Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the Maid/Matron of honor plan the bridal parties? Or adult attendant if she's having children in the party.

LaRae

I always thought that too Pranter but nowadays I think the bride is often involved with the planning. Recently a bride told me all the details of her bachelorette party (yet to happen)...I just smiled and said ‘really’.

Ah..well I guess things change.

LaRae

I think in the case of a royal bride that her being somewhat involved in planning is expected.

Ah..well I guess things change.

LaRae

It depends. A lot of bridal party still takes charge of that, but some brides have decided to host something for their friends rather than have them do it.

Windsor castle

I know Sophie and her parents stayed at Royal lodge the night before the wedding, with the Queen Mum. I would think both Meghan's parents will be invited to stay at the castle with their daughter if that is where she is staying.

I hope her parents get to stay at Windsor Castle. Nothing like a 900 yr old castle to impress one.

A 900 year old castle is definitely impressive but I hope that if Tom and Doria are invited to stay at the castle, they're also forewarned to bring their thermal underwear with them as well. Even in May, Windsor Castle could prove to be a quite chilly environment.

Believe me, if I had the chance to stay in Windsor Castle, there wouldn't be much in the way of discomfort I would worry about overly much. I'd be too awestruck to notice the discomfort. :D

Actually Sophie did not come from the Castle but from the Royal Lodge which is at the other side ot Windsor Great Park. She and her Family spend the night before the wedding there. Don't think this is an Option for Meghan as it is now the Home of Prince Andrew. Perhaps she and her Family could stay at Frogmore.

That's odd. I just watched the video showing Sophie coming down the Long Drive? So are you saying she didn't come out of Windsor Castle? Where is the Royal Lodge? Did she drive out of that and then drive down the Long Drive?

Harry was asked about his stag and said “I'm sure William's got something up his sleeve.”

http://www.gettyimages.com/license/830201196
This is the carriage that Prince Edward and Sophie used in their wedding procession. Someone previously expressed that Prince Harry and Meghan may use this carriage. The carriage is referred to as an Ascot Landau.
I believe this is the carriage the couple will use.
That's odd. I just watched the video showing Sophie coming down the Long Drive? So are you saying she didn't come out of Windsor Castle? Where is the Royal Lodge? Did she drive out of that and then drive down the Long Drive?

I read it was the 1902 (I think that was the year) Landau.

LaRae

Royal Lodge is one of the homes in Royal Great Park about 3 miles (4.8 kms) from Windsor and is now the home of Prince Andrew. In 1999 it was the Windsor home of the Queen Mother and I believe Sophie spent the night before her wedding there with the Queen Mum and from there they both, made their way to the Castle before the wedding.

I think she drove from Royal Lodge - along the Great Walk and into the castle grounds that way and after the service, they went in the carriage out the castle grounds around the streets and up the Long Walk and back into the castle grounds.

Royal Lodge is one of the homes in Royal Great Park about 3 miles (4.8 kms) from Windsor and is now the home of Prince Andrew. In 1999 it was the Windsor home of the Queen Mother and I believe Sophie spent the night before her wedding there with the Queen Mum and from there they both, made their way to the Castle before the wedding.

I think she drove from Royal Lodge - along the Great Walk and into the castle grounds that way and after the service, they went in the carriage out the castle grounds around the streets and up the Long Walk and back into the castle grounds.

If you look at the video I posted, it's very clear that she is coming down the Long Walk and into Windsor. In fact, the announcers say that "as they make their way to St. George's Castle... down the Long Walk..." So while she may not have come directly out of Windsor Castle, she traveled a really long part of The Long Walk.

That's all I was referring to... as long as Meghan and her mother and a few other guests like Charles and Camilla, Meghan's mom, etc and HMQ do that route on the way to the church, I'll be happy. I think there will definitely be a ton of people lined up to watch and cheer.

There weren't many people out when Sophie came along The Long Walk - my hope is that this time there will be, as well as out on the streets (like they were for Sophie).

Video for reference... I linked it to the moment they cut to Sophie in the car...

Last edited:
I really don't get the need to see the entire royal family paraded out for a long drive :ermm:

Yes seeing the bride in her car, getting glimpses of her and waiting for the gown is great to see. But do you really need to watch Charles and Camilla drive down the walk? Or the queen?

I really don't get the need to see the entire royal family paraded out for a long drive :ermm:

Yes seeing the bride in her car, getting glimpses of her and waiting for the gown is great to see. But do you really need to watch Charles and Camilla drive down the walk? Or the queen?

For me - yes - that's part of the pomp and circumstance that I love about royal weddings.

It builds drama. I remember, by the time William and Harry, then other guests, then Kate's mom and brother, then Charles and Camilla, then Pippa and the kids, and then HMQ went through, the drama and the suspense was palpable... it was just really, really exciting to me... and the crowd got more and more amped up with William and Harry, then it lulled and built back up to HMQ and then reached a fever pitch with Kate... just wow.

It's kinda like getting excited about the pre-awards show and seeing people arrive and seeing the fans go crazy... I love the excitement of that. I'm also a sports fan and hearing crowds cheer wildly for epic moments really gives me chills... I often replay events just to experience the roar of the crowd again and feed off of the energy.

That's why I love seeing all of the build up to the actual ceremony. It gets me really hyped up on the pomp, circumstance and excitement of the crowd, and then I get all emotional during the ceremony, and then right back up to hyped again for the processional after the ceremony.

It's the perfect excitement-feels-excitement sandwich. :D

I hope that adequately explains my love for all 3 parts.

For me - yes - that's part of the pomp and circumstance that I love about royal weddings.

It builds drama. I remember, by the time William and Harry, then other guests, then Kate's mom and brother, then Charles and Camilla, then Pippa and the kids, and then HMQ went through, the drama and the suspense was palpable... it was just really, really exciting to me... and the crowd got more and more amped up with William and Harry, then it lulled and built back up to HMQ and then reached a fever pitch with Kate... just wow.

It's kinda like getting excited about the pre-awards show and seeing people arrive and seeing the fans go crazy... I love the excitement of that. I'm also a sports fan and hearing crowds cheer wildly for epic moments really gives me chills... I often replay events just to experience the roar of the crowd again and feed off of the energy.

That's why I love seeing all of the build up to the actual ceremony. It gets me really hyped up on the pomp, circumstance and excitement of the crowd, and then I get all emotional during the ceremony, and then right back up to hyped again for the processional after the ceremony.

It's the perfect excitement-feels-excitement sandwich. :D

I hope that adequately explains my love for all 3 parts.

Yes, red carpet is a great example. Celebrities walk down the red carpet, from their car. We don't see them driving in open cars, pap pictures, for blocks on end. We see their grand arrival at the ceremony, and walk inside.

How does a 10 minute drive make the queen's arrival at the church more exciting :ermm: I would think the arrival itself would be enough without the entire family parading around like a side show. Its not like the queen and others are going to sneak in some back door.

Yes, red carpet is a great example. Celebrities walk down the red carpet, from their car. We don't see them driving in open cars, pap pictures, for blocks on end. We see their grand arrival at the ceremony, and walk inside.

How does a 10 minute drive make the queen's arrival at the church more exciting :ermm: I would think the arrival itself would be enough without the entire family parading around like a side show. Its not like the queen and others are going to sneak in some back door.

You're kinda cherry picking apart what I said. But I guessed you would when I used the red carpet example... but I ALSO used the sports example, which explains it further.

It makes it more exciting to me because it simply does. I explained that it was the combo of the crowds, the cheering and the drama and buildup.

If you don't feel the same way, that's fine. I'm not really inclined to be on the defensive, defending why I like the pomp and circumstance of a royal wedding, including the drive to the church by multiple members and the reaction to them along the way.

Different strokes for different folks. My mom doesn't get excited about movie scores like my sister and I do and she's often perplexed by it. My sister and I will break down the notes and oooh and aaaah over seemingly insignificant details in a piece... my mom thinks we're nuts.

Same here. What excites me may not excite everyone - but we should be used to that - most people aren't as into this royalty stuff as we are - as we're here posting about it and others aren't.

Last edited:
I'm with Fashion Maven on this. One wedding I loved was all the guests arriving for Victoria and Daniel's wedding. They arrived spaced apart, walked towards the church, stopped for photo ops and kept going. We saw everyone arriving up close and personal. :D

That's kind of hard to do with Windsor but I'll be happy with whatever they give us. Each royal wedding I watch, I recognize more and more royals that aren't in the mainstream news here in the States.

Where is the Royal Lodge? Did she drive out of that and then drive down the Long Drive?

Royal Lodge is just south of the other end of the Long Walk. She left from there, then went toward the castle on the Long Walk, turning off right before the gate to go through the town instead of directly into the castle grounds.

Last edited:
I'm with Fashion Maven on this. One wedding I loved was all the guests arriving for Victoria and Daniel's wedding. They arrived spaced apart, walked towards the church, stopped for photo ops and kept going. We saw everyone arriving up close and personal. :D

That's kind of hard to do with Windsor but I'll be happy with whatever they give us. Each royal wedding I watch, I recognize more and more royals that aren't in the mainstream news here in the States.

The coverage will start quite early so I do believe we will see plenty of arrivals. I enjoy watching that aspect of it as well so I add me to the list. Haha. I have watched an interview with a local director of Windsor who seems very concerned about the amount of people in the crowds. He seemed a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out where to place all the people. I do think they underestimated a bit the amount of interest this wedding was going to receive or they just thought they could initially handle it. Seems they realizing that to be proving more difficult than they anticipated. I suspects lots of viewing screens going up.

Last edited:

There were spaced processions of foreign and local royals into the church not only at Victoria's, but also at Frederik's, Felipe's, Guillaume's and even Carl Philip's weddings. Harry and Meghan's wedding is meant to be a more low-key event, I think. In fact, if they could have it their way, I bet it would be an entirely private ceremony.

Last edited:
There were spaced processions of foreign and local royals into the church not only at Victoria's, but also at Frederik's, Felipe's, Guillaume's and even Carl Philip's weddings. Harry and Meghan's wedding is meant to be a more low-key event, I think. In fact, if they could have it their way, I bet it would be an entirely private ceremony.

LOL - well that was never going to happen for a son of the future Monarch. I can understand wanting that but it's literally a pipe dream.

And while they may want it to be low key - no way that it's going to be low key. That would be a pipe dream too. And isn't it technically happening on a holiday weekend?

That town probably won't be able to handle the number of people pouring into it. It's so close to London that many folks from there will likely try to go... Windsor is about to be in for it. I estimate more than 5 times the number of folks who showed up to cheer on Edward and Sophie will descend on Windsor.

I wonder if it was Meghan who really wanted Windsor, or if it was Harry who wanted it. Or both. And I wonder if the rumors about the old guard in the BRF wanting the Abbey are true and if they wanted the Abbey simply because they knew the crowds would be massive and likely overwhelm a place like Windsor.

I guess we'll never know but I do wonder what is going to happen that day. All of those crowds have to go somewhere.

Looking at the amazing pictures and aerial views of Windsor Castle and also the romance of the inside of the Castle, I can totally understand wanting to get married there... St. George's is beautiful and the inside of the castle is gorgeous... if I were Meghan and I fell in love there with Harry, I guess I'd want to be married there too!

Last edited:

Who said, that Meghan and Harry's wedding is meant to be a low-key event? Or that they'd want a private ceremony?

Meghan and Harry seem to be very aware of the public interest in their relationship, and have been quite accommodating to the public. It has been obvious from the start, that this would be smaller that W/K wedding, but still a big, televised wedding.

Yeah 800 guests is not a low key event.

LaRae

Who said, that Meghan and Harry's wedding is meant to be a low-key event? Or that they'd want a private ceremony? .

Their wedding is clearly "low key" compared to William and Kate's, or Charles and Diana's, which were respectively "semi-state" and state events. It is more in line with Edward and Sophie's wedding, albeit with greater media attention. I won't bother to point out the differences because they are self-evident IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom