Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly you love to 'paint it so'.. the reality is that people adhere to, and are fond of their familiar traditions, and that applies to you, as much as it does to me and other members of the Church of England. And there is NOTHING wrong with that..

But they aren't foregoing that. They will have elements of that as well, but they will include other tradition as well. It can be inclusive of both, but there is some sense, based on the cake reaction, that there is a group that just doesn't want to include any things that aren't.

if this doesn't happen in the Churches there consider yourself fortunate

This unwelcome 'import' has arrived here in the last 20 years,but I find dropping to ones knees [as though 'in Prayer'] is a HIGHLY successful 'avoidance tactic'...

All of this for me too! :flowers: I love how intentional and inclusive they are being. I am so happy part of Meghan's heritage will be apart of the ceremony.

Although I am guessing they will skip the broom lol.

More's the pity. :lol:

Clearly you love to 'paint it so'.. the reality is that people adhere to, and are fond of their familiar traditions, and that applies to you, as much as it does to me and other members of the Church of England. And there is NOTHING wrong with that..

But all the music is traditional with one small gospel choir. Are the traditions so flimsy that the addition of one gospel choir will topple them over? There are so many more important things to be concerned about.

This unwelcome 'import' has arrived here in the last 20 years,but I find dropping to ones knees [as though 'in Prayer'] is a HIGHLY successful 'avoidance tactic'...

I clasp my hands together and close my eyes/bow head. If there was a Latin Rite Mass anywhere near us that's where we'd be going. I live in a heavily Evangelical (not Protestant ...Baptists, Assembly of God, Pentacostal etc) area. Not much in the way of 'High' Church options. I think the Episcopalians have even caved.

LaRae

I don't think anyone will be dropping ob their knees, so no need to worry about that. The gospel choir will most likely sing one song, I think even the most devoted traditionalist can manage through that, and perhaps even enjoy it.

I think Bebe and Cece Winans "Lost without You" would be wonderful, because it sounds like a love song, but is very spiritual. i would cry if they played something like that.

If they jump the broom, I'll have a mild heart attack.

I clasp my hands together and close my eyes/bow head. If there was a Latin Rite Mass anywhere near us that's where we'd be going. I live in a heavily Evangelical (not Protestant ...Baptists, Assembly of God, Pentacostal etc) area. Not much in the way of 'High' Church options. I think the Episcopalians have even caved.

LaRae

Dropping to knees, saying "Father" every five seconds during a prayer, and hands levitating for any reason than laying of hands are my pet peeves.

Back on topic, I bet Meghan and Harry go with a contemporary gospel choice.

My guess is they won't do a contemporary gospel song, but something older, like a spiritual perhaps. There are some really beautiful ones. Maybe that will be acceptable. Seriously, it will be one song. Everybody will live. Everything else will be Church of England top to bottom.

Weddings are about two people joining together. Two. Not one person joining another where everything goes in one direction towards the more "important" person. People might have their individual likes and dislikes about certain aspects of the wedding (no one has to like the cake or the music or whatever) but we should expect and want and welcome this wedding having aspects of both Harry and Meghan. I suspect the wedding will still be LARGELY adherent to traditional Church of England weddings. But, it doesn't have to be 100% or even 99.9% that way. Meghan is an equal partner, and it's as much her wedding as his - and as much their wedding as the public's.

Also, considering that she's going to have to do a lot of things their way from now on, I think it's a small thing if she gets a small part of the wedding (one day) the way she would like.

I don't personally care for the jumping the broom (although I understand the meaning and history behind it) and I know they aren't going to do that. But, the wicked part of me would cheer now if they did it.

Last edited:
All I know is that if they decide to include an operatic aria, I'm heading to the kitchen for a snack.

There are going to be things we like and things we don't like with this wedding but then again, its not our wedding. At least we have the option to grab a snack or make a cup of tea. The Queen has to sit through it whether she likes it or not. ;)

Dropping to knees, saying "Father" every five seconds during a prayer, and hands levitating for any reason than laying of hands are my pet peeves.

Back on topic, I bet Meghan and Harry go with a contemporary gospel choice.

Don't even get me started! :flowers:

LaRae

All I know is that if they decide to include an operatic aria, I'm heading to the kitchen for a snack.

There are going to be things we like and things we don't like with this wedding but then again, its not our wedding. At least we have the option to grab a snack or make a cup of tea. The Queen has to sit through it whether she likes it or not. ;)

I don't know about you guys, but I plan on being buzzed enough on champagne at that point that I will not care and just be happy about them getting married.:lol:

Is because Meghan’s biracial, a gospel choir is part of her heritage? She didn’t grow up in a Baptist or black church.

Has she ever stated she likes gospel music?

This is the music from the church Meghan went to as a child, where she met the boy she had her first kiss with at the church’s summer camp, and the church her mother likely still attends, or at least was still attending a few years ago. Gospel music is what Meghan grew up with, and what her mothers family likely grew up with. It’s a part of Meghans heritage that I’m sure she’s proud of and I’m so glad she’s including it.

The Queen has to sit through it whether she likes it or not.

Poor love, she is MORE than used to such 'Purgatory'.. ANYTHING will be better than having 'Shaggy' thrusting his crotch in her direction, as at last weeks Birthday bash...

All I know is that if they decide to include an operatic aria, I'm heading to the kitchen for a snack. ;)

It is possible, because they also included a female soprano in the program. And there will be also the 19-year-old cello soloist. None of those elements are typical of a traditional Anglican service, where music is sung basically by the usual mixed children/adult male choir and the congregation joining in for hymns. The gospel choir is not the only "innovation" then.

Last edited:
Clears throat.... White girl choir member here/church and community choirs.
Alto. I have had the privilege of singing "Total Praise" on several occasions, and if you are a person of faith, the mere singing of it takes you to another place. It is not a handclapping piece but rather a soaring, reverent statement of belief.

If this wedding choir sings this piece in St George's Chapel, I may expire from the sheer beauty of it. Done right, it is just that powerful.

Weddings are about two people joining together. Two. Not one person joining another where everything goes in one direction towards the more "important" person. People might have their individual likes and dislikes about certain aspects of the wedding (no one has to like the cake or the music or whatever) but we should expect and want and welcome this wedding having aspects of both Harry and Meghan. I suspect the wedding will still be LARGELY adherent to traditional Church of England weddings. But, it doesn't have to be 100% or even 99.9% that way. Meghan is an equal partner, and it's as much her wedding as his - and as much their wedding as the public's.

Also, considering that she's going to have to do a lot of things their way from now on, I think it's a small thing if she gets a small part of the wedding (one day) the way she would like.

I don't personally care for the jumping the broom (although I understand the meaning and history behind it) and I know they aren't going to do that. But, the wicked part of me would cheer now if they did it.

This:previous:

Personally, I have always loved the jumping the broom...that is also another perfect way to honor one's ancestors (if one is so inclined) who were never given the benefit or choice of having a legal wedding. Its not for everyone and totally a personal choice.

Personally, I have always loved the jumping the broom...that is also another perfect way to honor one's ancestors (if one is so inclined) who were never given the benefit or choice of having a legal wedding. Its not for everyone and totally a personal choice.

I did this with my hubby, who is not AA, and we used a broom that had been used for other weddings of family and friends.

Now I'm going to amuse myself thinking about what a royal jumping broom would look like. :eek:

The wedding will be beautiful, because this couple is pouring their heart and soul into their wedding. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the festivities. It’s a blessing that we get a chance to enjoy a very joyous event.

Would someone explain 'jumping the Broom [the action/significance and history] please ?
Is it part of the Ceremony or at the reception ?

We don't have it here, so i've never seen or heard of it until now.

I have always been torn on that tradition. I know and appreciate its place in our history, but it has always made me feel slightly uncomfortable. I can't explain why. That being said I've seen it be a beautiful addition to many a ceremony. But I'm willing to bet money we will not be seeing that particular tradition at this wedding.

Would someone explain 'jumping the Broom [the action/significance and history] please ?
Is it part of the Ceremony or at the reception ?

We don't have it here, so i've never seen or heard of it until now.

During slavery, in addition to not being allowed to read or write, slaves were not allowed to legally marry. When they pledged their loves to each other in a "marriage like ceremony" at the conclusion, they would jump the broom at the conclusion of the ceremony. When African Americans were allowed to legally marry..this practice fell out of custom.

Within the last thirty years are so, this has become very popular among young African Americans...following the conclusion of the wedding ceremony...they jump the broom. The broom (and its a not a normal broom) is usually decorated with flowers and/or ribbons.

In the US, slaves were not allowed to have legal wedding ceremonies, so many of our ancestors "jumped the broom" to symbolize the couple's leap into married life. This became more popular again starting in the 70s, and many couples where at least one partner is black will incorporate it into the wedding ceremony.

We had my maid of honor take charge of the broom. She placed it on the steps leading away from the altar, and we just kind of stepped over it. I'm pretty sure this is actually a European tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_broom

In the US, slaves were not allowed to have legal wedding ceremonies, so many of our ancestors "jumped the broom" to symbolize the couple's leap into married life. This became more popular again starting in the 70s, and many couples where at least one partner is black will incorporate it into the wedding ceremony.

We had my maid of honor take charge of the broom. She placed it on the steps leading away from the altar, and we just kind of stepped over it. I'm pretty sure this is actually a European tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_broom

Yes, I believe it has European origins as well. According to Wikipedia, it fell into practice again after Roots. Like many religions, cultures...a lot of things are lost thru the years and some how a historian/author brings it to the attention of the masses and just like that its revived.

Like I said, its not for everyone. And I don't see it happening this May.

Last edited:
A gospel choir. As if I didn’t see that coming from a mile away. Should be an interesting wedding.

I have to say, I certainly hope this wasn't intended in the way in which it comes across. I'm going to try to give the benefit of the doubt, here, and hope that it simply didn't translate well as some things don't over text/chat. Though I suspect that it was intended exactly as it came across and that's terribly, terribly sad and disappointing.

Me too. Not because I would have an issue with it, because personally I think it is great. However, gospel music and that style of worship has always been looked down on by some who feel it is "primitive" and not how "real Christians" comport themselves.

You mean White Christians?

I plan to jump the broom at my wedding, but I do not see it happening at M/H's wedding but its all fun to think about the different traditions that can be incorporated!

Anyway, I plan on being pretty juiced on Mimomsas so everything about this wedding will be a celebration by that point.

But for real, the inclusion of the gospel choir has truly made my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom