Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An absolutely absurd 'tempest in a teacup'..

Those [likely relatively few] passionate about both events will plump to prioritise one over the other and watch the on 'catch-up' later on...assuming they are unable to cope with two events that take place HOURS apart on the same day...

As for the Police.. we have MORE than enough [with plenty of experience] to handle two events in a single day..

Last edited:
The police had fully 7 YEARS to plan, train and rehearse what they were going to do during the Olympics. They drafted police from all over the UK as well as the Army and private companies to help with security. For this they have a heck of a lot less time.

The Met Police in London may have 37,000+ officers but only a very tiny % of those officers are armed - that is the point I am making. There will be a premium on armed police that weekend as the security operation for events like this doesn't just encompass the few hours during which they happen but also the days leading up to them.

The Queen could quite easily have left Balmoral for 1 single day in July or August. The Queen's Flight would have got her there in supreme comfort and she would've been back in Scotland with the midges within what, 12 hours?

Plus the chances of good weather would have been better. The idea that it had to be May and no other month is pure fantasy.

July and August are actually out of the question, because the fiance visa requires them to get married within 6 months. As Meghan most likely got her visa in the beginning of December, they couldn't wait until July or August to get married. May seems to have been the only option, and it's beginning to look like a fact.

And to even suggest, that The Queen would just travel for one day from Scotland for the wedding, when May 19 is a very good option, and the Queen doesn't need to travel much for it.

The police force is very capable of managing one day with two busy events. If they weren't, the wedding wouldn't be happening, as they of course have been part of the discussion.

Last edited:
There is another possible scenario that Harry and Meghan could have gone with and created less friction for FA finals day. They very well could have declared that they will marry simply at St. George's Chapel on May 19th and due to the FA final game, it would be a family and friends only event. No televised ceremony, no carriage rides through the streets of Windsor and totally leave the public out of everything. They could even have announced that the wedding party and all friends that were interested would travel then to Wembley stadium to watch the FA final game and William would present the medals in full tuxedo and then back to Windsor Castle afterwards for the after party.

And we really think people are complaining now? it'd be far worse hue and cry and moaning and bitchin' and wails of anguish if the public was excluded from Harry's wedding. :D

I think everyone has said their piece about the wedding date. The discussion has started to become repetitive, let's please move on.

Posts discussing visas have been deleted. As have some in-fighting regarding whether Americans care about the wedding and will be watching it. Let's keep that kind of speculation out of the thread please.

Also, can we please be respectful of one another. It's extremely unfair for others who are trying to stay on-topic and carry on meaningful discussion, to have to come in here and wade through a bunch of in-fighting and personal insults between members. If you feel a post is violating the forum rules, please report it instead of contributing to the disruption of the thread.

Last edited:
So moving on to the wedding--how much will the military troops actually be participating in this wedding given it is at Windsor rather than marching though the streets of London?

Is rice allowed to be thrown as the bride and groom leave St. George's Chapel?

Is rice allowed to be thrown as the bride and groom leave St. George's Chapel?

I don't think throwing rice has been part of a royal wedding in some time, and usually not within a church. When Edward and Sophie left the church, everyone was behind them, not lining the stairs waiting to throw rice either.

Though when Prince Leopold of Albanny married there, rice and slippers were thrown from what I have read.

Its been a very long time since I've attended a wedding where rice was allowed to be thrown at the bride and groom. One reason I'm told that the practice has stopped is that the thrown rice is actually dangerous for our avian friends in the area. Most weddings I've been to of late have replaced throwing rice with having the guests blowing bubbles at the bride and the groom. I love it actually. :D

One reason I'm told that the practice has stopped is that the thrown rice is actually dangerous for our avian friends in the area.

Yes, which is why they now throw bird seeds or rose petals. Most brides I know preferred roses, since it’s a pain getting seeds out of your hair or dress top/bra.

I haven’t seen anything thrown in church grounds for a very long time. Same with outdoor weddings

:previous: Same here Rob. I haven't seen anything thrown, or bubbles blown, in years if ever honestly. And have attended outdoor weddings.

But the no rice thing, both for mess and birds, makes sense. Flower petals seem far more romantic anyways, or bubbles.

To be honest, I think holding the wedding on the Cup Final is a good move. It could draw more people. If you happen to be in London for a soccer match, and you here about a royal wedding, you would most likely see if you can watch it in person. Same can be said for those attending who like soccer, after the wedding you can travel to London for the game. Two popular public events on one day is smart.

I agree! and PW could record a tongue-in-cheek video message to the teams sending his "regrets" in which he mentions he had an obligation that couldn't be helped. The Queen's wonderful James Bond bit for the welcome at the Olympics proves that a little whimsy, joining two great UK institutions (BRF and Soccer) would be great fun.

:previous: Oh what a wonderful suggestion Lady Glendower. It also puts me in mind of the mic drop video Harry and his grandmother did with the Obamas for the Invictus Games when they were being held in Orlando, Florida. I could just see Harry sending a tongue-in-cheek message to the FA final game expressing his apologies that he couldn't be there (maybe with William in the video too) stating along with his apologies "but well... you know how wives are.... especially on their wedding day." It would be a classic never forgotten. :D

May 5th must've been out of the question due to Kate. And the 19th falls on a Canadian holiday, so Meghan's loved ones from Canada could attend.

There were so many moving pieces to consider, and I'm thinking the pride and groom's needs were considered the first priority, even over the FA cup final.

I wish they had picked May 24, which is Queen Victoria's birthday. Actually that is what the above-referenced Canadian holiday celebrates, except that it is always anticipated to a Monday if I understand it correctly.

I will be upset if it is NOT televised. I won't get up early, but I will record it. My recording it has nothing to do with Harry and Meghan because I did the same thing for William and Kate. It is just that I intensely hate getting up early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hoping with as much interest as their is one of the free channels that will show it...otherwise I'll have to watch it online.

LaRae

I didn’t even think of that Pranter. CNN had Cambridge wedding so I’m keeping fingers crossed!

I got up early for Diana and Charles, and many years later, got up early for William and Kate. My stepmother and I had bloody marys watching William and Kate, we figured what the heck. ?

I'm sure it will be a network broadcast. It will be a Saturday morning. No news, no morning talk shows, and a great opportunity for ratings. The wedding, when televised, will be up against cartoons (East Coast anyway) and public service programming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got up early for Diana and Charles, and many years later, got up early for William and Kate. My stepmother and I had bloody marys watching William and Kate, we figured what the heck. ?

Nice! Up early too for Charles and Diana, no drinks though, just had a baby.

I've deleted the on-going discussion about whether anyone in the US cares about the wedding.

I wish they had picked May 24, which is Queen Victoria's birthday. Actually that is what the above-referenced Canadian holiday celebrates, except that it is always anticipated to a Monday if I understand it correctly.

Yes Victoria day is always celebrated on a weekend, so Monday. Pretty standard with our non static holidays here. It falls on the last Monday before Victoria's birthday, so between 18-24. It has duel purpose. We celebrate Victoria who we consider the mother of confederation, but also the current monarch's birthday.

In Canada, even if the weather doesn't agree, May is considered the start of summer and holiday thoughts. A lot of people consider kick off for camping. Its a very popular weekend for weddings.

Nice! Up early too for Charles and Diana, no drinks though, just had a baby.

My mother would say the same. Well not just, but up for a early morning feed, I was 3 months old.

Last edited:
Thanks Countessmeout for explaining Victoria Day. I always wondered how people celebrate it. Mums think alike to see to the wedding, both feeding our daughters!

Last edited:
I think until a few years ago it wasn't that common to see British men wearing wedding rings. There was a bit of a class thing going on. It was regarded in some quarters as naff and working class. More men wear them now but I don't know that royals and aristos do so, even now. It doesn't seem to be their thing.
Edward VII and George V both wore wedding rings on their left ring fingers.

I didn't think throwing rice had ever been a tradition much in the UK. It has always been confetti that is thrown. Nowadays some venues don't allow it, but I imagine biodegradable confetti or confetti made of rice paper would be allowed.

I can't remember if I actually watched any of the coverage of Charles and Diana's wedding on the TV as my kids were 5, 6 and 9 at the time and those years are kind of a blur. I remember though that I was up all night leading into Will & Kate's wedding and had it on the TV, the internet feed and of course, was logged into here at TRF.

We have it made when it comes to this royal wedding. We won't miss a thing. We can be comfy in our PJs and sparkly tiara (how often do we really get a personal tiara event?) and have everything close by whether it be champagne, coffee (for us real early US risers) and snacks galore. We'll have live internet feeds along with TV coverage (do we really thing that US channels will *not* show one of our own marrying into the British royal family?) and best of all, we have our own global community here to celebrate with. These threads here will be flowing like a live chat hookup.

I don't want it to come too soon. I want to enjoy all the lead up to the wedding and all the wonderful discussions we're having here. Maybe its because I rode dinosaurs to school that it seems like only yesterday I was enjoying Will and Kate's wedding but I do know time passes by too quickly and I want to savor this wedding as it'll probably be the last grand royal wedding for a very long time.

Oh... and another thing. Sleep is overrated. I can do that anytime. Royal weddings are special. :D

The week of Harry & Meghan’s Engagement announcement, all 3 of the major networks ABC, CBS & NBC showed daily stories on their morning news programmes. ABC has already aired a documentary on Meghan, CNN has also. The various video are also available on the internet, as that is how I saw most of them. I’m sure if they did daily coverage for the Engagement, there must be plans to show the wedding in the US too.

I know Major TV networks in Canada covered the Harry & Meghan’s Engagement News & Interviews, and a lot of that video is also available online. Hopefully for those that are interested, there will be many ways available to watch and enjoy the wedding!

And it is just beginning. There is a lot of interest in this wedding and each time new facts comes out they trend on twitter. I laughed when I woke up to the date trending. The upcoming holiday pictures will feed the drought and still patiently waiting on the engagement portraits. Though the real fun begins around March when the royal fever really kicks in.

In the words of the very memorable Al Jolson, ""Wait a minute, wait a minute I tell yer, you ain't heard nothin' yet" :D

If the engagement announcement and wedding date release are any sign of things to come, its just getting started. We have already had 'Harry and Meghan' specials on American channels. People who are hoping they will just disappear may want to turn off their televisions, wont be happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom