Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. Given Harry is soon to be 6th in line , I think a wedding at St George’s with no bank holiday is suitable for someone in his position.

Perhaps it is - though Andrew was at the Abbey and Harry's more similar to him than Edward.

But okay. I'm just disappointed that the pomp and circumstance I associate with Royal Weddings will be mostly absent. I love that part.

I'm gonna go try to get my excitement back up - I feel really deflated by the news.

Perhaps it is - though Andrew was at the Abbey and Harry's more similar to him than Edward.

But okay. I'm just disappointed that the pomp and circumstance I associate with Royal Weddings will be mostly absent. I love that part.

I'm gonna go try to get my excitement back up - I feel really deflated by the news.

I'm bummed about it too.

Rebecca English‏Verified account
@RE_DailyMail
Following Following @RE_DailyMail
More
#Harry and #Meghan will get married in St George's Chapel at Windsor in May. Exact date to be confirmed. Meghan will also apply to become a British citizen but retain her US citizenship while she does. They want their wedding to be 'fun and joyful' and involve the public.

The wedding will be held in May at St. George's Chapel.

And Meghan is going to be an Anglican. There'll be a huge reception and party at Windsor Castle, and the wedding will be beautiful

St George's is very old and very prestigious and beautiful. It's lovely. And a joint engagement soon, so they're starting her off early!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. Given Harry is soon to be 6th in line , I think a wedding at St George’s with no bank holiday is suitable for someone in his position.

I don't see that. Andrew was 4th in line when he married, Edward was 7th. Harry will be 6th when he marries, that puts him closer to Edward. Especially when you consider that Harry is just a grandson to the reigning Monarch. If Charles was King right now I'd think you'd have a better argument for the Abbey.

I don't see that. Andrew was 4th in line when he married, Edward was 7th. Harry will be 6th when he marries, that puts him closer to Edward. Especially when you consider that Harry is just a grandson to the reigning Monarch. If Charles was King right now I'd think you'd have a better argument for the Abbey.

I don't think it was necessarily done because of whichever in line to the throne. I think it's really the couple that had the final decision as this could've gone either way if we were to look at precedence. Kensington Palace has said that Windsor Castle has become close to the couple's heart. I'm willing to wager that they've spent significant time there already.

This is not a small out of the way Church. They can have a really nice even grand wedding there. From what we are hearing they want it to be a fun and joyful event so perhaps not super formal in 'tone'. That doesn't mean we won't get a gorgeous dress and beautiful decorations ..lots of guests.

LaRae

Welp. There goes all of the pomp and circumstance I was craving. I'm sure the ceremony will be lovely. Just disappointed about the location. Really, really disappointed.

No balcony kiss.

Oh well.

They can still have a bit more pomp then at Edward's Wedding. Let's hope the men will wear their uniforms and Orders etc. At Edward's wedding they had that strange dresscode with men in morning suit (despite the Wedding beeing in the late afternoon) and the ladies in long gown's but neither tiaras or hats where wished.
And they can still have a nice carriage tour through Windsor town.

This is not a small out of the way Church. They can have a really nice even grand wedding there. From what we are hearing they want it to be a fun and joyful event so perhaps not super formal in 'tone'. That doesn't mean we won't get a gorgeous dress and beautiful decorations ..lots of guests.

LaRae

I have said REPEATEDLY that my issue isn't the ceremony/wedding itself but all of the pomp and circumstance of the procession to get to the church, the people lining the streets cheering, the excitement of waiting to see the bride arrive at the church, the arrival of the other royals at the church, Harry and Wil's arrival at the church and then the procession through the streets afterwards. The bells ringing loudly... when Sophie got out of the car at her wedding (and Camilla too), there was nearly no reaction from the few people they could fit in that area.

It just fell flat for me - as a royal watcher who loves that aspect of royal weddings.

I've said more than once that the actual wedding I expect to be lovely - the one thing I did like about E+S's wedding was the lovely ceremony - but what I was completely overwhelmed by was the procession to the church for everyone. That was just ... so lacking in pomp and circumstance that it felt less like a royal wedding to me.

The one bright spot for the moment for me is that the venue is gorgeous and I can only imagine the flowers they'll have - but I am sorely disappointed that the P&C part won't live up to what I was hoping for.

That makes sense..I wondered where it was they were taking these long country walks without running into people (who might have cameras etc).

This, marrying at St George, ties into their sentimental/romantic take on things so far.

LaRae

Very exciting news. It’s sure to be lovely in every way.

I have said REPEATEDLY that my issue isn't the ceremony/wedding itself but all of the pomp and circumstance of the procession to get to the church, the people lining the streets cheering, the excitement of waiting to see the bride arrive at the church, the arrival of the other royals at the church, Harry and Wil's arrival at the church and then the procession through the streets afterwards. The bells ringing loudly... when Sophie got out of the car at her wedding (and Camilla too), there was nearly no reaction from the few people they could fit in that area.

It just fell flat for me - as a royal watcher who loves that aspect of royal weddings.

I've said more than once that the actual wedding I expect to be lovely - the one thing I did like about E+S's wedding was the lovely ceremony - but what I was completely overwhelmed by was the procession to the church for everyone. That was just ... so lacking in pomp and circumstance that it felt less like a royal wedding to me.

The one bright spot for the moment for me is that the venue is gorgeous and I can only imagine the flowers they'll have - but I am sorely disappointed that the P&C part won't live up to what I was hoping for.

I feel better after reading that Windsor is close to the couple's heart.

But Princess Alexandra a cousin of the Queen also had a Abbey Wedding. And she was much further back in the line of succession then place 6.
I have said REPEATEDLY that my issue isn't the ceremony/wedding itself but all of the pomp and circumstance of the procession to get to the church, the people lining the streets cheering, the excitement of waiting to see the bride arrive at the church, the arrival of the other royals at the church, Harry and Wil's arrival at the church and then the procession through the streets afterwards.
But much of the that was already pulled down in 2011 when the choose cars for the arrivals at the Abbey and not a big carriage procession like in 1986.

Last edited:
I knew St. George’s Chapel, Windsor, would be the place. It’s going to be televised and they can kiss on the Chapel’s steps.

I'm chuffed Windsor will get a Royal Wedding tourism boost. Friends of mine run [respectively] a Pub and a restaurant there, and the town's economy could do with such an injection of interest.
For Americans who'd like to see the celebrations in person, there are some great Hotels there, [Heathrow is but a few miles away] and London is easily accessible by both Rail and car...

DO come, you'd be so very welcome !

Me too, they televise all the weddings.

But I have to admit a lot of the excitement and anticipation has gone out of the wedding (at least for me) now that I know it will be a more low-key event at Saint George's Chapel.

I'm sure it will be nice but I am really disappointed. :sad:

Last edited:
I'm chuffed Windsor will get a Royal Wedding tourism boost. Friends of mine run [respectively] a Pub and a restaurant there, and the town's economy could do with such an injection of interest.
For Americans who'd like to see the celebrations in person, there a great Hotels there, [Heathrow is but a few miles away] and London is easily accessible by both Rail and car...

DO come, you'd be so very welcome !

How long do you think we'd need to queue up in advance to get a decent spot along the processional/recessional route?

I'm working on it, :lol:

I really stupidly got my hopes up, lol.

I fear that you indeed got your hopes hung up on the "wrong man" :D
Harry doesn't seem to be the type for "pomp and circumstance".

I think Harry and Meghan wanted something simpler but romantic. The pomp and ceremony are nice but a lot goes into something like that maybe they just wanted everyone to be as comfortable as possible. I think it will be a beautiful wedding and we will see them since it will be televised.

I knew St. George’s Chapel, Windsor, would be the place. It’s going to be televised and they can kiss on the Chapel’s steps.

Are we sure it's going to be televised? There are no camera's allowed in St George's Chapel.
To avoid mistakes or confusion: I'd love to watch their wedding on TV, it's just because of the general protocol there.

Are we sure it's going to be televised? There are no camera's allowed in St George's Chapel.
To avoid mistakes or confusion: I'd love to watch his wedding on TV, it's just because of the general protocol there.

Edward and Sophie's wedding was televised.

So exciting. Lots of rumors in the coming months though.

LaRae

I think security and the disruption to traffic in London might have been a consideration to the decision--not the deciding factor but a consideration. Holding the wedding at Windsor is easier.

Sophie and Edward's wedding was televised so I would think this one would as well. I don't see them not showing it especially since this is a big event.

Edward and Sophie's wedding was televised.

Oh shoot, I totally forgot about them in all this chaos. You're right. Then we have nothing to worry about.

Sophie and Edward's wedding was televised so I would think this one would as well. I don't see them not showing it especially since this is a big event.

True, their wedding had not come up in my mind. I was thinking along the lines of Peter Phillips' wedding, but he is of course in a totally different league. But then this will be televised as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom