Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the better term for H&M's wedding would be that its a family wedding rather than a state or semi-state wedding. Its definitely not private as its to be broadcast throughout the world with the bride and groom also inviting the public (in a way) to participate in their day.

ITV seems to really be going all out in its coverage of the wedding. What I really liked is that they're going to be having a live feed from Sentebale in Lesotho. To me, this being one of Harry's patronages that is closest to his heart, ITV, in its own way, is bringing the entire Sentebale community into direct participation in the wedding.

From the article:

"Rageh Omaar will exclusively join Sentebale, the charity co-founded by Prince Harry, for traditional wedding day celebrations in Lesotho. Rageh will be live from the ‘Mamohato Children’s Centre where he will be joined by beneficiaries and staff many of whom have met and been supported by Prince Harry during his numerous visits to the country."

I love it! :D

Will be interesting to see what the Gospel Choir sings. If it's a good one with good songs they are amazing.

LaRae

I couldn't open the link, but gospel choir ? I hope they don't turn it into something like Carl Philip and Sofia's wedding !

I couldn't open the link either as it said the page not found. I do have to admit that hearing the words "gospel choir" did bring a specific song to mind that I think reflects both Harry and Meghan and hope its the song the choir does. Here's a YouTube video of the song done by the 100 Voices of Gospel for the 2016 TV show "Britain's Got Talent".

I do think that both Harry and Meghan have quite a bright little light to shine on this world. :D

I couldn't open the link, but gospel choir ? I hope they don't turn it into something like Carl Philip and Sofia's wedding !

I've never listened to Karen Gibson and The Kingdom Choir (the gospel choir Harry and Meghan have chosen) but the gospel choirs I have heard have always been very spiritual, uplifting, and moving. One more thing to look forward to.

Neither of the links are working for me, either.

I love the idea of having a gospel choir, and am looking forward to seeing the rest of the music program.

It seems like you have to go directly from the main page.

https://www.royal.uk/royalwedding

Click on the music one. It is all there.

Thank you!

The music should be wonderful--but I never expected anything else. When you have access to the best in the country, there wouldn't be any excuse for anything less.

Well in the US gospel choirs (and gospel music) are heavily associated with African American culture and churches. While Meghan didn't seem to grow up particularly religious, maybe the gospel choir is a nod to the African American side of her heritage/upbringing?

I am very excited about the music announced. It should make for a lovely, uplifting ceremony. And having grown up in a black church and on gospel music, it is just as sacred and revered as any other religious type of music. I've been laying low for a while, but the more new information I hear about the ceremony the more excited I get. I also love that they are giving a young, talented cellist of color the opportunity to share his talent. What an amazing opportunity for him. They are really ensuring that they show off UK talent.

Sigh, I know some folks will (and are already)clutch their collective pearls at the gospel choir bit or scoff, but I for one am THRILLED! As someone who grew up with gospel music, I think its a lovely and genuine touch. Bring them royals the black church Meghan!

I thought it weird at Carl Philips wedding but makes perfect sense for Harry and Meghan's given her background and the background of her family/mom.

Last edited:
I am very excited about the music announced. It should make for a lovely, uplifting ceremony. And having grown up in a black church and on gospel music, it is just as sacred and revered as any other religious type of music. I've been laying low for a while, but the more new information I hear about the ceremony the more excited I get. I also love that they are giving a young, talented cellist of color the opportunity to share his talent. What an amazing opportunity for him. They are really ensuring that they show off UK talent.

All of this for me too! :flowers: I love how intentional and inclusive they are being. I am so happy part of Meghan's heritage will be apart of the ceremony.

Although I am guessing they will skip the broom lol.

Sigh, I know some folks will (and are already) probably clutch their collective pearls at the gospel choir bit or scoff, but I for one am THRILLED! As someone who grew up with gospel music, I think its a lovely and genuine touch. Bring them royals the black church Meghan!

I thought it weird at Carl Philips wedding but makes perfect sense for Harry and Meghan's given her background and the background of her family/mom.

I agree - I saw the KP tweet about this this morning and it brightened my day considerably!

I got even more excited - it's going to be a lovely mix of music at this wedding and I can't wait.

I hope they sing "Total Praise". I might faint if they do. That song gets me every time.

Quite frankly, I've been very pleased with a lot of decisions they made about this wedding. You can tell that not only is this a royal wedding, but it focuses on including both of their backgrounds and not just the royal part (and yes, I know there were other weddings that had elements from the non-royal as well, so please don't go into defensive mode). From the invitations using American ink printed on British paper to including an organization that Meghan has worked with pre-engagement to inclusion of gospel music, there is a very good balance and showcases both of them.

And I think part of me is happier here because Meghan isn't British, so there was this fear in the back of my mind that some might feel like going overboard to overlook her background in order to get people to accept her. But I'm glad the family seems to have chosen to honor her background as well.

Last edited:
Is because Meghan’s biracial, a gospel choir is part of her heritage? She didn’t grow up in a Baptist or black church.

Has she ever stated she likes gospel music?

Is because Meghan’s biracial, a gospel choir is part of her heritage? She didn’t grow up in a Baptist or black church.

Has she ever stated she likes gospel music?

Baptist churches are the only places that play gospel music? Huh. I need to go and call my childhood Methodist pastor for violating this rule. Oh and the pastor of this non-denominational church I went to when I lived in CA.

And we actually don't know that much about Meghan's life with her black relatives - they've been remarkably discreet, save one.

Last edited:
I agree - I saw the KP tweet about this this morning and it brightened my day considerably!

I got even more excited - it's going to be a lovely mix of music at this wedding and I can't wait.

I hope they sing "Total Praise". I might faint if they do. That song gets me every time.

The choice of performers is interesting, but it suggests that they are departing somewhat from the traditional Anglican choir music which we heard at William and Kate’s wedding for example to have a more diverse mix of music. I am sure it will be nice, but Meghan will be probably criticized (again) for deviating from English tradition ( I.e. wedding cake 2.0)

We can assume she likes gospel since she is including it in her wedding, right?

And yes, being biracial and AA does make gospel music pretty foundational to our heritage. We know Meghan attended church with her AA grandmother when she was younger so perhaps there are hymns from that time period that stuck with her? We also know she went to church many Sundays in college with her AA friend whose father was the pastor of a church so maybe she also enjoyed gospel there. :flowers:

Also, black baptist is not the only gospel tradition. I attend a Catholic church in DC that is gospel music centered. Our choir is actually rather famous as one of the leading black gospel Catholic choirs.

Last edited:

I agree Total Praise is such a moving song.

We can assume she likes gospel since she is including it in her wedding, right?

And yes, being biracial and AA does make gospel music pretty foundational to our heritage. We know Meghan attended church with her AA grandmother when she was younger so perhaps there are hymns from that time period that stuck with her? We also know she went to church many Sundays in college with her AA friend whose father was the pastor of a predominantly black church. :flowers:

Also, black baptist is not the only gospel tradition. I attend a Catholic church in DC that is gospel music centered. Our choir is actually rather famous as one of the leading black gospel Catholic choirs.

Ooh - I figured she probably attended church with black relatives as a child, but didn't know she'd gone to church with an AA friend at a baptist church as a kid?

Again - wishing and hoping for "Total Praise" at the ceremony.

I just asked Alexa to play "Total Praise" and had a religious experience at my desk, lol.

As a close friend of Meghan's college days was a pastor's daughter and Meghan would spend time with them. She may well have heard baptist music there. And as an Australian Methodist I've been to several gospel concerts in Melbourne and in the US over the years and have enjoyed them.

Charles had a hand in picking much of the music for the Cambridge wedding. I see his hand in the choice of baroque music for this one! Interesting that the young cellist was rung personally by Meghan and asked to play.

Last edited:
Baptist churches are the only places that play gospel music? Huh. I need to go and call my childhood Methodist pastor for violating this rule. Oh and the pastor of this non-denominational church I went to when I lived in CA.

And we actually don't know that much about Meghan's life with her black relatives - they've been remarkably discreet, save one.

I'm not sure why people would have a problem with a gospel church? The church is from England? We do know that MM and her mother attended the Agape Church in LA and their style of music is gospel.

Funny thing about the mother's side, The British press did all they could to call them gang bangers, yet their side is the most discreet. I wonder if they behaved like the Markles would they be given a platform to bully Meghan.....would they be welcomed with open arms to embarrass Meghan on her wedding day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom