The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness

About William being Harry's Best Man - do people think Harry already should have asked him by now?

That said, I wonder how it will be for Meghan. Will she have a Maid/Matron of Honor?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post

That said, I wonder how it will be for Meghan. Will she have a Maid/Matron of Honor?
I'm pretty sure they all do. It's matter of who or if she will have adult bridesmaid(s).

Old 01-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
It may be too small or, if it is true it has been renovated for Elizabeth and Philip as a gift it may not be suitable. However, had this been the case I would have thought Prince Philip would be living there rather than the farmhouse that he just ripped the kitchen out of.

ps: If "Royal Aides" were telling him that he'd just go ask Gran and if the place is unsuitable he would know since he loves the place.
We are told the couple chose Windsor to get married because that is where they nurtured their relationship and have grown fond of the place. I find it hard to believe they’d be denied the use of Frogmore house as a reception venue especially since Autumn & Peter Phillips were granted the use of it. Something isn’t adding up here.

Isn’t St George’s Hall based in London? If the couple are going to have to head all the way back to London for the wedding reception afterwards why not just have the whole ceremony there, too? Again, something doesn’t ring true.

Edit: just read it’s one of the stately rooms in Windsor castle.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it might depend on the size of the wedding?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

St Georges Hall is part of the State Apartments at Windsor Castle, which is where I'd expect the Reception to be held. Possibly drinks there, and the 'breakfast' in the Waterloo Chamber next door ?
The evening party/dancing could also be held there or in the highly atmospheric undercroft on the Ground floor, underneath St Georges Hall [pictured], which is 14th Century.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Another possibility is security. I think it'd be easier for security if they have this within Windsor Castle grounds rather than Frogmore house. I know Peter Phillips had his reception there, but this is a much more high profile wedding. Can anyone tell us where Sohpie and Edward's reception was held at?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Nobility

Yes, thanks. I’m not all that familiar with Windsor castle.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Another possibility is security. I think it'd be easier for security if they have this within Windsor Castle grounds rather than Frogmore house. I know Peter Phillips had his reception there, but this is a much more high profile wedding. Can anyone tell us where Sohpie and Edward's reception was held at?
According to this page, Wedding of Prince Edward of the United Kingdom and Sophie Rhys-Jones, it was held at the State Apartments of Windsor Castle.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Majesty

I think we might understand all this better when we have some more info.

When Sophie and Edward married at St George's, they followed the European tradition of having a late afternoon wedding so that, in effect, guests came in their party clothes. Reception in the State Apartments and dancing afterwards.

This makes logistical sense as accommodation locally is very limited. (where do 300-400 guests change for a party?)

This event is going to have larger numbers for both the church and reception/party.

So I think that they will follow the same pattern and have a late afternoon wedding.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I have read that they recently revamped the decor in certain rooms to incorporate favorite items from the BRF's living space on the HMS Britannia. Perhaps that's what they're talking about?

Something about the story that Harry and Meghan wanted the party at Frogmore but were turned down feels a little fishy to me, given that Peter and Autumn had theirs there and the fact that Frogmore basically only functions now as an event space. Although I guess you're right, there could have been an issue with capacity depending on the number of guests they intend to invite, or maybe a mismatch between what they wanted to have at the reception and what the house could accommodate.
The HMS Britania stuff was done some years ago, when the yacht was decommissioned.

I am not sure if they would have been 'denied' especially if the queen would have liked it. If not at Frogmore it seems more likely due to the size, or perhaps the queen thought the more formal rooms required. Autumn and Peter was a private wedding. Edward and Sophie, and Charles and Camilla, both used St George Hall for their wedding reception.

Quote:
The Prince of Wales has a Official Harpist.. so it is a possibility..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offici...rince_of_Wales
Here is a clip of the current one

Quote:
I think we might understand all this better when we have some more info.

When Sophie and Edward married at St George's, they followed the European tradition of having a late afternoon wedding so that, in effect, guests came in their party clothes. Reception in the State Apartments and dancing afterwards.

This makes logistical sense as accommodation locally is very limited. (where do 300-400 guests change for a party?)

This event is going to have larger numbers for both the church and reception/party.

So I think that they will follow the same pattern and have a late afternoon wedding.
Windsor castle certainly has a number of guest bedrooms that the queen may make available for many guests. The yorks and Wessexes have homes which many guests may use. Many of these guests will also have had to get hotel rooms as they are out of town guests, and can change there.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The HMS Britania stuff was done some years ago, when the yacht was decommissioned.

Windsor castle certainly has a number of guest bedrooms that the queen may make available for many guests. The yorks and Wessexes have homes which many guests may use. Many of these guests will also have had to get hotel rooms as they are out of town guests, and can change there.
True but she isn't going to have strangers staying at Windsor Castle - family and personal friends will take priority. IT has also been noted in the media that there are no rooms available in Windsor - a few B&B and that's it. Not only all the guests but the media as well. Windsor is a very small town.

In purely practical terms late wedding makes a lot of sense. Unless of course they surprise us all and decide on a smaller private wedding. Just a couple of hundred!

Quote:
About William being Harry's Best Man - do people think Harry already should have asked him by now?

I think he has asked him - this is just male banter and getting out of confirming any details.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I was surprised to see that at Edward's and Sophie's wedding the only 'guests' from the bride's side were Sophie's parents. Really surprised me. Might that be what Meghan opts for to keep it simple, with family/friends coming in the evening?

Now there is the suggestion of it being a late afternoon wedding a la the Wessex wedding. Will the Wessex wedding be a template? I think I heard/read that there were no hats at the Wessex wedding because it was late afternoon but I think Harry has said there would be hats. Also, Edward had both Charles and Andrew as his 'supporters'. Wonder if Harry will have Charles and William as his 'supporters'?

Clearly, it's going to be fun to watch to see what they do.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm still leaning toward them having a late morning wedding. Maybe early afternoon...

LaRae
Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

What will they do if it rains? Or is May a pretty safe month? Sophie had to contend with wind, I think.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I was surprised to see that at Edward's and Sophie's wedding the only 'guests' from the bride's side were Sophie's parents. Really surprised me. Might that be what Meghan opts for to keep it simple, with family/friends coming in the evening?

Now there is the suggestion of it being a late afternoon wedding a la the Wessex wedding. Will the Wessex wedding be a template? I think I heard/read that there were no hats at the Wessex wedding because it was late afternoon but I think Harry has said there would be hats. Also, Edward had both Charles and Andrew as his 'supporters'. Wonder if Harry will have Charles and William as his 'supporters'?

Clearly, it's going to be fun to watch to see what they do.
I am sorry but where did you get that Sophie only had 2 guests at the wedding

Family wise do you mean? Sophie doesn't come from a large family. Along with her parents, her brother and his wife were in attendance. So was her Uncle and godfather Thane Bettany. There was also plenty of friends of both of the couple in attendance at the wedding.

Edward had his brothers as his supporters. I don't see that as a suggestion Charles would be used by his son.

Quote:
True but she isn't going to have strangers staying at Windsor Castle - family and personal friends will take priority. IT has also been noted in the media that there are no rooms available in Windsor - a few B&B and that's it. Not only all the guests but the media as well. Windsor is a very small town.
A good chunk of the 800 plus guests that they can seat will be family/friends of the Windsor family. Uncle Andrew and Edward will likely be willing to house some as well.

Obviously the guests are staying some where, they aren't pitching tents or flying in day of wedding. Windsor may be small but there are 168 hotels near Windsor. It is quite possible many of the guests wont attend all the events. Like Will and Kate's, if there is three events, many wont attend the lunch the queen hosts. If their hotel room is further away, they will have time to go and change.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am sorry but where did you get that Sophie only had 2 guests at the wedding
Within the link in this post below by Skippy, it gives the guest list.

Quote:
According to this page, Wedding of Prince Edward of the United Kingdom and Sophie Rhys-Jones, it was held at the State Apartments of Windsor Castle.
Quote:
Family wise do you mean? Sophie doesn't come from a large family. Along with her parents, her brother and his wife were in attendance. So was her Uncle and godfather Thane Bettany. There was also plenty of friends of both of the couple in attendance at the wedding.
They are not listed in the guest list. Maybe these people attended the reception?

Quote:
Edward had his brothers as his supporters. I don't see that as a suggestion Charles would be used by his son.
Because I see variants on weddings take place all the time, it's an open question I have posed: might there be some differences from long held traditions/expectations?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think he has asked him - this is just male banter and getting out of confirming any details.
I actually think Harry didnít ask, simply because there is no need to. I can imagine that when William got engaged the brothers agreed to be each other's best men and that was that.

It was the same for me and my best friend, we decided to be wedding witnesses for each other when in high school and never discussed it when we got engaged many years later, it was just assumed by everyone.

And I agree, William would never spill the beans on anything wedding related. We can expect to see many evasive answers from senior royals the closer we get to May.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Within the link in this post below by Skippy, it gives the guest list.

They are not listed in the guest list. Maybe these people attended the reception?

Because I see variants on weddings take place all the time, it's an open question I have posed: might there be some differences from long held traditions/expectations?

As is noticeable, obviously the entire guest list (there aren't 550 people listed there) was not included. As often found, the 'non royal' guest list has limited members of the family listed. Sophie's brother and his wife, and her famous godfather were certainly mentioned in articles, as having attended which is no surprise. As would have been many of the adult friends the couple share together.

Of course there could be a break in any kind of tradition they choose. Edward choosing to use his brothers was certainly not a break, so that is a bad comparison.

To think that Edward's wedding will be a template simply based on wedding location is a bit of a stretch. Different couples, different preferences.

The man talking to Anne is Sophie's brother David.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/77/c2...8675ad5bd0.jpg
Old 01-11-2018, 12:14 AM
Royal Highness

Just because the church holds 800 people, do we know for sure that there is going to be 800 people at the wedding? I think is is wait and see here, that is just an *assumption* on our parts as to how many guests there are going to be regardless of who has how many family or friends to invite.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Just because the church holds 800 people, do we know for sure that there is going to be 800 people at the wedding? I think is is wait and see here, that is just an *assumption* on our parts as to how many guests there are going to be regardless of who has how many family or friends to invite.
We don't. Edward and Sophie invited 550 guests.