Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, Mr. Markle was announced he will be there. Second, he is no longer able to go due to several factors. Third, he wants to go and probably will go. Fourth, he finally won't go due to surgery. Damn, what a mess...So much drama and confusion...Poor Meghan, I hope she doesn't suffer much from this and wish her the best day for her wedding. I'm rooting for her and for Harry, and I'm sure most people are!

There is no office version from the Palace. They released that statement without knowing what the plans will be. They had no idea the initial TMZ report was coming, which was reported by multiple royal correspondents in describing the reaction when they ring the Palace. And honestly, the Palace is not going to let Tom Markle go to TMZ to announce this if they knew ahead of time. And have you considered what if he does have a heart surgery? I find comments like that quite mean and uncomfortable if the man really is that sick.

Somehow you are saying that Meghan isn't close to him, but concerned enough for him even though she's working with a palace to conspire on how to kick him out of her wedding. If I'm kicking you out of my wedding, I don't give a damn about your health at that point and I'm certainly not going to ask anyone to respect or understand you.

Having seen my father have heart surgery when I was still a teen, I fully know what it entails. In fact, nowadays, if done properly by a competent team , it is a procedure that is highly likely to be successful. As I said, I wish him the best and I expect Mr Markle to make a full recovery. I dont think there is anything insensitive about the Palace officially acknowledging that Mr Markle won't be at the wedding because of his condition. The alternative would be to postpone the wedding, which, as I said, is unlikely.

Most likely his health issues are stress induced. However, blaming his son for his supposed heart attack (he apparently claims that he got it because jr wrote a public letter to discourage Harry from marrying Harry) is another weird move. I just hope he gets his act back together both physically and mentally.

This family Somebody is The House of Pinocchio

Did you notice the last part of the newest article from TMZ, confirming the heart surgery? "Thomas also says he believes the open letter his son, Thomas Jr., wrote to Prince Harry discouraging him from marrying Meghan is what triggered his heart attack.".

Jr and Sr doesn't seem to be on speaking terms...

Oh good GOD! This man has no shame. IF he really has to undergo heart surgery tomorrow, LET KP ANNOUNCE IT!

His continued use of TMZ raises nothing but red flags. I also find it extremely suspect with all of the media staked outside his house no one got any pictures of him or an ambulence going to the hospital? The DM has several reporters on the ground in MX and LA and nothing??

Nothing makes sense with this man.

Having seen my father have heart surgery when I was still a teen, I fully know what it entails. In fact, nowadays, if done properly by a competent team , it is a procedure that is highly likely to be successful. As I said, I wish him the best and I expect Mr Markle to make a full recovery. I dont think there is anything insensitive about the Palace officially acknowledging that Mr Markle won't be at the wedding because of his condition. The alternative would be to postpone the wedding, which, as I said, is unlikely.

Yes, my point is that you have to have personal experience to really know the details of what heart surgery entails. I never said anything about insensitivity, in fact I was saying that they should just release a statement saying he wouldn't be coming due to illness and change the plans before this came out. My point was that somehow this makes him seem more sympathetic worthy if this was just a cover up. I'm not so quick to jump onto that bandwagon. It's a difficult situation, and if someone happens to fall this sick without people to support them, some do act out. It's unfortunate, and it's still wrong, but at least I'm not going to be as harsh as I was.

Look, family relationships are complex. Saying she's closer to her mother because they get along better or share more things in common is different than people flat out saying she's not close to her father, which is what's happening here.

So if any of us here is closer to one parent than another, doesn't that mean we aren't close to the other parent? That's just not how it works. Evaluate Meghan's relationship with her mother based on that relationship, and evaluate her relationship with her father based on that relationship.

That's what people have been doing. Of course someone can be close to both parents but it also a real option that someone is not that close but still cares about that family member.

Fact: she did not introduce Harry in person to her dad - while Harry for example made sure to introduce Meghan in person to his aunts. So, those are the actions on which the evaluation of Meghan's not so close relationship with her father are based. Talking to the tabloids instead of your own daughter confirms these inklings.

I guess the main issue is about definitions. In yours the category 'close' seems to range from sharing most details of your life with someone to being in touch once in a while and fine with the other not getting to know your future husband. In my definition that second one falls in a different category; I'd probably even have a category in between: close (Meghan and her mom) - good - fine/ok (Meghan and her dad, hopefully) - not so good/troubled - non-existent (Meghan and her siblings).

I'm not trying to say he is totally innocent for releasing through TMZ and the confusion it has called, but what if Mr. Markle just doesn't know the protocol. I mean he doesn't seem very connected to all the inter-workings in London so maybe he thought he should go about releasing info like a celebrity would, through a high-profile outlet. Just throwing out ideas.

Did you notice the last part of the newest article from TMZ, confirming the heart surgery? "Thomas also says he believes the open letter his son, Thomas Jr., wrote to Prince Harry discouraging him from marrying Meghan is what triggered his heart attack.".

Jr and Sr doesn't seem to be on speaking terms...

They aren't. I believe someone from the family has already confirmed that. They've had issues for years. The reason given was Tom Jr.'s substance abuse problems.

There is no doubt in my mind that the antics of his older children and the stress of everything leading up to the wedding has caused a lot of stress on Mr. Markle and in turn, affected his heart and his health. Of course, the Happy Meals and KFC that he seems to enjoy didn't help matters either.

One of the blessings of all this is that Mr. Markle is exactly where he needs to be to get the problem taken care of. In the long run, it may have even saved his life if he had continued on and ignoring the warning signs.

From what I know of this type of surgery, its very commonplace, easily done and he'll soon be on the road to recovery. He'll definitely not be in any shape or form able to travel to the UK for the wedding. Its just not possible.

Oh good GOD! This man has no shame. IF he really has to undergo heart surgery tomorrow, LET KP ANNOUNCE IT!

His continued use of TMZ raises nothing but red flags. I also find it extremely suspect with all of the media staked outside his house no one got any pictures of him or an ambulence going to the hospital? The DM has several reporters on the ground in MX and LA and nothing??

That's what I don't understand. He knows the trouble working with the paps caused, yet he keeps going to TMZ and spilling the family business. He's making things worse. If he really wanted to do what's right by Meghan, he would stop calling up the tabloids and ask KP to release any further statements about his health/his attendance at the wedding.

What a mess this is....I wish KP could of got ahold of this yesterday and put the official statement out ...all the drama could of been avoided.

LaRae

That's what people have been doing. Of course someone can be close to both parents but it also a real option that someone is not that close but still cares about that family member.

Fact: she did not introduce Harry in person to her dad - while Harry for example made sure to introduce Meghan in person to his aunts. So, those are the actions on which the evaluation of Meghan's not so close relationship with her father are based. Talking to the tabloids instead of your own daughter confirms these inklings.

I guess the main issue is about definitions. In yours the category 'close' seems to range from sharing most details of your life with someone to being in touch once in a while and fine with the other not getting to know your future husband. In my definition that second one falls in a different category; I'd probably even have a category in between: close (Meghan and her mom) - good - fine/ok (Meghan and her dad, hopefully) - not so good/troubled - non-existent (Meghan and her siblings).

Did Harry pop into Mexico and I didn't know? Or even Meghan? Meghan met Harry's aunts while they were in the same country. And we do know that Meghan loves her father and is in contact with him (maybe with the exception of the last few days) and is close enough to WANT him to walk her down the aisle as she marries the man she loves. And Harry, knowing Meghan and her familial relations better than all of us, felt that he wants to ask both Tom and Doria's blessing before proposing to their daughter. And not meeting someone doesn't mean you don't know them. Especially with today's technology. I've not seen my parents in person in years, doesn't mean we aren't close. We know the things that are going on in each other's lives.

Last edited:
Prince Henrik (RIP): No one will ever come close to my accomplishment of muddying up certain internal, sensitive matters inside one of the great royal families of Europe.

Thomas Markle, Sr: Hold my beer.

I love the pictures of the Sorrento lemons. And its the metaphor for what Meghan and Harry are up against this week----I hope they make the sweetest of lemonade from this stupid kerfuffle that landed at their doorstep.

I lift my glass in advance to the bride and groom.

I haven't seen my father in three years. And it's not unusual for us. We just happen to lead different lives. Doesn't mean we aren't close or have contact.

Bottom line is, after all of this blew up. Meghan and Harry are still asking for respect and understanding for her father. You simply don't do that if you aren't that close.

Sure you do, it's called saving face. They have no choice, anything less would be seen as callous to the media hyenas.

I don't know why people keep bringing their personal experiences into this discussion, it's not in any way relevant imo.

Sure you do, it's called saving face. They have no choice, anything less would be seen as callous to the media hyenas.

I don't know why people keep bringing their personal experiences into this discussion, it's not in any way relevant imo.

Actually, that's not true. KP could have left it as this is a personal moment for Meghan and leave it at that. NO reasonable minds would blame the bride for being upset and disinvite her father after Monday.

I agree that Harry not meeting Markle Sr was strange. I've thought as much since they said it in the interview.

But, more and more I believe that was a choice made by Tom, not made by Harry or Meghan. Tom has shown he has no issues going to LA, owns a property in LA and was in LA for the holidays in 2016. Harry was rumored to have visited Doria in LA. So if MX was an issue for security reasons, why not meet in LA? And for the record, where he lives in MX is perfectly safe. I hate seeing the UK tabs talk so badly of that region.

I can't imagine someone like Harry, who is keen on family and has been close to previous partner's families AND is seemingly close to Doria, not trying to meet the father of the woman he loves.

So, all signs point IMO to Tom Sr ultimately being the one who didn't want to make it work.

Yes, my point is that you have to have personal experience to really know the details of what heart surgery entails.

From what has been quoted as Mr. Markle stating, the procedure he will be undergoing is even performed as an outpatient in a lot of cases. It all depends on the person's overall health.

I'm sure there are people here that are more familiar with the procedure and some that work in the medical profession that could provide more details than I can.

https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/car...ions-treatments/coronary-angioplasty-stenting

I wonder if this communication between Mr Markle and TMZ really happens.
Is TMZ a reliable source?

I agree. Here is a man who’s daughter is about to marry into the Most famous royal family in the world. He is allegedly in the hospital facing major heart surgery and who is his spokesperson? TMZ. Nothing adds up here and it doesn’t bode well for the future if he counts TMZ as confidants.

If they are putting in a stint it usually means a 75% or greater blockage (close to someone who had this done two weeks ago)

If this is what is really happening with him, its not major surgery but also not something you would follow a few days later with a transatlantic flight chaser.

I agree. Here is a man who’s daughter is about to marry into the Most famous royal family in the world. He is allegedly in the hospital facing major heart surgery and who is his spokesperson? TMZ. Nothing adds up here and it doesn’t bode well for the future if he counts TMZ as confidants.

Hate to say it texankitcat but MONEY counts

If they are putting in a stint it usually means a 75% or greater blockage (close to someone who had this done two weeks ago)

If this is what is really happening with him, its not major surgery but also not something you would follow a few days later with a transatlantic flight chaser.

Yes, placing a stent doesn’t really qualify as heart surgery, which is actually rarely performed these days. It is a relatively common procedure by current standards, though not without risk. No reason to overdramatize the situation however, or exaggerate the significance of Mr Marklr not being able to attend the wedding.

Maybe the Palace has not released any official statement yet because they are checking the facts first.

Last edited:
Actually, that's not true. KP could have left it as this is a personal moment for Meghan and leave it at that. NO reasonable minds would blame the bride for being upset and disinvite her father after Monday.

Sure they could have been silent, and Meghan could be rightfully peeved and disinvite him. And then, when he pops up with a 'heart attack' the next day, then what?

They spoke on his behalf to try to diffuse the situation, damage control. It didn't work, but there really wasn't a viable option. It doesn't tell me a thing about how close they may or may not be. It's a pat response, possibly even not thought up by Meghan & Harry at all. I can see a bunch of palace people writing up a statement, running it by HM, Charles, H&M and then sending it out. Nothing cozy and caring about it imo.

I can understand not having all them. Especially the more socialite party people of that group. Some of them would go to the opening of an envelope for publicity.

We discussed that topic a while ago when it transpired that Lady Amelia and Lady Marina had not been invited. As I wrote back then, it would be odd if they had not been invited, but other Kent and Gloucester children/ grandchildren had. Since none were invited, I think it is OK.

I assume Princess Margaret’s children and grandchildren are still invited though, are they not ? And , of course, the senior Kents and Gloucesters (King George V ‘s grandchiidren) will be there too.

Sure they could have been silent, and Meghan could be rightfully peeved and disinvite him. And then, when he pops up with a 'heart attack' the next day, then what?

They spoke on his behalf to try to diffuse the situation, damage control. It didn't work, but there really wasn't a viable option. It doesn't tell me a thing about how close they may or may not be. It's a pat response, possibly even not thought up by Meghan & Harry at all. I can see a bunch of palace people writing up a statement, running it by HM, Charles, H&M and then sending it out. Nothing cozy and caring about it imo.

And then nothing. Not commenting on personal matters is nothing new for the Palace.

Are you saying that the Palace is releasing statements on behalf of Harry and Meghan on personal matters without input from them? It amazes me how far some will stretch to make it seem that Meghan doesn’t care for her father as much as official records, whether previously from Meghan herself or now Palace, says.

Yes, placing a stent doesn’t really qualify as heart surgery, which is actually rarely performed these days. It is a relatively common procedure by current standards, though not without risk. No reason to overdramatize the situation however, or exaggerate the significance of Mr Marklr not being able to attend the wedding.

Maybe the Palace has not released any official statement yet because they are checking the facts first.

I used to date a cardiac nurse, the doctor he worked with was one of the first doctors to use them, this is how he explained it to me. They make about an inch long incision in your groin area to access the femoral artery. They insert a tiny scope with the stent on the end of a long wire, they fish that wire into the blockage using ultrasound imaging to guide the way. It's a very routine procedure anymore, and yes it can even be outpatient. It's not really heart surgery.

And then nothing. Not commenting on personal matters is nothing new for the Palace.

Are you saying that the Palace is releasing statements on behalf of Harry and Meghan on personal matters without input from them? It amazes me how far some will stretch to make it seem that Meghan doesn’t care for her father as much as official records, whether previously from Meghan herself or now Palace, says.

Go back and read my post, I never said they had no input, I said it may not have been their idea in the first place to make a statement. I also think that if Meghan had told her father to stay away and he came up with a heart attack the next day he would have sung to the rafters how his daughter gave him a heart attack. And then nothing my foot, the media would have torn them to shreds.

It amazes me how purposefully people misconstrue a very simple statement, I guess we're both just amazed.

Last edited by a moderator:
We discussed that topic a while ago when it transpired that Lady Amelia and Lady Marina had not been invited. As I wrote back then, it would be odd if they had not been invited, but other Kent and Gloucester children/ grandchildren had. Since none were invited, I think it is OK.

I assume Princess Margaret’s children and grandchildren are still invited though, are they not ? And , of course, the senior Kents and Gloucesters (King George V ‘s grandchiidren) will be there too.

I’d be very surprised if Princess Margaret’s children and grandchildren aren’t invited. They’ve celebrated Christmases with the Queen and her family. Even if they aren’t as close as Harry and his cousins, they cross paths. I imagine the only Kent and Gloucester grandchildren that will be invited, if any, would be those that know Harry well (if any of them do). At some point, inviting third cousin might be a little much given this is a more scaled down wedding at a smaller venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom