The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
May 26 would not have been good because that is Memorial Day weekend in the US. Memorial Day is not just barbeques and the start of the summer season, it's honoring America's war dead. It would not have gone over well in certain quarters in the US, and there was the danger of having the wedding politicized.
Yeah, not really an issue. They're getting married in England. And even if it were a consideration (which IMO it is not) Memorial Day observations do not go on the whole weekend-just Monday.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Courtier

People accuse me of getting 'worked up' over a football game and so clearly chose to misread my post. Some fellow fans of this couple need to grow a thicker skin.

The football is not really my issue. Choosing this date makes the security task of police and the security services unnecessarily more difficult and complicated. It could've been held on just about any other Saturday in March or July or August! It will be much more expensive for the taxpayer also because police will have to be drafted in, many of whom probably on their days off, to ensure the right level of protection. As an example, unlike in most other countries, only a tiny % of English police officers are armed. There will need to be armed officers at both these major events which is likely to mean having to pay these officers overtime to get them in on their days off.

This was so easily avoided as to be startling in its sheer stupidity! The RF pay people to be smarter than this surely!

Also, as an aside the FA Cup Final is not just any football game, it is the centrepiece event in the most popular (by far) sport in the country, the one described as 'the national sport'. It holds a place in the psyche of millions of British people that is quite unlike any other sporting event. It is as British as Trooping the Colour. There is a reason Prince William pretty much never misses the final - it is a hugely symbolic national event, many times more important to the British people that the BAFTA awards for example.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Lord, I never seen so much fuss over a wedding date.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Serene Highness

March would've been 3-4 months from the announcement, and really tough on the timeline to plan a wedding.

July and August are out of the 6 month time limit of Meghan's fiancé visa.

And telling 'fans of this couple to get a thicker skin', when we have all been just having a discussion is pretty OTT, imho. Some posters just don't agree with your post, and are expressing that opinion.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Lord, I never seen so much fuss over a wedding date.
No kidding, it's ridiculous.

LaRae
Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
OK. Question here. Just how many of the police force that will be required to provide security for this royal wedding would actually have been stationed to the FA cup final? Is the security force in the UK and the London/Windsor are so small that they couldn't cover both events?

It was mentioned that the troops that would be participating in the royal wedding would also be involved in the practice and the actual Trooping of the Color, are these the same members of the police force that would provide the security for a football game? Just doing a quick search, it came up that there are 33,367 police officers working for the Metropolitan Police in the London area alone. I think those numbers are adequate to provide security for just about anything that happens.

No matter what month, what day or even what year Harry and Meghan decided to marry, unless they planned it for 2020 to assure that everyone and anyone could clear that date and have nothing else planned for that date (even football games), there are going to be conflicts of interests that arise among the general public. In reality though, the general public doesn't matter. We are cordially invited to watch and enjoy this royal wedding but if there is something else that strikes our fancy whether it be a football game, a Memorial Day BBQ or Aunt Prudence's cat's surgery, its no skin off their backs. We accept their choice and do with it as we please. Personally, I'm going to be glued to each and every detail as it happens. Because I can.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think he'll wear one based on his behavior and what we know about him. I don't think it makes any difference though, it's up to the person.

My husband wore one for years (taking it off every day for work due to his job) then later we got a replacement ring (first one lost) and it had a reaction to his skin so he's stopped wearing one. I never even think about it unless something like this comes up in a discussion! He's mentioned getting another one but we've just never done it.

LaRae
Old 12-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
It could've been held on just about any other Saturday in March or July or August!

The wedding could not have been held in March, period. Lent runs from Feb 14 until March 31. A fullblown royal wedding could not be held during this time.

Maybe Meghan and Harry are eager to get started in their lives together and building a family and didn't want to wait until July to get married. Or maybe something else that we don't know about was involved.

And August is out because the Queen has gone to Balmoral.

So yes, May seems to be the best choice.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I'm a fan of this couple but it's a real error in having the wedding on the day of the FA Cup Final.

This wedding did not have to be in May, it could've been literally any Saturday apart from the Easter weekend, Trooping the Colour and the Windsor Horse Show.

The FA Cup Final is the one football match that even fans of teams not involved watch. It is the oldest cup competition in world football. It has a global audience in the hundreds of millions. A great many people, across the UK who aren't all that into football will watch some or all of it.

My main issue though is that this is now a security headache of enormous proportions. Football matches have already been targeted by terrorists as have the royals. The security services must be dreading it. The British taxpayer will be out millions as police are drafted in to work overtime to be able to cover all of this properly. Additionally, it'll cost the BBC a ton of money to cover both events.

This simply did not have to happen. Any other Saturday would have done, in just about any other month. Whoever is in charge of coordinating this is clearly incompetent.
First bolded part: it's not a fact that this date is an error. You think that the date is an error. Fact vs. opinion > different.
Second bolded part: incompetent because you disagree with the chosen date? I understand the reasoning you give, but to say incompetent is a bold thing to say.

I'm sure all options have been weighed - including what you mention - and this date came out. It's not like they picked the calendar and pinpointed May 19th out of the blue.

And not everybody watches the FA Cup Final, a many lot of people do (like soccer here in the Netherlands so I do understand the importance of such an event for those who care about it) - but there are also plenty of folks who don't care and are happy with something else instead.

Alas, you can never win over everybody. Nor do they have to.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
OK. Question here. Just how many of the police force that will be required to provide security for this royal wedding would actually have been stationed to the FA cup final? Is the security force in the UK and the London/Windsor are so small that they couldn't cover both events?

It was mentioned that the troops that would be participating in the royal wedding would also be involved in the practice and the actual Trooping of the Color, are these the same members of the police force that would provide the security for a football game? Just doing a quick search, it came up that there are 33,367 police officers working for the Metropolitan Police in the London area alone. I think those numbers are adequate to provide security for just about anything that happens.

No matter what month, what day or even what year Harry and Meghan decided to marry, unless they planned it for 2020 to assure that everyone and anyone could clear that date and have nothing else planned for that date (even football games), there are going to be conflicts of interests that arise among the general public. In reality though, the general public doesn't matter. We are cordially invited to watch and enjoy this royal wedding but if there is something else that strikes our fancy whether it be a football game, a Memorial Day BBQ or Aunt Prudence's cat's surgery, its no skin off their backs. We accept their choice and do with it as we please. Personally, I'm going to be glued to each and every detail as it happens. Because I can.
Well, that does kind of depend on the time of the wedding

Seriously though, I am now used to the times of Swedish weddings and they were always (ridiculously) late in the afternoon.
If I remember correctly William and Catherine were married late morning/early afternoon? Someone has to refresh my memory here.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I remember right, Will and Kate's wedding started at 11 AM London time. Prewedding TV coverage started around 4 or 5 am London time if I remember right.

One thing I do remember happening is that these threads here on TRF were very, very active throughout the night and up to and through the royal wedding and for weeks afterwards.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I'm sure lots of police will be working that day, with two big events, but really it is one day. I don't believe this wasn't discussed with the proper people who have to provide security. And don't they sometimes they use military for extra security?

People keep talking about troops participating, but this wedding is a more low key wedding at Windsor, not a state or semi-state wedding in London. How many troops will actually be involved?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

The wedding will be in the morning and over by early afternoon. The FA Cup will kick off early evening. Hours will separate these events. I don't think it will be as big of an issue as some think it will be. That said, it will be a very busy and fun day over all no matter your fancy.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Serene Highness

It will be a day full of excitement for sure.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

The two events won’t clash due to the time. Don’t the FA Cup Final starts in the evening? By 12pm Harry and Meghan will be married. After that, folks will just be watching the climax of the wedding, procession and post wedding clips.

I just hope we get full royal family and Markle family portraits. Also, Pictures of the bride alone. It disappointed me that we didn’t get that for the Cambridge’s wedding.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

That is correct. The last FA Cup kicked off at 5:30PM. The wedding will be over by 12pm at the latest. IIRC, William and Kate (which was massive) was done by that time and when I mean done they were kissing on the balcony by 1pm. I remember very well finishing watching it and then was out shopping by mid afternoon. That gives everyone at least 4 hours. It will be fine.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

So everyone should calm down about these two events taking place on the same day. There will be no clash and folks will be able to watch the game later on.

Folks need to understand that these royal wedding dates are very well thought out, planned and family schedules are taken into account.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

If they had to accommodate even a football game, they wouldn’t be able to get married until end of October, if ever.

Someone mentioned July and August, actually they wouldn’t be able to. The Queen and Prince Phillip is at Balmoral at that point until October.

BRF engagements are usually only 6 months. There is no reason why this couple should have to keep waiting just to make it convenient for everyone else over every little thing. On top of that, there are also legal reasons why they can’t marry much beyond early June, which would clash with bigger events.

No one else said this, but I will. The fact of matter is the bride is already 36 here. And if they want a family, they’ll likely start trying right away. Meghan will turn 37 in August. There is no reason why they should have to put off that next stage of their lives together for a football game. If people don’t like it, just don’t watch.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
If they had to accommodate even a football game, they wouldn’t be able to get married until end of October, if ever.

Someone mentioned July and August, actually they wouldn’t be able to. The Queen and Prince Phillip is at Balmoral at that point until October.
I believe the Queen doesn't go to Balmoral until August, When George was born she was quoted as saying the baby needed to get here since she was leaving for Balmoral soon-he was born July 22.
Andrew & Sarah got married July 23 and Charles & Diana July 29.

I think Harry and Meghan didn't want to wait another two months to get married.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder will Harry and Meghan use any of Camilla’s grandchildren. William and Kate had Eliza Lopes.

Lola Parker Bowles will be 10 and her brother Freddie 8. The Lopes twins will also be 8.

I know Diana’s sisters have young grandchildren so it would be nice to see one of them used.