Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would that be controversial? Politicians/heads of state are also people with friends, just like everyone else. As long as they are listed as friends of the couple (not representing their country), I see no problem with that.

Yes, and I’m sure statements will go out from the palace beforehand that they are attending as personal guests of the couple so there will be no confusion. It’d be awfully sad if you can’t invite friends that are dear to you just because which family you belong to and how successful they are.

My thing is that I want the balcony kiss, and yes I know about the steps and carriage ride through Windsor, but we get the carriage ride through London too. And this really is the last Abbey wedding we’ll see the BRF have until George, Charlotte, and Cambridge #3. There can be other private St. George Chapel royal weddings before then as Peter Phillips also married there. We’ll probably get photos after the fact even if the York and Wessex children’s weddings likely won’t be televised. And if St.George for non-heir is the new way to go, then it’s likely only George would marry at the Abbey in the future. And that’s just sad for the Abbey.

Agreed.

Plus - the historic shot of Meghan and Harry kissing on the balcony? That's just gold.

I wonder if the BRF would give up the huge tourism boost to London by holding this wedding in Windsor. Because that would definitely reduce the tourists coming for the wedding. They'd still get the boost they normally get after royal weddings - but they wouldn't get the London boost.

I really wish I could be like everyone else who wants St. George's - but I'm gonna be so disappointed with that as a venue. There's no drama, no epic procession, and no pomp and circumstance. It could be any wedding and not the wedding of a Senior Royal marrying an American - and an African American biracial bride at that. The US has gone bonkers over this - it'd be a shame to just give up those tourism dollars.

I'm not LadyGlendower, but I think she means with 'drama' that the entrance with the steps of St George's (can) work heavily on the emotions (if you're sensitive to it).

And Edward and Sophie would never have had a wedding on the scale of Charles, Andrew and William. His personality (and Sophie's) isn't like that and neither was his position.

I do understand your feelings about British weddings in general, though.
And Edward and Sophie were expected to keep their day jobs and not devote their lives to representing the monarch where his siblings were all expected to do so. Even though that’s not how it worked out, that does make it a different situation than this. Meghan and Harry are expected to spend the rest of their lives being working royals as was made clear in yesterday’s interview.

Those balcony kisses have become quite the treat, haven't they? :D

OMG, that’s the biggest thing for me. It’s one wonderful tradition that Charles and Diana started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would that be controversial? Politicians/heads of state are also people with friends, just like everyone else. As long as they are listed as friends of the couple (not representing their country), I see no problem with that.

Besides, Justin Trudeau is not a Head of State.

Half the fun of watching those weddings was the procession and the pomp and circumstance of them. Watching the car waiting for Catherine to get in. People cheering madly as each senior BRF couple exited in a car/carriage for the Abbey/Cathedral.

There was none of that drama with E&S - even with the stairs there.

Exactly!
That wedding (Edward and Sophie) seemed so anti-climactic.
I was so disappointed. Somehow it felt dreary.

And I really thought Peter Phillips' wedding wasn't at all nice (those green strapless dresses were so unflattering).

But then, these couples were not expected to be part of the Firm.

Harry and Meghan will be, so I am still holding out hope for Westminster Abbey., and all the pomp and ceremony!
It's the last chance for decades!

Last edited:
THe more I think about it, the more I think the location wasn’t finalized when PoW made the announcement. Maybe hey were expecting to take the public temperature a bit? If it was decided at St. George, then he would’ve just said Windsor like he said London in the Cambridge announcement.

The royal watchers are still saying the info is supposed to be released today so....coming up to 2 pm in London.

LaRae

Prince Andrew had foreign royals at his wedding so why not Harry especially if it's at WA?

Why am I so stressed/pressed about this? Snap out of it FM!

You would think it was my wedding, lol. Damn.

Harry's best man could be his older godson Frederick Pettifer (he will be 17 next year).
And one of the page boys - the younger one, Jasper Dyer (6 next year).

I don't see anyone but William as Harry's best man.

I think once we know more info (location/date) it will help us more imagine the general plan.

LaRae

William will most definately be Harry's best man!

LaRae

I'm not sure how useful the visa regulations are in figuring this out. A general feature of the strict immigration laws in western countries is that they often become very flexible when the applicants are people of status or means.

I don't think they would risk the backlash .

Why am I so stressed/pressed about this? Snap out of it FM!

You would think it was my wedding, lol. Damn.

Tell me about it. I jumped out of bed and screamed and jumped up and down when I saw the news pop up. Don't think I'll be this happy even when I get engaged.

Apparently Windsor is closed around the Queen's birthday because of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting; see tweet.

It seemed an illogical date given Catherine's due date, so this explains the closure of the Castle.

Tell me about it. I jumped out of bed and screamed and jumped up and down when I saw the news pop up. Don't think I'll be this happy even when I get engaged.

I just laughed so hard I snorted. :lol:

Apparently Windsor is closed around the Queen's birthday because of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting; see tweet.

It seemed an illogical date given Catherine's due date, so this explains the closure of the Castle.

Yes, I didn't think it would happen on the Queen's birthday as it is her day.

#RoyalWedding update: It will be at St George's Chapel, Windsor in May. Meghan will be baptised, and confirmed in to church before service. She will become joint US-UK national in time. Royal family paying for core elements. First joint engagement this Friday in Nottingham! Via CNN

Welp. There goes all of the pomp and circumstance I was craving. I'm sure the ceremony will be lovely. Just disappointed about the location. Really, really disappointed.

No balcony kiss.

Oh well.

I'm so disappointed. Yes the wedding will be lovely but I'm really upset that we won't get a historic balcony kiss and there likely won't be much of a procession.

I'm praying they prove me wrong and have some pomp and circumstance. What a missed opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think St George's Chapel fits Harry's personality. Good for them.

May is a lovely month for a wedding. I knew it wouldn't be March, despite Camilla Tominey's assertion.
That made no sense and besides, Lent was a big reason not March.

Sorry for all you guys who were rooting for an Abbey wedding.

But is sounds like a lot of the things people worried about (religion, citizenship) have been sorted out.

Last edited:
Well. Given Harry is soon to be 6th in line , I think a wedding at St George’s with no bank holiday is suitable for someone in his position.

Did Harry's aunt and uncles and their respective spouses have "balcony kisses"?

I was hoping for The Abbey...but May is what I thought!

So exciting! I can't imagine them using St George's and not having a pretty royal type wedding.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom