Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good gracious maybe if you guys would stop rising to the baiting of people you know dislike Meghan and Harry then we wouldn't have this constant back and forth. You know what the MO is of these posters, you know they will find something negative to say about anything regarding this wedding. If we all stopped engaging with this behavior maybe this place would be more peaceful.

The Queen is head of state of 16 Commonwealth realms. I’m not criticising Harry and Meghan for picking these 7 charities, I’m just pointing out it would have been nice to see representation from Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Just to clarify, William visited New Zealand to comfort victims of the earthquake before his wedding.

It was decided rather than support any one particular charity, he would meet with various representatives across a broad spectrum.

India is a republic, not a monarchy. Speaking as a resident of Canada, it would have been nice to see a Canadian charity on the list.

But as it is, it’s nice to see 7 charities supported.

Last edited:
As always, Harry was thinking of vets and their families in those choices. I think the asking for donations to Crisis was a nice touch as well.

Just to clarify, William visited New Zealand to comfort victims of the earthquake before his wedding.

It was decided rather than support any one particular charity, he would meet with various representatives across a broad spectrum.

India is a republic, not a monarchy. Just speaking as a resident of Canada, it would have been nice to see a Canadian charity on the list.

But as it is, it’s nice to see 7 charities supported.

As I would have liked Australia to be on the list. The latest poll numbers for us becoming a republic are bad , well they are bad for me because I don’t a republic. It would have been nice to see Harry did think of Australia ! As I said I was disappointed

Harry is going to spend a great deal of time in Australia come the fall. He thinking of them plenty.

Anyways... bring on May 19. :)

Wow nit picking is getting bad. So they should have included Australia, NZ and Canada??? Why only them? What makes Canada, Oz and NZ better then the other realms in the commonwealth? This is coming from a Canadian. Maybe just maybe they thought if they included one or two commonwealth countries, they would have to include them all???

There were 1800 guests at the Cambridge wedding. There are 600 to this one.

While not all guests would have donated, some would have given actual gifts, there was still a lot more money for the Cambridges to spread across 27 charities. With 1/3 the guests, it makes sense that Harry and Meghan choose to spread that across fewer charities.

I also like they chose charities that they are actually connected to. I was hoping when we saw the list of charities for the Cambridges, some might be future patronages of Kate. They were some great small charities that could use the boost. Sadly that didn't happen.

I notice people comment there is no charity connected to Meghan. Not hard, as she doesn't have any British charities yet. I guess they could have done world vision Canada but that may have been controversial. But Meghan does indeed have a link to one of the charities.

The charity in India Meghan visited when she was in India. She wrote about the charity for Time magazine. So there is a touch of Meghan in there.

To remedy this problem, young girls need MHM, access to toilets, and at a most basic level, sanitary pads. Twenty-three percent of girls in India drop out of school because these factors are not at play. During my time in the slum communities outside of Mumbai, I shadowed women who are part of a microfinance system where they manufacture sanitary napkins and sell them within the community. The namesake of the organization, Myna Mahila Foundation, refers to a chatty bird (“myna”) and “mahila” meaning woman. The name echoes the undercurrent of this issue: we need to speak about it, to be “chatty” about it. Ninety-seven percent of the employees of Myna Mahila live and work within the slums, creating a system which as, Nobel Peace prize nominee Dr. Jockin Arputham shared with me, is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty and allowing access to education. In addition, the women’s work opens the dialogue of menstrual hygiene in their homes, liberating them from silent suffering, and equipping their daughters to attend school.

Meghan Markle: Periods Affect Potential | Time

The charity reflects Meghan's interest and passion in improving the lives of women all over the world. :flowers:

I think its great they didn't set up a fund, but just highlighted the charity. It likely will actually inspire people to donate more money. When you donated to the Cambridge fund, you didn't have any choice where the money went. You had no idea if the funds were equally distributed either. Some of the money would also likely end up with the foundation, to run it, to distribute.

On the other hand Harry and Meghan are asking for donations straight to the charity itself. People can choose which one they are passionate about, and donate what money they want to that specific one.

As I would have liked Australia to be on the list. The latest poll numbers for us becoming a republic are bad , well they are bad for me because I don’t a republic. It would have been nice to see Harry did think of Australia ! As I said I was disappointed

What about: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Grenada, Jamaica, Papaua New Guinea, St Kits, St Lucia, St Vincent, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu and of course Canada and NZ????

What makes Australia more important then the queen's other realms??? If you are going to criticize them for only honoring the UK, why not include all the other realms. Or William and Kate, who only honored 2 realms either?

Last edited:
Harry certainly thinks a lot of Australian veterans, knows a lot of the ones who compete in the IG by name.
Yes, going to be up half the night viewing this wedding, I can see that! Five more weeks..!

Harry certainly thinks a lot of Australian veterans, knows a lot of the ones who compete in the IG by name.
Yes, going to be up half the night viewing this wedding, I can see that! Five more weeks..!

Yes, through IG he has had the opportunity to get to know veterans from a few commonwealth realms. He certainly had a wonderful opportunity to meet with Canadian troops when he was in Toronto for the games :flowers:

Hopefully he and Meghan will get more oppurtunities to work in the commonwealth after the wedding.

Last edited:
As far as I’m aware there’s no limit on the number of charities to support.

Harry and Meghan could have picked a charity from each of the Commonwealth realms and that’s still only 16.

7 is a modest number but it’s better than not supporting any.

I served in the army and I’m happy The Cambridges chose to support 5 military charities in their wedding fund.

Last edited:
The point is that they chose charities that are personal to them and not to please or placate anyone else.

Anyone is free to donate to whatever charity of their choice that is out there. These were chosen for people wishing to give something to Harry and Meghan as a wedding gift and this is what they've chosen to do.

I don't think its appropriate to denigrate choices a bride and groom make for their wedding day that don't fit one's one perspectives. Its *their* wedding after all. ;)

Moving on.....could it be that the way Harry and Meghan has structured the charitable initiative for their wedding is a way to avoid US tax penalties? What if Harry and Meghan had gone the
Cambridge route and a large sum of money was given for the couple's hypothetical wedding charitable fund? What would have been the US tax consequences?

At least this way, any monetary donations are given directly to the charities from the doners themselves without the need for Harry and Meghan having to create a fund that exposes them to US tax laws.

Well Osipi I guess you look at it differently being American I’m Australian Queen Elizabeth is my Queen we are members of the commonwealth so as I have said I was disappointed

They picked 7. Loved the 7. Hope they all see plenty of donations.

So what's left to announce? Bridal party? Is that it? I'll imagine this likely the last of the news as they shift to CHOGM but then towards end of month it will really pick up.

Well, I'm an Australian monarchist (and British-born) and I have to say I wasn't disappointed, so we'll have to agree to disagree. As for the Austrailan republic debate I don't think that not having an Australian charity on the list is going to make one ha'penth of difference one way or the other. People in Australia (and Canada) who are interested in Harry and Meghan and wish them well will watch this wedding and those who don't like them/ aren't interested in them won't, IMO.

I think it's a nice mix of charities in areas that are important to the couple.

Last edited:
The seven charitable causes named by Meghan and Harry are great choices.
I enjoyed reading about them and I applaud all seven for their work.
All are deserving of a donation from me.. though I will choose my favourite two.

Everyone will donate, or not, as to their own reasoning but it is useful that Harry and Meghan bring these worthwhile organizations to my attention.

I would imagine that for these 7 small charities it isn’t even so much the money they might get (which I’m sure they need), but the huge amount of media exposure they’ll get by being connected to the wedding. It’s free international advertising for them, something they could never pay themselves.

Moving on.....could it be that the way Harry and Meghan has structured the charitable initiative for their wedding is a way to avoid US tax penalties? What if Harry and Meghan had gone the
Cambridge route and a large sum of money was given for the couple's hypothetical wedding charitable fund? What would have been the US tax consequences?

At least this way, any monetary donations are given directly to the charities from the doners themselves without the need for Harry and Meghan having to create a fund that exposes them to US tax laws.

From a CPA, no. Unless it’s a personal gift to Meghan from a US citizen that exceeds $14k. There are reporting requirements for gifts over $100, but that’s just reporting, not taxing. Also, if it’s to a nonprofit, which I believe the Foubdation would qualify, then it has no bearing on Meghan’s tax. We’ve had clients that have money donated directly to charity in their name, rather than take the income and the deduct the donation, so it doesn’t hit their AGI before.

As far as I’m aware there’s no limit on the number of charities to support.

Harry and Meghan could have picked a charity from each of the Commonwealth realms and that’s still only 16.

7 is a modest number but it’s better than not supporting any.

I served in the army and I’m happy The Cambridges chose to support 5 military charities in their wedding fund.

No one has said there is a limit on charities. They could’ve picked 100 if they wanted to. However, the question comes down to impact. The donations would be spread much thinner and the media attention on these charities because of this would’ve been far diluted. I was watching Sky New today, and noted that Rhiannon Mills read all of the names of the charity and had a one line description on them. You simply wouldn’t get that with 25 charities. Additionally, links to donate to these charities and their names are on the royal family website, I believe. Too many different choice do actually make for less effective results. It’s really simple logic on why do t this way rather than have a lot more charities. Quite frankly, they could’ve had ten times more charities on there, and it would’ve still left some off. The way they are doing it gives the donor more input and thus more connection that could lead to additional repeat gifts in the future.

:confused::confused::confused:

I think some people get the focus wrong. The main point is to encourage people to support charity works rather than send any gift. If you want to support a specific type of charity you definitely can do so, but if you have no idea they just give you some suggestions. You are not necessarily required to donate to their suggestions. There are so so so many different kinds of charity and it's impossible for them to include all of them.

Last edited:
No one is forced to support any of these charities. We can all go out and find a charity from the realm of commonwealth or any other country to support in the name of Harry and Meghan. Or in our own name. Or we can donate to any, all or none of these charities Meghan and Harry suggested. I really don't see the issue some are having here.

I am glad, that they chose these 7, and only 7, because these are all small charities, and aside the donations, these charities will greatly benefit from the publicity. Had they mentioned 20 or so charities, none of them would've got so much attention.

I think that anyone who has a problem with supporting charities should set up their own supplemental list of charities and personally support them in M&H's name. Problem solved.

"Kensington Palace said: It has been decided that an official list of political leaders – both UK & international - is not required for Prince Harry and Ms. Markle's wedding. Her Majesty's Government was consulted on this decision, which was taken by The Royal Household."

No Obamas or Trumps.

Royal sources say anyone at the wedding will have a direct relationship with Meghan or Harry. The decision to have no officials at the wedding was taken due to the smaller size of St George's Chapel and the fact that Prince Harry is not in direct line succession #royalwedding*

Via Roya Nikkhah Twitter

So no foreign royals and no politicianss. Not even Prime Minister Theresa May is attending

Last edited:
I fully expect Prince Seeiso and the Trudeaus to attend but that is only because they are personal friends of the couple. The Obamas are also friendly but that is just drama they didn't need. It is no surprise the press release also included a statement indicating they would be meeting up soon though.

I can't imagine that Harry and/or Meghan could care less. Having people like Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn or Trump sitting in the pews would be far from their minds.

Members of the public learned this week that they will be among the 2,640 people invited to Windsor Castle grounds on May 19th.

Last edited:
I'm happy the political factions are not attending and Harry and Meghan can have a peaceful day.

If Harry traded an Obamas invite for the ability to exclude all officials from the wedding including the British PM, then I'm going to score a win for Harry in that negotiation. Well played.

Just speculating but that's how it reads to me given reported post-engagement gov't pressure and today's comment re: looking forward to meeting with the Obamas soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom