Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm still confused how it's a diplomatic incident.

It's the same story that as a representative of the BRF Meghan should fully embrace its customs and traditions. Even if there's some question as to how much of a tradition fruitcake still is in British culture in general or the BRF (see: Edward/Sophie). It's all part of the Meghan as outsider/rule breaker media narrative.

In some ways I get it. If Meghan picks a non-British designer for her wedding dress all hell will break loose. I just didn't think cake merited this level of debate. In my mind, she's giving up enough to show she's embracing her new family and country. I'm fine if she wants to draw the line at refusing to serve bad cake.

So does KP plan on announcing every time they book a vendor for the wedding? And whats with the full PR rundown of the baker? Yet another odd decision from the KP press office

Its not odd at all considering they did the same thing with William and Kate and they also have youtube interviews.

They are highlighting British vendors.

I've deleted a number of snarky posts/comments. These type of insults are disruptive and add nothing to the discussion. There is a way to disagree, without belittling the opinions of your fellow members. Thanks.

It's not about Mbruno's opinion. Lots of posts that have nothing to do with his/her comments.

LaRae

Besides, it was not my opinion. I couldn't care less if they have fruitcake or lemon sponge cake. I was just pointing out that, judging from the British press and online comments, that is an issue in the UK and I was trying to make an impartial analysis on why it would be so based on what the RF represents as a national symbol.

Unfortunately, Meghan's fans on the forum interpreted my comments as me attacking Meghan, or blaming her for this debacle.

In any case, she is the one who knew the chef and had interviewed her for her blog. It is fair to say that the cake was probably her idea and not Harry's, and that Harry went along with it, or simply didn't care.

Last edited:
Fondant has quality levels. It is not supposed to be super thick not super thin.
And yes it tastes better than most buttercreams made by most pastry chefs in the US (let alone the kind sold in grocery stores)
I know a cake decorator who only makes fondant covered cakes, he charges accordingly, his clientele are of a certain social-economic status and higher.

Hence why i’m surprised at the buttercream for the cake. Also buttercream is not that popular in California as it is on the east coast and in the middle of America, or Canada.

I peel off fondant . Not my taste, it's just sugar and sweet without any flavour .

I will admit to being somewhat irrationally sad if there's no fruitcake. Just about every wedding I go to at least has one layer of lovely fruitcake.

Almost more important than the tradition is what a cake like this represents - this was something that people ate on extremely special occasions (like weddings and Xmas) because the ingredients in bygone days were super expensive. Some of the spices involved came from South East Asia for example and were pretty rare. It was the most special cake you could have and it kept incredibly well so some of it would be set aside for future special family occasions.

Lemon and elderflower sponge doesn't really have the same resonance for me.

At this point I don't think there is anything MM can do that won't be called out by the press. When she honored the Queens tradition by being confirmed and baptized her motives where torn apart and questioned, when she sings the national anthem a reporter noted that she was a minute late joining in. When she makes a personal choice at the private reception she is called out for not honoring traditions even though Sophie and Edward made similar wedding cake choices. At this point I hope Meghan realizes that when you can't win it is best to chuck it all and be your own self!!

I will admit to being somewhat irrationally sad if there's no fruitcake. Just about every wedding I go to at least has one layer of lovely fruitcake.

Almost more important than the tradition is what a cake like this represents - this was something that people ate on extremely special occasions (like weddings and Xmas) because the ingredients in bygone days were super expensive. Some of the spices involved came from South East Asia for example and were pretty rare. It was the most special cake you could have and it kept incredibly well so some of it would be set aside for future special family occasions.

Lemon and elderflower sponge doesn't really have the same resonance for me.

I like the choices and am sure they are exquisite. Elder flower is a beautiful and set against some tart lemon will be awesome! And to be clear, the palace did not actually say there would be no fruitcake. Do we know if Harry has the same love for fruitcake that William does? Does the UK do Groom's cakes? Because if anyone could have fun with a Groom's cake - it is Harry!

I peel off fondant . Not my taste, it's just sugar and sweet without any flavour .

I actually know upper tier bakers who say one should peel off the fondant and leave it behind. A lot has to do with what the baker wants to do with texture and the balance of sugar with other flavors.

And good buttercream is just heavenly, IMO. Fluffy and rich and not overly sweet. Bad buttercream should also be peeled off. IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

You’ve also just described buttercream, minus the butter.
When fondant is good it’s very good, same with buttercream.
It’s all up to the chef.

At this point I don't think there is anything MM can do that won't be called out by the press. When she honored the Queens tradition by being confirmed and baptized her motives where torn apart and questioned, when she sings the national anthem a reporter noted that she was a minute late joining in. When she makes a personal choice at the private reception she is called out for not honoring traditions even though Sophie and Edward made similar wedding cake choices. At this point I hope Meghan realizes that when you can't win it is best to chuck it all and be your own self!!

No kidding. Just do you Meghan. Be happy. They judging you regardless.

Assumption Abbey

The dreaded fruitcake (well unless you like them)!

I think Stollen is more like Pantone ...the American fruitcake is heavy and soaked in rum or brandy etc.

LaRae

Yes, that's the nasty American fruit cake no actually eats, the same one just gets re-gifted every Christmas. There are actually only 20 fruit cakes in the entire U.S.A. ?

The fruit cake on the website wyevale linked to looks MUCH more appetizing!

I have to admit all the posts about cakes, cake icing, and fruit cakes are giving me a headache.

But I am very interested to note how many of you are sentimentally attached to the fruitcake! I love that. That's the sort of thing that fascinates me.

I had never heard of a 'groom's cake' until this very evening reading this thread. Surely both bride and groom pick the cake? Having multiple layers of different cakes is entirely the norm in the UK nowadays.

The problem with just saying carte blanche "it's their wedding let them do what they like" or "Meghan's American so she doesn't have to follow age-old British traditions" is that the Great British taxpayer is subsiding this wedding to the tune of millions of £ and will likely continue to subsidise their lifestyles, directly or indirectly, for decades to come.

Please God at the very least may they not write their own wedding vows as seems to happen in almost every wedding in American TV shows and films. It is excruciatingly awkward and tacky. I always die a little bit inside from second hand embarrassment.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does elderberry taste like? I think my only exposure to it was an episode of "Keeping Up Appearances" where Hyacinth got drunk on elderberry wine at a country house. I can't imagine the flavor combination because I have no reference. (obviously the lemon is not a problem)

The problem with just saying carte blanche "it's their wedding let them do what they like" or "Meghan's American so she doesn't have to follow age-old British traditions" is that the Great British taxpayer is subsiding this wedding to the tune of millions of £ and will likely continue to subsidise their lifestyles, directly or indirectly, for decades to come.

What does that exactly mean? I'm wondering. :huh: Does that mean royal family members are constrained by tradition? Which traditions? Who is the arbiter? Traditions are different from laws and can vary, let alone change across generations. But this seems to be a sticking point: so how much freedom does a royal family member have in the execution of their life choices? An honest question. What is the taxpayers' money 'buying' exactly?

I had never heard of a 'groom's cake' until this very evening reading this thread. Surely both bride and groom pick the cake? Having multiple layers of different cakes is entirely the norm in the UK nowadays.

Please God at the very least may they not write their own wedding vows as seems to happen in almost every wedding in American TV shows and films. It is excruciatingly awkward and tacky. I always die a little bit inside from second hand embarrassment.

The wedding is expected to bring in over 1 billion dollars in revenue, way more than the cost to protect the royals etc at the wedding. The taxpayers aren't paying for the wedding itself.

LaRae

We really don't know what the wedding schedule is at this moment but we do know what the cake will be. Sophie and Edward had tennis rackets on their cake, is that allowed and if so was the British tax payer hurt and offended by such a public declaration of love. If you can survive a tennis racket cake, I think the country is resilient enough to survive a buttercreme cake or are they?

Last edited:
We really don't know what the wedding schedule is at this moment but we do know what the cake will be. Sophie and Edward had tennis rackets on their cake, is that allowed and if so was the British tax payer hurt and offended by such a public declaration of love. If you can survive a tennis racket cake, I think the country is resilient enough to survive a buttercreme cake or are they?

And it was duh duh duh (anticipatory music) chocolate cake!!! Not a piece of fruit to be seen!

LaRae

Yes, that's the nasty American fruit cake no actually eats, the same one just gets re-gifted every Christmas. There are actually only 20 fruit cakes in the entire U.S.A. ?

The fruit cake on the website wyevale linked to looks MUCH more appetizing!

Thankfully we have been out of the fruitcake gift loop for at least 20 years now, may it continue!

I do agree at least the cake wyevale posted I would try...not sure I'd like it but I'd try it. I'm not a big fruit eater.

LaRae

Around here, the groom's cake is much smaller than the bride's cake. We had a pretty white cake with butter cream icing, since we decided to have a small, cheap wedding, and my husband's cake was red velvet and shaped like a football and was emblazoned with the logo of his alma mater.

Now I'm wondering what whimsical shape Harry's cake might be shaped? Maybe the continent of Africa? A Union Jack? Maybe a miniature depiction of his own ginger-haired self wearing the rumpled blue suit with sagging crotch area?

Maybe Meghan and Harry's cake will have a small interracial bride and groom figurine on top, positioned inside marzipan depictions of the famous matching blue bead bracelets?

Some British traditions are fine, but I don’t think they should feel pressured to make it all British. Besides- from what I can tell- fruit cake is hardly at EVERY British wedding. So why have it if they don’t want it. Maybe Harry wouldn’t have wanted fruitcake even if he was marrying a Brit.

American TV shows aren’t American reality. I’ve never been to a single wedding where the bride and groom wrote their own vows. It’s more of a TV thing. I’m sure it happens, but it’s hardly the norm.

It’s sort of like thinking you know what Texas is like from watching Dallas or basically any show that takes place in the state. Not even close. Sure there might be some truth to what you see, but it’s hardly representative of the people and place.

Last edited:
Maybe this has already been discussed - I'm a latecomer - but how soon will the wedding invitations go out?

Seriously all this over a wedding cake. Pages and pages over a cake :eek:

Diplomatic mistake :ohmy: I might have missed how the cake was a diplomatic mistake. Was it that its not fruit cake or that the maker is American? Or both?

Why is it that Meghan is being held to different standards? Sophie was British and no one had a coronary when she had a chocolate wedding cake.

The 'wedding cake' is basically the bride's cake. It is usually her style and flavors. It is why it is the fancier cake. One cant blame an American for not wanting fruit cake. Yes, for North Americans the thing we call 'a door stopper' is not going to be a popular choice for weddings at all.

The reception is private. She is getting married in a traditional Anglican wedding. Will be in a British dress. Will be following many British customs. Is it really such a problem she has a wedding cake her and her family will like? I suspect most of the food will be things like her and Harry want personally, and that is how it should be.

If its such a big deal then the groom's cake can be a fruit cake. American bride have American cake, the British groom have a British cake.

As for the baker, she is London based. Her business is in the UK and is part of the British economy. Do they have to check every vendor to make sure they aren't just British based, but every employee is also British born??

Reactions: ACO
Seriously all this over a wedding cake. Pages and pages over a cake :eek:

I find I hilarious:popcorn:. One could be mistaken in thinking that posters are actually going to be invited to this wedding and get to eat the cake themselves:ROFLMAO:.
I don’t give a fig about the flavour of a royal wedding cake, I only want it to look good, since that’s the only thing I’ll see of this cake.

I do however like lemon and elder as a flavor idea and will try and find a recipe to make a cake with it:chef:. Elderflowers are a huge delicacy here and we eat them and make drinks from them every year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom