Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would make alterations of my own, I am experienced enough I can adjust things around. I would not mix the flowers in the batter either. I would use them as top decoration. I've never seen buttercream made with any egg product.

I doubt this is the exact recipe that is being used for the wedding cake.

LaRae

Last edited:
If I can figure out where to get fresh elderflowers (and I have no idea about the cordial) I'd like to make this cake...have it on the day of the wedding to celebrate!

LaRae

Any decent liquor store carries St. Germain (ie elderflower cordial) You can find it in mini sizes too.
Unless she makes it herself (which she might be since she posted a recipe) she is probably the one I listed above.

A little research and I found the elderflower cordial on Amazon (American)...not that expensive either, not sure if it's any good or not! https://www.amazon.com/Belvoir-Fruit-Farm-Elderflower-Cordial/dp/B00CAS1860?th=1

Or you can make it https://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/how-to-make-elderflower-cordial/

Hmmm so now to find actual elderflower

LaRae

The article from the baker includes a recipe for cordial :flowers:

I really hope that is not the wedding cake. I quickly asked a few friends (two who are pastry chefs) who live in Britain and three came back saying they tried this cake before, they do not recommend- well they used harsher words. One of them was one of the chefs, I trust his palate.

About the actual recipe:
My eyes popped from shock when I read that the flowers were being mixed into the cake batter. Nope.

And buttercream is not made with egg yolk (I thought that was lemon curd until I read the recipe) The reason you do not use yolk it’s because yolk is a fat, so you are essentially mixing fat with fat. Hence egg whites is used.

Whatever. I truly hope there’s gonna be a second cake.

Unless you were invited, no need to worry about if there is a second cake :D

I assume the couple, like most if not all engaged couples, have sampled the cake before hand. You usually don't order a flavor, and from a baker, you haven't tried yet. As long as the couple likes it.

But considering William and Kate had 2 cakes, it is quite possible they will too. Having a second cake is a good idea especially when some people may not be a fan of one flavor (for those who wouldn't touch fruit cake with a ten foot pole, there was William's chocolate biscuit cake).

Thanks for the excellent and profession opinion on this cake, evolvingdoors. From what you've stated, I think if I was going to have a piece of cake to celebrate this wedding, I'll just grab myself a cheesecake. I'm not a big dessert eater.

If anyone does try this cake, let me know how it turns out? I'm curious.

Yeah we are rural here. The closest liquor store that would have that type of variety (maybe) is over an hour away ..however I have messaged them on FB to see if they carry any!

LaRae

Thanks for the excellent and profession opinion on this cake, evolvingdoors. From what you've stated, I think if I was going to have a piece of cake to celebrate this wedding, I'll just grab myself a cheesecake. I'm not a big dessert eater.

If anyone does try this cake, let me know how it turns out? I'm curious.

If I can find the cordial I'm going to make it sans elderflower flowers most likely ..so it'll be a variation, but close!

LaRae

I missed that! Guess I didn't scroll down enough! :flowers:

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

Unless you were invited, no need to worry about if there is a second cake :D

I assume the couple, like most if not all engaged couples, have sampled the cake before hand. You usually don't order a flavor, and from a baker, you haven't tried yet. As long as the couple likes it.

But considering William and Kate had 2 cakes, it is quite possible they will too. Having a second cake is a good idea especially when some people may not be a fan of one flavor (for those who wouldn't touch fruit cake with a ten foot pole, there was William's chocolate biscuit cake).

I highly doubt I am invited. As I personally do not know either groom or bride.
I would have much rather do their cake than be a guest. :)

And having done wedding cakes I have learned that when a couple likes the more unique cake flavors it usually ends up with cut cake pieces in the trash (like you can see they guests took a bite or two and.. nope. Happens every time!), whatsever left is given to the catering staff to take home, in some cases may be donated to a soup kitchen (depends on state law) if neither it goes to the trash.

Wedding invites tend to like the classics at a wedding, which is why they are classic.
Unique cake flavor are best saved for smaller events like anniversaries or birthday or graduation, promotion (when celebrated with close friends and family).

:previous: And many times couples who are foodies, like Meghan at least is, have friends with similar tastes. I spent about three years working as a server and bar tender for weddings in college, and I saw plenty of different wedding cakes. Honestly I found more people tried the unique wedding cakes. Wedding cakes don't get eaten plain and simple, they ware waste of money, no matter the flavor. Things like fondant turn people off. That is why cupcake towers (with multiple flavors), dessert tables and other alternatives are far more popular for weddings now a days. Even cookies or pies.

But if Harry is anything like his brother, there will be a 'manly cake' and something less adventurous eaters can dive into.

In a wedding where the bride and groom will have very little say on how most of the wedding is, their food choices they are welcome to pick what they want. Likely one of the few say they have, especially for the day time reception hosted by the queen. Charles will likely allow them to have pretty much say on what happens at night.

As for buttercream not using egg yolks- depends on the buttercream. French buttercream (the kind in macarons for instance) does in fact use yolks. And has become very popular for decorating outside of cakes as it is easy to work with.

https://pastrieslikeapro.com/2013/10/french-buttercream/#.WracwExFzIU

Last edited:
Countess you are correct, so I stand corrected! It’s been ages since I made French buttercream- probably since culinary school. I mostly used Italian buttercream. Sometimes Swiss. Never American though!! Lol.

Even foodies tend to like traditional flavor for the wedding cake. A lot of it is because the food menu is so big, flavor wise.

I am absolutely sure that there will be a groom's cake (Harry has a sweet tooth apparently) and perhaps even a fruit cake as well for the traditionalists. I'm sure back-up cakes are made too, in case of disasters, taste-wise and other.

As I am British-born and come from an older generation I'm used to fruit cakes and puddings and am rather fond of them, though funnily enough I didn't have one for my own wedding. They used to be standard fare at weddings in both Australia and Britain. However, I have to say I haven't been to a wedding in the last fifteen years here and in the UK that has had a fruitcake. It's completely gone out of fashion. The last wedding I attended here in Aus we were served Black Forest cake and cream, which was very nice.

I don't think this has come up, but Elderberry (as it is called in my part of the US) grows wild in ditches and hedgerows across the Midwest, US. Same Genus as the European elderflower - just a different species. And the flowers and berries are both used in recipes.

It's long been used to make wine - going back to pioneer days, here. The Principles of Elderberry Fruit Wine Making - The Daily Fruit Wine

Elderberry liqueur has also become quite popular for mixologists!

I have located a bottle of St Germain Elderflower cordial (almost 40.00 American dollars!) at the big liquor store an hour away.

This is going to be an interesting experiment!

LaRae

Harry got his proper name even though he has been called Harry since his birth because Harry is just a nickname, Meghan is not. Rachel is her first given name, Meghan her second, but like Harry, she has been called Meghan since she was a child,

Harry may go by Harry. However, to this very hour hundreds of people do not know that he is actually Henry and not Harry.
Will they not be in for a shock when they hear him referred to as Prince Henry on his wedding day?

Maybe some will. I can remember reports that when Harry formally closed the London Olympics and was introduced as 'Prince Henry' people in the arena reportedly looked around wondering who 'Henry' was.

I'm sure they would not have picked the cake without trying it first. I know I did before we got married.

Good for Meghan and Harry for doing what feels best for them and not worrying about others. If people at the wedding like the cake then they'll eat it if not who cares. If there is ever a Royal forums wedding we'll take a poll on what kind of cake to have.

Harry and Meghan's wedding china is on sale and it's lovely. Cornflower blue, white trim, the initials H and M are side by side in gold linked with what looks like a lover's knot and topped with a coronet over part of each initial. The gold is 22K.

Last edited:
I'm very tempted by the teacup/mug. Shipping will be terrible though.

LaRae

IMO, Harry could wear his camouflage uniform from the Army and still rock it.

No! :ermm: No, no, no! A wedding with such a blatantly militaristic element? Yuck!

No military uniform at all would be my choice.

If I can figure out where to get fresh elderflowers (and I have no idea about the cordial) I'd like to make this cake...have it on the day of the wedding to celebrate! LaRae

Went though my head, too. ;) But also because the cake has been so roundly panned in some quarters as an odd choice of flavors, I am inclined to check it out.

No! :ermm: No, no, no! A wedding with such a blatantly militaristic element? Yuck!

No military uniform at all would be my choice.

Went though my head, too. ;) But also because the cake has been so roundly panned in some quarters as an odd choice of flavors, I am inclined to check it out.

If I was in the UK I'd go lay money down on his new blue/Marine dress uniform! :D

I like to try new foods...not gonna find the elderflower but I have the cordial tracked down...the only way I'll ever taste it is if I make it. No bakeries with 50 miles of me!

I might do a cupcake version :flowers:

LaRae

If I was in the UK I'd go lay money down on his new blue/Marine dress uniform! :D

I'd be okay with that one. :flowers: Blue (rather than black) would have better options for flowers and such, too.

I like to try new foods...not gonna find the elderflower but I have the cordial tracked down...the only way I'll ever taste it is if I make it. No bakeries with 50 miles of me!

I might do a cupcake version :flowers: LaRae

Good idea. :flowers: We must compare notes. (Hope I can get to it!)

It will be a lot of fun...getting the 'toy' tiaras too for my granddaughter and I to wear (and any unsuspecting adult I manage to drag over to watch). LOL

I will be making scones too...and we already drink hot tea here!

LaRae

It will be a lot of fun...getting the 'toy' tiaras too for my granddaughter and I to wear (and any unsuspecting adult I manage to drag over to watch). LOL

I will be making scones too...and we already drink hot tea here! LaRae

Sounds like fun for your granddaughter, Pranter! :flowers: And you! ❤️

I have to admit my daughters are now old enough to enjoy this kind of spectacle, too. Depends on where we are, but if we are in SoCal on May 19th I will definitely sit them down for a viewing. ;)

Some report is claiming the invitations are not set for certain people to bring a spouse or a plus one.

Some report is claiming the invitations are not set for certain people to bring a spouse or a plus one.

For high security risk events like this the invitation will specifically name the person or persons invited. A plus one is never going to happen, it would be a nightmare for security.

That is to be expected at these type of events. Both for security and seating purposes, control of who is coming to the event. Not the 'no ring no bring' idea spouted around Pippa's. Simply if you don't have a spouse or a partner who is known enough to be named on the invite, they aren't invited. One thing to invite a long time boyfriend (like Lady Gabriella's boyfriend Tom perhaps) but another to allow Beatrice to bring a random date as her plus one.

Spouses wouldn't be a plus one, it would be like the Bransons, Sir and Lady Branson on the invite, and so on.

Cant escape wedding cake talk.... watching Spring baking challenge and they have a cupcake challenge. They have to use floral essence in their cupcakes. One is Elderflower. Will have to see how they handle it.

Last edited:
A request by Charles falls well short of a Command by The Queen. I’m beginning to think we won’t see any royals outside the Greeks And maybe a few Germans.

Last edited:

I've heard 2 different reports about the no spouses thing; one is that everyone is getting an individual invitation - so an invitation for HRH The Duke of Cambridge and a separate invitation for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, instead of one invitation for TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. I'm not entirely sure I buy that, I think I'd have to actually see two wedding invitations for a married couple to believe it.

The other report I'm seeing is that the people who aren't getting spouse invites are the people who aren't actually friends or family with the couple, but rather are people Harry and/or Meghan know through their charity work. Which to me that makes sense, these are more "work" invites than anything else.

The no plus one makes complete sense as well. Frankly, I don't get why any wedding (royal or not) would have plus ones on an invite. Weddings are expensive and the expense goes up with every person you invite to it. Why would you invite people you do not know at all just so your guest can have a date? It would be different if your guest was in a longer relationship and the invite was for both them and their significant other, but just a "plus one"? That's an unnecessary expense.

I've heard 2 different reports about the no spouses thing; one is that everyone is getting an individual invitation - so an invitation for HRH The Duke of Cambridge and a separate invitation for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, instead of one invitation for TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. I'm not entirely sure I buy that, I think I'd have to actually see two wedding invitations for a married couple to believe it.

The other report I'm seeing is that the people who aren't getting spouse invites are the people who aren't actually friends or family with the couple, but rather are people Harry and/or Meghan know through their charity work. Which to me that makes sense, these are more "work" invites than anything else.

The no plus one makes complete sense as well. Frankly, I don't get why any wedding (royal or not) would have plus ones on an invite. Weddings are expensive and the expense goes up with every person you invite to it. Why would you invite people you do not know at all just so your guest can have a date? It would be different if your guest was in a longer relationship and the invite was for both them and their significant other, but just a "plus one"? That's an unnecessary expense.
I highly doubt the first scenario because the invitation we saw had two lines. If each person is supposed to get their own invite, it should only have one line for the names. I think it might be that they had to exclude some spouse. They are only inviting 600 people. That fills up quickly considering their families, friends, colleagues, charity representatives, government officials and then Charles probably has people that he added onto the list.

A request by Charles falls well short of a Command by The Queen. I’m beginning to think we won’t see any royals outside the Greeks And maybe a few Germans.

Its a private wedding, even without the queen issuing invitations, there isn't really any reason to believe there would be many foreign royals. Its not like the 80s with the massive royal weddings. Edward and Sophie had a few more but they had a relationship with them. Other then the Olympics, and his recent trip to Denmark, Harry has had little to do with continental royals.

Only obvious one you left off would be Seeiso and his wife. I would assume you meant Germans and not just those related to them among the Germans. If not I would add Prince Franz Albrecht and his wife, Harry hunts with him a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom