Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find Will and Kate's so boring. The British weddings seem to be white: white flowers, white cakes, white...... I am hoping Meghan and Harry break a few moulds in cake and flowers. Or at least Eugenie. Hope at least one if not both weddings break out a bit.

I wouldn’t not mind if they did not have a white wedding cake. I would love if they had a yellow wedding cake, or in any other color. To me, yellow wedding cakes are very beautiful. It would be great if they had a yellow but traditional cake with flowers.

Last edited:
I thought American members in particular would like to know that a new IPSOS-MORI poll has just been released showing that 69 % of the respondents believe that Donald Trump should not be invited to Harry and Meghan's wedding, and only 23 % think that he should. If, however, president Obama is also invited, support for inviting president Trump rises to 39 %, although 54 % still think he should not be invited.

Last edited:
I believe Mr Trump said [whilst in Davos] that he expected to visit the United Kingdom 'in the later half of this year'.
That would preclude his attendance on the 19th May..

I thought American members in particular would like to know that a new IPSOS-MORI poll has just been released showing that 69 % of the respondents believe that Donald Trump should not be invited to Harry's and Meghan's wedding, and only 23 % think that he should. If, however, president Obama is also invited, support for inviting president Trump rises to 39 %, although 54 % still think he should not be invited.

Well, I think it would be a good idea to invite him.

He probably wouldn't attend, but it would be a friendly gesture and help repair the damage from the waffling over the state dinner.

As the song has it, [I]Politics the art of the possible.[/I]

:previous: It isn't up to Harry and Meghan to repair anything. It is their wedding and a private event. They are not even a semi state occasion. The leaders of other commonwealth countries are not going to be invited. So why should Trump be invited? Obama is not a sitting president, and his is a personal invite.

The government can fix what ever mess there is with state visits. Though it doesn't seem for one moment that it was the British totally or at all at fault for the issue. No need for Harry and Meghan to pander to him and his whims.

Politics is an art form you're correct. But remember, royals don't get involved in politics.

The wedding is not a state occasion so no current head of state would be invited unless they are friends, family or acquaintances. Harry and Meghan are not obliged to invite Trump. The Obamas were not invited to William and Kate's wedding while he was president, in fact, no sitting US president has ever attended a British royal wedding. Besides, it's been a year still the state visit was offered to Trump and from what has been reported he is not well liked in the UK for various reasons, pushing the state visit back (and now a "working visit" is on the table). Trump's remarks and actions may be the contributing factors for the results in the IPSOS poll; and it's been reported he backed out of the US embassy out of fear of protests. Members of Parliament dragging him on social media for the cancelled dedication doesn't help. There have also been reports that the UK government, specifically the Foreign Office, is trying to convince Harry and Meghan not to invite the Obamas, friends of Harry, out of fear of offending Trump if he's not invited. This last bit can be factoring into the poll results: a perception of Trump is trying to crash the wedding and pressuring Kensington Palace and and the government to keep the Obamas off the guest list and shoehorn himself and possibly FLOTUS (First Lady) onto it.

I believe there's a fear Trump's presence at the wedding will cause a scene and nobody wants that. Politics should not enter into the wedding but I'm afraid it has.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't be a matter of protests or anything else. Harry and Meghan have no relationship with the man, so no invite, plain and simple. :sad:

The only precedence for a Trump being invited would be Melania. Nancy Reagan attended while FLOTUS, but then again Diana and Charles' wedding WAS a state occasion, Harry and Meghan's isn't. And even then, her husband didn't attend. Nancy also attended Andrew and Fergie's wedding but the weddings of the younger children were much bigger occasions back in the 80s.

A reason politics have entered into it is Harry's very visible and recent involvement with the Obama's, that's partly what has sparked all the carrying on about invitations.

Frankly I don't know what difference it makes. It's a private wedding, the guest list is going to be based on their personal wishes not state requirements.

LaRae

I know it isn't up to Meghan and Harry to repair the damage.

I'm just saying that, since things are strained at the moment, it would be a politic gesture. He won't go, so why not?
In any case, it sure wouldn't hurt!

I'm sorry but since it would be a political gesture is exactly why he should not be invited to a private royal non-state family wedding. The royal family are not to be used to make political guestures. Added to that, Harry has a relationship with the Obamas, so if he may not be able to invite them, why invite Trump? Meghan is on public record as being anti-Trump.

Last but not least, Windsor is going to be locked down security wise for large crowds. Can you imagine if Trump is invited and attends and the large protests that would result? I don't think that the royal family or the government want images of protests in connection with a royal wedding being beamed around the world.

Last edited:
I really like Madeline and Chris's. It looks like it wasn't really cake but a artful display of macarons. Cake is always so disappointing/overrated as a food, but macarons are consistently delicious little delights!

I agree with your sentiment about cake not being the most interesting of deserts. :flowers: But for prettiness/handsomeness I like the Monaco cake better. It's amazing. ;) The macaroon 'cake' (display) suffers from a bad picture (I think).

I know it isn't up to Meghan and Harry to repair the damage.

I'm just saying that, since things are strained at the moment, it would be a politic gesture. He won't go, so why not?
In any case, it sure wouldn't hurt!

So should they invite every single head of state of any of their allied countries? I mean you wouldn't want to insult all their trading partners by inviting one and not the rest right? What would it say that they invited Trump and not the heads of the commonwealth countries? Getting an invitation to a wedding is not going to smooth anything with Trump.

And royals are not to be involved in politics, at all. Charles gets criticized for it. So why would you suggest Harry and Meghan get involved with it now???

A reason politics have entered into it is Harry's very visible and recent involvement with the Obama's, that's partly what has sparked all the carrying on about invitations.

Frankly I don't know what difference it makes. It's a private wedding, the guest list is going to be based on their personal wishes not state requirements.

Obama is not a sitting president. He is a private citizen. It is no longer a political situation. Now if they invite Justin Trudeau and his wife, it may cause some political comments. Because there will be people who don't understand that Sophie and Meghan are friends, and its personal invite.

Obama is not a sitting president. He is a private citizen. It is no longer a political situation. Now if they invite Justin Trudeau and his wife, it may cause some political comments. Because there will be people who don't understand that Sophie and Meghan are friends, and its personal invite.

Presidents (even former ones) are always political figures. Just the nature of the beast.

LaRae

I'm sorry but since it would be a political gesture is exactly why he should not be invited to a private royal non-state family wedding. The royal family are not to be used to make political guestures. Added to that, Harry has a relationship with the Obamas, so if he may not be able to invite them, why invite Trump? Meghan is on public record as being anti-Trump.

I disagree in part. When the British government told the Queen to hold a state dinner for Nicolae Ceaușescu or Robert Mugabe, it was using the Queen to make a political gesture. In fact, state visits or official visits to the UK in which the Queen and other members of the Royal Family take part are almost always political and reflect the political goals of the British government and of the Foreign Office.

Having said that, I agree that Harry and Meghan's wedding is not a state occasion and the guest list should be a private matter. Still, if Trump attended as a guest, even if it were not an official visit, it would provide an opportunity for him to meet the Queen personally for the first time at the post-wedding reception, which would be a political gesture by the British government. I just don't think it is necessary since Trump will probably have his full state visit to the UK in the second half of the year unless something unexpected happens.

Last edited:
Just to be a bit petty on my part as well....but why should Trump be invited when he has not even congratulated the couple on their engagement?!! An American girl is getting married to a senior Prince in the most famous royal family in the world....and the tweeter in chief of the country where the girl was born has been silent!

It's not like Trump is going to show up with a toaster or something. He won't go! But he will remember.

My point is, nobody is offended by receiving an invitation; it's when they don't get one that there's a grudge.

If it's awkward because of the Head of State status, then invite Melania (Harry has met her) and that will do the trick.

I've deleted some comments about Brexit and trade deals between various countries. It's fine to discuss whether Obama or Trump will get invited/attend the wedding, but let's leave politics out of it. Thanks.

All the more reason not to invite Trump . By sending an invitation as a gesture it would be assumed Trump would turn it down given the current climate in the UK, but he would be flattered. If he sees the invitation as making up for not having a full state visit and accepts, the BRF and the government would be stuck and have to hope there wouldn't be wide outrage.

All the more reason not to invite Trump . By sending an invitation as a gesture it would be assumed Trump would turn it down given the current climate in the UK, but he would be flattered. If he sees the invitation as making up for not having a full state visit and accepts, the BRF and the government would be stuck and have to hope there wouldn't be wide outrage.

I am not so sure Trump would decline an invitation to wedding. On the contrary, I think he would attend if invited.

It's not like Trump is going to show up with a toaster or something. He won't go! But he will remember.

My point is, nobody is offended by receiving an invitation; it's when they don't get one that there's a grudge.

If it's awkward because of the Head of State status, then invite Melania (Harry has met her) and that will do the trick.

So you pander to one trade partner??? How about the other ones? Do only Americans matter? Or should Harry just invite every single head of state of a British trading partner so he doesn't offend any of them. And hope they don't all bring him the same toaster?

That's all it is, pandering, butt kissing. British bending over backwards and kissing the back end of an over inflated president. This is not a state occasion, this is a private wedding.

I guess the heads of Germany, France, Switzerland, Netherlands, China, Belgium, Ireland, as well as you probably better include the commonwealth countries not to anger them, should pander for invitations too.

You call it pandering, I call it politic.

This is a special case, because Harry is marrying an American.
You do whatever is best for your country.

Last edited:
Considering what Trump said about Princess Diana, it would be cruel to ask Harry to invite Trump. Plus like William's wedding, Harry's won't be a full state occassion. If William didn't have then President Obama at his wedding, why would the soon to be 6th in line have to invite Trump?

There is no need for Trump to be invited or to attend. Let Harry and Meghan invite who they want. Leave the politics to the state visits.

So you pander to one trade partner??? How about the other ones? Do only Americans matter? Or should Harry just invite every single head of state of a British trading partner so he doesn't offend any of them. And hope they don't all bring him the same toaster?

That's all it is, pandering, butt kissing. British bending over backwards and kissing the back end of an over inflated president. This is not a state occasion, this is a private wedding.

I guess the heads of Germany, France, Switzerland, Netherlands, China, Belgium, Ireland, as well as you probably better include the commonwealth countries not to anger them, should pander for invitations too.

The Governor Generals and PMs of several Commonwealth realms were invited to William's wedding, weren't they ? I recall that the PMs of Australia and NZ were in attendance. The Canadian PM couldn't go, but GG David Johnston attended the wedding. Will they be invited also to Harry's wedding ? I think they should be, even if it is not a state occasion.

But the country should not fear reprisals if Trump doesn't get an invitation. That's why the Foreign Office is putting pressure on Harry not to invite Obama so not to offend Trump, according to reports. It's ridiculous, but it shows what the government thinks of Trump. Let this be a happy day for Harry and Meghan.

Considering what Trump said about Harry's mother I think there is not a snowballs' chance in hell he would be invited, and that goes even if it WAS a state occasion. Neither Harry nor William or the RF as a whole strike me as the forgiving or pandering type. Trump made disgusting personal remarks about a recently deceased woman and their adored mother. He didn't just cross the line, he did a a belly flop over it.

Just to be a bit petty on my part as well....but why should Trump be invited when he has not even congratulated the couple on their engagement?!! An American girl is getting married to a senior Prince in the most famous royal family in the world....and the tweeter in chief of the country where the girl was born has been silent!

Trump probably knows what Meghan has said about him, not to mention, he may remember what he said about Harry's mother. Perhaps he's experiencing a rare moment of shame over it, and does not want the negative Twitter responses such as the ones Ivanka received when she congratulated them.

I am not so sure Trump would decline an invitation to wedding. On the contrary, I think he would attend if invited.

I tend to agree. I think it could create tremendous problems and see no need to invite him.

The Governor Generals and PMs of several Commonwealth realms were invited to William's wedding, weren't they ? I recall that the PMs of Australia and NZ were in attendance. The Canadian PM couldn't go, but GG David Johnston attended the wedding. Will they be invited also to Harry's wedding ? I think they should be, even if it is not a state occasion.

William's wedding was not completely a private occasion though--he is the heir to the heir, so it was more a semi-state wedding. That's one of the reasons William's wedding was at the Abbey.

When it comes to Harry and Meghan's wedding and the invitations they want to send out. I would wager that the Obamas would be invited because Harry has had occasions to interact and work with them on several occasions and seem to have struck up a friendship. The Trumps will not be invited solely because Harry or Meghan do not even know the couple or have even met them.

As mentioned before, the security would be a nightmare. Its just not going to happen. A private wedding such as this will be is not the time to play politics and have any other purpose other than celebrating the union of the two people getting married.

Trump probably knows what Meghan has said about him, not to mention, he may remember what he said about Harry's mother. Perhaps he's experiencing a rare moment of shame over it, and does not want the negative Twitter responses such as the ones Ivanka received when she congratulated them.

Piers Morgan has an new interview with Trump where he tells Trump what Meghan said about him. I haven't seen it but apparently Trump takes the high road. :ohmy: Who would have ever thought?! :lol:

Anyway, I highly doubt Trump will be at the wedding or that he will even be invited. Just don't see any reason why he would be.

Frome an outtake from Piers Morgan's interview with Trump, the wedding came up. Trump wished happiness for both of them and he doesn't know about an invitation. Piers reminded Trump of Meghan's criticism of him, and he still wished them happiness. Given what is known about Trump I believe he wants the invitation and the state visit. Going after Meghan, future princess of the United Kingdom, could blow both things out of the water...or he's afraid it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom