The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1021  
Old 12-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,735
Each wedding is unique to the two people getting married and because a first wedding was done a certain way, it doesn't follow that a second wedding will be reflective of the first.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do and I think Meghan would be thrilled to have a proper British royal traditional wedding. In doing so, she's honoring the man she is marrying, his family, his country and her own adopted country. She is also 50% of this wedding and, of course, there will be things she'll like to do with it that uniquely reflect her and there are so many ways she can go about doing this from the dress to the flowers to the music to quite a few other things.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1022  
Old 12-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Zionsville, United States
Posts: 213
All of this over a possible rehearsal dinner? Literally just a few folks getting together the night before the wedding? What if they don't call it a rehearsal dinner? Is that the hang up? Did Zara and Mike Tindall offend the British public by having a cocktail party on the Royal yacht the night before their wedding? I'm missing the big deal. Couples incorporate traditions from both families and cultures all the time. Even royal families.

Look I don't think anyone is going to be confused about this being a British Royal wedding. Basically everything about it will be just that. And it isn't just about Meghan showing her commitment to her new husband/family/country. That's a big part of it, but Harry is also committing to her. And I think he'd want to show that he also honors her heritage. Especially since she is about to be giving so much of it up. This isn't a one way street.
__________________

  #1023  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
The only reason I don't think the Royal Family has ever bothered with rehearsal dinners is that it would come with a degree of formality that would make it a little impractical and also, it's not as if they don't know the form or how to behave. It would be an odd thing. I would expect some subtle tribute to Meghan's heritage in the form of her bouquet, coat of arms or dress but a rehearsal dinner seems unlikely. Especially as Lady Anson is probably making the finishing touches to her party at the Goring as we speak, which is pretty much as close to a rehearsal dinner as the Royal Family gets.
  #1024  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
The only reason I don't think the Royal Family has ever bothered with rehearsal dinners is that it would come with a degree of formality that would make it a little impractical and also, it's not as if they don't know the form or how to behave. It would be an odd thing. I would expect some subtle tribute to Meghan's heritage in the form of her bouquet, coat of arms or dress but a rehearsal dinner seems unlikely. Especially as Lady Anson is probably making the finishing touches to her party at the Goring as we speak, which is pretty much as close to a rehearsal dinner as the Royal Family gets.
Speaking of, what is the deal with the coat of arms? Will Meghan and Harry get one together after they marry? What is the purpose of the coat of arms?
  #1025  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Speaking of, what is the deal with the coat of arms? Will Meghan and Harry get one together after they marry? What is the purpose of the coat of arms?
In the case of the Duchess of Cambridge, a grant of arms was made to Michael Middleton which then enabled the Duchess to use the Coat of Arms before her marriage. After their wedding, the Coat of Arms was "impaled" with that of William's. In Meghan's case, I assume the grant will be made to her personally rather than to her father and she can then use it in her own right before she becomes Harry's wife. After that, it'll be impaled with that of Prince Harry's.

The purpose....well, that's debatable. Years ago, Coats of Arms were pretty vital because they were used to wax seal documents as prove of their authorship and validity. Today, it's still used sometimes as an identifier but mostly it's just a nice thing to have. As the years go by, things will be added to Meghan's coat of arms and it gives a pictorial narrative of her achievements and her place within the Royal Family. But practically? It doesn't really have much of a use unless you're the Pope.
  #1026  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Maybe for the same reason she picked the Irish Guards for William before his wedding. She likes the uniforms. Especially if they have red in them.

(ducks and runs for cover)
She is still in charge!!!
  #1027  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 846
Interesting. Googling reveals that the United States has a coat of arms, known as the Great Seal. Also, all the states of the Union! I had no idea.

I wonder if Meghan's would incorporate a grizzly bear.
  #1028  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Interesting. Googling reveals that the United States has a coat of arms, known as the Great Seal. Also, all the states of the Union! I had no idea.

I wonder if Meghan's would incorporate a grizzly bear.
I think it will. And so it should! It would be nice to see her American heritage reflected in her Coat of Arms. Especially for her future children.
  #1029  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NN, Lithuania
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
I think it will. And so it should! It would be nice to see her American heritage reflected in her Coat of Arms. Especially for her future children.
Her future children will inherit their father's Coat of Arms.
  #1030  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:12 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,757
Thanks for that Gaudete as I had no idea! I also hope they incorporate the grizzly. It would be a nice homage to her home country as she takes this new journey on.

As for her father, I do wonder how the Markle side will play into this. She is clearly not very close to any of them and while she loves her dad there is clearly some distance there. It doesn't appear to be the same kind of relationship with her mother who we know she is extremely close with.

Will be interesting.
  #1031  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Thanks for that Gaudete as I had no idea! I also hope they incorporate the grizzly. It would be a nice homage to her home country as she takes this new journey on.

As for her father, I do wonder how the Markle side will play into this. She is clearly not very close to any of them and while she loves her dad there is clearly some distance there. It doesn't appear to be the same kind of relationship with her mother who we know she is extremely close with.

Will be interesting.
I may be wrong on this but American citizens can't accept honours without certain permissions can they? I wonder if a COA would be considered an honour? But then if it was, it doesn't just put Meghan's father out of the running but Meghan herself. Come to that, would she be able to accept any honour from the Queen before becoming a British citizen? It may be regarded as honorary until she has made the change as it were. One to think about!

Quote:
Her future children will inherit their father's Coat of Arms.
Of course, I meant more that Meghan could perhaps use it to explain her position and where she came from
  #1032  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:32 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
I may be wrong on this but American citizens can't accept honours without certain permissions can they? I wonder if a COA would be considered an honour? But then if it was, it doesn't just put Meghan's father out of the running but Meghan herself. Come to that, would she be able to accept any honour from the Queen before becoming a British citizen? It may be regarded as honorary until she has made the change as it were. One to think about!



Of course, I meant more that Meghan could perhaps use it to explain her position and where she came from
The rules are that the United States doesn't grant titles of nobility nor can people holding office, without the consent of Congress, accept any title (or certain other "gifts.")
And a person holding a US passport would generally not have a title of nobility recognized legally.
  #1033  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The rules are that the United States doesn't grant titles of nobility nor can people holding office, without the consent of Congress, accept any title (or certain other "gifts.")
And a person holding a US passport would generally not have a title of nobility recognized legally.
Thanks for the clarification here, it was something I had heard about but wasn't too clear on.
  #1034  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 846
But Google says the prince's COA do incorporate elements of their mother's COA.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty...1/harry-crest/

If they do give Meghan a COA, I suppose they could go with a bald eagle, but that is so generic and the US is a huge country. The eagle might be too patriotic, and seeing as we fought a couple of wars against England, I'm guessing inappropriate.

I assume some honors and so forth might be honorary until she becomes a citizen, no? I'm sure there are a number of local customs she will have to abide by that for most Americans would be unthinkable. Just typing the word "curtsy" brings about a visceral negative response.
  #1035  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,602
Will wedding soup be served at the wedding reception?
  #1036  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
I wouldn't think so..unless Harry/Meghan want it specifically.


LaRae
  #1037  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
But Google says the prince's COA do incorporate elements of their mother's COA.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty...1/harry-crest/

If they do give Meghan a COA, I suppose they could go with a bald eagle, but that is so generic and the US is a huge country. The eagle might be too patriotic, and seeing as we fought a couple of wars against England, I'm guessing inappropriate.

I assume some honors and so forth might be honorary until she becomes a citizen, no? I'm sure there are a number of local customs she will have to abide by that for most Americans would be unthinkable. Just typing the word "curtsy" brings about a visceral negative response.
Special provision was made for William and Harry to allow them to honour their mother in their COAs. But it isn't usual. I think you're right though, I would assume if they do take any inspiration from American heraldry in Meghan's COA it'll be localised to the state rather than the entire US.

I think it's probably likely that if Meghan does get any honours from the Queen before she's a citizen (given the time frame it would be a little unlikely in my opinion), they'll be recognised here regardless and that's really what counts. Kate hasn't got any honours yet and she's been married for seven years. Given that it takes around 3-5 years to gain citizenship (or at least to begin the process), I don't think there'd be a clash. But anything is possible. HM likes to surprise us sometimes.
  #1038  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Generally a rehearsal dinner in the US is a meal that the immediate families of the bride & groom, their wedding party (and spouses/significant others) and sometimes certain out of town guests attend after the wedding rehearsal. Usually this is held the evening before the wedding and traditionally paid for by the groom's family. This is an opportunity to socialize with this group before the wedding.
Wedding rehearsals for Royal weddings are usually not the evening before the wedding so the original purpose of a rehearsal dinner doesn't exist. Meghan & Harry might have a gathering or a party but probably not a traditional rehearsal dinner.
  #1039  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,947
Everyone has to eat- so what is the problem with sharing a meal after the rehearsal?
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
  #1040  
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Generally a rehearsal dinner in the US is a meal that the immediate families of the bride & groom, their wedding party (and spouses/significant others) and sometimes certain out of town guests attend after the wedding rehearsal. Usually this is held the evening before the wedding and traditionally paid for by the groom's family. This is an opportunity to socialize with this group before the wedding.
Wedding rehearsals for Royal weddings are usually not the evening before the wedding so the original purpose of a rehearsal dinner doesn't exist. Meghan & Harry might have a gathering or a party but probably not a traditional rehearsal dinner.
Yes and when the evening is done the marrieds to be go off with the separate parties until they see each other at the wedding. Clearly something of the same will be happening with them it just not what we call the "rehearsal dinner" which is fine. They will do whatever works for them.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 3909 11-27-2017 05:10 AM




Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baptism biography british british royal family british royals camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists politics portugal prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech st edward swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×