Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rob as already said, they may have one as a groom cake. Nothing has been released about that one yet.

You can't expect everything to be done in the British style/taste.

LaRae

It is not her first diplomatic mistake and it is inevitable when you move to a different country with a culture you are not familiar with.

BTW, the worst part of the DM's article was not in the headline. According to the paper:

Why in the world is it Meghan's diplomatic mistake? Is she planning all these things without Harry's input into them? Did she shove Harry into a closet somewhere and locked him in there while making all these nefarious decisions involving *their* wedding? I don't think so.

I fail also to see how a wedding cake at a private wedding can be ruled a "diplomatic" mistake. Regardless of what anyone thinks, this is going to be a British/American wedding. Harry is marrying Meghan for who she is and would be aghast at the idea that because they're marrying, she needs to *conform* into a British stereotype like a puppet on a string to avoid bruising sensibilities and keep strands of pearls from breaking. :D

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age Brits are a) unfamiliar with American style wedding cake and b) all of them don't like it.

I realise it may be tough for you to accept, but a] not all of us 'worship' America, or 'rate' its food, b] Travel there, c] go to American Weddings..

I for one DETEST 'your' Cup cakes, smothered as they are in revoltingly sugary 'Buttercream'. Tooth-achingly sweet, and luridly coloured..

What a shame their not having a traditional wedding cake. They could have easily had both. Hope they don’t give free advertising to every one involved with the wedding.

This is no different than what happened with William and Kate. Clarence House did all these updates. Posted about their baker and interviewed him on the website. So if it is good enough for William and Kate then it is good enough for Harry and Meghan.

Look forward to the next update.

Just two months to go!:flowers:;)

And we are getting some official reveals from KP. The choice of cake sounds quite lovely. But I'll bet the entire food menu will be quite special with Meghan's love of food which she said in writings and interviews, began with her assisting craft services on the set of Married With Children, as a teenager (visiting her Dad on the set after school).

I wonder what more might be revealed in coming weeks. To be sure, I doubt we will know anything on the dress until the moment we see it.

I realise it may be tough for you to accept, but a] not all of us 'worship' America, or 'rate' its food, b] Travel there, c] go to American Weddings..

I for one DETEST 'your' Cup cakes, smothered as they are in revoltingly sugary 'Buttercream'. Tooth-achingly sweet, and luridly coloured..

There was nothing I said that indicated you need to worship America or the foods from here. The reverse is true from our standpoint as well...some of the criticisms of English foods are justified.

It's not tough for me to accept at all...I just laugh at all the angst over the cake not being the 'traditional' English style. Further who said it would be luridly colored? Not everyone here is into bright colors.

Stop stereotyping us.

LaRae

Nor do you have to...

Meghan is American and maybe she hates fruitcake. It is her wedding. It is her cake. She can do what she wants.

I don't get why some are so surprised that they are incorporating some of her likes and wants into HER wedding. Truly bizarre.

I have to admit that I agree with wyevale on the super sweet snack cakes that abound in the supermarkets in the US. I personally detest them but my other half can't get enough of them. Its all a matter of taste I think.

Basically, I think what we are going to see as far as food, is food that both Harry and Meghan enjoy and like to eat. It really doesn't matter what side of the pond the food is "traditional" to or more popular at. What matters is that this is *their* wedding and *their* choices.

Its pretty poor form for invited guests to complain about anything that the host is offering. I was raised that if you're invited for dinner somewhere and you're offered something that you don't particularly like much, you take a "no thank you" helping. :D

The way I see it, its possible that they will have the traditional fruitcake that is edible for a very long time with pieces that can serve as mementos and also have the lemon sponge cake.

This way, they can have their cake and eat it too. :whistling:

:lol: What with them being so much in love, they likely both feel they're 'having their cake and eating it too.' :D Plus, they're sharing a bit of what they can with the interested public and especially with those who are true well-wishers.

There was nothing I said that indicated you need to worship America or the foods from here. The reverse is true from our standpoint as well...some of the criticisms of English foods are justified.

It's not tough for me to accept at all...I just laugh at all the angst over the cake not being the 'traditional' English style. Further who said it would be luridly colored? Not everyone here is into bright colors.

Stop stereotyping us.

LaRae

The point is that royals are different from ordinary celebrities or other rich people. They are seen as national symbols with a family history that is intimately associated with the country's history.

It must be already difficult enough for some people in Britain to accept an unconventional American bride like Meghan. If, on top of that, she publicly goes against "British tradition", hiring an American chef to make a traditionally American cake, it is obvious it will be a source of criticism.

The point is that royals are different from ordinary celebrities or other rich people. They are seen as national symbols with a family history that is intimately associated with the country's history.

It must be already difficult enough for some people in Britain to accept an unconventional American bride like Meghan. If, on top of that, she publicly goes against "British tradition", hiring an American chef to make a traditionally American cake, it is obvious it will be a source of criticism.

Are you absolutely sure that Harry doesn't have any part in these decisions that may go against British tradition? What if it actually was Harry's choice? You're really pushing to put the onus on Meghan here.

If the BRF, especially HM, doesn't seem to mind Meghan having a cake of her liking... then why should I care? She has given up plenty so the least she can have is a cake of her choosing for HER wedding.

Maybe the groomscake will be the fruitcake. It is like people don't want Meghan to have a say about anything. They said from the very beginning it will be about the two of them so all this pearl-clutching over American touches seems odd to me.

Interesting, that Harry, the actual royal, and an actual Briton, is completely omitted from any decision-making, and it's all Meghan. I'm thinking, that this was a joint decision, and the RF are happy with their choice.

:lol: Everything to do with Meghan will be a source of criticism in some quarters, apparently. I don't get why it's not patently obvious by now that in these modern times, a British royal prince can and will choose who he wishes to marry without the public's input. And his family has accepted his choice, by this point, quite fully and completely.

Such OTT annoyance with their choices for their own wedding day surely will not matter to the two people who are the object of all the gazing, fascination, and ongoing critiqueing.

Last edited by a moderator:

So forget the fact that she has adjusted her entire life to accomodate, and even converted to the Church of England. But a mere cake raises to the level of diplomatic mistake? Even though the bakery is a UK small business that she's supporting.

And I missed the part where any non traditional fruit cake is an American cake? I thought cakes are just cakes unless it is actually specific to a region.

Reactions: ACO
BTW, the worst part of the DM's article was not in the headline.

Most of the complaints alluded to concern the service and not the cakes.
That is something Meghan and Harry don't need to worry about so it is unlikely the choice of the bakery will be a disaster.

The idea that this is going to cause angst among the masses is laughable. If the upper crust is clutching pearls over this they need to get a reality check.

Yes she is going to have American elements at her wedding. It's unreal that you think she won't..and that it's okay to criticize her for making these choices.

LaRae

Interesting, that Harry, the actual royal, and an actual Briton, is completely omitted from any decision-making, and it's all Meghan. I'm thinking, that this was a joint decision, and the RF are happy with their choice.

My first reaction is they made an interesting choice so I feel very strange to see people say, it's Meghan's mistake. It's their wedding, it may be her idea but he definitely had said yes to this.

Meghan is American, and fruitcake is almost universally reviled here. It is the butt of many jokes, and the word "fruitcake" is used to signify a crazy person. I have literally never heard of fruitcake being served at an American wedding.

The baker appears to be an American living in London. How weird that the couple would choose such a person to make their wedding cake. Wonder where they got an oddball idea like that???

When I got married, we saved some of our wedding cake in the freezer to have on our first anniversary.

This honestly feels like the best of both worlds to me. London small business is highlighted. Meghan taps her previous relationship with the owner through The Tig. Plus, the style of bakery incorporates the bride's tastes. I really like that she is continuing to work with businesses that she partnered with pre-Harry since they supported her early in her career.

While I'm sure Harry green lit the move away from fruitcake as the main cake, like most grooms, I assume Harry sat back at the cake tasting and let his fiancé take the lead. Harry may have requested fruitcake for his groom's cake to maintain tradition, but I doubt it. Weddings the world over are driven by the bride's aesthetic. The best ones bridge the bride and the groom's history, culture, and tastes. Hard to imagine why people think the royal wedding will be any different.

Last edited:
It seems some people like to be forgetful with history. Harry & Meghan have chosen a cake that they like & plan to share it with others, just as other Royal couples have. 19 years ago Edward & Sophie had Devils Food Cake for their wedding cake.

Last edited:
:previous: And seemingly @DeeT, the 'devil' remains in the details yea these many years later when it comes to royal wedding chatter/angst (now on an even greater scale of course, because of who Harry is marrying). ?

Cake choices are really personal. Personally I prefer a mix of pound cake and fruit cake, as is the tradition in my part of the world, but it is up to the bride and groom. Frankly, even if one is of the opinion that it should be more "traditional", we should remember that she is already giving up one tradition--having the wedding near the bride's home, friends, and family.

Lemon and elderflower? That’s an... umm interesting choice.
I’m a pastry chef and, there’s a reason why it’s not a common flavor choice for cakes or desserts in general. Those are two very strong flavors who can easily overpower the other.
I’d understand just lemon. Well I hope the cake is elderflower while the filling is lemon curd, that might work. Still strange flavor choice.

Also buttercream? I guess. I’ve Made many wedding cakes, and people of harry’s Monterey bracket do not use buttercream on their cake, no self respecting pastry chef would dare use buttercream for such an expensive wedding- it’s considered tacky, and is the cheaper option vs. the more luxurious fondant. It is easier and faster to work with though- hence why buttercream are cheaper than fondant ones, the decorations on a fondant cake alone can take days.

Also, when it comes to wedding cakes it is best to stick to traditional flavors (especially with large weddings- anything over 100 ppl), that’s why there’s been a boom at how the cake looks vs. flavors as a way to showcase the couple personalities.

Last edited:
interesting choice.

Indeed.. a florist chum, who uses it a lot at late Spring weddings assures me it smells like urine...
An absolutely STELLAR choice...

Indeed.. a florist chum, who uses it a lot at late Spring weddings assures me it smells like urine...
An absolutely STELLAR choice...
Well, elderberries(blossom) has a lovely, distinctive, taste.

Yeah..elderberry is a popular wine and preserve here. Doesn't make sense about the flower. I've never heard in my life the flowers smell like urine.

LaRae

Lemon and elderflower? That’s an... interesting choice.
There’s a reason why it’s not a common one.

It is a preserve. Pretty common here for danishes. Urine? Interesting. I can't say I ever had that experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom