The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Here’s why Trump would/should never be invited: he made uncomfortable overtures toward Harry’s mother while she was living; he made gross and crude remarks about her after her death. All well-documented, not just rumor. I don’t think Charles or William would have any interest in associating with the rude and boorish President, either.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Why should President Trump attend, let alone be invited?

With all due respect for Harry and Meghan, Harry is pretty far down the pecking order in regards to heads of states. He is not the Heir, he is not even the next heir, so IMO an attendance by the US ambassador would be sufficient, more than sufficient actually.

The same thing applies to foreign monarchs and other heads of states. Other royal families who attend with heirs and up would IMO be a pretty impressive attendance.
It's another matter with personal friends and relatives who happens to be royals.
But AFAIK there are not that many foreign royals among Harry's relations and even fewer personal friends.

On the other hand I know the BRF do things differently, like extending personal invitations to foreign RF's rather than general invitations, so we shall see.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Here’s why Trump would/should never be invited: he made uncomfortable overtures toward Harry’s mother while she was living; he made gross and crude remarks about her after her death. All well-documented, not just rumor. I don’t think Charles or William would have any interest in associating with the rude and boorish President, either.
Well, TRump will probably make an official visit to the UK in the summer and another full state visit in the fall, and William is likely to take part in both of them. So, I suppose he will have to associate with Mr Trump whether he likes it or not. His grandmother had to have dinner once with Ceausescu and Robert Mugabe; it is part of the job.

The main reason why I think Trump should not be invited is actually that,in addition to not being a friend of the bride and groom, his presence at the wedding would be distractive and, even worse, might prompt some people to show up outside to protest against him, which would be unfortunate on Harry and Meghan's wedding day. Having said that, Obama's attendance would also be distractive and would cause extra security problems.

I am pretty convinced though that Obama will not be invited either because inviting Obama without inviting Trump again would be made a big deal in the British and American press and would create complications for the British government.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Courtier

I don't think any U.S. president has attended a royal wedding, so I can't imagine it would happen this time.

Given the bride-to-be's comments about Trump, I doubt he'd attend even if he were invited.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Except for the aforementioned prince of Lesotho, I can't think of any other foreign royal with whom Harry has some kind of personal relation. Someone from the Greek RF maybe ?
I'd expect the Greek royals, at least a few of them. They are close to the BRF, and the Wales family. Constantine is William's godfather and William is to one of Pavlos' kids.

Then there is Prince Franz-Albrecht of Ottingen-Spielberg. Harry and Franz have hunted for years. Harry attended his wedding to Cleopatra. I would be surprised if the couple weren't on the list.

Other then that I don't know any royals that Harry has any real connection with. Unlike Edward and Sophie who mingle with them often, Harry sees them on state visits or Olympics but little else.

Well maybe some of the German relatives. They attend things like the queen's jubilee. Not sure they will be invited to Harry's wedding or not.

I think Eugenie might have a more impressive guest list, when it comes to royals/aristos. Her and Bea move in those circles far more, and attend weddings like Amedeo's.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 PM
Majesty

It would be nice to see some of the German relatives from Prince Philip's side attend the wedding. Do you think that any of the relatives from the Bowes-Lyons will attend? Do you think that any of the relatives from the Lascelles, Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood's side, will attend?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
It would be nice to see some of the German relatives from Prince Philip's side attend the wedding. Do you think that any of the relatives from the Bowes-Lyons will attend? Do you think that any of the relatives from the Lascelles, Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood's side, will attend?
We cant know for sure but basing it off the Cambridge wedding, I'm not sure we will see any. The only Bowes-Lyon family member at their was Margaret Rhodes (that I can find on a list), and she of course passed away. And no on the Lascalles. The Windsor invitations only extended as far as the ones we see on the balconies (kents and gloucesters) and their kids.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:48 PM
Member - in Memoriam

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I think we're going to see as far as the guest list goes is people from all walks of life and no group will be more represented than another. This, to me, comes from what I know of Harry and how he interacts with people. Those that associate with him whether it be the upper crust circle of friends, military comrades, friends made working with his charities and patronages or friends he's hunted and vacationed with all see Harry as a "regular chap" and easy to get along with. Its hard not to like Harry.

As I'm not as familiar with Meghan as I am with Harry, I do see that Meghan has made her own close circle of friends and seems to get along with co-workers and people she's been involved in things with.

I think both Harry and Meghan see people for who they are and not because of status or that they're royalty or aristocracy or well known. We're going to see this reflected in their wedding guest list. Family, friends, comrades in arms, people they have worked with over the years in various ways. The wedding is going to reflect Harry and Meghan most of all above anything the media or the government or Aunt Prudence's gossipy neighbor want to spin it into being.

I think the thing that impressed me the most is, at the time of engagement, they made it a specific point to state that they want to share all this with the public. It was, in its own way, Harry and Meghan's way of telling us to save the date as we're going to be included. I like that.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

One of the things that I'm looking forward is the music. Especially Meghan's entrance music. Maybe she will choose something like Mary or Kate. Or something more demure like Victoria.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it probably depends on what Pa says. But then again, Meghan may bring an American flair.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Trumpet Voluntary was what Princess Diana used for her wedding march as she walked down the aisle with her father Earl Spencer. Do you think that Meghan might use Trumpet Voluntary?
Old 01-31-2018, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
One of the things that I'm looking forward is the music. Especially Meghan's entrance music. Maybe she will choose something like Mary or Kate. Or something more demure like Victoria.
I get a laugh out of imagining Harry and Meghan go for the route of CP Philip and Sofia, have contemporary music choices and this Forum will collectively lose it's mind.

Seriously, there is so very much good music out there. Dad will help make excellent choices and we may just see something we do not expect. Hakuna Matata perhaps?

Edit: I just re-read this. To be clear, I suggested that song from the Lion King entirely because Harry has such a love for parts of the African Continent. I was not alluding to Meghan's African American heritage or in any way saying either Harry or Meghan are warthogs. It's just a party song that reminds me of Harry!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Some American Christian Hymns perhaps?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Some American Christian Hymns perhaps?
Hm, interesting idea. The wedding march is still super popular here. Maybe a gospel tune?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Good idea, just not for the processional or recessional.

AdmirerUS, fortunately only those of a classical religious music bent will have a collective breakdown. Unfortunately, the other half (plus those in the pews) could be tempted to shake their booties!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

BBC has decided to play up the American tv connection. They have named Julie Montagu to cover the royal wedding. Julie Montagu is on the Bravo show 'Ladies of London'. She is married to the heir of the Earl of Sandwich (so not only tv connection, but the American marrying into the upper crust of society thing).

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dis...-julie-montagu
Old 02-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Courtier

I'm wondering how likely it would be for Prince Andrew to bring Sarah as his plus one to Harry and Meghan's wedding??
Old 02-02-2018, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure she will even be there let alone as a plus 1.

LaRae
Old 02-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
I'm wondering how likely it would be for Prince Andrew to bring Sarah as his plus one to Harry and Meghan's wedding??
Well Sarah wasn't at Edward's wedding nor was he at Charles' wedding to Camilla so I doubt she'll be invited to Harry's.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
BBC has decided to play up the American tv connection. They have named Julie Montagu to cover the royal wedding. Julie Montagu is on the Bravo show 'Ladies of London'. She is married to the heir of the Earl of Sandwich (so not only tv connection, but the American marrying into the upper crust of society thing).

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Wedding Covered by Julie Montagu | The Daily Dish
Oh, goodness. Hopefully she'll be providing as little color as possible. I have to admit to enjoying Ladies of London, but I'm not sure she's one you want to let loose outside of that context. I mean, she mostly seems nice and well-intentioned, so at least there's that, but even within the world of reality TV she doesn't come off as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

That said, if they HAD to choose an American from that show I'm glad it was her. The other one is a can't-shut-up know-it-all!

Closed Thread