Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are her favorites. She spoke about it and she has many pictures with them.

She has mentioned them 3 times that I can find. Yes, she indeed seems to love them. Whether they are her 'favorite' stands to be seen. She also likes sweet peas, roses and tulips it seems. We will have to wait and see what she chooses for her boquet.

:lol::lol::lol:
My husband and I have our family Christmas get togethers and then we get together and open gifts with a large family that we go to church with. We love our family but we actually enjoy our get together with our friends more than the ones with our family.
We usually stay with my mum for a couple of nights just before Christmas, then on Christmas itself it is just me, my husband and our pet rats. This year I had to go to my mum's alone as hubby just started a new job in retail and couldn't get time off. I saw my mum and her fella and on Xmas Eve my sister came over so I was able to give her our presents, then I got home Christmas Eve. I like actual Christmas to be just us and our pets, like quiet holidays.

You girls who get sent flowers by your husbands are lucky. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary next year, and mine has never sent me flowers. Not that I am a real flower person anyway.

I wonder how big Meghan's bouquet will be. Large one seem to have gone out of fashion. Also it could be a teardrop shape or just a hand-tied posy which seems to be more trendy nowadays. (I had a teardrop bouquet when I got married but for our vow renewal I'm having a hand-tied posy, already got it as it's silk flowers).

Princess Squrirel-Like you we're celebrating our 20th anniversary so let me extend my congratulations to you and your spouse. :flowers:
In 1998 the teardrop shape was still in style here in the U.S. but the hand tied bouquets were just coming into fashion. Since my sister-in-law provide all of the flowers as our wedding gift, I opted for her suggestion of the hand tied style. My original bouquet went to a family member's grave, but she created a second bouquet for me to keep. I dried it and it lasted for years until the day my two cats knocked it off the dresser and it fell apart. Perhaps I should have opted for silk!

Princess Squrirel-Like you we're celebrating our 20th anniversary so let me extend my congratulations to you and your spouse. :flowers:
In 1998 the teardrop shape was still in style here in the U.S. but the hand tied bouquets were just coming into fashion. Since my sister-in-law provide all of the flowers as our wedding gift, I opted for her suggestion of the hand tied style. My original bouquet went to a family member's grave, but she created a second bouquet for me to keep. I dried it and it lasted for years until the day my two cats knocked it off the dresser and it fell apart. Perhaps I should have opted for silk!
Congratulations to you both too! You should consider renewing your vows too maybe. I am inviting mostly different guests to the renewal. My sister didn't come to the wedding, my mum's fella wasn't with her then, my closest friends we didn't know then, and some of my family members I didn't invite, like my aunt, who I knew would never travel down to London. So we are doing the renewal at the registry office where my mum lives. I know the silver anniversary might be considered by some to be a more suitable occasion to renew, but my aunt will be 83 and my mum's fella nearly 80 next year, and I don't want to risk them not being around. Oh and also my sister-in-law is bringing her husband to the renewal who wasn't married to her at the time of our wedding.

Actually 13 posts in 2016 featuring peonies.

Including one with the caption "extra special thanks to Anna at my neighborhood flower shop for finding peonies for me because she knows how much I love them!!!"

So I think it's fair to say that people who suspect her favourite flowers are peonies aren't out in left field.

When thinking of Meghan's bridal bouquet, only one flower came to mind that I thought would be very fitting. I'd like to see Forget-Me-Nots in it. Those flowers have special meaning for Harry as its what Sentebale means. They were used extensively in the entry Harry worked on for the Chelsea Flower Show one year.

Actually 13 posts in 2016 featuring peonies.

Including one with the caption "extra special thanks to Anna at my neighborhood flower shop for finding peonies for me because she knows how much I love them!!!"

So I think it's fair to say that people who suspect her favourite flowers are peonies aren't out in left field.

The other 11 posts included roses, tulips, daisies and plenty of other flowers. 2 specifically mention peonies :ermm:

I will say 'yes they are her absolute favorite flowers' because I grow tired of people trying to convince me they know her personally and know they are her favorite. So by all means you win, I bow down, hopefully this tiresome need to prove me wrong can end.

When thinking of Meghan's bridal bouquet, only one flower came to mind that I thought would be very fitting. I'd like to see Forget-Me-Nots in it. Those flowers have special meaning for Harry as its what Sentebale means. They were used extensively in the entry Harry worked on for the Chelsea Flower Show one year.

Forget me nots would indeed be a nice touch. :flowers:

They are a beautiful color as well and would look fantastic in a bouquet.

She has mentioned them 3 times that I can find. Yes, she indeed seems to love them. Whether they are her 'favorite' stands to be seen. She also likes sweet peas, roses and tulips it seems. We will have to wait and see what she chooses for her boquet.

Meghan has definitely posted a lot of peonies on her IG. She might have posted other flowers, but peonies were quite frequent and definitely consistent.

So, I went and looked up what peonies mean as far as symbolism. This is what I found.

"The traditional floral symbol of China, the state flower of Indiana, and the 12th wedding anniversary flower, peonies are known as the flower of riches and honor. With their lush, full, rounded bloom, peonies embody romance and prosperity and are regarded as an omen of good fortune and a happy marriage."

There we have it. It would be a fitting flower for Meghan's bouquet. Throw in the myrtle and maybe some Forget-Me-Nots and we're all set. Maybe lavender peonies with the blue Forget-Me-Nots?

Kind of reminds me of the old Lavender Blue Dilly Dilly tune by Dinah Shore way back in the age of the dinosaur. :lol:

Personally I'm looking forward to finding out some more details about how the couple are going to involve the public in some way. Are they going to come out with a meet the public invitation the evening before the wedding, a sort of meet and greet? Would they try that, or perhaps open up the Long Walk and have a longer carriage procession, with more royals involved.

This wedding is going to be massive, FA Cup or not, and I do wonder how Windsor is going to cope with a huge influx of tourists and international media descending on the residents there in mid May. Five and a half months to go!

If my one brain cell actually has enough caffeine, I remember the night before William's wedding, he did go out among the people already gathered there for the wedding the next day. It would be neat if Harry did something like this too. Those people get in their viewing spots very early on and wait and wait and wait.

I was also very curious about the statements that allude to "involving the public" and "surprises". Just really whets the anticipation doesn't it? :D

:previous:Curryong:
I think we will all be headed for a breakdown long before then all covered in peonies no less with tiny bluebells and least we forget my favorite flower, Lilacs for that is the smell of heaven....?

Let's try to be civilised and not get into arguments over what Meghan's favourite flower is. Several back and forth posts have been deleted - I think everyone has had their say on the matter now.

If she did have one it will likely be Sarah's daughter. They are close and she used to post about her daughter a bit. I think the main issue would be if the parents are comfortable with the high level of attention but I think there is a greater chance her goddaughters will be in it more especially Ivy.

That's an interesting point and one I hadn't thought about before. Suits is not a major show that will be enough to garner mass attention of the actors and actresses as well as their families; so the casts' children, I can imagine, lead fairly "normal" lives and therefore won't be used to the attention Meghan is now getting.

I hope the bridesmaids and pageboys are from Meghan and Harry's friends and not just Harry.

More like six or seven Instagram posts featuring peonies. One cryptically thanked someone else for giving them to her (that's the one we now know must have been a message to Harry early in their dating), but she'd previously posted about how she treated herself every week or so to a bouquet of flowers, and that the workers at the shop where she bought them sometimes set peonies aside for her because they knew they were her favorites.

How do you know for sure it was to thank him? Or that the flowers were from him?

I think Harry went with William when he did his pre-wedding walkabout the night before the big day. Be cool if William now joined Harry for his turn as a groom.

I can never understand how people do it with staking out a place the night before a big event, be it a royal wedding or the release of a new iPhone! What do they do about calls of nature? I've got a really weak bladder, probably because of anorexia as a teen, and even if I managed to go all night without spending a penny, I would probably be so desperate by the time of the wedding that I wouldn't enjoy it one bit, too busy keeping my legs crossed! Or do they put out portaloos? (An ex-colleague famously told me she had camped out for Charles and Diana's wedding).

I don't know if it is true about Harry wanting to invite the Obamas to his wedding but it is a bad idea because of the way the press will politicize it. Since it is not a state wedding I think he should play it safe and not invite any politician except those that maybe he "has to". I know many will disagree. This is just how I feel.

Last edited:
Is there precedent for ex-politicians attending royal weddings as personal guests of the bride or groom? Obama is a public figure, but he's also a private citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
When talking in this vein, we have to remember too that the "politician" angle would also include Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie who would be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride. :D

If he wants to invite the Obama's as personal friends he should be allowed to.

The Trudeaus are another matter all together. They are currently serving. To invite one PM of a commonwealth country and not others would raise questions. Even if Meghan and Sophie are friends. Can remember the huge controversry of not inviting Blair and Brown not being invited to the Cambridge wedding. People ignored the fact that it was not a state occasion, so the former ministers weren't invited. Thatcher and those former ones invited were invited because they were members of the order of the garter (all members were invited).

Obama is a private citizen and a former president not current. And his and Michelle's personal relationship with Harry is well known.

Is there precedent for ex-politicians attending royal weddings as personal guests of the bride or groom? Obama is a public figure, but he's also a private citizen.

Not that I know of, but then again how many royals have made friends with former heads of state?

Last edited:
When talking in this vein, we have to remember too that the "politician" angle would also include Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie who would be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride. :D
There is one difference though, Barack Obama is no longer an official representative of the U.S. Justin Trudeau is still the Canadian Prime Minister. Even is the Trudeaus are personal friends of Meghan's, it could be an issue,

Personally, I hope that Harry and Meghan go ahead and invite whomever they want to. This is a personal wedding between two people starting their lives together. Its not an "official" engagement nor is it a matter of state or even a semi-state wedding.

If you were in their place and making up the guest list and it was your wedding, would you honestly not invite someone that is a personal friend just because the media *might* politicize it. Lets fact it. The media will make a mountain out of a molehill with any little detail they can find. Its what they do.

Is Meghan actually friends with the Trudeaus, though?

I know we’ve been told that they’re friends a lot in the media, but I’ve never actually seen anything to support the statement. It seems to be more of a “they’ve been seen at the same events and are mutually connected by Jessica Mulroney” than anything else.

I think that IF the Trudeaus are invited only Sophie will attend. It solves the problem of any media issues.

I know we’ve been told that they’re friends a lot in the media, but I’ve never actually seen anything to support the statement. It seems to be more of a “they’ve been seen at the same events and are mutually connected by Jessica Mulroney” than anything else.

I think Meghan is friendly with Sophie. She has posted candid shots on her IG with her and Jessica. One was of them three going to yoga together. I don't think they close friends or anything but who knows. That is my impression. I can see them getting invites for sure though if it doesn't conflict with something.

She has posted candids of Sophie, Jessica and herself in the past. There was also a photo of her and Justin at One Young World and the caption said they talked about social issues, politics, and life and she tagged Ben, Jessica, and Sophie to tell them they were missed. So I do think she’s good friends with the Trudeaus as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom