Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aides say it will be a ‘happy church wedding’

The Archbishop of C. indicated they will be married in a Church too in his congratulation statement.

LaRae

Interesting that Windsor castle is closed completely to the public on April 20 and that the state apts are closed from tours on April 19th and 21st. One of the many articles this weekend mentioned this and I thought could possibly be very telling

That's the weekend of the Queen's birthday.

Theresa May's spokesman says "there are no plans for a bank holiday" to celebrate the wedding

Last edited:
St. George's for the win! (and for the ease of Her Majesty and HRH Phillip)

Tiaras AND Tindalls, please!

so excited----and visiting with all of you is such good fun:flowers:

Ditto! Sounds perfect

I really hope they marry at St George's Chapel as it is much more intimate. I feel Harry will follow in his uncle Edward's footsteps and be much more private with his life. Harry's children will not be Prince or Princess due to current Letter's Patent and I sincerely hope they do not change those to include Harry's children. Many other Monarchies limit the HRH style to the eldest children of the Heir Apparent and the rest are HH or not titled at all. I think this is the way forward.

In terms of attendants George and Charlotte are a given. Does Harry have any godchildren? I can see Savannah or Isla Phillips or Mia Tindall being chosen as they are the only "little girls" within the family and they always seem to have a family member or two in the mix. James, Viscount Severn will be 10 at the time so perhaps he's a bit "too old" to be chosen, which is why I think godchildren, if Harry has any, will be chosen.

Edit: I have just googled and I know Tiggy Legge Bourke's son Fred is one of Harry's godchildren but I believe he is about 15/16 so I might not count him as being chosen.

I agree Molly that if there is a St. George's wedding, that it will be very similar to Edward and Sophie's 1999 wedding.?

Camilla Tominey keeps saying that the wedding will take place before the Cambridge baby is born. But late March seems early, with the possibility of not so nice weather. So perhaps in late April after the baby is born.

Camilla's reasoning doesn't seem to hold much water. She speaks about it on the last part of this segment on Sky News:

Camilla Tominey keeps saying that the wedding will take place before the Cambridge baby is born. But late March seems early, with the possibility of not so nice weather. So perhaps in late April after the baby is born.

Camilla's reasoning doesn't seem to hold much water. She speaks about it on the last part of this segment on Sky News:

Ok, I listened to it. That is nuts!

Kate would not be bringing an infant to the wedding, so she would not be holding a baby while wrangling George and Charlotte.

(And a March wedding would be in the middle of Lent.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see an Abbey wedding. I've read the speculation that Harry will follow Edward's lead - but he could also follow Andrew's lead too...

I'd be very sad not to get the balcony kiss and the procession through the streets of London...

But whatever they think is best.

I wonder who will design her gown? And what tiara she will wear?

I am going with mid-late May. I personally think Kate is really due mid-late March. The palace always gives slightly off due month information to stem some of the media frenzy. May gives Kate time to recover and rest up.

No they don't . They were spot on with George and Charlotte, with Charlotte being a bit late as they had to extend that parking space thing in front of the hospital . I think Kate is due late April , going by when the announcement of the birth month was made and comparing that to how it went with the older children .

I would love to see an Abbey wedding. I've read the speculation that Harry will follow Edward's lead - but he could also follow Andrew's lead too...

I'd be very sad not to get the balcony kiss and the procession through the streets of London...

But whatever they think is best.

I wonder who will design her gown? And what tiara she will wear?

He could follow Andrew's lead but I have a funny feeling Harry is much more keen for a private life. After all he did release a statement asking the press to "back off", something Edward did as well in 1993.

Harry seems to me to be someone who likes his life to be private and will only share what he needs to share now. Their wedding, regardless of where it is, will be televised and a public affair, but I can also see Harry liking Edward's low key wedding and no balcony appearance.

There is absolutely no reason to avoid May as a month. Other royal couples have been married in May.

It has been announced that they will marry in the spring of 2018. Since it is unlikely they will marry before Easter and before William's third child is born, I'd say that there is a great chance the wedding will be in May.

Osipi brought up the interesting question whether Harry will decide to wear a wedding band as well or decide against it (following the lead of his brother). What do you think?

I hope he does but that is more due to personal preference than anything else.

Not wearing a wedding band isn’t really William’s lead. The Duke of Edinburgh doesn’t wear one nor do many men of the upper class. Former PM David Cameron doesn’t wear one.

Not wearing a wedding band isn’t really William’s lead. The Duke of Edinburgh doesn’t wear one nor do many men of the upper class. Former PM David Cameron doesn’t wear one.

I'm sure Prince Philip did wear one to begin with though.

I think Harry will wear a wedding ring.

Interesting. Do you know why? What is the background of this tradition? Did they feel they were 'above' it? Has it any relationship with upper-class men in the past not being frowned upon when not keeping (and sometimes never having the intention to - Charles is an example) their wedding vows?

Edit for clarification: I am not suggesting that anyone following this tradition would do it for the same reasons as when the tradition first started; I am just wondering what started it in the first place.

Last edited:
Theresa May's spokesman says "there are no plans for a bank holiday" to celebrate the wedding
More about it:

Richard Palmer @Royalreporter
Downing Street says Andrew's wedding in 1986 and Edward's in 1999 were not public holidays. But there was a bank holiday for Anne's first wedding in 1973.

I already knew, but thanks to Downing Street and that Palmer guy for telling us.

Interesting. Do you know why? What is the background of this tradition? Did they feel they were 'above' it? Has it any relationship with upper-class men in the past not being frowned upon when not keeping (and sometimes never having the intention to - Charles is an example) their wedding vows?

You're playing a dangerous game with your insinuations.
And it's not the first time ...

You're playing a dangerous game with your insinuations.
And it's not the first time ...

I am not trying to suggest that William is unfaithful at all or would like to keep that option open - I probably should have added that I don't think that someone going by that tradition nowadays would do that for the same reasons (and I am not sure what you are referring to with 'not the first time'). I was just wondering about where the tradition comes from? Do you know?

If you talk about my reference to Charles; I was thinking about Charles himself wondering why he should be the first prince of Wales without a mistress. While I do hold him accountable for his behavior during his marriage (as well as any other person who is married); I also feel for him in that he might have felt trapped with all the expectations laid upon him regarding an 'acceptable partner'.

So, for now I am mainly happy that Harry and Meghan found each other and are clearly marrying out of love while also taking their duties seriously. And whether Harry choses to wear a wedding band or not, doesn't change that but it is still an interesting little detail.

I am guessing he will wear a wedding band out of respect that Meghan is American, and most men do in America.

I am not trying to suggest that William is unfaithful at all or would like to keep that option open - I probably should have added that I don't think that someone going by that tradition nowadays would do that for the same reasons (and I am not sure what you are referring to with 'not the first time'). I was just wondering about where the tradition comes from? Do you know?

If you talk about my reference to Charles; I was thinking about Charles himself wondering why he should be the first prince of Wales without a mistress. While I do hold him accountable for his behavior during his marriage (as well as any other person who is married); I also feel for him in that he might have felt trapped with all the expectations laid upon him regarding an 'acceptable partner'.

So, for now I am mainly happy that Harry and Meghan found each other and are clearly marrying out of love while also taking their duties seriously. And whether Harry choses to wear a wedding band or not, doesn't change that but it is still an interesting little detail.

But Charles did wear a wedding ring after he married Diana and he does now as well, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I am guessing he will wear a wedding band out of respect that Meghan is American, and most men do in America.

I wouldn't say most, I know many who don't, some because they are in jobs where a ring is dangerous to have one on your finger.

Whether Harry wears a wedding ring or not is his personal decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
But Charles did wear a wedding ring after he married Diana and he does now as well, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I was mainly trying to say that it seemed as if fidelity was not seen as an important virtue in the upper class; and as 'not wearing a wedding ring' is apparently quite common among men of the upper class I wondered whether there was a relation.

So far, it seems that nobody knows why especially a large percentage of upper class men do not wear a wedding band in the UK? It could also be because they were so well known in their area that everyone would know that they were married (but that would also apply to their wifes, wouldn't it?). As for William and Harry, whether they wear it or not; everyone will know that they are married (or engaged in the next few months) :whistling:

Sorry, looks like my comment threw the discussion hugely off-topic. I fully agree that it is a personal decision; as long as both Harry and Meghan are fine with whatever the decision might be, that's all what matters.

In my experience, rings are avoided by people working in the UK military esp handling guns, aircraft controls etc because of the risk of catching. I've been happily married for 30 yrs and my other half (ex military) has never worn one. Applies to other work environments as well.

Also, (looking back) it never used to be the "fashion" for men to wear rings. None of the men in my family did. Became more common from the 90's onwards.

I think it'll be a mid may - early June wedding.
I also suspect it'll be at St. George's though I wish for the wedding to be in London.

My father [what used to be called 'landed Gentry'] wears one, as did his father before him...

In my experience, rings are avoided by people working in the UK military esp handling guns, aircraft controls etc because of the risk of catching. I've been happily married for 30 yrs and my other half (ex military) has never worn one. Applies to other work environments as well.

Also, (looking back) it never used to be the "fashion" for men to wear rings. None of the men in my family did. Became more common from the 90's onwards.

Job related makes sense: one of my cousins wears his on a necklace as he is a baker. My father-in-law switched his from right hand (which is customary in the Netherlands) to left hand only a week after his marriage after his ring caught and he hurt his finger quite badly - he never switched back, so for the last almost 40 years my in-laws have worn their wedding band on different hands.

Prince Charles did wear a wedding ring. He just wore it on his pinkie like a lot of upper class men do.

I think a wedding at St Georges Chapel at Windsor in late May would be delightful. St Georges Chapel is so beautiful. Intimate yet grand.

I hope they get married in Scotland like Zara.

Last edited:
I personally dont think not wearing a ring is an issue...i dont think he will...he never wears rings now...cant see that suddenly changing...and i dont think it makes a difference bc plenty of women and men who wear rings that are married are unfaithful...its not the ring that keeps them faithful or not...thats the human being and their impulses that do that...

but to get back on track...i think that it will be st georges chapel..and the more i think about it the more i think its gonna be march...right before kate pops...(i do think kate is due early april--like the first week)

hopefully they can relax a bit now...especially harry...he looked so nervous...hes prob relieved that part is over.. But yay for them and their families!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom