The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1781  
Old 02-04-2018, 11:17 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Inviting Obama while not inviting Trump would be a mistake of enormous proportions. Like it or not, this is not just a 'family' wedding, it's a public event. To invite Obama and not Trump would be seen as a (wholly unnecessary) snub towards the head of state of this country's most important ally.

Harry and Obama have met, what, a handful of times? They're not close friends from what I can see. Harry needs to understand he has a responsibility to the people who are covering the biggest part of the bill for this wedding - the British taxpayer who'll pay the security costs.

Like him or loathe him, Trump is the democratically elected leader of a nation with whom the UK has many, many important ties - economic, cultural, military. That should not be put at risk, even for the few years Trump may be president, so that Harry can have someone he's met a few times at his wedding. It shouldn't even cross his mind.
[...] no normal president of the United States would cause a diplomatic uproar because a former president was invited to a private wedding.

If Trump chooses to take offense and cause problems because he wasn’t invited to a wedding no one was obligated to invite him to- that is completely on Trump and not on Prince Harry.

Prince Harry should be able to invite whoever he would like, including the Obamas, as people he is friendly with.

Can anyone imagine say, George W. Bush causing a diplomatic uproar because Bill Clinton got invited to something prestigious and he didn’t? It would be unthinkably childish for most world leaders to behave that way.
__________________

  #1782  
Old 02-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I'd say that there's a 10% chance, and it would only happen if Harry did an incredible amount of arm-twisting. It would also have to involve an extremely creative seating plan. From what I have seen of St. George's, it doesn't lend itself to creative Royal Family seating plans. In addition, I think she would be asked to enter and exit the side entrance out of public view and not join everyone on the front steps.

There would be some rules in place for her and other unpredictable guests, like no cellphones and no tweeting or talking to the press about the event.
I'm not sure why folks are sure Sarah wouldn't be invited to Harry's wedding.

I understand why Sarah isn't invited to regular family events, such as Christmas or Easter. I also never thought that Sarah and William interacted much, so it was no surprise that she wasn't at his wedding.

But I thought Harry has spent several holidays with everyone in the York family, including Sarah. It's possible that he doesn't like her that much, but he seems to be comfortable with her. More importantly, Harry is very close to Eugenie and Beatrice.

The rumor is that Philip has been the one who doesn't want Sarah around, but he has to accept that she will be a major part of Beatrice's wedding. He wouldn't have to interact with her that much if she is a guest at Harry's wedding, she may be invited to the reception, but that would probably be it. I think Philip would be able to tolerate her for that long without a lot of arm twisting.
__________________

  #1783  
Old 02-04-2018, 11:51 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 11,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
But I thought Harry has spent several holidays with everyone in the York family, including Sarah. It's possible that he doesn't like her that much, but he seems to be comfortable with her. More importantly, Harry is very close to Eugenie and Beatrice.
If Harry is not close to Sarah as seems likely, why bother inviting her? Just because she is the ex-wife of an uncle? Or the mother of his cousins? Not goos enough reasons, IMO!

Do we think Carol and Michael Middleton are likely to be invited? What about James Middleton?
  #1784  
Old 02-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If Harry is not close to Sarah as seems likely, why bother inviting her? Just because she is the ex-wife of an uncle? Or the mother of his cousins? Not goos enough reasons, IMO!
I understand your point because I didn't explain myself well. When I said that I didn't know if he like her, I was leaving open the possibility because I just don't know. However, I find it hard to believe that he doesn't like Sarah since he has been on several vacations with her.

I tend to disagree that Harry shouldn't invite Sarah as a gesture to cousins he is close to. Weddings are a joyous time and, although the day is about the bride and groom, it is a lot more fun if each guest feels special. That is why so many people allow their friends to bring a guest (the plus one). There were several people at my wedding whom I didn't know, and I was fine with it. I also invited some relatives that I didn't care for that much because I didn't want anyone to feel left out.
  #1785  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,826
I think the British Ambassador to the United States will attend Harry and Meghan’s wedding. It’s not a state wedding, so Trump won’t be going. If The Prince of Wales was getting married and having a State Wedding, Trump or Mrs. Trump would be attending.

Remember it was Nancy Reagan that attended Charles and Diana’s wedding back in 81.

If the Obama’s go, it would be on a friendly invite. Not an official State invite. President Obama (sadly) isn’t the Head of State anymore.

I think the Middleton’s could be going.

Don’t know about Sarah, Duchess of York. Harry and Meghan could invite her if they want to.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #1786  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,951
I also agree with Petit Coat. It may not be a state (or semi-state) event, but it is definitely a public event, which probably will be even televised. And the guest list, whether we like it or not, has political implications. It is naive to think otherwise IMHO.
  #1787  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Why would one invite an Uncles LONG divorced wife to ones wedding...?
Depends on your relationship. Divorce ends a marriage, not a family. If it is a civil divorce, often relationships continue. Fergie wasn't simply their Uncle's wife, she was their Aunt. Unlike William, we do know he has had some contact with her over the years. He is very close to the York girls, and he has gone skiing with the Yorks in Switzerland over the years, which likely included Fergie.

If she isn't invited it may just be to keep the family peace. Its not simple matter of her being her ex's plus one, as in a royal wedding she couldn't sit with him.

Quote:
I think the British Ambassador to the United States will attend Harry and Meghan’s wedding. It’s not a state wedding, so Trump won’t be going. If The Prince of Wales was getting married and having a State Wedding, Trump or Mrs. Trump would be attending.
Why would the British ambassador be invited Ambassadors are as much political as a politician would be. Just because Meghan is American? As we have said its not even a semi state occasion. Not even commonwealth politicians will be invited unless a personal relationship with the couple.

Quote:
Do we think Carol and Michael Middleton are likely to be invited? What about James Middleton?
Pippa yes. We know they socialize a bit, and he went to her wedding, he even brought Meghan with him. I could see James possibly. I don't see Carole and Michael really. They are William's in laws, not his. I don't think there is any personal relationship with the couple.
  #1788  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,691
I have never seen any evidence that Harry is close to Sarah. She should just be content with going to her daughters wedding not her ex husbands nephew.
  #1789  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I have never seen any evidence that Harry is close to Sarah. She should just be content with going to her daughters wedding not her ex husbands nephew.
For all we know she is very content to only attend her daughter's wedding. Of course the media will try and make up drama. The Yorks needs to be made to look as bad as possible.

Have to remember Harry is not just Andrew's nephew. He was Fergie's nephew. Do you refer to your Uncle and his wife as Uncle X and his wife X, or Uncle X and Aunty X?

We don't know how things are in private and we never will. We do know that Harry has spent time with her over the years, when skiing with his cousins. Other then that, is pure speculation either way.

He and Cressida vacationed with the family, including Sarah, in 2013

Prince Harry and Cressida's ski retreat: Seven bedroom chalet boasts indoor swimming pool and costs £22,000 A WEEK | Daily Mail Online
  #1790  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 231
Could we please keep the Obama vs Trump invitation thing out of this thread .
  #1791  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Depends on your relationship. Divorce ends a marriage, not a family. If it is a civil divorce, often relationships continue. Fergie wasn't simply their Uncle's wife, she was their Aunt. Unlike William, we do know he has had some contact with her over the years. He is very close to the York girls, and he has gone skiing with the Yorks in Switzerland over the years, which likely included Fergie.

If she isn't invited it may just be to keep the family peace. Its not simple matter of her being her ex's plus one, as in a royal wedding she couldn't sit with him.



Why would the British ambassador be invited Ambassadors are as much political as a politician would be. Just because Meghan is American? As we have said its not even a semi state occasion. Not even commonwealth politicians will be invited unless a personal relationship with the couple.



Pippa yes. We know they socialize a bit, and he went to her wedding, he even brought Meghan with him. I could see James possibly. I don't see Carole and Michael really. They are William's in laws, not his. I don't think there is any personal relationship with the couple.
The Ambassador would be the U.S.A. representative at the wedding. The Ambassador was invited to the Cambridge’s wedding as well to represent the US.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #1792  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:36 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,691
Sarah is no longer his uncles wife and hasn't been for over 20yrs but I'm sure you knew that.
I did not intend to give the impression that I know how the relationship is behind closed doors; there are others who insist they know he has a relationship with Sarah. If Sarah hasn't been invited to any royal wedding in the last few decades why would this be any different.
@countessmeout Why do you think James Middleton will be invited?
  #1793  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:43 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,034
Correct me if I am wrong - but I don't think an official list of invitations to Royal Weddings are released by BP, KP or CH?

We know what we know about invites based on statements or leaks about them, and by observing who shows up.

So, a King might announce he was sending his wife in his place for a compelling reason. Or a State Department would announce an Ambassador was attending as Representative of a Nation (in the case of a State Wedding). Or a palace insider would say that so and so was not going to be invited. Or a member of the press would say a source said X was or was not invited.

In the case of a non-state wedding, I would guess there would be far fewer of the former two and far more of the last two?
__________________
"And the tabloid press will be a pain in the ass, as usual." - Royal Norway
  #1794  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 10,874
And why shouldn't he be? They know each other quite well, I suppose.
  #1795  
Old 02-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Ambassador would be the U.S.A. representative at the wedding. The Ambassador was invited to the Cambridge’s wedding as well to represent the US.
Because William's wedding was a semi-state occasion. There were heads of the commonwealth countries and other political figures. Harry's wedding is a Private wedding, not a semi state occasion. Big difference.

Quote:
Sarah is no longer his uncles wife and hasn't been for over 20yrs but I'm sure you knew that.
I did not intend to give the impression that I know how the relationship is behind closed doors; there are others who insist they know he has a relationship with Sarah. If Sarah hasn't been invited to any royal wedding in the last few decades why would this be any different.
@countessmeout Why do you think James Middleton will be invited?
I didn't say James Middleton would be invited. I was responding to two posts, one that asked about Carole and Mike, and one that brought up James. I said if James had some kind of relationship with Harry, he may be invited. That is a huge difference then saying he would be invited.

As for Sarah...... because different people have different relationships???? Edward likely saw no reason to invite his former sister in law. And Zara and Peter there is no evidence she had a relationship with them even when married, other then at the family events. We do know that Harry has had contact with Fergie over the years, holidaying with the family. That is what makes a possible difference, that even though they have been divorced for over 20 years, Fergie has had continued contact with Harry.
  #1796  
Old 02-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Leopoldine's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
[...] Either way the wedding is not a state occasion so there is no obligation to invite him. And the UK should not fear reprisals because of no invite.

As for security, from what I've read Trump is not well liked in the UK. Why risk protests marches at St. George's?
It's not the possibility of protests. HM is said to loathe the over-the-top security that comes with an American Presidential visit. It would be very disruptive to a wedding at Windsor Castle.

BP was said to be annoyed by the hundreds -yes, HUNDREDS of security personnel who accompanied Nancy Reagan to Prince Andrew's wedding in London. And that was just a first lady!
  #1797  
Old 02-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Leopoldine's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I have never seen any evidence that Harry is close to Sarah. She should just be content with going to her daughters wedding not her ex husbands nephew.
There's no evidence that they are close. Eugenie and Cressida were close when C was dating Harry. That's what I surmised from the now-famous ski trip.

And, I forgot about this until this morning ---When Sarah told Oprah on television that she was glad that both she and Diana were not at William's wedding, I believe that ruined any chance of any invitations to anything from William and Harry.
  #1798  
Old 02-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,826
The Queen will allow Harry and Meghan invite anyone they want to invite to the wedding. We won’t officially know who’s in the congregation until the day arrives.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #1799  
Old 02-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

I also agree with Petit Coat. It may not be a state (or semi-state) event, but it is definitely a public event, which probably will be even televised. And the guest list, whether we like it or not, has political implications. It is naive to think otherwise IMHO.
Totally disagree. No political implications simply because it is a public event. I've never heard that equation, especially for a wedding. It's like arguing that a very public wedding in a town must have the mayor invited, even the mayor of the big city several hundreds of miles away. Nope. Weddings are personal as is this one.

I'm not even sure why people think Obama would be invited. The two have met publicly at functions, but that does not then translate into friends enough for a wedding invite. Meghan's invite to some Canadian politicians makes more sense than does an Obama invite, though I could be wrong. Maybe there is a personal friendship between the two men. We'll certainly find out if an invitation happens.

Inviting Trump is not in the cards. Trump is not a personal friend of either Harry or Meghan. In fact, having Trump present may make it uncomfortable for Meghan (given Trump's blatantly racist views), and who does that to the bride on her wedding day? Nope. (Were it to happen, Meghan is a better woman than I am).
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #1800  
Old 02-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
The LAST thing needed on a Wedding day is the kind of internecine factionalism so characteristic of American politics [and the UK's too] atm.

Best if no-one from that World comes at all.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 3909 11-27-2017 05:10 AM




Popular Tags
#uae #abudhabirullingfamily 18th birthday abdullah ii albert prince consort all tags archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian austria braganza british royal family cadwallader camilla castile congo coronation crown jewels danish royal family denmark dubai expo duchess of kent duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex gemstones guzman hamdan bin ahmed henry viii history identifying india ingrid-alexandra japan japanese imperial family japan history jordan royal family king edward iii king henry iii king philippe king willem-alexander liechtenstein list of rulers louis mountbatten maria ii monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten nara period need help noble families norway crown princely couple official visit orleans-braganza pedro ii politics portugal prince andrew prince charles prince of wales prince of wales in jordan queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria samurai state visit st edward tokugawa uae


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises
×