Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect for a royal wedding the invitee gets more than just the formal "card" invite. I bet they get at least a sheet or e-mail of instructions, what time, where to arrive, security issues etc.

They must be going for a specific look ...and consider that many of the guest may be American/Canadian who perhaps don't normally wear hats to formal events. It might of been a nice way of just letting them know ...ladies wear a hat!!!

LaRae

They must be going for a specific look ...and consider that many of the guest may be American/Canadian who perhaps don't normally wear hats to formal events. It might of been a nice way of just letting them know ...ladies wear a hat!!! LaRae

Good points. :flowers: Gives me high hopes that we will see hats and not fascinators! The day dresses should be wonderful. One reason why it would be oh-so-nice if the cameras watched the arrivals. Yes, I am interested in what the bride will be wearing ;) but I am also interested in everyone else's dress.

Good points. :flowers: Gives me high hopes that we will see hats and not fascinators! The day dresses should be wonderful. One reason why it would be oh-so-nice if the cameras watched the arrivals. Yes, I am interested in what the bride will be wearing ;) but I am also interested in everyone else's dress.

I bet we see some facinators too. I think everyone is going to be dressed to the nines!

I think she and Harry are gonna look amazing! I am sure thinking more and more she's going to have a wow dress..nothing too casual.

LaRae

I bet we see some facinators too.

I really hope the York princesses don't pull a look-at-me/us fascinator event. :sad:

I think everyone is going to be dressed to the nines!

Yes, and with a late spring wedding those dresses could be almost summery (maybe).

I think she and Harry are gonna look amazing!

BTW we've established that Harry will be dressed in his black uniform, correct? The one he wore at William's and Kate's wedding? If so I've just realized that that will likely be a dominant element in how the colors play out for the rest of the wedding, even her dress. Interesting element to consider.

I am sure thinking more and more she's going to have a wow dress, nothing too casual. LaRae

Whatever it is it will be elegant, and very her. :flowers:

BTW we've established that Harry will be dressed in his black uniform, correct? The one he wore at William's and Kate's wedding? If so I've just realized that that will likely be a dominant element in how the colors play out for the rest of the wedding, even her dress. Interesting element to consider.

No, we don’t know. He has two possible uniforms, a black one and a navy blue one. We have to wait for May 19th to see which one he chooses, like we did with William.

Hat wise I am pretty sure it will be a mix. The upper crust British guests will likely wear what they normally wear- and that is many fascinators, and smaller cocktail like hats (based on photos from the Cambridge and other weddings we have seen, non-royal ones included).

But the American/Canadian guests will likely bring out some proper hats. Fascinators aren't quite a thing here. Some may wear one just to 'when in Rome....' and all.

I really hope the York princesses don't pull a look-at-me/us fascinator event. :sad:

Yes, and with a late spring wedding those dresses could be almost summery (maybe).

Whatever it is it will be elegant, and very her. :flowers:

I'm trying not to think about the York girls and their fascination for horrific fascinators. :whistling:

From what I understand Harry will wear his most senior uniform and it will be the one connected to the patronage he took over from the DoE..I believe it is a dark navy blue uniform.

I'm expecting summery dresses...but if it's a bit chilly there in May...might be more substantial.

LaRae

From what I understand Harry will wear his most senior uniform and it will be the one connected to the patronage he took over from the DoE..I believe it is a dark navy blue uniform. LaRae

Is the dark navy blue uniform the one in the third picture down (in the link) where he is wearing a pale blue beret? :huh:

The many uniforms of Prince Harry explained – Royal Central

The black uniform is the one he wore at William's wedding. :flowers:

Yes I think it might be the Blues and Royals...that's the one he is most likely to wear...minus the beret. Someone posted a pic of Phillip wearing the dress uniform that we should be seeing Harry in...I just can't remember which thread here!

LaRae

My money is on the Marines uniform for a couple of reasons. One, that's is his highest position in the military. Two, there are debates as to whether someone who is no longer in the military should wear their military uniform for wedding (for Harry, Royals and Blues uniform). It might not be a violation of formal rules, but some do feel it's not appropriate. OTOH, he does currently hold an honorary position in the Royal Marines, so there wouldn't be any debate over that.

Personally, I feel like Harry should be able to wear the uniform he served in as it is obvious how much his military service means to him. But, there are other things to consider here.

Why would there be a debate about wearing the uniform after you are out? I've never heard a service member here take issue with that. Maybe it's a UK thing. Either way I fully expect him to be in uniform.

LaRae

I hope women wear fascinators, I think they are beautiful and a unique Twist on hats.

The Blues and Royals is a Household regiment. The officers aren't supposed to wear beards. The last time Harry wore his Blues and Royals uniform a few months ago there was a debate (caused by the tabloids) which got the Ministry of Defence involved. (They asked them to comment.) Harry hasn't worn that uniform since.

However, the Marines are allied to the Royal Navy which does allow beards. So, as well as that now being Harry's senior ranking uniform, the Captain General of Marines uniform is likely to be less controversial. Unless Harry wants to shave! (And even then he doesn't hold an honorary rank in the Blues and Royals, and it's unusual nowadays for British vets to wear the uniform they served in for celebrations like weddings.)

Last edited:
Might he dispense with a uniform altogether? :huh: I have seen Daily Mail articles exploring that possibility. He could actually wear formal wear that would be smashing alongside Meghan. Why not?

Last edited:
Well, he might. The dress code mentions uniforms though, and as the army was a big part of Harry's life, and the Captain General patronage from his grandfather is very new, so my bet is on Harry wearing a uniform. A lot of the guests will probably be from the military too.

:previous: I think the sticking point would be with his beard. :huh: I think it's clear that he has made a choice regarding wearing a beard. He likes it. It's him. We can assume his future wife likes the beard, too. Why would he shave off such an important part of his self for the very day most important to him? And his wife? So unless he can wear a beard with the uniform.....

I think the beard is one deciding factor. He seems to be settled with the beard (and I personally hope he is, imho it suits (HA!) him really well.

IMO, Harry could wear his camouflage uniform from the Army and still rock it. He is definitely all military and has been geared to the military since he was a small boy.

From what I've found, there are several full dress uniforms for the Royal Marines so we may be surprised by which one he chooses to wear. I do think it'll be the Royal Marines that he'll represent as it is the highest position in the military that he holds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_Royal_Marines#Number_1_Full_Dress

I have two names (let's say Maria Elisabeth). I've always been Elisabeth. Throughout Scandinavia, it's very common. I understand from this discussion that it's not the same thing in the UK.

It's very common in UK. I work with genealogical data, 1-2 of 10 Britons go by middle name. There are a lot of announcements like this:
(Elizabeth) Anne died peacefully on 28th February, aged 90. Dearly loved wife, mother and grandmother.

In peerage books Meghan's name will appear as (Rachel) Meghan nee Markle.

Harry's also says day dress with hat

It makes sense to specify, since many at this wedding may nor know 'the form' for British formal Ladies dress. At the other Weddings the vast majority would just know a Hat was required

It's very common in UK. I work with genealogical data, 1-2 of 10 Britons go by middle name. There are a lot of announcements like this:
(Elizabeth) Anne died peacefully on 28th February, aged 90. Dearly loved wife, mother and grandmother.

In peerage books Meghan's name will appear as (Rachel) Meghan nee Markle.

very common and also in Ireland...

I also find it very common in families where the son is named after his father and rather than being called "Junior", a son of John Michael Smith may go through life known as Michael to differentiate him from his father.

Much, much better than even "Big John" and "Little John" which, to me is silly. :D

If I can figure out where to get fresh elderflowers (and I have no idea about the cordial) I'd like to make this cake...have it on the day of the wedding to celebrate!

LaRae

I think its kind of nice that the cake that is going to be served has been released to the public ahead of time. Although probably not intentional, I see it as another way Harry and Meghan are involving the public in their wedding day.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a rash of bakeries and gathering places and restaurants serving elderflower and lemon cake on the day of the wedding. With the recipe (although not *the* recipe) being published, I imagine a lot of people having wedding viewing parties will like to serve this cake perhaps with champagne to toast the newlyweds. :D

Assuming one can find the elderflowers and elderflower cordial! I'm pretty positive that is not gonna be for sale around here!! lol

LaRae

Meghan and Harry’s Royal Wedding Baker Shares her Cake Recipe

So you want to make a cake like Meghan's wedding cake...there ya go!

I really hope that is not the wedding cake. I quickly asked a few friends (two who are pastry chefs) who live in Britain and three came back saying they tried this cake before, they do not recommend- well they used harsher words. One of them was one of the chefs, I trust his palate.

About the actual recipe:
My eyes popped from shock when I read that the flowers were being mixed into the cake batter. Nope.

And buttercream is not made with egg yolk (I thought that was lemon curd until I read the recipe) The reason you do not use yolk it’s because yolk is a fat, so you are essentially mixing fat with fat. Hence egg whites is used.

Whatever. I truly hope there’s gonna be a second cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom