Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember William's chocolate biscuit cake. They had the palace chefs gave the recipe for , and then contracted out for the decorations and actually make it.
https://web.archive.org/web/2011033...11/March/29/Gallery---The-Royal-Wedding-Cakes

No mention of a fruitcake. :D

https://www.thespruce.com/the-royal-wedding-cakes-3490157

"Prince William and his bride, Kate Middleton, had two wedding cakes -- one very traditional, and the other a bit unusual. The couple asked local baker Fiona Cairns to create the main royal wedding cake, which -- as is customary in the United Kingdom -- was crafted in fruitcake.":flowers:

But just because William and Catherine had a English fruitcake doesn't mean that is the only acceptable wedding cake.

If I where KP I would release another announcement:

In the interest of our continued well being and mental fitness we hear your cries. The groom will have a traditional fruitcake created in the shape of a rugby ball. It is our hope that the masses will be comforted by a cake that they will not eat.

#cakegate

????

Who knew a sponge cake could cause such a rend in the fabric of British society?

LaRae

cause such a rend in the fabric of British society?

But we ARE a fractious Nation, especially when our traditions are questioned by outsiders..Anyone who knows anything about our psychology KNOWS that its fine for Sophie and Edward to disregard such things [because they are 'of us'], but not for Ms Markle or Prince Harry to do the same, because only one of them is 'us'. Its not rational or coherent,[or even defensible], it just IS..
Every Nation has its irrational peculiarities - ... and this is [but] one of ours...

#SuckItUpFruitCake*

Last edited by a moderator:
Point made, in the future anything that refers to MM's American heritage should just remain quiet. No need to tell the media. A hard lesson to learn is that you can't do what the other kids do and there are two rules, one for you and another for everyone else. I suspect Harry will be treated as an outsider because he fell in love with an outsider from now on.

But we ARE a fractious Nation, especially when our traditions are questioned by outsiders..Anyone who knows anything about our psychology KNOWS that its fine for Sophie and Edward to disregard such things [because they are 'of us'], but not for Ms Markle or Prince Harry to do the same, because only one of them is 'us'. Its not rational or coherent,[or even defensible], it just IS..
Every Nation has its irrational peculiarities Second Amendment *cough*... and this is one of ours...

#SuckItUpFruitCake*

Hell, he's lucky Meghan isn't making him jump the broom, as I made my husband do, much to the quizzical reaction of my in-laws.

Basically, Meghan can be and will be judged for whatever reason, when people decide to do so. There will be traditions and protocols she needs to follow, while no one else does and might not. And if she does all these traditions and protocols correctly, her sincerity will be questioned. For decades to come. Sounds charming. :cool:

Hell, he's lucky Meghan isn't making him jump the broom, as I made my husband do, much to the quizzical reaction of my in-laws.

OMG?! Can you imagine the frenzy?!

I get it that Meghan is marrying into the British Royal Family with all its traditions and expectations. No one is denying that...but I think its totally ludicrous to imagine that her wedding shouldn't reflect a little of her personality and/or traditions as well. Traditions, after all, have to start somewhere.

But I totally agree that she will never please the public 100%.

Also, other than security I don't believe the British taxpayer is paying for this wedding. Or am I incorrect. I don't believe they paid for William and Catherine's (again other than security). I don't believe that the wedding will generate a billion dollars in revenue but it will definitely generate enough revenue to pay for security.

They should save that for their own personal wedding.

They can have two weddings. One wedding devoid of any meaning for either of them but it keeps the media wolves at bay...feed them fruitcake. But have a personal private wedding for yourself.

Every Nation has its irrational peculiarities - ... and this is [but] one of ours...

#SuckItUpFruitCake*

So it's okay to be exclusionary to the point that an American woman marrying a Royal can't have sponge cake? Dude ya'll need to loosen up.

Good thing your forebearers weren't quite so xenophobic or you wouldn't of had Churchill.

LaRae

Last edited:
OMG?! Can you imagine the frenzy?!

I get it that Meghan is marrying into the British Royal Family with all its traditions and expectations. No one is denying that...but I think its totally ludicrous to imagine that her wedding shouldn't reflect a little of her personality and/or traditions as well. Traditions, after all, have to start somewhere.

But I totally agree that she will never please the public 100%.

Also, other than security I don't believe the British taxpayer is paying for this wedding. Or am I incorrect. I don't believe they paid for William and Catherine's (again other than security). I don't believe that the wedding will generate a billion dollars in revenue but it will definitely generate enough revenue to pay for security.

My understanding is the BRF is paying for all the costs of the wedding except the security which I saw was going to cost around 26 million. The revenue from the wedding is expected to bring in well over 1 billion dollars. I'd say the country will come out ahead money wise.

LaRae

Basically, Meghan can be and will be judged for whatever reason, when people decide to do so. There will be traditions and protocols she needs to follow, while no one else does and might not. And if she does all these traditions and protocols correctly, her sincerity will be questioned. For decades to come. Sounds charming. :cool:

She deserves a medal for dealing with that kind of crazy. No wonder Harry is so protective. She judged just for breathing. As said.... enjoy your cake Meghan.

I hope she does her rumored speech too. I mean if you going to be attacked anyways might as well do you. ?

My wife to be can choose whatever cake she want, but my grooms cake will be a Fudgy Brownie Cake. Just saying!

Yummmm fudgey brownie cake...with ice cream and hot fudge, whipped cream....

LaRae

Obviously there is going to be a Royal Wedding Cake. On what type of fine china will this cake be served? Also, at each royal wedding reception are the cake plates used from the same china service over the decades?

My wife to be can choose whatever cake she want, but my grooms cake will be a Fudgy Brownie Cake. Just saying!

Now that is what I am talking about!

They should have the cake that they want, and they will enjoy. Not something just because it's a tradition. Neither of them may like fruit cake they have to eat as well .

I really think some of us should lighten up and realise a lot of posts are decidedly tongue in cheek, mischievous or just a little sarcie.

It's the differences that are making this thread just as they are making the wedding. There are both UK and US traditions at play here and sometimes they clash a bit.

But the overriding truth is that this is a private wedding and Harry and Meghan are sharing the details with us because they want to, not because they have to. Not so very long ago the notion of a Groom's cake was a novelty, now it just is.

There are the rules of courtesy and conduct which are just plain good manners and those should resonate both sides of the Atlantic. In this Private Wedding, there is only one unbreakable rule, there will be no Bridal Bouquet Toss.

I just find it petty that anyone would begrudge the bride and groom (since I don't if it was a joint decision or not) the cake they want at THEIR wedding. And, yeah, yeah, they're royals, they represent the country. It's still petty.

She's going to presumably have a long and happy marriage to Harry (especially if she doesn't lurk online to read comments - since I doubt anyone she meets will wag a disapproving finger over her cake choice) and will represent the country over and over for the rest of her life. On her special day, people can sit back and let her eat the cake she wants.

I really think some of us should lighten up and realise a lot of posts are decidedly tongue in cheek, mischievous or just a little sarcie.

It's the differences that are making this thread just as they are making the wedding. There are both UK and US traditions at play here and sometimes they clash a bit.

But the overriding truth is that this is a private wedding and Harry and Meghan are sharing the details with us because they want to, not because they have to. Not so very long ago the notion of a Groom's cake was a novelty, now it just is.

There are the rules of courtesy and conduct which are just plain good manners and those should resonate both sides of the Atlantic. In this Private Wedding, there is only one unbreakable rule, there will be no Bridal Bouquet Toss.

Oh all they single royal and commoner women will be so disappointed. But there will still be a garter toss right :D

If I ever got married, the groom better have very pretty taste or there will wont be a traditional wedding cake. I am so anti wedding cake, or cake of any kind. I would want one of those cake tables, filled with cheese cake of every kind.

Never been to a wedding with groom's cake before. One wedding cake (or cupcakes), a dessert table, and often candy bar seems the norm here. I did cater waiting for weddings in some of my college days. The wedding cake almost never even got cut, nobody seems to eat it. Other then the top tier the couple cut. Cupcakes, or mostly fake cake became more popular.

:previous: Depends on the Megan and Harry. After all, unlike the bouquet, its job is done after the wedding! :whistling:

:previous: Depends on the Megan and Harry. After all, unlike the bouquet, its job is done after the wedding! :whistling:

The bouquet's job is certainly done after the ceremony. No laying it on the tomb. Besides a lot of brides have a second bouquet, a small 'toss' bouquet, so they don't destroy their proper bridal one, and can keep it.

I cant imagine the queen's face if Harry went under Meghan's skirts for the garter :whistling: Maybe that would wait until the evening party :lol:

I think that is beyond tacky when they do the garter thing.

LaRae

For the Moderating team, and others..

I have noticed one of my posts regarding the cake for Prince Harry's Wedding, has been edited, without my knowledge or consent. I absolutely understand a post being 'taken down' if deemed unacceptable by the moderators, but editing seems entirely different and 'new' ? Perhaps you could clarify this for me ?
If my words can be edited by people I don't know, without my KNOWLEDGE, I shall have to re-consider my membership of this Forum. Thank you for your help, and time. Best Regards, wyevale.

I think that is beyond tacky when they do the garter thing.

LaRae
Preferably done in private behind closed doors.

The public option seems to require everybody to be half cut and vulgar.

Ahhh but Philip isn't eligible to catch it. Its only single bachelors that fight for the garter to place it on the woman that catches the bouqet.

I agree its a silly thing to do and probably dates back when brides actually did wait for their wedding night to uncover anything above their ankles. Some silly rituals take a long time to die though.

I do think its possible that Meghan's bouquet will travel to Westminster Abbey and placed on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Kate's bouquet was placed there two days after the wedding. As much as Harry is involved with the military, I would really be surprised if they didn't follow this tradition.

After seeking out more information, Sophie's bouquet was also placed on the grave two days after their wedding. So being married at St. George's Chapel doesn't necessarily mean the tradition won't be upheld.

Last edited:
Ahhh but Philip isn't eligible to catch it. Its only single bachelors that fight for the garter to place it on the woman that catches the bouqet.

I know. That's what I meant.

Yeah I think Meghan's bouquet will also be placed on the grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom