The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Each wedding is unique to the two people getting married and because a first wedding was done a certain way, it doesn't follow that a second wedding will be reflective of the first.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do and I think Meghan would be thrilled to have a proper British royal traditional wedding. In doing so, she's honoring the man she is marrying, his family, his country and her own adopted country. She is also 50% of this wedding and, of course, there will be things she'll like to do with it that uniquely reflect her and there are so many ways she can go about doing this from the dress to the flowers to the music to quite a few other things.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Aristocracy

All of this over a possible rehearsal dinner? Literally just a few folks getting together the night before the wedding? What if they don't call it a rehearsal dinner? Is that the hang up? Did Zara and Mike Tindall offend the British public by having a cocktail party on the Royal yacht the night before their wedding? I'm missing the big deal. Couples incorporate traditions from both families and cultures all the time. Even royal families.

Look I don't think anyone is going to be confused about this being a British Royal wedding. Basically everything about it will be just that. And it isn't just about Meghan showing her commitment to her new husband/family/country. That's a big part of it, but Harry is also committing to her. And I think he'd want to show that he also honors her heritage. Especially since she is about to be giving so much of it up. This isn't a one way street.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Courtier

The only reason I don't think the Royal Family has ever bothered with rehearsal dinners is that it would come with a degree of formality that would make it a little impractical and also, it's not as if they don't know the form or how to behave. It would be an odd thing. I would expect some subtle tribute to Meghan's heritage in the form of her bouquet, coat of arms or dress but a rehearsal dinner seems unlikely. Especially as Lady Anson is probably making the finishing touches to her party at the Goring as we speak, which is pretty much as close to a rehearsal dinner as the Royal Family gets.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
The only reason I don't think the Royal Family has ever bothered with rehearsal dinners is that it would come with a degree of formality that would make it a little impractical and also, it's not as if they don't know the form or how to behave. It would be an odd thing. I would expect some subtle tribute to Meghan's heritage in the form of her bouquet, coat of arms or dress but a rehearsal dinner seems unlikely. Especially as Lady Anson is probably making the finishing touches to her party at the Goring as we speak, which is pretty much as close to a rehearsal dinner as the Royal Family gets.
Speaking of, what is the deal with the coat of arms? Will Meghan and Harry get one together after they marry? What is the purpose of the coat of arms?
Old 12-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Speaking of, what is the deal with the coat of arms? Will Meghan and Harry get one together after they marry? What is the purpose of the coat of arms?
In the case of the Duchess of Cambridge, a grant of arms was made to Michael Middleton which then enabled the Duchess to use the Coat of Arms before her marriage. After their wedding, the Coat of Arms was "impaled" with that of William's. In Meghan's case, I assume the grant will be made to her personally rather than to her father and she can then use it in her own right before she becomes Harry's wife. After that, it'll be impaled with that of Prince Harry's.

The purpose....well, that's debatable. Years ago, Coats of Arms were pretty vital because they were used to wax seal documents as prove of their authorship and validity. Today, it's still used sometimes as an identifier but mostly it's just a nice thing to have. As the years go by, things will be added to Meghan's coat of arms and it gives a pictorial narrative of her achievements and her place within the Royal Family. But practically? It doesn't really have much of a use unless you're the Pope.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Maybe for the same reason she picked the Irish Guards for William before his wedding. She likes the uniforms. Especially if they have red in them.

(ducks and runs for cover)
She is still in charge!!!
Old 12-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Courtier

Interesting. Googling reveals that the United States has a coat of arms, known as the Great Seal. Also, all the states of the Union! I had no idea.

I wonder if Meghan's would incorporate a grizzly bear.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Interesting. Googling reveals that the United States has a coat of arms, known as the Great Seal. Also, all the states of the Union! I had no idea.

I wonder if Meghan's would incorporate a grizzly bear.
I think it will. And so it should! It would be nice to see her American heritage reflected in her Coat of Arms. Especially for her future children.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think it will. And so it should! It would be nice to see her American heritage reflected in her Coat of Arms. Especially for her future children.
Her future children will inherit their father's Coat of Arms.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for that Gaudete as I had no idea! I also hope they incorporate the grizzly. It would be a nice homage to her home country as she takes this new journey on.

As for her father, I do wonder how the Markle side will play into this. She is clearly not very close to any of them and while she loves her dad there is clearly some distance there. It doesn't appear to be the same kind of relationship with her mother who we know she is extremely close with.

Will be interesting.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Thanks for that Gaudete as I had no idea! I also hope they incorporate the grizzly. It would be a nice homage to her home country as she takes this new journey on.

As for her father, I do wonder how the Markle side will play into this. She is clearly not very close to any of them and while she loves her dad there is clearly some distance there. It doesn't appear to be the same kind of relationship with her mother who we know she is extremely close with.

Will be interesting.
I may be wrong on this but American citizens can't accept honours without certain permissions can they? I wonder if a COA would be considered an honour? But then if it was, it doesn't just put Meghan's father out of the running but Meghan herself. Come to that, would she be able to accept any honour from the Queen before becoming a British citizen? It may be regarded as honorary until she has made the change as it were. One to think about!

Quote:
Her future children will inherit their father's Coat of Arms.
Of course, I meant more that Meghan could perhaps use it to explain her position and where she came from
Old 12-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I may be wrong on this but American citizens can't accept honours without certain permissions can they? I wonder if a COA would be considered an honour? But then if it was, it doesn't just put Meghan's father out of the running but Meghan herself. Come to that, would she be able to accept any honour from the Queen before becoming a British citizen? It may be regarded as honorary until she has made the change as it were. One to think about!

Of course, I meant more that Meghan could perhaps use it to explain her position and where she came from
The rules are that the United States doesn't grant titles of nobility nor can people holding office, without the consent of Congress, accept any title (or certain other "gifts.")
And a person holding a US passport would generally not have a title of nobility recognized legally.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The rules are that the United States doesn't grant titles of nobility nor can people holding office, without the consent of Congress, accept any title (or certain other "gifts.")
And a person holding a US passport would generally not have a title of nobility recognized legally.
Thanks for the clarification here, it was something I had heard about but wasn't too clear on.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Courtier

But Google says the prince's COA do incorporate elements of their mother's COA.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty...1/harry-crest/

If they do give Meghan a COA, I suppose they could go with a bald eagle, but that is so generic and the US is a huge country. The eagle might be too patriotic, and seeing as we fought a couple of wars against England, I'm guessing inappropriate.

I assume some honors and so forth might be honorary until she becomes a citizen, no? I'm sure there are a number of local customs she will have to abide by that for most Americans would be unthinkable. Just typing the word "curtsy" brings about a visceral negative response.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Majesty

Will wedding soup be served at the wedding reception?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wouldn't think so..unless Harry/Meghan want it specifically.

LaRae
Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But Google says the prince's COA do incorporate elements of their mother's COA.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty...1/harry-crest/

If they do give Meghan a COA, I suppose they could go with a bald eagle, but that is so generic and the US is a huge country. The eagle might be too patriotic, and seeing as we fought a couple of wars against England, I'm guessing inappropriate.

I assume some honors and so forth might be honorary until she becomes a citizen, no? I'm sure there are a number of local customs she will have to abide by that for most Americans would be unthinkable. Just typing the word "curtsy" brings about a visceral negative response.
Special provision was made for William and Harry to allow them to honour their mother in their COAs. But it isn't usual. I think you're right though, I would assume if they do take any inspiration from American heraldry in Meghan's COA it'll be localised to the state rather than the entire US.

I think it's probably likely that if Meghan does get any honours from the Queen before she's a citizen (given the time frame it would be a little unlikely in my opinion), they'll be recognised here regardless and that's really what counts. Kate hasn't got any honours yet and she's been married for seven years. Given that it takes around 3-5 years to gain citizenship (or at least to begin the process), I don't think there'd be a clash. But anything is possible. HM likes to surprise us sometimes.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Generally a rehearsal dinner in the US is a meal that the immediate families of the bride & groom, their wedding party (and spouses/significant others) and sometimes certain out of town guests attend after the wedding rehearsal. Usually this is held the evening before the wedding and traditionally paid for by the groom's family. This is an opportunity to socialize with this group before the wedding.
Wedding rehearsals for Royal weddings are usually not the evening before the wedding so the original purpose of a rehearsal dinner doesn't exist. Meghan & Harry might have a gathering or a party but probably not a traditional rehearsal dinner.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Everyone has to eat- so what is the problem with sharing a meal after the rehearsal?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Generally a rehearsal dinner in the US is a meal that the immediate families of the bride & groom, their wedding party (and spouses/significant others) and sometimes certain out of town guests attend after the wedding rehearsal. Usually this is held the evening before the wedding and traditionally paid for by the groom's family. This is an opportunity to socialize with this group before the wedding.
Wedding rehearsals for Royal weddings are usually not the evening before the wedding so the original purpose of a rehearsal dinner doesn't exist. Meghan & Harry might have a gathering or a party but probably not a traditional rehearsal dinner.
Yes and when the evening is done the marrieds to be go off with the separate parties until they see each other at the wedding. Clearly something of the same will be happening with them it just not what we call the "rehearsal dinner" which is fine. They will do whatever works for them.

Closed Thread