The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Moving right along here, I keep searching around looking for the wedding details to be released and stumbled across this article from the BBC. Nothing really new in the article but I love the huge picture of Harry and Meghan just gazing into each other's eyes smiling.

Prince Harry and Meghan: More royal wedding details expected - BBC News

Old 11-28-2017, 07:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I believe the Trudeaus , see my post above, will be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride, not as the Canadian PM and his wife.
Regardless of personal friendships, this will not be a state wedding and if any past or present heads of state from other countries were were to be invited, it would be controversial.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Harry's best man could be his older godson Frederick Pettifer (he will be 17 next year).
And one of the page boys - the younger one, Jasper Dyer (6 next year).
Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 AM
Aristocracy

I hope the happy couple get married at St George's Chapel, Windsor. It's what I would prefer personally and it avoids comparisons with W&C. As they don't need to invite heads of state and 'important' people, just friends and family, a capacity of 800 should be enough. William had to choose WA really, as the future king. I hope for a carriage ride like Edward and Sophie and a beautiful gown for the bride, and I hope little Princess Charlotte and Lady Louise will be bridesmaids as well as any little girls of Meghan's family and friends.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel View Post
I hope the happy couple get married at St George's Chapel, Windsor. It's what I would prefer personally and it avoids comparisons with W&C. As they don't need to invite heads of state and 'important' people, just friends and family, a capacity of 800 should be enough. William had to choose WA really, as the future king. I hope for a carriage ride like Edward and Sophie and a beautiful gown for the bride, and I hope little Princess Charlotte and Lady Louise will be bridesmaids as well as any little girls of Meghan's family and friends.
I'm on the seesaw as where I would like Harry to get married, and totally clueless as to where he would want to get married himself.
When I look at his personality I'd say St George's Chapel, when I look at his place in the succession (son and brother of future Kings) I'd say Westminster Abbey.

I hope we'll get the date and location soon!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Nobility

Keeping my fingers crossed for St. George's Chapel. The drama of the entrance with those steps is incredible. Great photos for the wedding party and all the other arrivals.

And...I would feel much better about the convenience and comfort for the Queen and Prince Phillip. The ultimate VIPs in attendance IMO.

We'll know soon!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I'm on the seesaw as where I would like Harry to get married, and totally clueless as to where he would want to get married himself.
When I look at his personality I'd say St George's Chapel, when I look at his place in the succession (son and brother of future Kings) I'd say Westminster Abbey.

I hope we'll get the date and location soon!
My thing is that I want the balcony kiss, and yes I know about the steps and carriage ride through Windsor, but we get the carriage ride through London too. And this really is the last Abbey wedding we’ll see the BRF have until George, Charlotte, and Cambridge #3. There can be other private St. George Chapel royal weddings before then as Peter Phillips also married there. We’ll probably get photos after the fact even if the York and Wessex children’s weddings likely won’t be televised. And if St.George for non-heir is the new way to go, then it’s likely only George would marry at the Abbey in the future. And that’s just sad for the Abbey.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed for St. George's Chapel. The drama of the entrance with those steps is incredible. Great photos for the wedding party and all the other arrivals.
Help me see this - because I just re-watched Edward and Sophie's arrivals and the only drama happened when Edward, Charles and Andrew walked up. And it was muted compared to the other BRF wedding arrivals. Other than that - absolute silence and no build up or anticipation like Andrew/Fergie, Charles/Di or William/Catherine. I just remember watching all of that and getting goosebumps in anticipation.

Now E&S's actual ceremony was beautiful and I loved it - but I just saw no drama to her arrival or any other arrivals. It felt like a tree falling in the forest with no one to hear it compared to the others.

Half the fun of watching those weddings was the procession and the pomp and circumstance of them. Watching the car waiting for Catherine to get in. People cheering madly as each senior BRF couple exited in a car/carriage for the Abbey/Cathedral.

There was none of that drama with E&S - even with the stairs there.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
My thing is that I want the balcony kiss, and yes I know about the steps and carriage ride through Windsor, but we get the carriage ride through London too. And this really is the last Abbey wedding we’ll see the BRF have until George, Charlotte, and Cambridge #3. There can be other private St. George Chapel royal weddings before then as Peter Phillips also married there. We’ll probably get photos after the fact even if the York and Wessex children’s weddings likely won’t be televised. And if St.George for non-heir is the new way to go, then it’s likely only George would marry at the Abbey in the future. And that’s just sad for the Abbey.
Those balcony kisses have become quite the treat, haven't they?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Regardless of personal friendships, this will not be a state wedding and if any past or present heads of state from other countries were were to be invited, it would be controversial.
Why would that be controversial? Politicians/heads of state are also people with friends, just like everyone else. As long as they are listed as friends of the couple (not representing their country), I see no problem with that.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Why would that be controversial? Politicians/heads of state are also people with friends, just like everyone else. As long as they are listed as friends of the couple (not representing their country), I see no problem with that.
Yes, and I’m sure statements will go out from the palace beforehand that they are attending as personal guests of the couple so there will be no confusion. It’d be awfully sad if you can’t invite friends that are dear to you just because which family you belong to and how successful they are.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Agreed.

Plus - the historic shot of Meghan and Harry kissing on the balcony? That's just gold.

I wonder if the BRF would give up the huge tourism boost to London by holding this wedding in Windsor. Because that would definitely reduce the tourists coming for the wedding. They'd still get the boost they normally get after royal weddings - but they wouldn't get the London boost.

I really wish I could be like everyone else who wants St. George's - but I'm gonna be so disappointed with that as a venue. There's no drama, no epic procession, and no pomp and circumstance. It could be any wedding and not the wedding of a Senior Royal marrying an American - and an African American biracial bride at that. The US has gone bonkers over this - it'd be a shame to just give up those tourism dollars.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm not LadyGlendower, but I think she means with 'drama' that the entrance with the steps of St George's (can) work heavily on the emotions (if you're sensitive to it).

And Edward and Sophie would never have had a wedding on the scale of Charles, Andrew and William. His personality (and Sophie's) isn't like that and neither was his position.

I do understand your feelings about British weddings in general, though.
And Edward and Sophie were expected to keep their day jobs and not devote their lives to representing the monarch where his siblings were all expected to do so. Even though that’s not how it worked out, that does make it a different situation than this. Meghan and Harry are expected to spend the rest of their lives being working royals as was made clear in yesterday’s interview.

Quote:
Those balcony kisses have become quite the treat, haven't they?
OMG, that’s the biggest thing for me. It’s one wonderful tradition that Charles and Diana started.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Besides, Justin Trudeau is not a Head of State.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
Half the fun of watching those weddings was the procession and the pomp and circumstance of them. Watching the car waiting for Catherine to get in. People cheering madly as each senior BRF couple exited in a car/carriage for the Abbey/Cathedral.

There was none of that drama with E&S - even with the stairs there.
Exactly!
That wedding (Edward and Sophie) seemed so anti-climactic.
I was so disappointed. Somehow it felt dreary.

And I really thought Peter Phillips' wedding wasn't at all nice (those green strapless dresses were so unflattering).

But then, these couples were not expected to be part of the Firm.

Harry and Meghan will be, so I am still holding out hope for Westminster Abbey., and all the pomp and ceremony!
It's the last chance for decades!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

THe more I think about it, the more I think the location wasn’t finalized when PoW made the announcement. Maybe hey were expecting to take the public temperature a bit? If it was decided at St. George, then he would’ve just said Windsor like he said London in the Cambridge announcement.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

The royal watchers are still saying the info is supposed to be released today so....coming up to 2 pm in London.

LaRae
Old 11-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Andrew had foreign royals at his wedding so why not Harry especially if it's at WA?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Courtier

Why am I so stressed/pressed about this? Snap out of it FM!

You would think it was my wedding, lol. Damn.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Harry's best man could be his older godson Frederick Pettifer (he will be 17 next year).
And one of the page boys - the younger one, Jasper Dyer (6 next year).
I don't see anyone but William as Harry's best man.

Closed Thread