Meghan Markle: Citizenship and Religious Conversion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel for Master Archie. Not even a month old and the world is planning his life.....no total title, that’s okay we will make him The US President! Archie’s just out on ear plugs and ignore all of us....we do love you!

Nobody is planning his life. And the odds of Archie claiming his US citizenshio to move to the US and run for President are astronomically slim. But the fact remains, it is possible even if not probable.

:previous:

At present he is theoretically an American citizen with all of the obligations attached under American law, whether or not he wants it. He will need to "claim" the citizenship in order to officially renounce it.

He will also need to "claim" it, or more likely his parents will have to, if he is to ever visit the home country of his grandmother before he is a teenager. As a citizen of the United States, he cannot use a British passport when entering the USA.

So, yes, if Archie claimed his US citizenship and renounced his UK citizenship, he could potentially be elected President of the United States.

Even renunciation of foreign citizenship isn't strictly necessary. Ted Cruz did it for political reasons, not as a legal requirement.

Last edited:
He will also need to "claim" it, or more likely his parents will have to, if he is to ever visit the home country of his grandmother before he is a teenager. As a citizen of the United States, he cannot use a British passport when entering the USA.

Even renunciation of foreign citizenship isn't strictly necessary. Ted Cruz did it for political reasons, not as a legal requirement.

I don’t think the President of the United States could be a citizen of the UK as well as the US, so yes, renunciation would be necessary.

I don’t think the President of the United States could be a citizen of the UK as well as the US, so yes, renunciation would be necessary.

I think wbenson’s point is it’s not necessary by law. Just like being a US citizen, but growing up in UK will likely mean Archie would never be elected even if he spends 14 years in US.

Wow, Archie is only a couple of months old and already he's running to be president of America

I'll vote for him LOL but I'll likely be dead by then.

In response to an earlier post, I predict that Harry and Meghan will adopt children in the future. She is getting a little older now and may have one or two more (Archie's gestation seemed to go very well, bless his heart). They seem to care deeply for the children of Africa and I can see them adopting a few orphans from there.

The way I see it, Harry (and now Meghan) already have taken the children of Sentebale into their hearts and it will be that vehicle that they use to care and nurture them and provide what they need.

I don't see them actually adopting an African child in the accepted way adoptions work as I believe the both of them would rather children grow up and thrive in their own natural environments rather than to be the "odd guy out" and be in the limelight of the world (both positively and negatively) as part of the British royal family.

Then again, this is just my opinion as to how I see it. I could be wrong y'know. :D

The way I see it, Harry (and now Meghan) already have taken the children of Sentebale into their hearts and it will be that vehicle that they use to care and nurture them and provide what they need.

I don't see them actually adopting an African child in the accepted way adoptions work as I believe the both of them would rather children grow up and thrive in their own natural environments rather than to be the "odd guy out" and be in the limelight of the world (both positively and negatively) as part of the British royal family.

Then again, this is just my opinion as to how I see it. I could be wrong y'know. :D

I would agree with these thoughts. It is hard enough for spouses to move in to the royal spotlight never mind a child.

She's not giving up her American citizenship--she plans to have dual citizenship.

As an American I have heard that she will give up her American Citizenship because...

"As a US citizen, regardless of where she lives, Meghan will be obliged to file a US tax return and to report any foreign accounts, assets over $200,000 and gifts valued more than $15,797 "regardless of whether it is actually in your possession," according to the IRS."

This is said to be a problem for the Royal Family as it would open up their financial matters to the US IRS (our tax organization). I don't know if this is true, but it is definitely something to consider.

Currently, her only citizenship is American. So, there is nothing to give up yet. Once she has British citizenship she may decide to either give it up or keep it. By that time the IRS will have had insight in her finances as a member of the royal family.

You might want to read this whole thread as this topic has been discussed quite extensively, so I am sure it will be of interest to you.

I'll vote for him LOL but I'll likely be dead by then.

In response to an earlier post, I predict that Harry and Meghan will adopt children in the future. She is getting a little older now and may have one or two more (Archie's gestation seemed to go very well, bless his heart). They seem to care deeply for the children of Africa and I can see them adopting a few orphans from there.

I know adoption is typically seen in a very positive light in the States. In many other countries concerns about the negative effects of adoption seem to be more prominent. This is not to say that adoption is by definition a bad thing (it can turn out really good for both parents and child but, unfortunately, that's not always the case) but there are a lot of problems caused by the adoption industry (it's a money making business!) that shouldn't be ignored either.

And I agree with those who state that adopting a child into the spotlights of the British royal family would most likely not be in the best interest of the child.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Richard Palmer Meghan will not renounce her US citizenship. She will go for dual citizenship.

And that's fine, imo. Lots of people have dual citizenship.

According to Richard Palmer Meghan will not renounce her US citizenship. She will go for dual citizenship.

Probably a precaution in case she goes back to the US in the future. But no doubt it will be controversial in the UK as it might signal a lack of commitment to her new country.

Besides, she will have to file tax returns in the US, which might expose the Royal Family's private finances, although I think the risk of that is slim considering that her personal income must be separated from Harry's.

All Americans have the option to file their taxes separately from their spouses - "Married filing separately".

Last edited:
Probably a precaution in case she goes back to the US in the future. But no doubt it will be controversial in the UK as it might signal a lack of commitment to her new country.

You are quite right in identifying it as an issue from a British perspective. If she is unwilling to commit to British citizenship exclusively, many will question her commitment to being a Princess in the UK.

I always assumed that Meghan would have dual citizenship. On its own I don't think the dual citizenship is or should be a problem. I think the problem arises when it is part of a series of very small, symbolic gestures/actions that have a cumulative effect on public perception.

With the treatment that Meghan is receiving from the British media, BRF & some of the public I would recommend that she go for dual citizenship, especially since she still has her mother back in the states and the US government is a hot mess right now when it comes to immigration/visas.

Doesn't matter what some say they don't have her or her family's (Archie/Harry) best interest at heart. They are going to question anything she does anyway so she doesn't need to make ultimate sacrifices for them. If her hard work and dedication to her charities, patronages and other assignments aren't enough too bad.

I would do dual citizenship nothing wrong with that. She isn’t going to be Queen. She doesn’t have to give up everything.

Good. I was hoping she wouldn't. There is no need. I also hope Archie has it.

Good. I was hoping she wouldn't. There is no need. I also hope Archie has it.

Archie will have it anyway until he is old enough to be able to renounce it.

I guess it all comes down to where and how Meghan sees her future evolve.

Last edited:
Whatever is chosen it will be seen as 'a signal', and [possibly] be intended as such....

If the BRF was so concerned about that, they should’ve give her the citizenship at the time of her marriage.

By the way, Queen Maxima of the Netherlands has dual citizenship. Meghan is not even going to be Queen.

There are other members of the BRF who are foreign born, and I’ve not heard of them renouncing their “birth right” citizenships.

Last edited:
BRF was so concerned about that, they should’ve give her the citizenship at the time of her marriage.

The UK is not an Absolute Monarchy.. there are procedures to be followed, and the Duchess has to abide by the rules, like everyone else..

The UK is not an Absolute Monarchy.. there are procedures to be followed, and the Duchess has to abide by the rules, like everyone else..

Other European houses are also not absolute Monarchies, yet they grant citizenships to their foreign born royal brides at the time of their marriage.

And yes, she has to abide by the rules like everyone else. And like everyone else, she has the rights just like the other foreign born brides of the BRF.

Last edited:
If the BRF was so concerned about that, they should’ve give her the citizenship at the time of her marriage.

By the way, Queen Maxima of the Netherlands has dual citizenship. Meghan is not even going to be Queen.

There are other members of the BRF who are foreign born, and I’ve not heard of them renouncing their “birth right” citizenships.

First, the BRF could not simply give her the citizenship summarily as they lack the power to do so. Those matters are regulated by law in the UK.

Second, Maxima explained she has dual citizenship because Argentina does not allow one to renounce his/her citizenship. It is simply not possible.

CP Mary on the other hand gave up her Australian citizenship.

Keeping her US citizenship seems like a good way to go. Her US income is probably heavily investment income, and the taxes on some is low compared to the rate on wage-earning income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom