Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the royal reporters said he saw three invitations.

"UPDATE #2: I've now seen a third #royalwedding invitation. Tally so far:
Mr & Mrs
Lord & Lady
Mr but without his Mrs
So that's 5. Just 595 more guests to find!"

I would assume the "Mr. without his Mrs." is a work related invite which is understandable. My mother didn't accompany my father on plenty things like this so it is no slight. Just business.

Don’t quite understand the Mr without the Mrs. It’s not “business” like a charity event they are hosting, it’s their wedding. If they find space to invite the Mr, find space to invite the Mrs as well.

Don’t quite understand the Mr without the Mrs. It’s not “business” like a charity event they are hosting, it’s their wedding. If they find space to invite the Mr, find space to invite the Mrs as well.

Not if they invited members of the organization as a whole. Look at it this way. They invite 30 members of a patronage. If they give them all a +1 then that is now 60 people. Not many places will do that. That is different than inviting a married couple you are familiar with as a pair. Space is limited. They are under no obligation to invite anyone. If "Mr without a Mrs" is offended then decline.

It could be that there are a certain amount of invitations allotted to certain endeavors and patronages to send a representative. For example, Sir Keith Mills may be invited to represent The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. He is also Chairman of the Invictus Games organization. One representative from Help for Heroes and other causes that Harry's been involved in.

To invite the spouses doubles the people and lessens the representatives from patronages, causes and organization.

That's my guesstimate on it so don't quote me on this. :D

They’re 200 people shy of capacity at St George’s, I just think it’s a bit unfair whichever way you cut it.

They’re 200 people shy of capacity at St George’s, I just think it’s a bit unfair whichever way you cut it.

They invite all 600 people to a reception. St George's Hall also has it's capacity.

Last edited:

How is any of it unfair? It's their wedding, they make the rules. If they don't know the Mrs., then they have every right not to invite. If the Mr. is offended, don't come.

You not including the non guests. There is camera crew, security, performers, church staff, etc...

Now sure how invitations are unfair. They are privileged to be invited in general. You don't get to tell someone how to run their own wedding. Again if the Mr & Mrs are upset then they can decline and keep it moving. Though to be fair no one said anything. It was just the reporter looking surprised.

Wait they’re inviting 600 and not 800? I missed that. This will be a far cry from the days when people were expecting 3000 in St Pauls

Has there been a breakdown of who’s going. Relatives, friends,charity reps etc?

Little secret.. I've been invited, but since i'm not permitted to take my wives cousin [twice removed] I intend to decline to attend.. I'm OUTRAGED that the Bride and Groom won't let ME decide who [or how many] people I chose to take to their Wedding..

Last edited:
Little secret.. I've been invited, but since i'm not permitted to take my wives cousin [twice removed] I intend to decline to attend.. I'm OUTRAGED that the Bride and Groom won't let me decide who [or how many] people I chose to take to their Wedding..

?????

You and your wife's cousin twice removed are both invited to my viewing party.

Wait they’re inviting 600 and not 800? I missed that. This will be a far cry from the days when people were expecting 3000 in St Pauls

Has there been a breakdown of who’s going. Relatives, friends,charity reps etc?

There was a lot of wrong assumptions about this wedding. I am not surprised by the number. It always came across they wanted it to be their way as much as possible. They not required to invite heads of state and what not.

One of the royal reporters said he saw three invitations.

"UPDATE #2: I've now seen a third #royalwedding invitation. Tally so far:
Mr & Mrs
Lord & Lady
Mr but without his Mrs
So that's 5. Just 595 more guests to find!"

I would assume the "Mr. without his Mrs." is a work related invite which is understandable. My mother didn't accompany my father on plenty things like this so it is no slight. Just business.

May be the Mr. without the Mrs. is meant for single Mr. who are not married yet.
:cool:

May be the Mr. without the Mrs. is meant for single Mr. who are not married yet.
:cool:

No as it’s quite clear that the Mr has been invited and his wife hasn’t.

I believed that 800 was the capacity for St George’s? If they wanted to fill it they could. Regardless of all the extras that will be in there.

I know it’s “their” wedding, I’m not stupid. They can invite who they want and yes the invitee can refuse but if they know these people enough to invite them aka the head of so and so organisation, they probably would have met their wife/partner at some point or another at a charity dinner or gala of such. I am welcome to have my opinion that I think it’s unfair for someone to attend the wedding on their own and then sit awkwardly on a table of also on their own people.

End of discussion from me.

Are the members of the British Royal Family and the Junior Royals who are attending the wedding being counted among the 600 people who will be at the wedding?

My husband was invited to the baptism/christening service of princess Catharina Amalia, I wasn't, was that a faux-pas as well?

Another reason for not going for the full 800 capacity may be that often to get to "full capacity" guests are seated in parts of the Chapel or Church where they can't actually see the service taking place. Maybe those 600 seats have a better view than shoving people in the back to get to a full 800? Maybe they have just been quite selective with the guest list.

Also, I have to say the many work related weddings I have attended I have done so alone as have most of my colleagues except where the couple have known the invited spouse personally. I don't think its at all unusual for some people to be invited without a +1 or spouse.

Another reason for not going for the full 800 capacity may be that often to get to "full capacity" guests are seated in parts of the Chapel or Church where they can't actually see the service taking place. Maybe those 600 seats have a better view than shoving people in the back to get to a full 800? Maybe they have just been quite selective with the guest list.

But the people sitting in the Main part of the Chapel won't see what is going on near the Altar anyway as there is a Wall between it and the Choir. which leads to the Altar. And it they seat the people looking towards the aisle as the often do at Royal Events there they will also not see what is going on there. Probably there will be screens.

Are the members of the British Royal Family and the Junior Royals who are attending the wedding being counted among the 600 people who will be at the wedding?

I would think so. They said about 600, so not exact. I would imagine invitations would have to be extended to extended family members as well. Otherwise, where does it stop with the BRF? If you go back enough generations, I'm sure they can fill St. George's Chapel by themselves. :lol:

There were screens in Westminster Abbey for the Cambridge wedding. I’m sure something similar will be in place at Windsor.

Just my opinion but if I was limited to numbers I’d maybe consider dropping some of the ‘royal family’. Other than aunts, uncles and cousins that is. I’m not sure how much interaction Harry and Meghan have with the Kent’s and Gloucesters. Maybe the Linley and Chattos but I would be surprised about the rest.

I thought the same thing. Not every cousin will be invited. The invitations are in Charles name, not the Queen’s. A little easier to get out of

There were screens in Westminster Abbey for the Cambridge wedding. I’m sure something similar will be in place at Windsor.

I think so too. There'll be one crew with cameras set up in the chapel and the same video that is displayed on screens in the chapel will also be the video that's televised.

Just my opinion but if I was limited to numbers I’d maybe consider dropping some of the ‘royal family’. Other than aunts, uncles and cousins that is. I’m not sure how much interaction Harry and Meghan have with the Kent’s and Gloucesters. Maybe the Linley and Chattos but I would be surprised about the rest.
I'm going out on a limb and saying that over the years the extended royal family are a lot closer than many families. Look at those invited to the Trooping of the Colour, do they all lunch or take tea after and swap chat? Same goes for HM's Family Christmas Party, it's quite, quite large. By virtue of who Harry is a lot of his friends are extended family and friends of the family. They are close because they are trustworthy. As to the Kent's and Gloucester's they are both family and neighbours.

Ever been to a wedding and seen Granny in the corner with nobody to talk to, and the same to a smaller extent for the Parents, but because there are cousins and family friends this doesn't happen. This is a private family wedding but, by the nature of Harry's work, he is extending invitations to representatives from his and the Cambridge's Foundation and a few other charities that don't fall in that bracket. Meghan is also inviting a few family members and friends from work.

But, as was pointed out, the seating capacity for the Windsor Reception is a factor as it seems Harry is inviting all his wedding guests to the reception. Also, on a personal level, I find the notion of family being expendable really sad.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that over the years the extended royal family are a lot closer than many families. Look at those invited to the Trooping of the Colour, do they all lunch or take tea after and swap chat? Same goes for HM's Family Christmas Party, it's quite, quite large. By virtue of who Harry is a lot of his friends are extended family and friends of the family. They are close because they are trustworthy. As to the Kent's and Gloucester's they are both family and neighbours.

Ever been to a wedding and seen Granny in the corner with nobody to talk to, and the same to a smaller extent for the Parents, but because there are cousins and family friends this doesn't happen. This is a private family wedding but, by the nature of Harry's work, he is extending invitations to representatives from his and the Cambridge's Foundation and a few other charities that don't fall in that bracket. Meghan is also inviting a few family members and friends from work.

But, as was pointed out, the seating capacity for the Windsor Reception is a factor as it seems Harry is inviting all his wedding guests to the reception. Also, on a personal level, I find the notion of family being expendable really sad.

I guess it depends on your perspective. When my husband and I married in January we had to chose between friends and cousins and choose our friends. The cousins were invited to the evening reception. We felt it more important to have those who were there for us on a daily basis rather than those we see twice a year (if even).

I’m sure Harry and Meghan will invite his aunts/uncles/cousins. I just wouldn’t be so sure of the likes of Lady Rose Gilman or Lady Helen Taylor. I’m sure they get on perfectly well but other than Trooping or pre-Christmas lunch have limited interaction.

Also, I have to say the many work related weddings I have attended I have done so alone as have most of my colleagues except where the couple have known the invited spouse personally. I don't think its at all unusual for some people to be invited without a +1 or spouse.

They have to seat the choir. The musicians. Find room for the camera; that's less an issue as they can put up remote control cameras, but still. It all depends on where they all fit, but there are stories out there in Forums and blogs about the choir being all squished (and fainting) at previous weddings.

The one thing I trust the BRF to get "right" are these kinds of official events in settings that they use often over the years. They understand all the space needed for chairs, equipment, who goes where and who sits in the cold space and the hot space ;).

I think a difference might be the invitations are at the request of Charles and not by command of the Queen.

Clearly Harry’s close family will be there but the opportunity for the more distant members to decline or not get invited at all is possible.

This is the Harry and Meghan show and outside of the absolute must haves all other invites will be anyone’s guess

Last edited:
Those invites are wonderful. Especially the Grenfell survivors. People that are meaningful to Harry. Its just like Harry to think to invite the survivors and add a little bit of happiness and joy to their lives after a tragic event and the ensuing hard times they faced. William and Kate did basically the same thing with inviting Bucklebury butcher, postman and pub landlord.

It also makes for a more personalized wedding, I think, and gives it more meaning.

I would be surprised if the Kents or the Gloucesters were not invited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom