Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For forum posters who follow other royal families, this wedding will be a lot like Carl Philip's and Sophia's in Sweden, with the combination of traditional music and soul.
I like the choice of the modern wording of the service, because the exchanging of rings and the blessing, do really use some beautiful words. I am a bit disappointed that they didn't go for their full name, except at the beginning of the service, but reading the whole order of service I have the feeling they wanted to keep the ceremony as much personal and intimate as possible, despite the location and the crowd gathered outside.

It will still be more formal than CP and Sofia’s wedding music, which was all pop music or traditional Lutheran hymns. Harry and Meghan’s wedding will also include a good deal of classical music, which, correct me if I am wrong, is not reallly common in Anglican services. William and Kate’s wedding music for example was mostly Anglican hymns and psalms ( ie liturgical music) or fanfares and patriotic hymns. I don’t remember classical pieces in their wedding.

For the British RF, I suppose Harry and Meghan’s wedding is as modern as it can get, and there will be pop elements with Stand by Me and This Little Light of Mine for example.

Depending on the arrangement, I do think that This Little Light of Mine as a recessional may indeed feel a little like Joyful, Joyful at CP and Sofia’s wedding.

Last edited:
. Harry and Meghan’s wedding will also include a good deal of classical music, which, correct me if I am wrong, is not reallly common in Anglican services. William and Kate’s wedding music for example was mostly Anglican hymns and psalms ( ie liturgical music) or fanfares and patriotic hymns. I don’t remember classical pieces in their wedding.

Usually it's a combination - 2 or 3 hymns and other music at other points (usually classical) - bride's entrance, signing the register, leaving the church. (I've also heard it when guests are entering, prior to the bride's arrival.)

from the C of E website:
https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/article/hymns-for-your-wedding/

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/article/other-music-for-your-wedding/

Usually it's a combination - 2 or 3 hymns and other music at other points (usually classical) - bride's entrance, signing the register, leaving the church. (I've also heard it when guests are entering, prior to the bride's arrival.)

from the C of E website:
https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/article/hymns-for-your-wedding/

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/article/other-music-for-your-wedding/

Ok, when I mentioned W&K’s wedding music, I was not including music played before the bride’s entrance , but only music played during the actual service.

That sounds too imitative of the first Obama inauguration. Meghan will want nothing to sound remind people of some other event, I have realized. And AFAIK, Beyoncé has not been invited. Who will sing it if it is to be sung? ❓❓
Well if I was getting married I'd have Jane Mcdonald perform but I find that very unlikely here ;)

It will still be more formal than CP and Sofia’s wedding music, which was all pop music or traditional Lutheran hymns. Harry and Meghan’s wedding will also include a good deal of classical music, which, correct me if I am wrong, is not reallly common in Anglican services. William and Kate’s wedding music for example was mostly Anglican hymns and psalms ( ie liturgical music) or fanfares and patriotic hymns. I don’t remember classical pieces in their wedding.

For the British RF, I suppose Harry and Meghan’s wedding is as modern as it can get, and there will be pop elements with Stand by Me and This Little Light of Mine for example.

Since they are going to play classical, I assume they have room in there for Mendelssohn's Wedding March from A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (played at most weddings) and/or Wagner's "Here Comes The Bride" from LOHENGRIN (also played at most weddings.)?

Just asking.

Will go to bed in a little bit and wake up early. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just before I go to bed too, will Meghan sing God Save the Queen ? Of course she will, as it would be unacceptable if she didn’t , but I can’t help thinking that, as an American, it will feel awkward/ odd for her.

Just before I go to bed too, will Meghan sing God Save the Queen ? Of course she will, as it would be unacceptable if she didn’t , but I can’t help thinking that, as an American, it will feel awkward/ odd for her.

The Queen will be her grandmother-in-law. I don't think it will feel awkward/odd for her at all.

She will be British-American now, so it will be all right.

That makes sense...it would be much more familiar and comfortable with Anglicans et al. The Calvinists were probably horrified. My dad's people belong to a Church that was hyper-Cavlinist.

LaRae

Meghan went to Catholic school for high school. That one may have been her choice.

[emoji38] Perhaps! It was certainly out of place and definitely went on way too long.
It might seem out of place for a foreigner but is very common for members of the Church of Sweden. Incorporating gospel, pop music, folk songs etc has been done for the last 40-50 years. Many Swedish hymns and songs got a jazz or blues interpretation in the 50s and 60s so while they might sound modern they're actually very old.
Most Swedes aren't churchgoers and know of only a few hymns that they choose from and then often substitute them with popular songs that could be deemed spiritual in the way that for instance the love song "Bridge over troubled water" could also be seen as praising the Lord.
The officiating priest has to approve the choice of music.

That said I found Joyful a bit cringeworthy. A lot of nice things can be said about Swedes but we are a bit challenged in the rhythm department.

It might seem out of place for a foreigner but is very common for members of the Church of Sweden. Incorporating gospel, pop music, folk songs etc has been done for the last 40-50 years. Many Swedish hymns and songs got a jazz or blues interpretation in the 50s and 60s so while they might sound modern they're actually very old.
Most Swedes aren't churchgoers and know of only a few hymns that they choose from and then often substitute them with popular songs that could be deemed spiritual in the way that for instance the love song "Bridge over troubled water" could also be seen as praising the Lord.

That said I found Joyful a bit cringeworthy. A lot of nice things can be said about Swedes but we are a bit challenged in the rhythm department.

I'm being half-serious here, but do you guys incorporate ABBA into the services then, JR76?

LOL. ?

The Queen will be her grandmother-in-law. I don't think it will feel awkward/odd for her at all.

I read an article today that referred to Meghan as "American-born" and thought that was interesting. She's an immigrant to the UK now, so I think it's absolutely appropriate to sing "God Save the Queen."

I'm being half-serious here, but do you guys incorporate ABBA into the services then, JR76?

LOL. ?
You don't know how many times I've suffered through "I have a dream" being butchered on a church organ.
The lyrics are very spiritual though aren't they.

She will sing the song, why wouldn't she. Just hoped she practiced; it is super easy to go from "God save our gracious queen"... to.... "Sweet land of liberty". And then you're standing there like [emoji32][emoji33]

Very interesting! Thank you for explaining this! I didn’t mind the performance by the choir, I just found it became a bit like Chinese water torture after the 300th time I heard the same verse repeated as the guests slowwwwwwly exited the Church. :bang:

Glad I stay away from this thread until I get home from work. Way too much to digest on a coffee break. One more day of it, the big one :sad:

Surprised about Charles. I was hoping her mom or family/friend. But if it is who she is comfortable with, great. Just hope it was truly he choice :flowers:

The music sounds great. I kind of laugh though when people are calling it 'pop music' and comparing it to sister act. Yes, the songs are not classical/hyms, but they certainly aren't pop music either.

Though there are more modern versions, which may be classified as 'pop', the original 'Stand by me' was written and performed by a Soul/R&B singe who wrote it for a well known soul group. And Etta James is a gospel/R&B singer. This little light of mine was written as gospel music, and was written as a civil rights song. Both these songs take their inspiration from traditional psalms.

I find it a beautiful mix of classical/hym music/ and gospel music they have selected for the wedding.

Excited to hear Ave Maria, and the Schubert version. It was my Nana's favorite song and we played that version at her funeral.

I had trouble picking out what was the processional song. And I see a few people asking what it is. I realized what looked like it was a quote from Handel was actually the name and lyrics. I found this on youtube.

Great seeing Harry out with the crowds. Was so happy and relaxed. Sure he enjoyed one last night with his brother.

I was happy to see Meghan and her mom so happy at the hotel. I am wondering if (the hotel is booked up) if many of the out of town/out of guests might be staying there. Might be nice/make sense if some of her friends are there, especially Jessica and Benita's kids who are involved. It would be nice if Meghan had a night with the girls (dads keeping the kids) getting some last minute advice, she is last to get married. Or maybe just a quiet talk with mom who knows.

Now trying to decide if I am going to wake up at 4am and watch live, or wait and watch clips later. I know, wedding fanatic on here for months, and I might not watch. Well I will watch just when is question. I have just finished my fifth 10 hour shift (12 with commute) this week and tomorrow is my first chance to sleep in. And I don't even get the nice three day long weekend.

?
Link to the PDF of the Order of Service (just released).

Interestingly it has 'HRH Prince Henry of Wales' en 'Ms Meghan Markle' at the front page. Later on their names are read once in full but the vows use 'Harry' and 'Meghan' instead of full names.

The Order of Service sounds like it will be stunningly beautiful...most of the musical selections and hymns are exquisite. If it's true that the Prince of Wales selected much of it just as he did for the Cambridge wedding, we are in for a really beautiful liturgy.

I guess I will have to simply reserve judgment on the Ben E. King jingle until I have heard how it's performed.:cool:

The fact that that particular passage from the Song of Solomon will be read by Harry's aunt sends me into orbit. It's one of the most beautiful and romantic readings in all of Scripture, and it's simply perfect for a Spring wedding!

"....the winter is over and gone...arise my love and come away".....

Last edited:

Why would it be awkward for her? She has already sung the song at the Commonwealth Service.

That makes sense...it would be much more familiar and comfortable with Anglicans et al. The Calvinists were probably horrified. My dad's people belong to a Church that was hyper-Cavlinist.

LaRae

Yeah Anglicans (especially the High Church) won't be stressed .

Welsh Chapel and the Kirk members would have a stroke .

The Wee Free would think it was the end of days (when they started Sunday service on the ferries they were sure God was going to send a judgement upon them - and to be fair one the day when the first ferry was supposed to land on Lewis there was a lighting strike) as they only sing Psalms with no musician

Holy Moly, that's a beautiful archway. Someone might be getting fired for letting those photos be taken though.

Yes, don't open the link anyone, if you don't want to spoil the full impact of the actual wedding.

Thanks jacqui24.

Same with me - just seen one of the musical items - wish I didn't know, more of a suprise if I'd been in the dark until it happens in a few hours.

I've also seen some reports of Harry, Meghan, and even William, being in tears at the wedding rehearsal - ranging from "welled up" to "floods".

Said to be over the upheavals of the week, but - if true - maybe also in regards to a big moment in life and their Mum not being there perhaps for the brothers.

Seems to be spreading over the internet now if you want the details, but I don't want to link it as I think it is too personal.

But again if true - a trying week for them that we haven't perhaps got a real understanding of watching from the outside.

Yeah Anglicans (especially the High Church) won't be stressed .

Welsh Chapel and the Kirk members would have a stroke .

The Wee Free would think it was the end of days (when they started Sunday service on the ferries they were sure God was going to send a judgement upon them - and to be fair one the day when the first ferry was supposed to land on Lewis there was a lighting strike) as they only sing Psalms with no musician

So should we expect a backlash from Wales?

The floral arrangements look as if they are all exquisite. It's going to be breathtaking, I'm sure. Of course the Fail had to put in a whine about the cost of it all, conveniently forgetting that much of this would have come from the Royal estates.

The floral arrangements look as if they are all exquisite. It's going to be breathtaking, I'm sure. Of course the Fail had to put in a whine about the cost of it all, conveniently forgetting that much of this would have come from the Royal estates.

And isn't the Prince of Wales paying for it? Only security comes from public money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom