Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the DM being the DM...

On another note, I hope Harry wears his military uniform. It would look a bit odd to me if he didn't, considering the role the military still plays in his life.

Of course he will wear a military uniform. The main question is which one. Will he wear the one he is currently entitled to or will he receive some kind of higher honorary position that will require him (per the queen's order) to wear a different one. I would prefer that, as I am not a fan of his current one (because of the position of the 'sash'), but Harry probably prefers the uniform that he has been wearing and is the one he 'earned'.

Oh please, William has missed plenty of major events including the BAFTAs for no apparent reason. Him missing the Cup Finals for his ONLY brother's wedding is hardly a thing and I can guarantee the players will not care on whit either way nor will those watching the game. William is hardly being put in a tough spot. Not everything is about the Cambridges and their schedule.

It is fairly obvious they are already trying to work with his brother by not having their wedding while Kate is pregnant. At some point, someone will be inconvenienced when you are coordinating the schedules of this many "important" and "busy" people. This is the only weekend in May that works. We know this decision was not made in a vacuum but included all the royal households (BP, KP, CH), their families, the security forces and the government.

Of course he will wear a military uniform. The main question is which one. Will he wear the one he is currently entitled to or will he receive some kind of higher honorary position that will require him (per the queen's order) to wear a different one. I would prefer that, as I am not a fan of his current one (because of the position of the 'sash'), but Harry probably prefers the uniform that he has been wearing and is the one he 'earned'.

I think he'd prefer his current one. Just because his military career and subsequent work he has done with veterans are such an important part of him.

Now the question is whether he'll shave that beard given the stink it caused last time he wore his uniforms. Even though he is retired from the military.

I'm not understanding how this is a conflict for millions? Perhaps for those actually invited to the wedding, but everyone else?:lol: Rebecca needs to get off her soap box. She's been a bit dramatic lately.

They don't call it the fail for nothing. I'm sure both the royals and the FA will coordinate their schedules. How long does the wedding take? I think because it will be smaller and more intimate it won't take long. I say the more the merrier. The FA cup involves the professional leagues? its not about different countries??
Save
Save

We will see Harry wearing his wedding band? Prince Charles and William don't wear theirs. I hope Harry does not do what they do.

They don't call it the fail for nothing. I'm sure both the royals and the FA will coordinate their schedules. How long does the wedding take? I think because it will be smaller and more intimate it won't take long. I say the more the merrier. The FA cup involves the professional leagues? its not about different countries??
Save
Save

I doubt there will be that much of a conflict in terms of televising. Weddings ceremonies are typically earlier in the day. I'm sure they can swing that to accommodate the television slots. I'm just imagining the guys at the evening party checking their phones all the time though. :lol:

Last edited:
Harry is an Arsenal fan and they are the defending champs. He is a huge football fan. He loves both rugby and football. I remember Charles even taking him to the World Cup final in France in 1998 because he wanted to go and so Charles arranged to take him. Both he and William went to the World Cup in South Africa as well and he also went to Brazil for the World Cup matches there. He is a much bigger fan of football than William.

All this day does is force William to chose between his brother and one of his 'must-do' events - present the medals at the end of the game. He will chose his brother's wedding of course but he should never have been put in that situation.

In England FA cup final is like Superbowl final in the US or grandfinal day/s here in Australia and are days that half-intelligent men make sure they don't have that as their wedding day.

I think this is being a bit overly dramatic. To say William felt "forced" to choose between the two is to suggest the two things are equal or close to being equal. But really, there's no comparison between a sibling's wedding and a football game. I highly doubt William was even the least bit upset about this, though frankly, his desires aren't most important here. It's the most important day of his brother's life and he should have no problem arranging his schedule to suit his brother's wishes.

In England FA cup final is like Superbowl final in the US

I'm afraid you massively overestimate the pull of the 'Cup Final' these days... Football is now a permanent feature in British life, and [unlike 30/40/50 years past] doesn't stop for an extended Summer break... Then it was a huge 'set piece' occasion, now it is merely one of many, that drone on and on throughout the year..

Of course there are obsessives who CANNOT miss it, but for the majority of ordinary fans, there is 'catch up' on TV, and large numbers of other ways to see it, [again] very different from the past, when if you missed it live on TV, it was GONE..

Last edited:
:previous:

Prince Charles wears his wedding band.

We will see Harry wearing his wedding band? Prince Charles and William don't wear theirs. I hope Harry does not do what they do.

I thought Charles does wear his behind his signet?

William stated from the beginning he wouldn't wear one. I don;t think he even had one made.

Last edited:
It’s still the biggest match in the biggest sport. Wembley Stadium will be packed with people arriving hours before start time.

The people who want to watch the wedding can and the people gearing up to watch the match are free to do so.

Well I guess they should blame the government for not granting a bank holiday so it could be on Friday instead of Saturday.

I'm not getting the controversy, seems to be something for everybody.

Last edited:
I really don't see a problem with William not wearing a ring. He doesn't care to wear it, and his wife has no issues with it.

But with Harry, I feel like he's the type to want to wear a wedding ring.

It’s still the biggest match in the biggest sport. Wembley Stadium will be packed with people arriving hours before start time.

The people who want to watch the wedding can and the people gearing up to watch the match are free to do so.

Again, it's up against Horse Show and Trooping, which causes logistic issues. I think football is the easiest to work around here.:lol:

I hope Harry does not do what they do.]

Why ? Surely that is up to him ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, it's up against Horse Show and Trooping, which causes logistic issues. I think football is the easiest to work around here.:lol:

I don’t disagree plus Catherine’s pregnancy is taken into account. The only other option is a summer wedding and I don’t think Meghan’s visa would allow allow that

Bottom line here is it's not going to 100% convenient for 100% of the people they want to accommodate. But the bigger picture here is that it's a joyous occasion during a bleak time in the world. Can't we just be happy and not nitpick at small details? :lol:

Well, I would be surprised if he didn't but there seem to be some who think he may choose to wear a morning suit a la Edward. That made sense for Edward but would look odd for Harry.

I think he'd prefer his current one. Just because his military career and subsequent work he has done with veterans are such an important part of him.

Now the question is whether he'll shave that beard given the stink it caused last time he wore his uniforms. Even though he is retired from the military.

He seems to love the beard so I don't think he's shaving it, definitely not just to pacify naysayers.

Last edited:
Well noone cares about us Yanks who have to get up at 5am in the morning!!! What about us??!!

So people, are according to this paper, physically incapable of watching TV in the late morning/early afternoon and then switching on again at 5:30pm? What a crock of baloney!

Millions are capable and will do just that! The ones that are interested in soccer that is!

But I thought no one cared about Meghan and Harry and their wedding? That's what I keep hearing. Isn't that what the British press has been telling us? Now millions will be put out by it? Really?

Again, obviously the palace knew what was happening on the 19th, just like they knew what was happening on the other days. It would seem, this day is the day that best suits the greatest number of people, whose schedules needed to be considered. Is that not clear? I mean they waited a whole 2 1/2 weeks to announce the date, which would seem to suggest they were trying to nail down people's schedules. This wasn't chosen haphazardly.

Well, I would be surprised if he didn't but there seem to be some who think he may choose to wear a morning suit a la Edward. That made sense for Edward but would look odd for Harry.

He seems to love the beard so I don't think he's shaving it, definitely not just to pacify naysayers.

I really love the beard as well, so I really hope he doesn't shave it! LOL! I'm not even much of a beard person, but on him it works. It makes him look grown up. #TeamBeard LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be nice if Harry wore one and I definitely see him as the type who would. But of course we'll have to wait and see.

Well noone cares about us Yanks who have to get up at 5am in the morning!!! What about us??!!

Actually, to watch all the arrivals, it is well before that. The show before the show is elegant and enjoyable, if in the middle of the night in the US.

Actually, I have no memory of how the arrivals were captured for The Wessex's. And I don't think Charles/Camilla had live coverage here. I think I followed it on TRF and photos.

But I have faith that the press will figure coverage out before the grand day.

I recommend (if you have the day off) champers and quiche, fruit and whatever is your fancy. There will be time for a nap in the afternoon.

For my family, who are big open wheel auto racing enthusiasts, the 19th is qualification day for the Indy 500. It's going to be one big day! But we will figure it out. :flowers:

But I thought no one cared about Meghan and Harry and their wedding? That's what I keep hearing. Isn't that what the British press has been telling us? Now millions will be put out by it? Really?

Again, obviously the palace knew what was happening on the 19th, just like they knew what was happening on the other days. It would seem, this day is the day that best suits the greatest number of people, whose schedules needed to be considered. Is that not clear? I mean they waited a whole 2 1/2 weeks to announce the date, which would seem to suggest they were trying to nail down people's schedules. This wasn't chosen haphazardly.

Presumably then every single date in May will have a number of royals undertaking royal engagements because a single day with no engagements will show that they didn't look at people's schedules at all but chose a date knowing it would make things difficult for William and his FA commitment. This may very well show how much the FA position means to William. I will be watching the CC in May very carefully and there had better not be a single date on which at least 5 royals aren't doing things or this date is a deliberate insult to the FA and the most popular sporting event in England - even if not for the royals themselves, although Harry is a fan.

Presumably then every single date in May will have a number of royals undertaking royal engagements because a single day with no engagements will show that they didn't look at people's schedules at all but chose a date knowing it would make things difficult for William and his FA commitment. This may very well show how much the FA position means to William. I will be watching the CC in May very carefully and there had better not be a single date on which at least 5 royals aren't doing things or this date is a deliberate insult to the FA and the most popular sporting event in England - even if not for the royals themselves, although Harry is a fan.

With no bank holiday, the wedding pretty much had to be on a Saturday, as it was the case with Sophie and Edward's wedding. And we know the Saturday before is the Horse Show, so Windsor wouldn't be able to deal with this. The Saturday after, the troops that will be involved in the wedding is in rehearsal for the Trooping, which makes that impossible. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for people to understand that this is the easiest Saturday for them to get married? And saying it's a deliberate insult is a bit overdramatic.

Dramatic much?
They didn’t have every day in May, just the Saturdays, since there is no Bank Holiday for the wedding.

Good god, it’s football. People who consider their brother’s wedding equal to a football game really need a reality check:wacko:.

Dramatic much?
They didn’t have every day in May, just the Saturdays, since there is no Bank Holiday for the wedding.

Good god, it’s football. People who consider their brother’s wedding equal to a football game really need a reality check:wacko:.

I have to say that I agree (well, I'm not a huge fan of football and would watch a royal wedding over a match any day - so perhaps I'm biased :D). As closely involved William is with the FA cup, it's his brother's wedding, after all. William and Harry seem quite close to one another so I doubt that William would want to miss his brother's wedding. It wouldn't be fair on Harry and Meghan, IMO, as it would give people the wrong impression of there being a rift between the two brothers.

One paper has mentioned it as a problem - DM (no surprise); another says that it means we will just party for longer.

The two events don't clash UNLESS the wedding is late afternoon/evening which I doubt. Kick-off (football) is apparently 17:30.

It isn't a real issue and as the PRincess Royal once said - "You can't attend everything, there are always clashes!"

Preach on Sister! :D

Maybe even earlier! I figure if the wedding is at 11, I'll have to be up by 3am Central to catch the pre-wedding stuff.

LaRae

Ok let's assume that's the case. Why? What reason would anyone in the royal family have, or Meghan or Harry have, to deliberately insult the FA? Why would they do that? I'm not from the UK so perhaps there is some behind the scenes issues going on that I don't know about. Based on what we know, it just makes sense to me, that they picked the day that worked best for all involved. (Meghan has a family too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom