Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about layers, some folks do varying flavors per layer. Obviously if a person didn't like bananas they wouldn't choose it.

LaRae

Yes, the different layers, or now doing cupcakes in different flavors is popular. Traditionally chocolate or vanilla wedding cakes were used as because they were universally liked. You please the most people that way. Some couples though want to pick more personal flavors, and doing different tiers to the cake, allows them to please themselves but also feed more picky eaters.

Who will be chosen to do a religious reading at the wedding service?

Has the actual wedding date been announced? If not, wonder what the holdup is?

I think, that they actually can't set a date yet, as Meghan might be still waiting for her fiancé visa to clear, and be able to come to UK. I think, that it will be announced after Christmas.

Different articles spoke about potential guests at the wedding: politicians, celebrities, etc. No one has speculated ( yet) about Chelsy and Cressida. They ended on good terms with Harry and Meghan may be ok with their being guests but the Fail and other outlets will turn them into modern day Camilla, with side by side shots of one or both with Camilla at Charles and Diana's wedding. These ex girlfriends are being dragged to sell papers; I feel sorry for them.

That is exactly what the tabloids are doing. TBH, I'd be really surprised if both Chelsy and Cressida were not in attendance at the wedding. If there's one thing I know, its that Meghan is self assured enough and comfortable in her own skin enough to realize that Harry is marrying her because he loves her and there is no other woman in this world that could be perceived as a threat. As she doesn't pay attention to the "noise" of the braying press, nor do those close to the couple, its the public that buys into these kind of stories I feel sorry for.

I think, that they actually can't set a date yet, as Meghan might be still waiting for her fiancé visa to clear, and be able to come to UK. I think, that it will be announced after Christmas.

She has come to the UK already :ermm:

And they have announced the month they are getting married in as well.

If they couldn't set a date because they aren't sure how long it would take for a visa, they wouldn't have announced May. They obviously know she will be able to get married in the UK in May. Its just a matter of the day we are waiting on.

The process, coming from countries like the US, tends to take 3-4 weeks. The process was most likely started weeks ago, if not before they even got engaged. Since there is no legal documents for engagement, you don't have to be engaged. Simply show proof you plan to live together, meet the requirements, and will be married in six months.

It has been 12 days. It's not like they are dragging things out.

Who will be chosen to do a religious reading at the wedding service?

IF they do one, likely a close friend or family member. James Middleton did one for Kate and William.

Meghan has a number of female friends, as well as her niece. Perhaps if she chooses to use a friend for her maid of honor, she might ask her niece to do the reading. Or another friend.

She has come to the UK already :ermm:

And they have announced the month they are getting married in as well.

If they couldn't set a date because they aren't sure how long it would take for a visa, they wouldn't have announced May. They obviously know she will be able to get married in the UK in May. Its just a matter of the day we are waiting on.

The process, coming from countries like the US, tends to take 3-4 weeks. The process was most likely started weeks ago, if not before they even got engaged. Since there is no legal documents for engagement, you don't have to be engaged. Simply show proof you plan to live together, meet the requirements, and will be married in six months.

It has been 12 days. It's not like they are dragging things.

It was only a suggestion, based on @Somebody's post #274 in the Visa and religious musings thread.
I don't want to take it OT here, so I'll drop the visa discussion.

That is exactly what the tabloids are doing. TBH, I'd be really surprised if both Chelsy and Cressida were not in attendance at the wedding. If there's one thing I know, its that Meghan is self assured enough and comfortable in her own skin enough to realize that Harry is marrying her because he loves her and there is no other woman in this world that could be perceived as a threat. As she doesn't pay attention to the "noise" of the braying press, nor do those close to the couple, its the public that buys into these kind of stories I feel sorry for.
Yea, the way that Harry looks at her and talks about her and his love for her, there is really no question. Honestly, the media trying to draw the Camilla, Chelsy, and Cressida parallel is missing one very key detail. Charles couldn’t marry whomever he wished because he is the heir to the throne. Harry is marrying the woman he wants to marry. In fact, it might have been a lot easier in terms of logistics and public relations standpoint had he decided to marry an English rose that didn’t have a previous marriage or an actress.

While a lot of people have moved on from this type of thing, there is that segment that sneers at it even today. Looking back at all those relationships that were considered groundbreaking and controversial in the royal family, it’s almost like they broke the archaic rules down little by little and finally we have this couple that can marry without having to give up a lot today to complete the process.

I think Chelesy and Cressida being present is not a simple thing, and I mean that from the perspective of the two women. Not that Meghan would mind, or that Chelesy and Cressida would mind, but that the tabloids would make it unpleasant for them. :sad: JMO.

I think if they attend it will be at the venue that is very private so there will be no chance of photos. I say that based on what I would prefer myself. The two women may not care and attend regardless of photos. I guess we'll see. :flowers:

William and Kate included exes because they were still friends with them. They still moved in social circles and kept up relationships.

Though we see Cress and Chelsy with the York girls from time to time, there seems little sign that Harry has any relationship with either of them. To think he would suddenly invite them to his wedding seems a stretch.

And if Chelsy and Cressida are not at the wedding the gossip press will write they're at home eating cookie dough ice cream crying "it should have been meeeee!!!!". If they go out on a date the guy with them is a rebound. These two can't win.

Please more 'picky' eaters

Bugger that, the WHOLE point of a Wedding cake is that EVERYONE shares something with the Bridal Couple...

#TraditionalFruitCakeOrNothing

Bugger that, the WHOLE point of a Wedding cake is that EVERYONE shares something with the Bridal Couple...

Uh, some people don’t like fruit cake either. Besides, it’s a freaking cake, do people really feel THAT strongly about it? I’ve never been to a wedding where I cared for the cake(not my thing), but I certainly wouldn’t go complain about it.

Uh, some people don’t like fruit cake either. Besides, it’s a freaking cake, do people really feel THAT strongly about it? I’ve never been to a wedding where I cared for the cake(not my thing), but I certainly wouldn’t go complain about it.
When we got married we had sponge cake. I had American guests coming and was not sure they'd be keen on fruit cake, plus I had a couple of British friends that I knew hated fruit. It was a small wedding so we couldn't have tiers, therefore we stuck to sponge. Everybody liked it, including people who didn't come but who we sent cake to. It was a British style wedding cake though, fondant icing rather than butter icing that Americans have.

Fondant cakes are big in the U.S. too at least in some circles. I'd never have a cake with it but if you want a sculpted shaped cake it's almost always used.

Buttercream all the way here!! I love traditional white wedding cake with buttercream frosting...yum yum!

LaRae

Buttercream in this house. I’m wondering, perhaps silly, will they have favors and if they do, then I’m wondering what.

Last edited:

Yuk. :sad: When it comes to cake I am not remotely picky eater, but fruit cake ???? I never got the British obsession with fruit cake as a wedding cake. Here we think of fruit cake as door stoppers, the Christmas gift nobody wants.

But they do have a groom's cake last I looked, I recall William had a chocolate biscuit cake for his.

You are sharing a cake. Even if different layers are different flavors. It is the same cake. It is decorated the same. It is cut together. Just different layers.

Which baking company will be chosen to make the wedding cake?

Which baking company will be chosen to make the wedding cake?

Like flowers, cake is really about preference of the couple. There isn't a royal 'wedding cake baker'.

The Cambridges used Fiona Cairns

Luxury, Handcrafted Celebration and Wedding Cakes by Fiona Cairns | Fiona Cairns

Diana and Charles had a cake that was made by the head chef of the royal naval cooking school.

Andrew and Sarah were similar, their cake was supplied by the naval supply school HMS Raleigh.

Edward and Sophie has a devils food cake done by Linda Fripp
Linda Fripp Designs : Home

Anne and Mark were similar to Andrew and Charles, but an army baker not naval.

Fondant cakes are big in the U.S. too at least in some circles. I'd never have a cake with it but if you want a sculpted shaped cake it's almost always used.

Buttercream all the way here!! I love traditional white wedding cake with buttercream frosting...yum yum!

LaRae

Agreed it probably tastes better, but the ones with fondant look much neater and more stylish. Buttercream just has a bit of a 'home made' look about it. In my opinion anyway. I guess it's just what you grew up with. Now royal icing, the really hard stuff you get on Christmas cake, that is hard and horrible!

Fondant is like silly putty/play dough. It’s so pliable. One daughter is a pastry chef and I’m always amazed at what she does with it.

Fondant is like silly putty/play dough. It’s so pliable. One daughter is a pastry chef and I’m always amazed at what she does with it.

Exactly. We met through our love of pet rats so on our cake we had a fondant rat/mouse bride and groom!

I hope we get to see a photo of Harry and Meghan's cake/s. Sometimes you do see them. I have seen some on a dvd called British Royal Weddings 1923 to 2005 which is a kind of documentary. Did you see the cake Monaco's Albert and Charlene had? It was ginormous!

Exactly. We met through our love of pet rats so on our cake we had a fondant rat/mouse bride and groom!

I hope we get to see a photo of Harry and Meghan's cake/s. Sometimes you do see them. I have seen some on a dvd called British Royal Weddings 1923 to 2005 which is a kind of documentary. Did you see the cake Monaco's Albert and Charlene had? It was ginormous!

I just looked it up and it was huge! Hopefully we’ll get a picture. I bet you were happy with your cakeI I also can’t wait to see the hats the ladies will wear.

. . . . . Now royal icing, the really hard stuff you get on Christmas cake, that is hard and horrible!
If it is then it isn't made properly. Nothing beats a wedding or Christmas cake with loads of fruit, glace cherries, etc. and covered in almond paste and royal icing. To be honest that's one of the best things about Christmas. It's just the basics, no twirls, furls, cutesy people or animals, just plain fruitcake with plain icing, yummy!

We should. While we usually don't get reception photos, there are photos out there of the major british royal wedding cakes.

William and Kate
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/imagen...nd-kate-wedding-cake/0-78-613/main pic--a.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/374693158483/photos/p.10151449821163484/10151449821163484/?type=3

Edward and Sophie (tennis rackets on top for how they met)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/a4/28/c9a4283dd842cce8ff8ce0122435763d.jpg

Charles and Diana
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/imagen...ding-cake-sold/0-110-161/charlesdiana1--a.jpg

Fergie and Andrew
http://aweddingcakeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/prince-andrew-435.jpg

queen and Philip
http://i.pinimg.com/736x/0a/09/31/0a0931461a0253c688a4fb6fe5d78356.jpg

Williams groom cake was gorgeous. I liked W&K's wedding cake.

I thought C&D's was too plain.

LaRae

I wonder if Meghan will go with a more traditional American made wedding cake? She might do away with the fruit cake.

That will be interesting...or maybe they will make it a blend of American layers and British layers?

LaRae

Or if Harry has his heart set on a British fruit cake, have it as the groom cake. There are two cakes. The main cake is usually reflective of the bride, so have it her choice. Then have a British one for the groom's cake.

I think it would be cute to have a Union Jack and the American Flag on the cake (crossed) or somewhere in the decoration.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom