Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn I always have to work saturdays. I have a feeling I will have to watch the thing later online somewhere.

No way would William miss Harry and Meghan's evening party. Neither would I for my brother's wedding, were he still alive. My sister either (although she missed mine!)

So I just realize the horse show was the week before. Given that information, the 19th is really the only Saturday in May that they can do it. The wedding is in the morning and will be televised. The reception in the evening isn't televised. So from that point, there is really not that much of a conflict whereas the other two weeks have logistic concerns.

Well obviously the palace and everybody else knew that there was some sort of sporting event on that date, so obviously they chose it for a reason. They had to juggle a number of very busy people's schedules. This is likely the date that fit with most people's, especially the senior family members, schedules.

Honestly, there was always going to be a conflict or issue for someone. Since they weren't going to get a bank holiday, that almost ensured a weekend wedding, because trying to have an event like that in the middle of the week, with people having to go to work would be a logistical nightmare. So their choice of dates were rather limited.

I'm sure William was consulted. I may be wrong, but if there is a an evening party I'm pretty sure William will be there. And if he's not, that certainly doesn't stop anything.

It was probably quite hard to schedule. I assume they decided on a Saturday rather early on and probably reviewed the 12th, 19th and 26th as options. 26 apparently doesn't work because of the rehearsals for Trooping and maybe William even suggested that he preferred the 19th (FA cup) if that would push the wedding a week further from the expected birth of Cambridge #3.

Edit: adding in the horse show, all three dates had issues and this one clashes the least. I'd say that the 5th was deemed 'too early' for the Cambridges.

So I just realize the horse show was the week before. Given that information, the 19th is really the only Saturday in May that they can do it. The wedding is in the morning and will be televised. The reception in the evening isn't televised. So from that point, there is really not that much of a conflict whereas the other two weeks have logistic concerns.

If it's like William's wedding, the reception(s) will be in the afternoon -not televised. Then there will be an evening party, which is like a nightclub party, also not televised.

Well, I don't think it'd be a big deal if William had to miss the evening party if he had to. Unless he wanted to treat the guest to some dad dancing? :lol:

I'm going to echo other people here, who are saying, that there's no way William would miss his brothers wedding celebrations. Any part of it. And if they were to consider a football match as a no go for a wedding date, they'd never get married. Weekdays are out of the question, because it's not going to be a bank holiday, and there are only so many Saturdays in May. And they will have to get married in May re the fiancé visa.

I'm sure William will be attending all the events of Harry's wedding. It seems most of the weddings in the family have a structure--wedding at church late morning, brunch/lunch/cocktail reception in early afternoon and then an evening dinner/dance for family and close friends.
I doubt the players in the FA cup final will feel slighted if William doesn't attend because his only sibling is getting married that day.

Ivanka Trump tweeted congratulations to Harry and Meghan three weeks after the engagement announcement. Sorry it looks like she is trying to score an invite, especially since Meghan praised Ivanka on her blog. would be a blow to the family image and sense of prestige if a Trump is not on the guest list.

I'm sure the televised part of the wedding will be over well in time for the game. To me it just seems like win/win and an overall festive day without it being an official holiday. I'm sure that in scheduling they need to be married asap for visa reasons, they needed to be aware of Kate's pregnancy, then you have the schedules of the senior royals to contend with.

Ivanka Trump tweeted congratulations to Harry and Meghan three weeks after the engagement announcement. Sorry it looks like she is trying to score an invite, especially since Meghan praised Ivanka on her blog. would be a blow to the family image and sense of prestige if a Trump is not on the guest list.

I imagine if they did have to have one person from the admin attend, Ivanka who is also friends with Chelsea Clinton would be the better choice. Before the election Ivanka was a NYC Dem but that is another story.

Personally, I think it'd take wild horses to drag William away from anything to do with his brother's wedding and arrangements have already been made with the FA for someone to take his place at the finals.

Maybe not wild horses, but one thing that may take him away from the wedding celebrations would be to tuck his three children into bed for the night. They all will most likely be staying close by in Windsor. :D

A wedding is time for family and friends and we do know that William will put his family first over "work" always.

Yes, I agree family first

will be curious on the time of the service if they go with the traditional 11am service or.... like Edward and Sophie's was a late afternoon (4or 5pm - I remember there was an issue about ladies wearing hats withtheir long gowns which apparently in polite solicety is done before 6pm or something). not sure time of Peter and Autumn's - but i do know that in the case if both the Windsor weddings - the reception was immediately following.

I think the earlier time has more to do with security on the streets in London. At Windsor they have more flexibility.

I imagine if they did have to have one person from the admin attend, Ivanka who is also friends with Chelsea Clinton would be the better choice. Before the election Ivanka was a NYC Dem but that is another story.

With Harry's wedding not being a state or semi-state occasion, there will not be invitations sent out to other countries to send a representative. Politics are not figuring into this wedding whatsoever.

We also cannot second guess any reason or motive behind Ivanka's well wishes either. It was sent and that's all we know about it. If Harry or Meghan do not know Ivanka, she won't be on the invite list nor will other political figures. It will be the couple's friends and family and those involved with them through charity work and perhaps some British administrators that may get "courtesy" invites.

will be curious on the time of the service if they go with the traditional 11am service or.... like Edward and Sophie's was a late afternoon (4or 5pm - I remember there was an issue about ladies wearing hats withtheir long gowns which apparently in polite solicety is done before 6pm or something). not sure time of Peter and Autumn's - but i do know that in the case if both the Windsor weddings - the reception was immediately following.

I think the earlier time has more to do with security on the streets in London. At Windsor they have more flexibility.

I think my favorite thing about E&S's wedding with their no hat rule was QEQM showing up with a full-fledged hat, like "You don't tell me what to do, whippersnappers!."; and HM had her little head piece in a semi-rebellion, not as gutsy as her mother, though. :lol:

Hurrah! This article answered my inquiry: Did Prince Harry ask Meghan's father permission to marry Meghan? The answer is Yes.

The official engagement announcement stated that Harry not only asked Meghan's father but also her mother.

Glad to finally have a date. Seems for sure it will be an early service and there will be no clashing with the big football game.

There are not many things I'm sure of in this life, but I can just about guarantee Ivanka Trump, nor any other Trump, will be invited to this wedding.

From what I remember the whole 2 receptions thing really started with William and Kate. Charles and Diana, Andrew and Sarah, Edward and Sophie, etc all just had the one reception after the wedding. The difference with Edward and Sophie's being they had their wedding later in the day.

My understanding for William and Kate was the afternoon reception (or wedding breakfast I believe it's called in the UK. I've been doing my homework!) was for some of the royals and other dignitaries, along with the members of the charities invited etc. It was pretty large. The dinner later that evening was hosted by Prince Charles and was relatively small, about 300 people and was only for family and close friends and was more of an actual party. Very personal.

Since Harry and Meghan's wedding will be a bit smaller and they may not have as many "have to invite people, even if we don't know them", they may not see the need for 2 receptions. And if the wedding is later in the day there wouldn't be time for 2 receptions. I'm excited to see what they decide!

The wedding breakfast hosted by The Queen at BP had 600 people and the evening reception hosted by Charles had 300 people. Plus The Queen hosted foreign royalsl at the Mandarin Oriental hotel.

Harry and Meghan will probably have just the one and invite who they want. If Meghan has any close friends in London they may also have some sort of party.

Harry’s wedding has much more flexibility than William’s. We’re told it will be non-traditional and to expect some surprises

It’s evidently a very slow weekend for news here in the UK.

Just the DM being the DM...

On another note, I hope Harry wears his military uniform. It would look a bit odd to me if he didn't, considering the role the military still plays in his life.

Phil Dampier is not a fan of the couple and truth be told Harry is not a football fan.

Harry is an Arsenal fan and they are the defending champs. He is a huge football fan. He loves both rugby and football. I remember Charles even taking him to the World Cup final in France in 1998 because he wanted to go and so Charles arranged to take him. Both he and William went to the World Cup in South Africa as well and he also went to Brazil for the World Cup matches there. He is a much bigger fan of football than William.

All this day does is force William to chose between his brother and one of his 'must-do' events - present the medals at the end of the game. He will chose his brother's wedding of course but he should never have been put in that situation.

In England FA cup final is like Superbowl final in the US or grandfinal day/s here in Australia and are days that half-intelligent men make sure they don't have that as their wedding day.

All this day does is force William to chose between his brother and one of his 'must-do' events - present the medals at the end of the game. He will chose his brother's wedding of course but he should never have been put in that situation.

In England FA cup final is like Superbowl final in the US or grandfinal day/s here in Australia and are days that half-intelligent men make sure they don't have that as their wedding day.

So, do you suggest the Queen cancelling the horse show or Trooping? I love how this is Harry and Meghan's wedding, and yet they are expected to accommodate everyone else.

The FA seems to understand and offer their congratulations. I'm sure that's one event William won't get crap for missing. He'll probably do a pre-recorded message.

Last edited:
So people, are according to this paper, physically incapable of watching TV in the late morning/early afternoon and then switching on again at 5:30pm? What a crock of baloney!

Millions are capable and will do just that! The ones that are interested in soccer that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom