Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Harry traded an Obamas invite for the ability to exclude all officials from the wedding including the British PM, then I'm going to score a win for Harry in that negotiation. Well played.

I doubt Harry traded anything.
I don't think there was any intention to invite the Obamas.
Harry and Meghan probably knew that would be open to a lot of media speculation and detract from their enjoyment of their wedding day.

One of the advantages in his position is that he has a lot more freedom to do as he pleases.

I'm glad they announced, social media was spreading lies and using the wedding for political leverage. This ensures less political coverage and less problems with security and hopefully they can enjoy their day.

I'm glad they announced, social media was spreading lies and using the wedding for political leverage. This ensures less political coverage and less problems with security and hopefully they can enjoy their day.

Yeah, there were a lot of 'confirmations' on twitter, that Obamas were invited Trump wasn't etc. I'm glad that all is cleared now, and there is no political power play around this wedding.

Yeah, there were a lot of 'confirmations' on twitter, that Obamas were invited Trump wasn't etc. I'm glad that all is cleared now, and there is no political power play around this wedding.

The latest lie was that the Clintons and the Obamas where invited. Which would have been amazing, but given this awful political environment would have turned the wedding into political theater and opened up the wedding to be a battle ground between the extremes on both side.

I think he and Meghan would’ve like to have invited the Obama’s, but just decided to keep politicians from the guest list and just focus on family, friends and charitable representation.

I’m sure the Obama’s understand. They will be meeting up with the couple at some point. Especially at the Invictus Games.

I understand not inviting a huge number of senior politicians.

Still, it's a little weird the Prime Minister is not attending. I mean, I wouldn't expect the PM to go to the wedding of Eugenie but Harry is different.

Invite the PM then people would expect Corbyn to be invited, and also Nicola Sturgeon, all with spouses and people from the NI assembly, etc etc.

I understand not inviting a huge number of senior politicians.

Still, it's a little weird the Prime Minister is not attending. I mean, I wouldn't expect the PM to go to the wedding of Eugenie but Harry is different.

I imagine the PM should be fine with it since it avoids any political problems in the future. Including all political figures puts everyone on the same ground.

Harry is different.

Harry is NO different.. SO far down the line of Succession [now], as to be unimportant in the political 'scheme of things', as are his cousins.

I think the US Presidents (all of them irrespective of party) tend to come with more security baggage and fuss than the royal family prefer - i think this was an easy and welcome decision

Invite the PM then people would expect Corbyn to be invited, and also Nicola Sturgeon, all with spouses and people from the NI assembly, etc etc.

Was the PM invited to Edward and Sophie's wedding ?

At the time of their engagement Edward and Sophie said they didn't want their wedding turned into a State occasion. They requested that there be no ceremonial or military involvement, as they wanted informality. I think that no hats were required for the female guests but the QM wore one.

At the time of their engagement Edward and Sophie said they didn't want their wedding turned into a State occasion. They requested that there be no ceremonial or military involvement, as they wanted informality. I think that no hats were required for the female guests but the QM wore one.
I also think the no hats was because the ladies wore long gowns rather than day dresses.
The Queen wore a feathery headpiece with her evening gown.

Last edited:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Sophie Grégoire Trudeau will not be attending the wedding, PMO says, offering Prince Harry and Meghan Markle congratulations, "wish them the best." #cdnpoli

Via CTV News

Well, if they weren't invited naturally they won't be attending.

I think some people were speculating that he’d attend as a ‘friend’ of the couple.

Well, there are 600 other guests. I'm sure Harry and Meghan aren't crying into their soup.

The couple sound as if they're going to meet up with the Obamas later, perhaps in the US. That should be a great get together.

While I would’ve liked to see some familiar faces like the Trudeaus and Obama’s, I understand the no politician policy. This way, the focus will solely be on the bride and groom rather than people with ulterior motive drumming up speculations about some being invited while others not due to political affiliation. Or potential petulant behavior on Twitter that would cause diplomatic concerns. I’m sure the couple could’ve liked to include people that they are friends with, like Trudeau’s and Obama’s, but there was no way to entirely eliminate speculations from certain segments by inviting them. I know some doubt the friendship between Harry and Obama’s, but at 600 people, I’m sure there are a lot more people that Harry has had less interactions with. And if Theresa May is invited, that would mean other must invites would have to go out. Like the reporting, space at St. George is limited.

I’m glad Harry and Meghan are following their own rule book on this. We’ll get pomp and pageantry with the military involvement, but no politicians that can potentially be a distraction to the point of the wedding, which is two people joining together in holy matrimony.

Well, there are 600 other guests. I'm sure Harry and Meghan aren't crying into their soup.

The couple sound as if they're going to meet up with the Obamas later, perhaps in the US. That should be a great get together.

Eh, doubt it’ll be in US in the current political climate here. More likely if Obama goes to an IG game in Australia like he did in Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing to stop them from having a private get-together with anyone the couple are friends or friendly with, outside of the wedding and reception.

Reminds me of other weddings where they decided not to invite politicians even if they are good friends to just keep it out of the wedding. I believe both Chelsea Clinton and Jenna Bush Hager had this rule. Even though the Bush family and Clinton family are very close to each other, neither was invited to the other’s child’s wedding.

I'm good with this. Less drama. No twisted narratives to suit whatever agenda they got. Good for Harry and Meghan.

I'm glad that all political figures and people are off the guest list. Smart choice.

I think that anyone who has a problem with supporting charities should set up their own supplemental list of charities and personally support them in M&H's name. Problem solved.

But why would you support a charity in someone else's name? That is the cultural thing that I don't get... I know it is common in the States (and apparently in more countries) but I still don't really understand the point of it.

Nor do I understand why people would want to give this couple (or most other royal couples) a wedding gift; a card to wish them well makes some sense but sending gifts to a couple that clearly doesn't need it while there are so many others who do (which is also their opinion, hence the list of charities) I don't get.

According to the statement, Her Majesty’s Government was consulted on the guest list. So it’s not really Harry and Meghan putting their foot down. If certain people needed to there, they would be.

But as reporters point out, Harry will be sixth in line to the throne by the time the wedding roles around.

The guest list is a lot like what Edward and Sophie had. The difference Harry will have military involvement.

If they're only inviting 'friends' then I suspect we won't see any foreign royals at all which I'm quite happy with. Securing them all would be expensive for the British taxpayer with no real benefit whatsoever (an argument could be made for the Middle Eastern royals who actually hold some power).

I happen to know, in a 'friend of a friend' way, one of the chaps who's been invited to WC for the wedding and was highlighted by the KP Twitter today. He's enormously deserving and, I'm told, absolutely chuffed to be invited. Let's hope it stays dry for them all.

We do know that Prince Seeiso and his wife were definitely invited and will be attending the wedding. This is a different case though as its not political one little bit and Seeiso and Harry are both intimately involved in their charity, Sentebale, which they set up in memory of their mothers.

Seems like HM, The Queen can quip quite easily on political figures with a quick wit. She recently made a quip about both Trump and Obama while talking with David Attenborough. The article also confirms that politicians and such will not be invited to the wedding.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...plomatic-joke-about-trump-and-obama/23408067/

Those yanks and their choppers! Says the woman who parachuted into the 2012 Olympic Games. I adore her. And if somebody told me I had to practice scenes with Daniel Craig, I too would put the nation first, buckle down and DO IT.

Of all the things that the Queen has done (outside of official duties and engagements), her "entrance" into the 2012 Olympics tops the list. Shows that she enjoys the lighter side of life with gusto. After all, being Queen can get to be tedious and repetitive at times. :D

I see a lot of this with both Harry and Meghan. They are dead serious when it comes to their roles and duties and what is expected of them but yet are able to enjoy the lighter side of life. This is why I seriously believe it when they said that they would have surprises in store for their upcoming wedding.

I am a little confused how the idea of the Obama's attending could have ever been misconstrued as "political". Since he is no longer President they are private citizens so I don't get the political 'power play' theory although the question is now merely academic.

As to the notion of people wanting to give gifts for the Royal Couple's wedding, they just do! They are my royal family and I will make a donation since they can only use one toaster. :D

I think that the people of the UK and Commonwealth just want to share the joy that comes with a royal wedding. In the same way that William and Catherine are and will continue to be inundated with bootees, etc. upon the arrival of their third child.

That is just the way it is. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom