Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting to see who the couple choose as attendants. I see Prince George as a page, Princess Charlotte as a bridesmaid, maybe Zara and Peter Phillips's little girls. Lady Louise as the older bridesmaid perhaps? Do we know if Meghan has young children in her family? I know she's got a half brother and half sister, but somehow I don't think she's very friendly with her sister, who last I heard, was writing a book about her!

This is assuming they stick to recent tradition of using mainly child attendants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer, the daughter of Charles, Earl Spencer might be a flower girl?

I'm pretty sure George and Charlotte will be in the wedding party...past that hard to say!

LaRae

I think her maid of honour will be Ashleigh Hale, her niece only few years younger than she; they have a very good contact with each other.
One of her first cousins, David Markle, has three children, maybe they too will take part as flower girls/page boys.

She was referring to the media that will want to be in Windsor to cover the wedding.

Most likely that is what is going to have to be limited. Every media outlet in the world just isn't going to fit into Windsor to cover the wedding. Perhaps a few mainstream USA outlets like CNN or ABC or whatever will be able to feed information to other outlets. We've seen just how crazy things can get with the media just by watching outside the Lindo Wing when George and Charlotte were being born. :D

One interesting little tidbit not really relating to this upcoming wedding but USA covering British royal events is back in 1953, for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, the Washington Times-Herald sent over their "Inquiring Camera Girl" to cover it. We know her best now as Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. The USA has always had a big interest in British events. :D

How many attendants are there usually?

I'd be surprised if the Mulroney children aren't involved. Especially Ivy Mulroney.

All the children are so cute...definitely George and Charlotte. And I’m rooting for the bag lady herself, Mia Tindall.

I don't think they will 'repeat' children of William & Catherine's wedding (and most of them are getting a little old for that role), so I don't expect Louise for example.

Even if they would go for 4 children each, Harry might choose two of his (5-6) godchildren instead of second cousins (once removed) in addition to his nephew and niece.

Let's try to do the math and come up with a balanced group of 8 child attendants (4 boys and 4 girls?):

Harry:
Jasper Dyer (5)
Prince George of Cambridge (4)
Princess Charlotte of Cambridge (3)
?

Meghan:
goddaughter Litt (?)
goddaughter Litt (?)
Ivy Mulroney (?)
?

Last edited:
I doubt if Harry was given a choice. Supposedly William wanted to get married at Windsor but the government and The Queen told him it wasn’t befitting his place in the family.

I know some people are saying he chose Windsor for personal reasons but honestly I don’t think he had much choice. WA and ST Paul’s we’re out of the question.
I remember hearing that WA wasn't William's preferred venue at the time and I have to admit I was hugely disappointed with WA for their wedding because it somehow gloomed over the top of everyone and even the addition of full-grown trees did little to help.

At that time William was still very shy and a little awkward being in front of a lot of people and I think you have to be a bit larger than life to pull it off. Perhaps it was that Catherine's train was not as big as it could have been that made them look sort of lost standing in front. I don't really know, but I remember thinking that it was possibly also the way the Abbey is laid out. Cosy it is not!

Now when it comes to the Chapel (yeah right! more like a small cathedral!) it too definitely has its challenges but as Jack said, the advances in lighting and filming will greatly increase its visibility. And I am definitely on board for carpet on the stairs in front.

But above all, many, many things have changed since William and Catherine married at WA, and not for the better. Major tourist spots in London have a lot of obstacles installed in place and there will be even more as they continue to make it safer for tourists since they seem to be targeted by crazies as do authority figures such as the government.

That being said, I would imagine a full Royal Wedding London procession would be such a security nightmare as to be almost automatically ruled out for the foreseeable future. The burden on the police would be horrendous and I don't think it would be a picnic for any of the BRF travelling in flower-bedecked open Landaus.

We all now know that Windsor is a favourite of Harry and Meghan as they've spent a lot of time there. Great place to be alone and private but I think also, that Meghan has really tuned in to Harry and the family and the fact that she wishes to be baptised and confirmed into the CofE when she is not required to do so, speaks of a personal desire to be part of the faith and share in it with Harry. The church plays a large part in royal activities for obvious reasons but I believe this move is both personal and important to Megan.

I always liked Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones' choice of three bridesmaids, all around 15 years old. Much better than toddlers and little children. I also believe Prince George, in such a big situation, would be very nervous; remember how he was when he started school; Charlotte seems a more robust character. Charles and Anne V2.

Louise could be one of the three, and I expect Meghan has probably got friends who have early-teen daughters.

That's just my guess.

This may really be a suggestion from way out in left field in a galaxy far, far away but considering all the discussion lately about being Christian, wouldn't it be a big and wonderful thing for Meghan to actually ask her step sister, Samantha, to be a part of the bridal party. Wheelchair and all.

With the emphasis that the Royal Foundation has been putting on acceptance of differences, what better way than to show a prime example of how forgiveness and understanding and compassion really work in day to day life.

Told you it was off the wall and 99.5% sure it won't happen. :D

Even if they would go for 4 children each, Harry might choose two of his (5-6) godchildren instead of second cousins (once removed) in addition to his nephew and niece.

What second cousins once removed from Harry are you referring to?

If you mean Mia, Savannah and Isla--they are Harry's first cousins once removed as their parents (Zara, Peter) are Harry's first cousins.

They could go mostly with adult attendants and only a few children or a number of children. It's hard to say. As for which children, that also depends on whether their parents think their kid could handle it.

This may really be a suggestion from way out in left field in a galaxy far, far away but considering all the discussion lately about being Christian, wouldn't it be a big and wonderful thing for Meghan to actually ask her step sister, Samantha, to be a part of the bridal party. Wheelchair and all.

With the emphasis that the Royal Foundation has been putting on acceptance of differences, what better way than to show a prime example of how forgiveness and understanding and compassion really work in day to day life.

Told you it was off the wall and 99.5% sure it won't happen. :D

The short answer? No.

I don't think it will happen. Has nothing to do with acceptance or being Christian. I quite simply don't believe that she has never said those things at the beginning of the relationship and she continues to profit off of Meghan. Emily Andrews was on Twitter being very adamant that they have it on tape. She gets things wrong sometimes, but she's not the type to go on record and say something like this if she knows it's a lie. There is something to be said about protecting yourself. Besides, she wasn't at Meghan's 2011 wedding, I don't see why she would be invited to this one.

What second cousins once removed from Harry are you referring to?

If you mean Mia, Savannah and Isla--they are Harry's first cousins once removed as their parents (Zara, Peter) are Harry's first cousins.

They could go mostly with adult attendants and only a few children or a number of children. It's hard to say. As for which children, that also depends on whether their parents think their kid could handle it.

You are right; I was both thinking of second cousins (William asked Margarita for example) and indeed the 'first cousins once removed' (Savannah, Isla, Mia); George's classmate Maud could be another second cousin (but without the once removed :ermm: ).

You are right; I was both thinking of second cousins (William asked Margarita for example) and indeed the 'first cousins once removed' (Savannah, Isla, Mia); George's classmate Maud could be another second cousin (but without the once removed :ermm: ).

I think Maude is actually Harry's 3rd cousin.;)

King George VI & Prince George, Duke of Kent, brothers

Queen Elizabeth & Prince Michael of Kent, first cousins

Princes Charles & Lord Frederick Windsor, second cousins

Prince Harry & Miss Maude Windsor, third cousins

It is really confusing unless it is all mapped out--especially when the ages of the generations don't match.?

Maude would be so cute with her red hair!

William and Kate had 6 attendants at their wedding - one of William's cousins (Louise), one second cousin (Margarita Armstrong-Jones), one of Camilla's grandchildren (Eliza Lopes), two of William's godchildren (Grace van Cutsem and Tom Pettifer), and one child of someone close to the couple (William Lowther-Pinkerton). The eldest was 10, the youngest was 3.

It seems likely that George and Charlotte will be attendants, and just based on age the Phillips girls or Mia Tindall might be chosen (1 of the three of them, not all). William and Harry don't seem particularly close to Charles Spencer, so I wouldn't expect one of his younger children to be an attendant, but it does seem like both William and Harry are close with their maternal aunts, so it's possible that they could go with one of either Sarah or Jane's grandchildren (Sarah's eldest grandchild was born in 2014, Jane's eldest in 2015).

Camilla's grandchildren range in age from 10 to 7. So, on the older side but within the same range as William and Kate's attendants. It would be nice to see one of Camilla's grandchildren be an attendant.

Harry has 2 godchildren, Fred Pettifer (16) and Jasper Galloway Dyer (5). Fred's too old, but Jasper's in that age range.

For Megan's friends... it seems like Meghan is very close with Benita Litt's children, although I don't know how old they are. Meghan's co-stars Sarah Rafferty and Gabriel Macht both have younger children. And, of course, Brian and Jessica Mulroney's children are all within that 10 - 3 age range.

I wouldn't be expecting, or I hope, a heavy Windsor contingent of bridal party. Unlike Kate who didn't seem to get a single bridal party member other then Pippa, Meghan has friends and family with kids.

Other then George and Charlotte I am not sure we will see any Windsors or Spencers involved.

Meghan seems extremely close to her 'fairy goddaughters' and to Ivy Mulroney. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 if not all 3 were involved.

I see there being the same as Cambridge, 2 page and 4 bridesmaids. And either even half and half, or at least Meghan getting 2.

Something like:

Page boys:
-George
-Jasper Dyer

Bridesmaids
-Charlotte
-Ivy Mulroney https://cdn.torontolife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/jess_and_ivy-1-368x0-c-default.jpg
-one of her fairy goddaughters https://www.instagram.com/p/BNVh5BVge80/?taken-by=meghanmarkle

The fourth, if they choose to even it out, Meghan could use both goddaughters. Or I believe her cousin has kids. If not, then Harry may choose one of Peter's daughters (they seem of age close to Meghan's goddaughters, then Mia is so better pair with her).

I remember hearing that WA wasn't William's preferred venue at the time and I have to admit I was hugely disappointed with WA for their wedding because it somehow gloomed over the top of everyone and even the addition of full-grown trees did little to help.

At that time William was still very shy and a little awkward being in front of a lot of people and I think you have to be a bit larger than life to pull it off. Perhaps it was that Catherine's train was not as big as it could have been that made them look sort of lost standing in front. I don't really know, but I remember thinking that it was possibly also the way the Abbey is laid out. Cosy it is not!

What i didn't like at William and Kate's Wedding was that only the bridal Couple was seating/standing before the High Altar and their Families seating down the stairs. At all earlier Royal Wedding the Families of the bridal Couples where seating on the left and right side of the High Altar and those it looked more familiar.

Last edited:
Many of have probably seen it but here is a couple of youtube-links to remind ourselves of Edward and Sophie's lovely wedding at St George's Chapel on 19:th June 1999.

Windsor can host large crowds. If they use the whole long walk for crowds too they can host many thousands more people to this wedding, should it be neccesary ;)

Last edited:
They are going to have to get really creative with this. Victoria Arbiter, who is a royal commentator and Dickie Arbiter's daughter, is expressing concerns over how they are going to accommodate all the media. She lives in New York, so she does more US show about BRF than British shows. She was hugely supportive of St. George's Chapel before the announcement and still is. However, today she's expressing that she's afraid someone in charge of logistics might be underestimating US interest. She did 32 interviews on Monday alone.

I definitely think it's a valid concern, not just with media interest but public as well. Although, I'm not sure I would say they are underestimating interest. Certainly, they have to know it will be great, especially with Meghan being American. Perhaps they believe they can work around the limitations. If so, lets hope they are right.

Altho' i'm a fan of St George's as a venue, I do think that [given the level of public interest here and in America]
, vastly more well wishers are likely to attend than did for the Wessexes, and so the planners will need to 'think outside the box' and plan accordingly.

But they do have vast amounts of experience in big 'set-pieces', so i've every confidence in them..

In terms of guests, I wonder who we’ll see attending from foreign courts? Prince Andrew’s wedding had a large European royal presence whereas Prince Edward’s wedding only saw around 4 or 5. What do people think? Any predictions on attendees?

I would think that Prince Seeiso of Lesotho and his wife are almost a sure fire bet to be there. Seeiso and Harry founded Sentebale together.

In terms of guests, I wonder who we’ll see attending from foreign courts? Prince Andrew’s wedding had a large European royal presence whereas Prince Edward’s wedding only saw around 4 or 5. What do people think? Any predictions on attendees?

I don't think we'll see as many as Andrew's as we are past the scale of how they did things in 80s. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than Edward's wedding. Keep in mind that Edward and Sophie purposely kept things lower keyed because they planned on largely remaining in their private jobs.

And it does seem that they plan on sending Harry out to more foreign trips on an official basis based on what's been going on this year and late last year.

I would imagine that more junior members of foreign royal families would be sent as representatives rather than any of the reigning monarchs and their wives. Perhaps Joachim & Marie from Denmark, Constantijn and Laurentien from the Netherlands, Felix and Claire from Luxembourg etc.

I think Maude is actually Harry's 3rd cousin.;)

King George VI & Prince George, Duke of Kent, brothers

Queen Elizabeth & Prince Michael of Kent, first cousins

Princes Charles & Lord Frederick Windsor, second cousins

Prince Harry & Miss Maude Windsor, third cousins

It is really confusing unless it is all mapped out--especially when the ages of the generations don't match.?

Maude would be so cute with her red hair!
You're right again. For one moment I thought I found a second cousin once removed but realised that wasn't the case as Michael is a cousin of Elizabeth... but adjusted my initial mistake in the wrong direction :flowers:

Harry has 2 godchildren, Fred Pettifer (16) and Jasper Galloway Dyer (5). Fred's too old, but Jasper's in that age range.
Harry himself said he has 5 or 6 godchildren. Fred and Jasper are the ones we know by name but he is the godfather of a few more of his friend's children!

For Megan's friends... it seems like Meghan is very close with Benita Litt's children, although I don't know how old they are. Meghan's co-stars Sarah Rafferty and Gabriel Macht both have younger children. And, of course, Brian and Jessica Mulroney's children are all within that 10 - 3 age range.
Based on last year's christmas picture, Meghan's 'fairy godchildren' will probably be 6-8 years old in May?! Looked like they were either twins or very close in age.

I wonder whether any members of the Greek Royal family will be guests, as they are close to Charles? Perhaps not King Constantine as he is in bad health, has limited mobility etc, but some of the others.

I wonder whether any members of the Greek Royal family will be guests, as they are close to Charles? Perhaps not King Constantine as he is in bad health, has limited mobility etc, but some of the others.

Marie-Chantal, Crown Princess of Greece, did tweet out a congratulations to the couple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom