The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
So, I went and looked up what peonies mean as far as symbolism. This is what I found.

"The traditional floral symbol of China, the state flower of Indiana, and the 12th wedding anniversary flower, peonies are known as the flower of riches and honor. With their lush, full, rounded bloom, peonies embody romance and prosperity and are regarded as an omen of good fortune and a happy marriage."

There we have it. It would be a fitting flower for Meghan's bouquet. Throw in the myrtle and maybe some Forget-Me-Nots and we're all set. Maybe lavender peonies with the blue Forget-Me-Nots?

Kind of reminds me of the old Lavender Blue Dilly Dilly tune by Dinah Shore way back in the age of the dinosaur.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Majesty

Personally I'm looking forward to finding out some more details about how the couple are going to involve the public in some way. Are they going to come out with a meet the public invitation the evening before the wedding, a sort of meet and greet? Would they try that, or perhaps open up the Long Walk and have a longer carriage procession, with more royals involved.

This wedding is going to be massive, FA Cup or not, and I do wonder how Windsor is going to cope with a huge influx of tourists and international media descending on the residents there in mid May. Five and a half months to go!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

If my one brain cell actually has enough caffeine, I remember the night before William's wedding, he did go out among the people already gathered there for the wedding the next day. It would be neat if Harry did something like this too. Those people get in their viewing spots very early on and wait and wait and wait.

I was also very curious about the statements that allude to "involving the public" and "surprises". Just really whets the anticipation doesn't it?
Old 12-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Royal Highness

Curryong:
I think we will all be headed for a breakdown long before then all covered in peonies no less with tiny bluebells and least we forget my favorite flower, Lilacs for that is the smell of heaven....
Old 12-29-2017, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Let's try to be civilised and not get into arguments over what Meghan's favourite flower is. Several back and forth posts have been deleted - I think everyone has had their say on the matter now.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
If she did have one it will likely be Sarah's daughter. They are close and she used to post about her daughter a bit. I think the main issue would be if the parents are comfortable with the high level of attention but I think there is a greater chance her goddaughters will be in it more especially Ivy.
That's an interesting point and one I hadn't thought about before. Suits is not a major show that will be enough to garner mass attention of the actors and actresses as well as their families; so the casts' children, I can imagine, lead fairly "normal" lives and therefore won't be used to the attention Meghan is now getting.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope the bridesmaids and pageboys are from Meghan and Harry's friends and not just Harry.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
More like six or seven Instagram posts featuring peonies. One cryptically thanked someone else for giving them to her (that's the one we now know must have been a message to Harry early in their dating), but she'd previously posted about how she treated herself every week or so to a bouquet of flowers, and that the workers at the shop where she bought them sometimes set peonies aside for her because they knew they were her favorites.

How do you know for sure it was to thank him? Or that the flowers were from him?
Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

I think Harry went with William when he did his pre-wedding walkabout the night before the big day. Be cool if William now joined Harry for his turn as a groom.

I can never understand how people do it with staking out a place the night before a big event, be it a royal wedding or the release of a new iPhone! What do they do about calls of nature? I've got a really weak bladder, probably because of anorexia as a teen, and even if I managed to go all night without spending a penny, I would probably be so desperate by the time of the wedding that I wouldn't enjoy it one bit, too busy keeping my legs crossed! Or do they put out portaloos? (An ex-colleague famously told me she had camped out for Charles and Diana's wedding).
Old 12-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

I don't know if it is true about Harry wanting to invite the Obamas to his wedding but it is a bad idea because of the way the press will politicize it. Since it is not a state wedding I think he should play it safe and not invite any politician except those that maybe he "has to". I know many will disagree. This is just how I feel.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Is there precedent for ex-politicians attending royal weddings as personal guests of the bride or groom? Obama is a public figure, but he's also a private citizen.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

When talking in this vein, we have to remember too that the "politician" angle would also include Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie who would be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

If he wants to invite the Obama's as personal friends he should be allowed to.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Trudeaus are another matter all together. They are currently serving. To invite one PM of a commonwealth country and not others would raise questions. Even if Meghan and Sophie are friends. Can remember the huge controversry of not inviting Blair and Brown not being invited to the Cambridge wedding. People ignored the fact that it was not a state occasion, so the former ministers weren't invited. Thatcher and those former ones invited were invited because they were members of the order of the garter (all members were invited).

Obama is a private citizen and a former president not current. And his and Michelle's personal relationship with Harry is well known.

Quote:
Is there precedent for ex-politicians attending royal weddings as personal guests of the bride or groom? Obama is a public figure, but he's also a private citizen.
Not that I know of, but then again how many royals have made friends with former heads of state?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When talking in this vein, we have to remember too that the "politician" angle would also include Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie who would be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride.
There is one difference though, Barack Obama is no longer an official representative of the U.S. Justin Trudeau is still the Canadian Prime Minister. Even is the Trudeaus are personal friends of Meghan's, it could be an issue,
Old 12-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Personally, I hope that Harry and Meghan go ahead and invite whomever they want to. This is a personal wedding between two people starting their lives together. Its not an "official" engagement nor is it a matter of state or even a semi-state wedding.

If you were in their place and making up the guest list and it was your wedding, would you honestly not invite someone that is a personal friend just because the media *might* politicize it. Lets fact it. The media will make a mountain out of a molehill with any little detail they can find. Its what they do.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:09 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Is Meghan actually friends with the Trudeaus, though?

I know we’ve been told that they’re friends a lot in the media, but I’ve never actually seen anything to support the statement. It seems to be more of a “they’ve been seen at the same events and are mutually connected by Jessica Mulroney” than anything else.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that IF the Trudeaus are invited only Sophie will attend. It solves the problem of any media issues.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

I know we’ve been told that they’re friends a lot in the media, but I’ve never actually seen anything to support the statement. It seems to be more of a “they’ve been seen at the same events and are mutually connected by Jessica Mulroney” than anything else.
I think Meghan is friendly with Sophie. She has posted candid shots on her IG with her and Jessica. One was of them three going to yoga together. I don't think they close friends or anything but who knows. That is my impression. I can see them getting invites for sure though if it doesn't conflict with something.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

She has posted candids of Sophie, Jessica and herself in the past. There was also a photo of her and Justin at One Young World and the caption said they talked about social issues, politics, and life and she tagged Ben, Jessica, and Sophie to tell them they were missed. So I do think she’s good friends with the Trudeaus as well.

Closed Thread