Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Harry wouldn’t come in unexpected and accidentally see it? :lol:

I'm sure she can arrange for him to go out.

OT but when I worked in bridal, one bride brought her fiancé and insisted he help choose her dress, said she couldn't imagine it not being a joint decision! The only one in the whole 18 months I worked there!!

In the privacy of home, why not practice in the actual dress? The sheets thing is only so nobody sees the bridal gown.

I don’t mean in Nott Cott. I mean someplace in KP where she can practice walking and if she chooses, sure she could have on her dress. I’m sure there is a long hall somewhere in there.

I'm sure she can arrange for him to go out.

OT but when I worked in bridal, one bride brought her fiancé and insisted he help choose her dress, said she couldn't imagine it not being a joint decision! The only one in the whole 18 months I worked there!!

I know some cultures don’t see it as bad luck. In fact, some have photos taken before the wedding and have them displayed at weddings.

I’ve never heard of that jacqui24 but to each their own.

There is no way the not rehearsing that. I work events for a living and if there are camera there is a rehearsal. It doesn't necessarily mean Meghan will be there for all of it. In fact she likely wouldn't. She would do the basics like walk down the aisle in her shoes and have a basically play by play. That's it. The rest will be stands in for the production team. They will need to have time for the director to have a tech. It is a live event afterall.

As for whether she might have a bachelorette party or something? I could see it. I think she will want something with her girls before. It is a big thing here in America. I can't say what the UK customs are but I think there will be a decent compromise.

I hope she has all the fun girly stuff leading up to her big day. Who doesn’t want that!

If she goes about it like she's been doing everything else it will be kept pretty quiet.

LaRae

Probably but they could throw a surprise at any one of the places where she been lying low

William and Kate had a rehersal at the abbey on the 27th of April. So I would think that Meghan and Harry certainly will.

Where would she practice walking in the palace? Other then private apartments, they are working offices and spaces open to many people. Not a lot of privacy. And Notts cottage doesn't sound like it has much room to do so.

I hate comparing to Kate, but a hen party even at this level is possible. Kate had a low key night in with the girls. Something similar could be done for Meghan. Or possibly when back in the US as we know she will be.

Royal wedding: Kate Middleton has 'quiet night in with friends' for hen party | Daily Mail Online

It is nothing to compare. It is just expected. Of course they will rehearse it. And Meghan having a gathering with her girls is also expected. I expect nothing less.

I can think of a huge gallery in KP where the walls are lined with old paintings. It is open to the public but she could practice in the evening after closing time.

I'm not sure that Meghan will have her actual dress beforehand to practice. I would think the designer would have it locked up safe and will bring it to her where ever she gets ready on the wedding day.
I agree, there will be at least one rehearsal at St George's with the wedding party and some more rehearsals with stand-ins. It may be a couple days ahead of time rather than the evening beforehand though.

Last edited:
There must be a rehearsal (but maybe not a full rehearsal). I agree that she wouldn't wear the actual dress for rehearsal/practice but would wear a sheet with same length and fabric as her dress/train. She definitely has to adjust/learn how to walk with that long train gracefully.

We saw pics of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden rehearsing in the church with a sheet as a train.

If Meghan has all children (which I think might be best), someone will have to take charge
of them (Like Kate did for Pippa's wedding).
Maybe her wedding-planner friend?

I'm not sure that Meghan will have her actual dress beforehand to practice. I would think the designer would have it locked up safe and will bring it to her where ever she gets ready on the wedding day.
I agree, there will be at least one rehearsal at St George's with the wedding party and some more rehearsals with stand-ins. It may be a couple days ahead of time rather than the evening beforehand though.

She doesn't need the dress nor would she wear it. The only thing people recommend in dress rehearsals are typically the shoes. They want you as comfortable with the floor and stairs as possible.

She won't be wearing her actual wedding dress to the rehearsal. Harry's going to be there. He's not going to see the dress until the moment she walks up that aisle and stand next to him. Technically, we'll all see it before he does. :lol:

In other news, it's exactly five months until the wedding!!! ???

I'm not Meghan but I know I would really feel the heebeejeebees if the first time I entered the church to walk down that aisle was on the actual wedding day. It would feel somewhat daunting, I think.

One thing about royal weddings is everything is timed precisely and people are told what time to arrive at the church to be seated. I would think they start by the back of the church with the Queen as the last to arrive before the bridal procession. The bridal procession is timed with the music so it is done just right too.

One custom I've seen done here a lot is that the bows and ribbons are collected from the bridal shower gifts and made into a bouquet on a paper plate to be used at the rehearsal. Rehearsing things does take a lot of nervousness away (but not all) from the actual wedding day.

Things are going to go just fine. :D

The first thought I had, also, on hearing of this appointment was that he may wear that uniform for his wedding. I did find a picture of the dress uniform for the Royal Marines and it is very impressive but I still like the Household Calvary of the Blues and the Royals better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roy...AhVCeSYKHbk9AugQ9QEIMzAE#imgrc=Pt_BdgcN4kcb4M:

Maybe HM, the Queen prefers a splash of red somewhere on royal grooms?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Osipi, and I did wonder whether marines are allowed beards and whether, as this is a very senior rank whether he will be wearing that on his wedding day. A blues and Royal uniform with beard might cause a bit of fuss again perhaps!

Yes, Osipi, and I did wonder whether marines are allowed beards and whether, as this is a very senior rank whether he will be wearing that on his wedding day. A blues and Royal uniform with beard might cause a bit of fuss again perhaps!

I remember the Marines allow for beard when that whole uniform issue came up this year. It was so random. He wore the same thing last year and there is nothing wrong with it. All of sudden, there is all this drama this year.

I remember the Marines allow for beard when that whole uniform issue came up this year. It was so random. He wore the same thing last year and there is nothing wrong with it. All of sudden, there is all this drama this year.

Good point. :D

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.

With today's new appointment of Harry as Captain General Royal Marines today. Now the question isn't just what the bride will wear. What will Harry wear? His Royals and Blues uniform or the new uniform?

I posted this link in Harry's Current Events thread and it bears reposting here as its here we'll talk about the uniform and the wedding.

My thoughts are most likely he will wear the ceremonial uniform of the Royal Marines because:

a) It will be the top position in the military that he has at the time of his wedding.

b) He will not have to shave his beard off as the Royal Marines allow beards while there was a big kerfluffle about Harry's beard and the Blues and the Royals uniform.

c) I think HM, The Queen has a penchant for seeing red on royal grooms hence William's bright red Irish Guard uniform for his and the Royal Marine uniform has nice splashes of red. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=roy...AhVCeSYKHbk9AugQ9QEIMzAE#imgrc=Pt_BdgcN4kcb4M:

Seems a no brainer to me: he will wear the uniform of his highest position.

Interesting tidbit of information that a beard is allowed with this uniform. What were the queen's other options for Harry (or is that already being discussed elsewhere)?

Except, there is no tradition barring it. And rehearsal dinner is for the bridal party and people that involved in the wedding to do a walk through as to what will happen next day, so that everyone knows what to expect. Not sure what does that have to do with it being her second marriage.

My reasoning was that British tradition should prevail at this marriage. Of course, it should be as much as possible adapted to the couple's wishes (and as I said in my post, having 'something' the evening before seems fine) but the suggested 'she may want it' isn't a good enough argument in my book. I am sure they have many ideas and most will be incorporated and some might not. However, Meghan already was in the position in which she could organize her first wedding exactly the way she/they wanted, this time is different as she is marrying into the BRF.

My reasoning was that British tradition should prevail at this marriage. Of course, it should be as much as possible adapted to the couple's wishes (and as I said in my post, having 'something' the evening before seems fine) but the suggested 'she may want it' isn't a good enough argument in my book. I am sure they have many ideas and most will be incorporated and some might not. However, Meghan already was in the position in which she could organize her first wedding exactly the way she/they wanted, this time is different as she is marrying into the BRF.

And my view on it is that unless there is some reason that it's undoable or can't be done, Harry and Meghan will get what they want for this wedding as they are leading the charge on this by all indications. I don't think Meghan is in any lesser "position" because she had a wedding before. If she wants a simple get together with the bridal party of some members of the bridal party, I don't see that as something that will be barred because of tradition. This isn't any less of her wedding because she had one before, and there will be elements of things that are perhaps are not typically done in it.

And on top of that, rehearsal dinners have nothing to do with whether or not someone has had a wedding before. It is to rehearse the process and walk through the wedding, and then there is a dinner get together after that. The get together is typically just the family and those involved in the wedding. And as people mention before, there will definitely be a walk through.

I think we can assume that the second wedding issue is basically being treated as a non-issue for this wedding.

Last edited:

But the wedding will be heavy on British tradition. I don't see how including some of her American influence is a bad thing as she is one. It is her wedding as well and unless it is some huge clash I don't see the issue.

Maybe for the same reason she picked the Irish Guards for William before his wedding. She likes the uniforms. Especially if they have red in them.

(ducks and runs for cover) :hiding:

Happy to repeat that I don't see a reason why family and/or friends cannot gather on the night before if that is what Harry and Meghan would like.

Personally, I don't see how the dinner has anything to do with the rehearsal. The rehearsal could easily be done one or a few days in advance without a (formal) rehearsal dinner.

The first comment in this specific discussion was about the Brits not doing rehearsal dinners (and still getting married just fine), so if the couple or the family/household would think that having a rehearsal dinner might construct the wrong image - in the eyes of people in her new country - that to me would be a very good reason not to do it.

I agree that had this been her first marriage, the same would apply, although I can imagine that she might have been given a little more leeway (by the public) as this would be the day she 'always dreamed about as a little girl' - however, that day she already had (although Meghan doesn't come across as someone who had big dreams about her wedding day). This one is not about fulfilling dreams about the perfect wedding day but about showing her commitment to a British prince, his family and country.

But the wedding will be heavy on British tradition. I don't see how including some of her American influence is a bad thing as she is one. It is her wedding as well and unless it is some huge clash I don't see the issue.
I fully agree! If there is a (perceived) clash (by the British people not from an American perspective) British tradition should prevail, if not, incorporating some other aspects is fine - if that is what the couple wishes.

Happy to repeat that I don't see a reason why family and/or friends cannot gather on the night before if that is what Harry and Meghan would like.

Personally, I don't see how the dinner has anything to do with the rehearsal. The rehearsal could easily be done one or a few days in advance without a (formal) rehearsal dinner.

The first comment in this specific discussion was about the Brits not doing rehearsal dinners (and still getting married just fine), so if the couple or the family/household would think that having a rehearsal dinner might construct the wrong image - in the eyes of people in her new country - that to me would be a very good reason not to do it.

I agree that had this been her first marriage, the same would apply, although I can imagine that she might have been given a little more leeway (by the public) as this would be the day she 'always dreamed about as a little girl' - however, that day she already had (although Meghan doesn't come across as someone who had big dreams about her wedding day). This one is not about fulfilling dreams about the perfect wedding day but about showing her commitment to a British prince, his family and country.
I'm not sure how offending the British people comes into play here over rehearsal dinner, as that's all we were talking about. Anyways, I don't think Meghan would really do anything that would go as far as offending the British people as I can't imagine anything small in someone else's wedding should offend people. Plus, this wedding will probably end up exceeding most little girls' dreams about their own wedding. Although, I suppose I should question that judging based on the reaction to the date of the wedding. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom