Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember right, Will and Kate's wedding started at 11 AM London time. Prewedding TV coverage started around 4 or 5 am London time if I remember right.

One thing I do remember happening is that these threads here on TRF were very, very active throughout the night and up to and through the royal wedding and for weeks afterwards. :D

OK. Question here. Just how many of the police force that will be required to provide security for this royal wedding would actually have been stationed to the FA cup final? Is the security force in the UK and the London/Windsor are so small that they couldn't cover both events?

It was mentioned that the troops that would be participating in the royal wedding would also be involved in the practice and the actual Trooping of the Color, are these the same members of the police force that would provide the security for a football game? Just doing a quick search, it came up that there are 33,367 police officers working for the Metropolitan Police in the London area alone. I think those numbers are adequate to provide security for just about anything that happens.

I'm sure lots of police will be working that day, with two big events, but really it is one day. I don't believe this wasn't discussed with the proper people who have to provide security. And don't they sometimes they use military for extra security?

People keep talking about troops participating, but this wedding is a more low key wedding at Windsor, not a state or semi-state wedding in London. How many troops will actually be involved?

Last edited:
The wedding will be in the morning and over by early afternoon. The FA Cup will kick off early evening. Hours will separate these events. I don't think it will be as big of an issue as some think it will be. That said, it will be a very busy and fun day over all no matter your fancy.

The two events won’t clash due to the time. Don’t the FA Cup Final starts in the evening? By 12pm Harry and Meghan will be married. After that, folks will just be watching the climax of the wedding, procession and post wedding clips.

I just hope we get full royal family and Markle family portraits. Also, Pictures of the bride alone. It disappointed me that we didn’t get that for the Cambridge’s wedding.

Last edited:
That is correct. The last FA Cup kicked off at 5:30PM. The wedding will be over by 12pm at the latest. IIRC, William and Kate (which was massive) was done by that time and when I mean done they were kissing on the balcony by 1pm. I remember very well finishing watching it and then was out shopping by mid afternoon. That gives everyone at least 4 hours. It will be fine.

So everyone should calm down about these two events taking place on the same day. There will be no clash and folks will be able to watch the game later on.

Folks need to understand that these royal wedding dates are very well thought out, planned and family schedules are taken into account.

If they had to accommodate even a football game, they wouldn’t be able to get married until end of October, if ever.

Someone mentioned July and August, actually they wouldn’t be able to. The Queen and Prince Phillip is at Balmoral at that point until October.

BRF engagements are usually only 6 months. There is no reason why this couple should have to keep waiting just to make it convenient for everyone else over every little thing. On top of that, there are also legal reasons why they can’t marry much beyond early June, which would clash with bigger events.

No one else said this, but I will. The fact of matter is the bride is already 36 here. And if they want a family, they’ll likely start trying right away. Meghan will turn 37 in August. There is no reason why they should have to put off that next stage of their lives together for a football game. If people don’t like it, just don’t watch.

Last edited:
If they had to accommodate even a football game, they wouldn’t be able to get married until end of October, if ever.

Someone mentioned July and August, actually they wouldn’t be able to. The Queen and Prince Phillip is at Balmoral at that point until October.

I believe the Queen doesn't go to Balmoral until August, When George was born she was quoted as saying the baby needed to get here since she was leaving for Balmoral soon-he was born July 22.
Andrew & Sarah got married July 23 and Charles & Diana July 29.

I think Harry and Meghan didn't want to wait another two months to get married.

I wonder will Harry and Meghan use any of Camilla’s grandchildren. William and Kate had Eliza Lopes.

Lola Parker Bowles will be 10 and her brother Freddie 8. The Lopes twins will also be 8.

I know Diana’s sisters have young grandchildren so it would be nice to see one of them used.

I believe the Queen doesn't go to Balmoral until August, When George was born she was quoted as saying the baby needed to get here since she was leaving for Balmoral soon-he was born July 22.
Andrew & Sarah got married July 23 and Charles & Diana July 29.

I think Harry and Meghan didn't want to wait another two months to get married.

The Queen used to go later when the two earlier marriages happened. When the Queen Mother was alive, they always waited until after her birthday (aug 4) to go. But they’ve been going in July in recent years.

And I’m sure they didn’t. BRF engagements usually is only about six months. Why should they have to wait much longer than the rest?

I wonder will Harry and Meghan use any of Camilla’s grandchildren. William and Kate had Eliza Lopes.

Lola Parker Bowles will be 10 and her brother Freddie 8. The Lopes twins will also be 8.

I know Diana’s sisters have young grandchildren so it would be nice to see one of them used.
Meghan also have goddaughters and Ivy Mulroney that are of the bridesmaid age. I don’t think everyone will be included and it will be more evenly spread out between both sides for this couple.

So everyone should calm down about these two events taking place on the same day. There will be no clash and folks will be able to watch the game later on.

Folks need to understand that these royal wedding dates are very well thought out, planned and family schedules are taken into account.

Yeppers. That's what we all need to do. Keep calm and carry on.

Harry and Meghan have no qualms at all about the date. The BRF has no qualms about the date. The Metropolitan Police and any security that will be needed have no qualms about it and perhaps some are even overjoyed as they'll be called in for overtime pay even. Us royal watchers have no qualms about the date as we know where we'll be glued to. Football fans have no qualms about the date as they know their game will go on rain or shine or royal wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t this met police handle a 16 day international sporting event with numerous foreign dignitaries at multiple locations across the southern UK without incident just a few years ago? Compared to the Olympics, I would think this a Windsor wedding/FA Cup final would be easy.

The Queen used to go later when the two earlier marriages happened. When the Queen Mother was alive, they always waited until after her birthday (aug 4) to go. But they’ve been going in July in recent years.

And I’m sure they didn’t. BRF engagements usually is only about six months. Why should they have to wait much longer than the rest?

The Queen arrived in Scotland late July this year (2017) and took up residence at Balmoral in August, so I think if Harry and Meghan had wanted to marry in July, barring other events, they could have without disturbing his grandmother's plans.

Last edited:
Didn’t this met police handle a 16 day international sporting event with numerous foreign dignitaries at multiple locations across the southern UK without incident just a few years ago? Compared to the Olympics, I would think this a Windsor wedding/FA Cup final would be easy.

Excellent observation. When we think of the coverage of security for a major event like the Olympic Games with sporting events even happening simultaneously all over the place, this wedding/FA football game does sound like real small potatoes. :D

BTW: A very warm welcome to our "royalty" family here. Glad to see you jumping in and getting your feet wet. :flowers:

Meghan also have goddaughters and Ivy Mulroney that are of the bridesmaid age. I don’t think everyone will be included and it will be more evenly spread out between both sides for this couple.

I also wondered about that. I kind of expect her goddaughters will be included. It is a royal wedding but she has loved ones as well. I think they will attempt to balance it out. Jessica is her BFF. I can't not see her by her side.

???

This is an excellent point. I do think the concern is valid but I don't think it will be as a big issue as some think it will be. It was carefully planned out and the police have dealt with bigger things as pointed out.

Last edited:

Not likely. Kate and William were at an age where few friends were married and had kids. They laid heavily on family, and all his family at that. Like Edward and Sophie, Meghan and Harry both have friends with kids, as well as family closer then Camilla's grandkids. Like the Wessexes, I expect to see far more friend/family bridal party, as well as balanced, reflecting both couple.

Beyond George and Charlotte, Harry has 5-6 godchildren, at least one of whom we know is a great age for a page boy. Meghan has 2 goddaughters, and friends like Jessica who have children (little Ivy).

The Queen actually usually is not there till August. Her first event in Scotland, her official welcome to Balmoral (inspecting the guards) is first week of August. It seems to be around August 7/8.

She has gone earlier in the past and had to stay at a different home, not the main house, as Balmoral was open to the public still. But that's not usual.

A very good point!!!

:previous: The Queen also spends a week known as "Royal Week" or "Holyrood Week' at Holyrood Palace in Scotland prior to heading to Balmoral. :D

If the bridal couple would agree to marry mid-field at halftime during the game, then everyone would be happy.

:previous: The Queen also spends a week known as "Royal Week" or "Holyrood Week' at Holyrood Palace in Scotland prior to heading to Balmoral. :D

True. But she usually returns to London after. Its the first week of July she is usually in Edinburgh.

I'm cracking here up thinking about Harry and Meghan trying the football game excuse. I don't think they wanted to get any special treatment, which also would be unfair, so wedding in the morning and football match in the evening it is.

To be honest, I think holding the wedding on the Cup Final is a good move. It could draw more people. If you happen to be in London for a soccer match, and you here about a royal wedding, you would most likely see if you can watch it in person. Same can be said for those attending who like soccer, after the wedding you can travel to London for the game. Two popular public events on one day is smart.

William, however, may be President Designate of the FA but that role doesn't infringe on his personal life in any way. I bet if someone was to really do some research into it, May 19th may also have something going on in one of the many charities and patronages that the Queen has. Or Anne has. Or Charles has. None of them would pass up Harry's wedding for their patronages though. I'd bet my last holiday nutty bar on that one. :D

To be honest, I think holding the wedding on the Cup Final is a good move. It could draw more people. If you happen to be in London for a soccer match, and you here about a royal wedding, you would most likely see if you can watch it in person. Same can be said for those attending who like soccer, after the wedding you can travel to London for the game. Two popular public events on one day is smart.

Another pretty good point. I imagine that there are a lot of Americans that would travel to the UK just because there is a royal wedding and among them, some Americans that are really into UK football too. (My husband occasionally will watch soccer matches on TV) and it would be a big added bonus to have both events going on at the same time. Especially for a wife that is more interested in the royal wedding whereas the hubby would rather follow a FA final game.

Both of these events garner a lot of tourism and that's good for the UK economy. :D

The police had fully 7 YEARS to plan, train and rehearse what they were going to do during the Olympics. They drafted police from all over the UK as well as the Army and private companies to help with security. For this they have a heck of a lot less time.

The Met Police in London may have 37,000+ officers but only a very tiny % of those officers are armed - that is the point I am making. There will be a premium on armed police that weekend as the security operation for events like this doesn't just encompass the few hours during which they happen but also the days leading up to them.

The Queen could quite easily have left Balmoral for 1 single day in July or August. The Queen's Flight would have got her there in supreme comfort and she would've been back in Scotland with the midges within what, 12 hours?

Plus the chances of good weather would have been better. The idea that it had to be May and no other month is pure fantasy.

Windsor is not in London, it's about 30 miles away. On public transport on a day with very busy events happening that journey would be a nightmare and I can't imagine anyone in their right mind trying to do it.

Yes because asking a couple who are in their 90's to make a round trip visit from Scotland for a day for a wedding is far more reasonable then asking football fans to watch a wedding HOURS before the game :bang:

London is not the only police in the UK. And certainly this is not the only time there have been two major events at the same time. Its quite possible why St George's may have been considered. Having a wedding in London on the 19th would have been a security nightmare. Windsor is a much simpler option.

I agree with Countessmeout here on both her points.

It is unreasonable to ask an elderly couple to make such an exhausting journey, plane or not. Anyone who would suggest this as a reasonable alternative obviously knows no one this elderly.

I don't doubt police from outside London and Windsor and possibly military personnel will be called upon for these events if necessary. This is one day--not several weeks. I don't think they are starting from scratch here either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom