Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic news. It will be a lovely wedding. No need to worry that the wedding won't be grand. Windsor is a perfect venue for any royal occassion. I'm happy that the Chapel is becoming more accosiated with weddings again and not only being the "Funeral and Burial chapel".

Sounds great that the couple is planning the ceremony themselves. Sounds like it will be a familiar wedding like the Wessex'es then ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the wedding will be at the pentecost weekend (Saturday 19:th May).....

St. George’s seems so lovely and I’m not that surprised considering his position in the line of succession and their personalities. Also, May is great so that everyone can be there (i.e. Kate) and it’s not such a crowded months in terms of events. It’ll still be televised and I never saw Edward and Sophie’s wedding so I’m not as familiar with how it looks or what weddings are like there. So much fun ahead! I love royal weddings!!

I think security and the disruption to traffic in London might have been a consideration to the decision--not the deciding factor but a consideration. Holding the wedding at Windsor is easier.

Yes I definitely think this was a consideration.

I'm sure the wedding itself will be beautiful. I actually like St. George's interior more than the Abbey - it's a beautiful church and will look so pretty with flowers, etc...

I'm just hoping we get to see the procession to the church with people lining the streets, etc...

I love that part. It feels like we only get that with London weddings.

Are we sure it's going to be televised? There are no camera's allowed in St George's Chapel.
To avoid mistakes or confusion: I'd love to watch their wedding on TV, it's just because of the general protocol there.

Edward and Sophie's wedding was televised. And all royal reporters are reporting that it will be televised, but hasn't worked out the logistics yet and have said the couple wishes the public to join them in this celebration.

How long do you think we'd need to queue up in advance to get a decent spot along the processional/recessional route?

Much depends on how many Americans make the journey, but 6am should secure a decent spot [lots of places near for Coffee's, Brekkies and 'comfort breaks']...

Last edited:
I think security and the disruption to traffic in London might have been a consideration to the decision--not the deciding factor but a consideration. Holding the wedding at Windsor is easier.

I think there were many factors taken into consideration. I'm sure both WA and St. George were possibilities from a purely protocol standpoint. But I do think KP saying Windsor is close to the couple's heart is most significant.

Much depends on how many Americans make the journey, but 6am should secure a decent spot [lots of places near for Coffee's Brekkies and 'comfort breaks']...

Are you "happy" with this venue, wyevale? Do you think it is appropriate? Since you were so determined about it before the announcement.

I like that it will be a May wedding. :flowers: That is a lovely month. At least I was right on the venue, which I think will be quite festive (Edward's and Sophie's wedding was at a somber time). I've never understood the interest in the 'balcony kiss' myself. I suppose they will do one on the steps but it is so unnecessary imo. ;)

St George's Chapel Windsor is indeed a grand place for Harry and Meghan to get married in, although my hopes were for Westminster Abbey or some other location.

The only issue I have (I've probably said it before) is that the scale and design of the interior of St George's limits camera angles and lighting, plus the space immediately outside the chapel does not allow for a large crowd to be assembled.

However, a few things could be done to create a more spectacular visual as we are used to for an Abbey wedding that I don't think we got with the 1999 and 2005 weddings :

1) Improve the lighting inside
2) Technology nowadays should allow smaller camera use inside and therefore better angles
3) The use of a carpet down the steps of the Chapel outside
4) The use of more cameras along the route from Windsor castle - that huge long drive through the park to Windsor that Sophie used could allow for a procession

Much depends on how many Americans make the journey, but 6am should secure a decent spot [lots of places near for Coffee's Brekkies and 'comfort breaks']...

Hmmmm... seriously considering this now...

Although I could still do my sleepover... not sure who I could convince to fly over with me, though one of my besties' brother married a Londoner... so maybe they'd all be open to it? Then we could go to Italy and my fave place (Villa d'Este) after!

I hope Harry receives the Garter before the wedding so that his banner can hang in the chapel at his wedding. (Although perhaps those aren't added until the installation. And Edward had to wait too. Sigh.)

I like that it will be a May wedding. :flowers: That is a lovely month. At least I was right on the venue, which I think will be quite festive (Edward's and Sophie's wedding was at a somber time). I've never understood the interest in the 'balcony kiss' myself. I suppose they will do one on the steps but it is so unnecessary imo. ;)

Speaking for myself - it's the drama of it. The glimpses behind the door - waiting for them to come out. The crowds filling the courtyard and traffic circle out front.... the throngs of people so far back like a sea... people cheering for them to kiss. Then they kiss and everyone goes nuts.

It's just such a spectacle.

Plus the flyover - though I don't know if anyone gets that but future monarchs.

It's just so grand and exciting.

I think I also just love the cheering - it gives me goosebumps.

I hope Harry receives the Garter before the wedding so that his banner can hang in the chapel at his wedding. (Although perhaps those aren't added until the installation. And Edward had to wait too. Sigh.)

It's unlikely he'll be getting it during the Queen's reign. William was an exception as it was the 1000th. His aunt and uncles didn't get theirs until they were in their 40s, I believe.

St George's Chapel Windsor is indeed a grand place for Harry and Meghan to get married in, although my hopes were for Westminster Abbey or some other location.

The only issue I have (I've probably said it before) is that the scale and design of the interior of St George's limits camera angles and lighting, plus the space immediately outside the chapel does not allow for a large crowd to be assembled.

However, a few things could be done to create a more spectacular visual as we are used to for an Abbey wedding that I don't think we got with the 1999 and 2005 weddings :

2) Technology nowadays should allow smaller camera use inside and therefore better angles
4) The use of more cameras along the route from Windsor castle - that huge long drive through the park to Windsor that Sophie used could allow for a procession

Agree in the Issues you have mentioned.

Is it possible to have foreign guest? I expect no (or not many) but still I am hoping.

I really hope they do these things - this would really help me feel better about Windsor - not that I'm the important one, lol - but I would love to see anything that would up the drama.

And can I just say - that visual of the park in front of Windsor Castle is simply one of the most epic things I have ever seen. I really hope they allow people to line that park on both sides and have cameras and crew there by the gate to watch people get in the cars on the way to the chapel.

*fingers crossed*

And thank you for this post - you've given me hope and a shred of my excitement back with your post and that gorgeous picture!

Last edited:
Having recently visited St. George's Chapel I am thrilled that this will be the site for their wedding. IMO it is far lovelier than WA and has more historic ties to the Windsors too.

I agree Jacknch that new technology will help the television crews improve upon the filming and coverage that we had with Edward and Sophie's 1999 Wedding.

I am 'happy' about it as the venue, Skippy.. it is a MASTERPIECE of Perpendicular Gothic Architecture [a subspecies of Gothic that is entirely English, and unknown elsewhere in the World].
It is light,airy, unencumbered with rather too many funeral monuments, and the Grooms Paternal Great-Grandparents all rest there, as well as some of our greatest Kings.

But Princess Alexandra a cousin of the Queen also had a Abbey Wedding. And she was much further back in the line of succession then place 6.

But much of the that was already pulled down in 2011 when the choose cars for the arrivals at the Abbey and not a big carriage procession like in 1986.

The Duke of Kent was also supposed to have married in the abbey but his wife to be wanted to marry in her home city of York. In fact even non royals have had big weddings there, Diana's parents spring to mind.

Windsor is lovely but I have been and it's rather small, it won't be able to accommodate the kind of crowds there would have been in London and no balcony is disappointing too.

Yes I think there will be some overseas guests from other royal families including non-reigning ones.

I am 'happy' about it as the venue, Skippy.. it is a MASTERPIECE of Perpendicular Gothic Architecture [a subspecies of Gothic that is entirely English, and unknown elsewhere in the World].
It is light,airy, unencumbered with rather too many funeral monuments, and the Grooms Paternal Great-Grandparents all rest there, as well as some of our greatest Kings.

I already thought you would be, since you indicated St George's as "appropriate" for Harry's position earlier on.

Thank you for answering my question.

Me too, they televise all the weddings.

But I have to admit a lot of the excitement and anticipation has gone out of the wedding (at least for me) now that I know it will be a more low-key event at Saint George's Chapel.

I'm sure it will be nice but I am really disappointed. :sad:

This is a very important church for the RF! It´s located in the Queen´ s favourite Palace, and the chapel where the service for the most prestigious and noble of all orders in England, the Garter, takes place.

In 1863 the eldest son of Queen Victoria, the future Edward VII, married Alexandra of Denmark in St. George´s chapel - so, the chapel, which is in its scale rather a cathedral than a chapel, is not a church where only weddings of minor important Royals take place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom