or her parents are in the service of a foreign government, e.g. diplomats. However, Argentinian law also recognizes jus sanguinis, meaning that children of at least one Argentinian parent also acquire Argentinian citizenship.

Since Máxima was an Argentinian citizen at the time when her daughters were born (and actually still is), my understanding is that Amalia, Alexia and Ariane also have Argentinian citizenship. Has that ever been an issue in the Netherlands ?

Why do the British royals share pictures after the christening and not of confirmation? Both are considered private religious events and as long as the monarch is also the head of the church and needs to be a member it is not an entirely private affair for this specific family.

That is actually a good question. Like many countries in the American continent, Argentina adopts the principle of jus soli under which any person born in Argentinian territory automatically acquires Argentinian citizenship by birth, unless his or her parents are in the service of a foreign government, e.g. diplomats. However, Argentinian law also recognizes jus sanguinis, meaning that children of at least one Argentinian parent also acquire Argentinian citizenship.

Since Máxima was an Argentinian citizen at the time when her daughters were born (and actually still is), my understanding is that Amalia, Alexia and Ariane also have Argentinian citizenship. Has that ever been an issue in the Netherlands ?

Off-topic but happy to clarify. The princesses are not Argentinian citizens! According to Argentinian law (looked it up ahain to be sure) they can opt to become Argentinian citizens (as children of an Argentinian parent) but it is not automatic.

Off-topic but happy to clarify. The princesses are not Argentinian citizens! According to Argentinian law (looked it up ahain to be sure) they can opt to become Argentinian citizens (as children of an Argentinian parent) but it is not automatic.

I don't think they have to "opt", but rather just choose to apply for it. "Opting" implies to me that they would have to give up any other nationality they may hold, which is not the case, see the following link .

The right to citizenship itself is acquired by birth if one of the parents is a native Argentinian, but you are right that it is not automatic as it is incumbent upon the interested person to claim that right by choice and, apparently, at any age.

Last edited:
share pictures after the christening and not of confirmation?

In the United Kingdom Christenings [which are generally of infants] has LONG been a Social affair. Both Families of the Parents, Godparents and friends dress up, and there is a party to celebrate.
Confirmations are altogether more low-key, as neither Families, Godparents or Friends need attend. The person being Confirmed might go out to Lunch, but i've never heard of it being a 'Big thing' in the way Christenings often are.
HMQ may be head of the CoE, but in the UK Religion is essentially a private matter, and that applies to the Royal Family as it does to any other...

I don't think they have to "opt", but rather just choose to apply for it. "Opting" implies to me that they would have to give up any other nationality they may hold, which is not the case, see the following link .

The right to citizenship itself is acquired by birth if one of the parents is a native Argentinian, but you are right that it is not automatic as it is incumbent upon the interested person to claim that right by choice and, apparently, at any age.

Would any future H/M offspring still be subject to US taxation laws once they come of age even if they hadn’t set foot on the land nor aquired a US passport and had no interest in doing so? Or would they have to officially renounce? I find this type of situation so bizarre.

Last edited:
My guess is Meghan's citizenship will be fast tracked the moment a pregnancy is announced if it's not already in progress. I just can't see them wanting to deal with that with all the foreign red tape with the future children. It takes 5 years to officially become a British citizen. I have no doubt they will have children in the timeframe. Dual citizenship with the US is going to be interesting enough with Meghan come tax time.

In the United Kingdom Christenings [which are generally of infants] has LONG been a Social affair. Both Families of the Parents, Godparents and friends dress up, and there is a party to celebrate.
Confirmations are altogether more low-key, as neither Families, Godparents or Friends need attend. The person being Confirmed might go out to Lunch, but i've never heard of it being a 'Big thing' in the way Christenings often are.
HMQ may be head of the CoE, but in the UK Religion is essentially a private matter, and that applies to the Royal Family as it does to any other...

Going a bit off topic but for a member of the CoE, is receiving Holy Communion for the first time considered to be a "big thing" like it is for Roman Catholics?

^ For the individual concerned, I daresay it is.. but there are no white dresses, veils or [for boys] suits and ties...

^ For the individual concerned, I daresay it is.. but there are no white dresses, veils or [for boys] suits and ties...

And how it is during the Confirmation?

Why do the British royals share pictures after the christening and not of confirmation? Both are considered private religious events and as long as the monarch is also the head of the church and needs to be a member it is not an entirely private affair for this specific family.
They did share photographs after William's confirmation-probably for the reason you stated. William is the heir's heir.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pri...AhWlm-AKHfFqA7UQ9QEINjAD#imgrc=DDx4JnjKcGZ9tM:

But I don't recall even an announcement of anyone else's confirmation, not even Harry's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom