The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #881  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:02 PM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
There is something unwholesome about the alacrity with which some are suggesting Meghan's choice to formally join the CofE is a giant con. I can only wonder what makes it so important that Meghan's formalising her faith should be belittled, smeared and rubbished. Does it pose a threat?
Yeah I find some of these comments very interesting as well.
__________________

  #882  
Old 03-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
I just want to add again that if the Archbishop of Canterbury, who clearly spent a good deal of time with Meghan on this, didn't find her faith to be questionable enough to baptize and confirm her himself. Who are we to question her faith without having had one discussion with her about it?
__________________

  #883  
Old 03-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
We shouldn't be. We should accept that in good faith she is converting for the right reasons and leave it in the hands of the clergy involved who know 99 percent MORE info than we do.


LaRae
  #884  
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
I just thought after reading this thread and I have to say I agree with my sister's comment above, just why in the heck is it anybody's darn business what Meghan does in regards to her personal/private choice of religion?
Well, it is not my business as I am American.

But as I read many UK forum members, the National Religion thing counts.
__________________
"And the tabloid press will be a pain in the ass, as usual." - Royal Norway
  #885  
Old 03-26-2018, 06:49 PM
M. Payton's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,850

No it does not count for a persons religious beliefs are personal for that person only, this is not the *inquisition* for goodness sake. To ask someone how they worship, whom the believe in, or anything to do with religion is down right rude, insulting and borders on the low mentality of the human race, well the human race already is at it's lowest level in history from all I see and read. This is not just a British issue, it is a personal issue for Meghan and nobody's darn business......would you like it if someone ask all of this of you or anyone here? I do not think so, I equate it to asking anyone here something like.....oh, what color of underwear are we wearing today, ....personal questions need to be left for knowing people on a very personal level and in private.....not on a forum with thousands of humans beings who want to put their nose where it does not belong.

As someone said to me recently in a PM, *Oh of the human race I do despair*.............How very true in reading this thread and a few others on Harry and Meghan....

I do apologize for sounding a bit tough on that subject yet I firmly believe even though we follow and discuss subjects on royal families that some subjects are not and should not be brought forth and torn apart the way they have been on Harry and Meghan. Each of these royals as with us, have a private personal life that includes things that are just that..*personal and private* as it should be.

What Meghan does or doesn't do is up to her only and Harry, yet remember she is an individual with great common sense and strong character, she will do fine, yet it is some here that I feel are not doing so fine with such strong criticism and negative comments.

And the BRF is not going to fall apart over what religion Meghan chooses for they will continue to carry on as always.
  #886  
Old 03-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,896
Any news on Meghan’s naturalization process in the UK and/or about her renouncing her US citizenship ?
  #887  
Old 03-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Any news on Meghan’s naturalization process in the UK and/or about her renouncing her US citizenship ?
My understanding is Meghan is going to go through the 'normal process' which is why her children, likely born during that 5 year waiting period starting upon her marriage in May, will de dual citizens of the UK/US. Kinda cool methinks.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #888  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:39 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Any news on Meghan’s naturalization process in the UK and/or about her renouncing her US citizenship ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
My understanding is Meghan is going to go through the 'normal process' which is why her children, likely born during that 5 year waiting period starting upon her marriage in May, will de dual citizens of the UK/US. Kinda cool methinks.
There has been no announcement about Meghan being fast-tracked because the powers that be felt many people would find that unfair, bad optics, etc. However, with so many things going on and the fact that the government has plans for the junior royals and that Catherine is going to be out of action they may rethink.

It is very difficult to send a royal couple out to represent the UK when one of them is not a citizen in so far as it muddies the water. Some government person even floated the idea that they should visit the US. Can't you just see it, 'Ladies and gentlemen, HRH Prince Harry and his wife Megan . . . erm Prince Harry, what's your wife's new surname?

I shall wait and see what happens next.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #889  
Old 03-27-2018, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
There has been no announcement about Meghan being fast-tracked because the powers that be felt many people would find that unfair, bad optics, etc. However, with so many things going on and the fact that the government has plans for the junior royals and that Catherine is going to be out of action they may rethink.

It is very difficult to send a royal couple out to represent the UK when one of them is not a citizen in so far as it muddies the water. Some government person even floated the idea that they should visit the US. Can't you just see it, 'Ladies and gentlemen, HRH Prince Harry and his wife Megan . . . erm Prince Harry, what's your wife's new surname?

I shall wait and see what happens next.
Her citizenship has no effect on her being HRH Duchess of X if Harry is given a title on his wedding day. She was going to be a working royal when they made that decision. US doesn’t recognize titles anyways, the royals are addressed by their titles as curtesy.
  #890  
Old 03-27-2018, 08:04 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Which is surprising considering that the Pope was recently in Sweden with the president of the World Lutheran Federation and the primate of the Church of Sweden to mark 500 years of the Reformation.

Not really ...just because they are Lutheran doesn't mean they would agree with that decision.


LaRae
  #891  
Old 03-27-2018, 09:19 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,184
So there we have it. As far as Meghan joining the Church of England, she not only has the approval of the Supreme Governor of the Church of England (which is the Queen) but also the Archbishop of Canterbury who is the senior bishop and principal leader of the Church of England, the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion and the diocesan bishop of the Diocese of Canterbury.

I don't think it can get more official than that.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #892  
Old 03-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,058
A number of off-topic posts taking the thread off-track have been deleted. This thread is specifically about Meghan's citizenship and religious conversation, not about anyone else's. Since Meghan has now officially become a member of the Church of England, it seems there is no longer a need to debate or speculate upon her religious beliefs.
__________________
JACK
  #893  
Old 04-21-2018, 09:03 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,742
I have read several articles in reputable US publications pondering on Meghan's tax returns to the IRS where they seemed sure that she would have to disclose the monetary value of not just income, but the value of any gifts and, more importantly, loans such as jewellery. Even the tiara for the wedding.

In point of fact they would require more specific details of royal finances than the British government does

Perhaps the government would be prudent to gift Meghan her citizenship as a wedding present.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #894  
Old 04-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Yes if you win prizes at a game show, lottery, gifts over a certain dollar amount etc those have to be reported as income.

I think she'll be a Brit citizen by the end of this year.


LaRae
  #895  
Old 04-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
I've been reading those articles too....I would think that the royal family's lawyers and accountants should be advising Meghan on these issues. I have read about the fact that Meghan can file under the status of 'married filing separately'. There will be less tax concessions but then again, she will no longer be earning the kind of income she was receiving as a full time actress. Her own income for year 2018 would be from royalties, residuals or whatever investments she had in the US.
  #896  
Old 04-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Yeah I'm sure they have this being handled by accountant attys.

This isn't the first American woman with her own money to marry over there...some of it is probably very routine for them.


LaRae
  #897  
Old 04-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 4,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I've been reading those articles too....I would think that the royal family's lawyers and accountants should be advising Meghan on these issues. I have read about the fact that Meghan can file under the status of 'married filing separately'. There will be less tax concessions but then again, she will no longer be earning the kind of income she was receiving as a full time actress. Her own income for year 2018 would be from royalties, residuals or whatever investments she had in the US.
Yes, I am sure their lawyers and accountants will be advising her, and that it will be dealt with discreetly and appropriately.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
  #898  
Old 04-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I have read several articles in reputable US publications pondering on Meghan's tax returns to the IRS where they seemed sure that she would have to disclose the monetary value of not just income, but the value of any gifts and, more importantly, loans such as jewellery. Even the tiara for the wedding.

In point of fact they would require more specific details of royal finances than the British government does

Perhaps the government would be prudent to gift Meghan her citizenship as a wedding present.
That would be a great idea! Wonder if they do it? It would solve a lot of ambiguities, like children being dual citizens.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #899  
Old 04-22-2018, 01:05 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,742
I was astounded that they said even the value of the home they live in and pay rent or a mortgage on would be required. Since it is part and parcel of Kensington Palace I don't think anyone would actually know and if they did they would be more than a little reluctant to provide it.

The biggest puzzler for me was the requirement to provide a value for any jewellery loans, long or short, gifts I could understand even if I think they have no right to anything in that realm. I really imagine that the value of such things are unknown especially if they were auctioned. With their provenance, the price would be through the roof.

Since neither of these categories can be considered income, why do they need to know?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #900  
Old 04-22-2018, 01:16 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I was astounded that they said even the value of the home they live in and pay rent or a mortgage on would be required. Since it is part and parcel of Kensington Palace I don't think anyone would actually know and if they did they would be more than a little reluctant to provide it.

The biggest puzzler for me was the requirement to provide a value for any jewellery loans, long or short, gifts I could understand even if I think they have no right to anything in that realm. I really imagine that the value of such things are unknown especially if they were auctioned. With their provenance, the price would be through the roof.

Since neither of these categories can be considered income, why do they need to know?
The law isn't created with Meghan Markle marrying Prince Harry in mind. And KP does have rented out apartments, so they could do an appraisal. A lot of the disclosure laws are designed to prevent tax evasion and money laundering. I don't think they took into account that historic jewels from the vault of the BRF might be loaned to a US citizen. One potential way to get around the jewels is the fact that it's not being loaned for her benefit, but rather as part of an unpaid job they are asking her to do. BTW, even some of these experts wouldn't be able to say for sure what kind of treatment is acceptable to IRS since there isn't a known precedent. The lawyers would likely apply for a private letter ruling for any position they take to be safe prior to actually filing the returns or disclosure forms.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018 soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 3418 06-19-2018 01:39 PM
Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings soapstar Royal Style File 1819 05-19-2018 06:22 AM
Meghan Markle: Wedding Tiara and Jewelry Suggestions and Musings Tilia C. Royal Jewels General Discussion 999 05-19-2018 06:02 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication america anastasia 2020 biography bridal gown britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace canada china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing daisy dna doge of venice dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii emperor facts family life fantasy movie fashion and style george vi hello! hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hypothetical monarchs introduction jewellery king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark mountbatten names plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince dimitri prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien queen louise queen mathilde queen maxima resusci anne royal ancestry royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown russian court dress solomon j solomon speech stuart suthida thailand uae customs united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×