Meghan Markle: Citizenship and Religious Conversion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless he decides to settle permanently in the US (he will not be working royal).

For now he first needs a name. Without it will be impossible to register him both in the UK and at the US embassy.

Someone wrote in another thread that Archie was also a US citizen...! Is that true?!

Seems to differ from country to country. I know that there is no automatism in my country in gaining a foreign citizenship only because one of your parents is a foreigner when you are not born in his/ her homeland territory - unless your parents apply for it at the authorities.

Seems to differ from country to country. I know that there is no automatism in my country in gaining a foreign citizenship only because one of your parents is a foreigner when you are not born in his/ her homeland territory - unless your parents apply for it at the authorities.

I think it happens in Germany and many other countries too. We just don't hear about it because most people are not public figures.

For examples, during the last World Cup, the USA Team was composed mainly of German footballers who were born in Germany mainly to German mothers and US Military Service men stationed in Germany. These youngsters could only play for the USA team because they claimed USA citizenship through one USA Citizen-parent. Most of these youngsters had not even lived or played football (soccer) in the USA.

Last edited:

Automation isn’t based on the law of the country he was born in. But the country he wasn’t born in. Based on US law, he was born a US citizen even though he wasn’t born on US soil since he was born to a mother who is US citizen and have lived in US for a certain number of years in her life.

Automation isn’t based on the law of the country he was born in. But the country he wasn’t born in. Based on US law, he was born a US citizen even though he wasn’t born on US soil since he was born to a mother who is US citizen and have lived in US for a certain number of years in her life.

I didn´t question this! I just doubt that this practise (becoming automatically a citizen of a certain country even though you have not been born on its soil only because one of your parents is a citizen of this particular country) is being done everywhere.
I know that you will have to apply for dual citizenship in Germany if you want it. If you then get it will depend on various factors.

I didn´t question this! I just doubt that this practise (becoming automatically a citizen of a certain country even though you have not been born on its soil only because one of your parents is a citizen of this particular country) is being done everywhere.
I know that you will have to apply for dual citizenship in Germany if you want it. If you then get it will depend on various factors.

For US citizenship for Archie, they (H&M) would have to go to the US Embassy and register his birth and pay the processing fee. But they don't have to apply for citizenship for his since he qualifies through his mother.

For US citizenship for Archie, they (H&M) would have to go to the US Embassy and register his birth and pay the processing fee. But they don't have to apply for citizenship for his since he qualifies through his mother.

Or Archie could claim his US citizenship after he is 18.

Or Archie could renounce his US citizenship at 18 much like Prince Albert of Monaco did. Either way, I think that Archie reaching 18 and being able to make the decision for himself will happen before he inherits The Duke of Sussex title.

Perhaps this is the reasoning behind Archie being a "master" for now. Even if Charles becomes king and then Archie is "Prince Archie of Sussex", he remains a commoner. He won't be a peer until he inherits his father's dukedom or is created a peer by his grandfather or uncle.

Archie Mountbatten-Windsor was a dual American citizen at birth based on his mother's fulfillment of the conditions established by American law.

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad

Registration would be used to prove his citizenship to the American government, for obtaining the benefits of citizenship.

If he is not registered at birth at the US embassy or does not claim citizenship when he turns 18, will Archie still be subject to US taxes and other obligations imposed on US citizens ?

If he is not registered at birth at the US embassy or does not claim citizenship when he turns 18, will Archie still be subject to US taxes and other obligations imposed on US citizens ?

According to an American website for legal questions, yes:

Overseas American Citizens: When You Need to File a Tax Return or Pay U.S. Taxes | Nolo.com

It bears noting that U.S. tax laws apply to all American citizens, including those who may have never taken affirmative steps to document their citizenship by way of procuring a U.S. passport. Indeed, people who may not know that they are U.S. citizens—a scenario occurring with some frequency in the context of children born abroad to U.S. citizens who acquire citizenship by derivation – and who have never been to the United States are subject to United States tax law.​

Or Archie could renounce his US citizenship at 18 much like Prince Albert of Monaco did. Either way, I think that Archie reaching 18 and being able to make the decision for himself will happen before he inherits The Duke of Sussex title.

Perhaps this is the reasoning behind Archie being a "master" for now. Even if Charles becomes king and then Archie is "Prince Archie of Sussex", he remains a commoner. He won't be a peer until he inherits his father's dukedom or is created a peer by his grandfather or uncle.

From the legal point of view, Archie will not become a peer until he inherits or is granted a peerage in his own right, no matter if he is called Master, Lord, Earl of Dumbarton, or Prince beforehand.

Or Archie could claim his US citizenship after he is 18.

Yeah...But who would want that.People are "filling in " Archies...life coming from all walks of life which is amusing to say the least but beyond any point haha!

:previous:

At present he is theoretically an American citizen with all of the obligations attached under American law, whether or not he wants it. He will need to "claim" the citizenship in order to officially renounce it.

According to an American website for legal questions, yes:

Overseas American Citizens: When You Need to File a Tax Return or Pay U.S. Taxes | Nolo.com
It bears noting that U.S. tax laws apply to all American citizens, including those who may have never taken affirmative steps to document their citizenship by way of procuring a U.S. passport. Indeed, people who may not know that they are U.S. citizens—a scenario occurring with some frequency in the context of children born abroad to U.S. citizens who acquire citizenship by derivation – and who have never been to the United States are subject to United States tax law.​
From the legal point of view, Archie will not become a peer until he inherits or is granted a peerage in his own right, no matter if he is called Master, Lord, Earl of Dumbarton, or Prince beforehand.

Furthermore, I don't see what being called a master or an earl has to do with Archie making a decision on keeping his US citizenship or not. One can be a US citizen and inherit a British peerage or any other foreign title of nobility (there are actually US citizens who are peers). His (or her) title simply won't be acknowledged in US law or US ID documents.

I suppose there might be a problem if someone inherits a peerage while being an employee of the US government or an elected officer of the United States because it might be construed as a violation of the emoluments clause in the US constitution, but I am not sure about that.

Last edited:

IMO Prince Albert of Monaco renounced his US Citizen because he was the heir - to be Head of the Principality and a citizen of a foreign nation just does look good. His sisters on the other hand, I don't think they renounced.

Apart from Prince William and Prince Harry, all HM’s grandchildren and great-grandchildren are all commoners because none of them have a peerage.

AFAIK, he will not be allowed to do it; a candidate has to be born in the US.

No, he does not. Neither John McCain nor Ted Cruz were born in the US and they both ran for president.

What the US constitution says is that the president must be a natural born citizen of the United States, which the Supreme Court interpreted as being a citizen at birth ( as opposed to a naturalized citizen). Archie would qualify then .

Last edited:

That is not the case. Archie is the son of an American. Therefore be could run for president once he reaches age and if he doesn't renounce his USA citizenship. Ted Cruz, born in Canada, and John McCain, born in Panama, were able to run for president as they were born to an American citizen.

Not exactly, Ted Cruz was born in Canada. He holds natural born US Citizenship as his mother was a US citizen at the time of his birth.

"Citizenship
Main article: Ted Cruz presidential campaign, 2016 § Eligibility
Further information: Natural-born-citizen clause
Cruz has stated that when he was a child, his mother told him that she would have to make an affirmative act to claim Canadian citizenship for him, so his family assumed that he did not hold Canadian citizenship.[210] In August 2013, after the Dallas Morning News pointed out that Cruz had dual Canadian-American citizenship,[211][212] he applied to formally renounce his Canadian citizenship and ceased being a citizen of Canada on May 14, 2014.[210][213]

Several lawsuits and ballot challenges asserting that Cruz is ineligible to become U.S. president have been filed.[214][215][216][217][218][219][220] No lawsuit or challenge has been successful, and in February 2016, the Illinois Board of Elections ruled in Cruz's favor, stating, "The candidate is a natural born citizen by virtue of being born in Canada to his mother who was a U.S. citizen at the time of his birth."[221]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz

So, yes, if Archie claimed his US citizenship and renounced his UK citizenship, he could potentially be elected President of the United States.

Senator McCain was born on an American military base overseas..that is considered American soil.

LaRae

Senator McCain was born on an American military base overseas..that is considered American soil.

LaRae

That is so true. And that goes also for people who are on foreign mission on behalf of the US Government eg. Diplomats, Embassy personnel, etc.

I feel for Master Archie. Not even a month old and the world is planning his life.....no total title, that’s okay we will make him The US President! Archie’s just out on ear plugs and ignore all of us....we do love you!

I feel for Master Archie. Not even a month old and the world is planning his life.....no total title, that’s okay we will make him The US President! Archie’s just out on ear plugs and ignore all of us....we do love you!

Usually its the parents that have the high expectations of what their child will grow up to be as in following in daddy's or mommy's footsteps and become a doctor, lawyer or President. :lol:

I sincerely believe that both Harry and Meghan are going to raise their child(ren) to explore and follow their own paths and inclinations and be supportive of them no matter what they choose to do in life. They'll raise Archie to know he has his options and encourage him to follow his dreams.

Harry was born with the expectations from birth that some day he'll be the child of the King and be expected to join the family "Firm". Harry did find his niche that made his royal lifestyle palatable to him but perhaps both Meghan and Harry don't want their child growing up with expectations hanging over his head like an iron anvil poised to drop on his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom